Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,912 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:19 PM

Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. (18893 Views)

I Sat On My Father's Laps, My Mum Walked In And Warned Me / My Married Jobless Elder Brother Is Sucking My Mum Financially. Help! / Wife Introduction: My Mum Insists On Pregnancy First (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Originalsly: 1:20am On Jun 10, 2023
First option .... grandchildren ... burden her with them. Option Two... send her on a vacation ... if possible with a friend of her choosing... abroad will be best with a different environment ... different culture and different people. Option Three ... there are also males in her age group that have lost someone dear to them ... and are in the same state of loneliness .... connect her with anyone you think is compatible ... connect to be friends ... marriage should be off limits since she may be thinking it will be like adultery if she marries another man. Bottom line ... open a new world for her.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by mukthar2000(m): 3:01am On Jun 10, 2023
Let her remarry soon and always make sure her grandchildrens around her to keep her happy
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 3:07am On Jun 10, 2023
Onionstew:
■ Prayers work wonders... Dedicate a time regularly, weekly to fast and pray to God committing her into His able hands.. Tell God the changes you wish to see in her and use her as a point of contact to widows facing same plite all over the world especially those of the house hold of fairh... Remember to use bible references in your prayers.. God bless
Stop lying to yourself at least! God said He does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous; the prayers, pleas, praises, offerings, good works, etc., of the unrighteous, are tainted by their sins and as such an abomination to God who in turn does not answer them. How can prayers said in unrighteousness work these wonders which you claim? By what power do they do this? undecided

Abeg, make una stop to dey postulate these yeye solutions to problems that instead require practical solutions. OP's mother is depressed. Go to your churches to see many of those there are racked by depression, some of them since they were young, your churches don cure all those ones finish with your many rituals and prescriptions? If you OP wake up tomorrow to hear say him mama don die of heartache, na the same una go tell am then say God's plan is beyond all. undecided
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 3:09am On Jun 10, 2023
Originalsly:
First option .... grandchildren ... burden her with them. Option Two... send her on a vacation ... if possible with a friend of her choosing... abroad will be best with a different environment ... different culture and different people. Option Three ... there are also males in her age group that have lost someone dear to them ... and are in the same state of loneliness .... connect her with anyone you think is compatible ... connect to be friends ... marriage should be off limits since she may be thinking it will be like adultery if she marries another man. Bottom line ... open a new world for her.
So people with grandchildren don't commit suicide or die of what we like to call "heartache" in Nigeria? undecided
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 3:11am On Jun 10, 2023
simple87:
■ Depression is a functional mental health condition and and could lead to suicide or suicidal ideation. Demise of a love one is a known trigger. Unfortunately, in Nigeria mental health is not a priority in our society.Primarily, she would benefit from antidepressant drug but needs to be reviewed by a psychiatrist who can make the prescription. Equally, cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) from a clinical psychologist, and positive activity engagement are important adjunct therapy for depression. This is the standard of care in the NHS (UK) as I work in this setting, please be proactive in getting her a mental assessment.
Thank you oo!

A friend of mine lost a father under similar circumstances. The man was depressed, all while surrounded by friends and family, including a second wife. The dude still turned up dead months after his first wife passed. Another lost the mother just over a year after the father passed. She too was surrounded by family and grandchildren but, that was all for naught in the end as she simply collapsed and was gone one day. undecided
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Originalsly: 3:19am On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:

So people with grandchildren don't commit suicide or die of what we like to call "heartache" in Nigeria? undecided

Did anyone say or suggest people don't?
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 3:22am On Jun 10, 2023
Originalsly:
■ Did anyone say or suggest people don't?
Just wondering how having babies one is likely not ready for or even able to afford is perceived as some sort of cure for depression in the first place. Why not instead insist the woman go volunteer her time at an orphanage if children have that sort of power over mental illness? That to me is a cheaper alternative. undecided
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Originalsly: 3:26am On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Just wondering how having babies one is likely not ready for or even able to afford is perceived as some sort of cure for depression in the first place. Why not instead insist the woman go volunteer her time at an orphanage if children have that sort of power over mental illness? That to me is a cheaper alternative. undecided

From your comment you either did not read the entire post... or you didn't understand what was read.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 3:37am On Jun 10, 2023
Originalsly:
From your comment you either did not read the entire post... or you didn't understand what was read.
Here again is your submission
Originalsly:
First option .... grandchildren ... burden her with them.
Option Two... send her on a vacation ... if possible with a friend of her choosing... abroad will be best with a different environment ... different culture and different people.
Option Three ... there are also males in her age group that have lost someone dear to them ... and are in the same state of loneliness .... connect her with anyone you think is compatible ... connect to be friends ... marriage should be off limits since she may be thinking it will be like adultery if she marries another man. Bottom line ... open a new world for her.
After examining them all, I decided to pick for clarification the first option which not only suggests children have the power to cure depression but also assumes it is safe to have a depressed individual burdened with their care. So, yeah, I did read your post. lipsrsealed
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by greatestman(m): 4:25am On Jun 10, 2023
MRDEE01:
It is grand children that can only make them happy at this stage.

If you or any of your siblings are married and have kids,kindly bring her over so the children can put smiles on her face.

Abeg I dey find car to drive on bolt/uber platform abuja.
I deliver without stories.
N.B- I am experienced

This is equal my advice...
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 4:27am On Jun 10, 2023
MRDEE01:
It is grand children that can only make them happy at this stage.
If you or any of your siblings are married and have kids,kindly bring her over so the children can put smiles on her face.
Abeg I dey find car to drive on bolt/uber platform abuja.
I deliver without stories.
N.B- I am experienced
So all those depressed mothers and fathers who still succumb to their grieve even while surrounded by grandkids and the lot, do we still say they were cured by it? undecided
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by gucci20(m): 4:59am On Jun 10, 2023
Blackazuma99:
Good day to everyone in this forum, please I am in desperate need of your advice.

Early 2014 she lost her dad, 2016 she lost her only brother (my uncle) and then the worst happened in 2021,i lost my father which is her husband, and since then God has been faithful, I graduated same year, my elder sister got a good job same year, we got our first family house same with other benefits.

But the problem has been my mum, she's always depressed and always thinking, thinking of my late dad, we have tried our best as the children to make her happy, especially me the first son. Please i need advice on what to do, I really don't want my mother to die of depression 😞.

Take her out, give her good treat and be prayerful.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Originalsly: 5:22am On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:

Here again is your submission After examining them all, I decided to pick for clarification the first option which not only suggests children have the power to cure depression but also assumes it is safe to have a depressed individual burdened with their care. So, yeah, I did read your post. lipsrsealed

The aim is to not give her down time to reminisce about her husband. Grandparents are usually very fond of their grandchildren. Her mind will have no rest with grandchildren .... she will be focused on them .... and by the time she puts them to sleep ... she will also be too tired and sleepy to reminisce. Hopefully in time ... she will ease out of the depression.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 5:31am On Jun 10, 2023
Originalsly:
■ The aim is to not give her down time to reminisce about her husband. Grandparents are usually very fond of their grandchildren. Her mind will have no rest with grandchildren .... she will be focused on them .... and by the time she puts them to sleep ... she will also be too tired and sleepy to reminisce. Hopefully in time ... she will ease out of the depression.
That same assumption was made when my friend's father fell in to depression after his first wife's death. The kids rallied around bringing the grandkids around regularly to play with him but all that didn't stop the poor man from passing on less than a year after that. This happened back in the early 90s. Had they known then they would have opted for grief counselor in order to save their dad. They were devastated for many many years after the Loss of both their mum and dad in just a span of less than a year. undecided

Depression is not that easily resolved and burdening children with the task of getting someone out of depression, I don't at all think if wise to do given that kids are abound to figure that the depressed individuals remains unhappy even around them and that might potentially scar them. undecided

1 Like

Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Originalsly: 12:01pm On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:

That same assumption was made when my friend's father fell in to depression after his first wife's death. The kids rallied around bringing the grandkids around regularly to play with him but all that didn't stop the poor man from passing on less than a year after that. This happened back in the early 90s. Had they known then they would have opted for grief counselor in order to save their dad. They were devastated for many many years after the Loss of both their mum and dad in just a span of less than a year. undecided

Depression is not that easily resolved and burdening children with the task of getting someone out of depression, I don't at all think if wise to do given that kids are abound to figure that the depressed individuals remains unhappy even around them and that might potentially scar them. undecided

Having grandkids around have taken many out of depression ... the reason why many here are suggesting same. It is just a suggestion because it has worked in soo many situations locally. Counseling by professionals is no guarantee to take anyone out of depression ... nor can one say it will be more effective. Personally.... I would never recommend professional counseling for anyone that age.... brought up in Nigeria. People in developed countries are exposed to professional counselors from an early age.... kindergarten child dies in an accident... counselors flock the school ... school roof collapses... more counselors.... and in so doing from a tender age they are exposed to and learn to trust and share their feelings with counselors. Same happens in Nigeria that child learns how to deal with the situation the best way he can. If he's not doing well ... his parents and family members will console him. At 50 plus years .... it is highly unlikely that a grieving Nigerian born and bred person would be sharing feelings with a complete stranger ... regardless of title. Culture must be taken into consideration when trying to find a solution to such problems and professional counseling is not part of our culture.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Onionstew: 12:36pm On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Stop lying to yourself at least! God said He does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous; the prayers, pleas, praises, offerings, good works, etc., of the unrighteous, are tainted by their sins and as such an abomination to God who in turn does not answer them. How can prayers said in unrighteousness work these wonders which you claim? By what power do they do this? undecided

Abeg, make una stop to dey postulate these yeye solutions to problems that instead require practical solutions. OP's mother is depressed. Go to your churches to see many of those there are racked by depression, some of them since they were young, your churches don cure all those ones finish with your many rituals and prescriptions? If you OP wake up tomorrow to hear say him mama don die of heartache, na the same una go tell am then say God's plan is beyond all. undecided

Before you go dey wag your tongue upandan, why not add to the advice given... Of course he has to seek forgiveness from God and live a repentant life..
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2023
Onionstew:
Before you go dey wag your tongue upandan, why not add to the advice given... Of course he has to seek forgiveness from God and live a repentant life..
Seek forgiveness? Lol... not even close. Before he can go to God, He has to become born-again and then begin to properly seek first the Kingdom of God(Holiness) followed by God's Righteousness, in order that all these things -- the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(including answers to prayers) --- can be added onto him. We are talking here of years of diligence. Does that sound to you like a viable solution to this here problem which he has? undecided
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by DrDunamis(m): 8:37pm On Jun 10, 2023
Blackazuma99:
Good day to everyone in this forum, please I am in desperate need of your advice.

Early 2014 she lost her dad, 2016 she lost her only brother (my uncle) and then the worst happened in 2021,i lost my father which is her husband, and since then God has been faithful, I graduated same year, my elder sister got a good job same year, we got our first family house same with other benefits.

But the problem has been my mum, she's always depressed and always thinking, thinking of my late dad, we have tried our best as the children to make her happy, especially me the first son. Please i need advice on what to do, I really don't want my mother to die of depression 😞.

Get her Spiritual care from her pastor and follow up with medical care
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by RussellRutherfo: 9:14pm On Jun 10, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Seek forgiveness? Lol... not even close. Before he can go to God, He has to become born-again and then begin to properly seek first the Kingdom of God(Holiness) followed by God's Righteousness, in order that all these things -- the blessings and rewards of the Kingdom of God(including answers to prayers) --- can be added onto him. We are talking here of years of diligence. Does that sound to you like a viable solution to this here problem which he has? undecided

This above moniker specializes in typing nonsense all day.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Jun 10, 2023
RussellRutherfo:
■ This above moniker specializes in typing nonsense all day.
You lot are notorious for insulting those not strangled by the same delusions you are yourself shackled by. What is nonsense in telling OP that those delusions he holds to are exactly the type of illness that treatment has been available for in the mental health system for? undecided
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by MRDEE01: 8:37am On Jun 12, 2023
Dpaulie:
Still wan drive bolt for this period (You'll have to convince me oo) Where's your location Message me
check ur mail
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Onionstew: 4:20pm On Jun 12, 2023
Kobojunkie:

You need couching.. If God waited years to answer your prayer after you asked for forgiveness will your kind recognise him as tour God.. Take this home for free, forgivenes goes with giving your life o Jesus
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Jun 12, 2023
Onionstew:
■ You need couching... If God waited years to answer your prayer after you asked for forgiveness will your kind recognise him as tour God..
■ Take this home for free, forgivenes goes with giving your life o Jesus
You don't seem to be paying God at all. He said He does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous — not even their pleas for forgiveness are answered by Him —because the sins of the unrighteous stand between them and God, and as such when an unrighteous asks God for even forgiveness, God does not grant it because the request is an abomination to God. He is the same God of Abraham, David, and even Jesus Christ, so why not? They all had to first become righteous before God then answered their prayers, even their pleas for forgiveness, so what makes you think God changed His mind where you are? undecided

2. Jesus Christ never said any of what you claim at all. So your knowledge of Him — Jesus Christ— is seriously flawed, I am afraid. undecided
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Onionstew: 12:10pm On Jun 13, 2023
Kobojunkie:
You don't seem to be paying God at all. He said He does not answer the prayers of the unrighteous — not even their pleas for forgiveness are answered by Him —because the sins of the unrighteous stand between them and God, and as such when an unrighteous asks God for even forgiveness, God does not grant it because the request is an abomination to God. He is the same God of Abraham, David, and even Jesus Christ, so why not? They all had to first become righteous before God then answered their prayers, even their pleas for forgiveness, so what makes you think God changed His mind where you are? undecided

2. Jesus Christ never said any of what you claim at all. So your knowledge of Him — Jesus Christ— is seriously flawed, I am afraid. undecided

No one can pay God ooo
. Im done with you b4 you will let me sin against God.
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Kobojunkie: 1:52pm On Jun 13, 2023
Onionstew:
■ No one can pay God ooo. Im done with you b4 you will let me sin against God.
You lot like to major in the minor while completely abandoning the major. Up until now all you have done is push lies in the name of God with great confidence too. Now suddenly you are afraid you will sin against God? Abeg waka o'jare! lipsrsealed
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by ItsmeF: 5:17pm On Jun 14, 2023
Blackazuma99:

Bring a little child to live with you guys so she can get busy taking care of the child. A child of like 2yrs, that will take her mind off the worries
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by world123: 5:26pm On Jun 14, 2023
Give her grandchildren. Their disturbance will keep her active
Re: Urgent Advice Needed To Protect My Mum From Depression. by Ayaanmalik: 7:03am On Jun 26, 2023
Are you experiencing restless nights, struggling to find the restful sleep you desire? While there can be various reasons behind sleep-related issues, consulting a neurologist can provide valuable insights and guidance. Here are some factors that may indicate the need to visit a Neurologist for your sleeping issues:

Persistent Insomnia
Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
Sleep-Related Movement Disorders
Sleep Apnea
Parasomnias
Chronic Fatigue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wife Dies After Family Refused Blood Transfusion / Rebuilding A Relationship After An Affair / Words From A Father To His Son About Women And Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.