Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,795 members, 7,817,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers (28914 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kennyswagz1(m): 12:54am On Nov 30, 2019
Datazone:

Like a typical Ijaw man you've succeeded in writing nonsense. That's how you stir up crisis and ethnic clashes. How did Ijaw, a tribe where over 80% are illiterates, become the richest black tribe? Who carried out that survey? Madness runs in your people. You also had the guts to say Ijaws are the fourth largest tribe in Nigeria? Lol. You deluded ape. Ibibio are more than Ijaws. Where did you carry out your analysis to arrive at that conclusion? Tiv are more than the Ijaws. I believe most Nigerians have seen more Urhobos than Ijaws. Even in media, politics (until 2011 when GEJ came in) and sports, Urhobos dominate the Ijaws. I wonder how Ijaws think, this your statement led credence to the fact that majority of you lots take ogogoro before talking
lol.. apart from crude oil, nothing about them.. no contribution in sports, entertainment, agriculture, etc.. upon all the oil, their state is a big shithole

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kennyswagz1(m): 12:55am On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:
It has turned into an ijaw-bashing thread lol

Well, let me say that I like their music, dance, marine regatta and native attire. Very nice and entertaining to watch
which music?
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by nlPoster: 1:02am On Nov 30, 2019
why are we talking of pant again?
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 1:31am On Nov 30, 2019
Datazone:

Like a typical Ijaw man you've succeeded in writing nonsense. That's how you stir up crisis and ethnic clashes. How did Ijaw, a tribe where over 80% are illiterates, become the richest black tribe? Who carried out that survey? Madness runs in your people. You also had the guts to say Ijaws are the fourth largest tribe in Nigeria? Lol. You deluded ape. Ibibio are more than Ijaws. Where did you carry out your analysis to arrive at that conclusion? Tiv are more than the Ijaws. I believe most Nigerians have seen more Urhobos than Ijaws. Even in media, politics (until 2011 when GEJ came in) and sports, Urhobos dominate the Ijaws. I wonder how Ijaws think, this your statement led credence to the fact that majority of you lots take ogogoro before talking
Lol ijaw hater spotted grin you cant even hide your distate, what a dweeb.. I see nothing wrong with what OP has put down if you dont like it.. why not write something else about your ethnic group to make yourself feel better ... people like you are the reason why hate speech bill is in consideration today.. becareful so you dont end up a scapegoat

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 1:35am On Nov 30, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
lol.. apart from crude oil, nothing about them.. no contribution in sports, entertainment, agriculture, etc.. upon all the oil, their state is a big shithole

Typical African man talk (apart from oil, nothing about them) apart from your old age yet meaningless life... I dont think theres anything to write home about you

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Wickedfacts: 2:08am On Nov 30, 2019
technicallyrich:
Plese remember that ijaws are the richest blask tribe on earth and the strongest and bravest in nigeria.
And our closet brothers,the igbos are the most talented and most creative black people on earth.
Go to aba and see creativity and talent for yourself.
Jehovah bless ss and se.
God bless biafrans
some facts about the Great ijaws.
- ijaws are the 4th largest ethnic group in nigeria,
- ijaws dont speak one laguage.some speak ijaw,while so many speak igbos owing to the fact that most of our ancestors married igbo women.very few ijaws speak yoruba and uhrobo.
- ijaws are the real owners of lagos and ondo state in the west.
-it is an abomination for an ijaw man to suck a woman pusy or walk under were a woman spread her pant.
- ijaws have bn traced to even taraba and abia state.
- peopele erroneosly think Ijaws are only in bayelsa state.ijaws in rivers state are opobo,abual,odual,okrika,kalabiri,bonny etc.
-

Ijaws are the strongest and bravest?

Go and ask Ijaws what they did to them in Edo State recently. Thereafter, ask them what OPC did to them in Ajegunle in the late 90s and early 2,000s.

Ijaws are peculiar being a riverine people. However, they aren't more rich, strong, brave, educated or better than others. Heck, Ijaws don't even have a fishing competition as popular as Argungu fishing festival and they don't have a single notable swimmer.

However, the average Ijaw man can wreck a whole brewery.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 2:20am On Nov 30, 2019
Wickedfacts:

Ijaws are the strongest and bravest?

Go and ask Ijaws what they did to them in Edo State recently. Thereafter, ask them what OPC did to them in Ajegunle in the late 90s and early 2,000s.

Ijaws are peculiar being a riverine people. However, they aren't more rich, strong, brave, educated or better than others. Heck, Ijaws don't even have a fishing competition as popular as Argungu fishing festival and they don't have a single notable swimmer.

However, the average Ijaw man can wreck a whole brewery.
That guy is just trolling
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by billynoni(m): 2:27am On Nov 30, 2019
Thanks for the confusion on this thread, as we've learnt NOTHING ABOUT IJAW PEOPLE, as far as some of us are concerned. To the mod, who pushed this to FP... Just wait at the gate of heaven on judgment day.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by KosiGee(m): 2:35am On Nov 30, 2019
ijawgirl:

yup - - very well~

How come Ijaws have not been winning gold medals even in All African games.

You wrote that it’s part of your custom to ‘throw’ the baby inside the river!!!...and if it floats, it shows that the baby would be a good swimmer. What happens when the baby fail to float or drown?
If you guys practice that, I think there should be a massive campaign to protest such cruelty and abuse to children.

If ijaws have failed to develop better lung capacity or even gills to adapt to your marine environment and triumph in international swimming competitions, then your post isn’t worth it.
Kenyans and Ethiopians are natural born long distance runners, Cubans have a tradition of boxing, Chinese practice karate and they have all made names for themselves in those areas...how can you be praising Ijaw man and his bond with water even before he could blink but nothing has come out of. I doubt if the Ijaws are better swimmers than Urhobo, kalabari and other riverline tribes.

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by YolobaMuslim: 2:59am On Nov 30, 2019
Psalm4kute:

My guy pls.. I have no problem with igbos.. but pls dont bring biafra into this topic
Why are you mentioning Igbo into this?
Wetin concern Igbo with Ijaw?
Seems like you are high on your usual ogogoro. grin
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by noisy45(m): 3:15am On Nov 30, 2019
technicallyrich:

you are very funny.
Niaja girls are useless.no matter the tribe.just have little money you go bleep tire.
I serve in ibadan,i fuk yoruba girls tire.
When i was an undergraduate,majority of my girls were igbos.

Ride on bro
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by noisy45(m): 3:16am On Nov 30, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
them violent like mad

Yes if u want to start controlling there way of life
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by YolobaMuslim: 3:22am On Nov 30, 2019
technicallyrich:
Plese remember that ijaws are the richest blask tribe on earth and the strongest and bravest in nigeria.
And our closet brothers,the igbos are the most talented and most creative black people on earth.
Go to aba and see creativity and talent for yourself.
Jehovah bless ss and se.
God bless biafrans
some facts about the Great ijaws.
- ijaws are the 4th largest ethnic group in nigeria,
- ijaws dont speak one laguage.some speak ijaw,while so many speak igbos owing to the fact that most of our ancestors married igbo women.very few ijaws speak yoruba and uhrobo.
- ijaws are the real owners of lagos and ondo state in the west.
-it is an abomination for an ijaw man to suck a woman pusy or walk under were a woman spread her pant.
- ijaws have bn traced to even taraba and abia state.
- peopele erroneosly think Ijaws are only in bayelsa state.ijaws in rivers state are opobo,abual,odual,okrika,kalabiri,bonny etc.
-
Ijaws are the biggest Nigerian ethnic group and are indigenous of Anambra, Abuja, Lagos, Kano, China, India, USA....

Typical land grabbing Ijaw...
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by czarr(m): 3:49am On Nov 30, 2019
kabukabu:
someone please kill this thread and put it out of its misery, cool, or better yet drown it.
It will not drown, remember it's an ijaw thread.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by dinocy(m): 4:33am On Nov 30, 2019
[b]The first step is to throw the baby into the river, if it floats in the water it is interpreted to be an Ijaw and thus will be able to swim with proper training.""

I am an ijaw boy and i grew up in the riverine area, i learned how to swim at a very tender age because my father taught me but the above statement is not true.

3 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by dinocy(m): 4:35am On Nov 30, 2019
Kennyswagz1:

Is the country not a shithole ? Tell me where you are from and i will tell you how bleeped you are.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 4:39am On Nov 30, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
which music?

They have melodious and interesting music

King Robert Ebizimo, General Mother, Rex Lawson

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by OlaPhils(m): 4:40am On Nov 30, 2019
I WONDER WHY THEY CAN'T PRODUCE AND OLYMPIC SWIMMER, EVEN A SWIMMER THAT CAN COMPETE WITH SOUTH AFRICAN SWIMMERS
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by dictbennie(m): 5:10am On Nov 30, 2019
Kennyswagz1:

Please go and cure your ignorance. Samson Siasia, Finidi George, Timi Dakolo, Timaya, Igali(wrestling champion), John Pepper Clark etc are from your tribe abi?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by dictbennie(m): 5:14am On Nov 30, 2019
[b]The first step is to throw the baby into the river, if it floats in the water it is interpreted to be an Ijaw and thus will be able to swim with proper training.[b]

This is a myth..
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by pcicero(m): 5:17am On Nov 30, 2019
DisGuy:

cool

You woke a sleeping giant shocked
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Judybash93(m): 5:19am On Nov 30, 2019
gaskydudu:
Perfect candidates to train for the Olympics swimming? grin

Were you reading my mind bro?
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Judybash93(m): 5:23am On Nov 30, 2019
An educative thread that people could just have read and moved has now turned into a tribal war zone. Hmmmm... This contraption was a British mistake...jizzzz

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by pcicero(m): 5:24am On Nov 30, 2019
This thread was started in 2011 at the height of the Ijaws' drunkeness on power. They quickly forgot that Jonathan's presidency then was a national mandate.

After his victory at the polls, they, along with their confederates, started ostracizing others and the presidency was subsumed as Ijaw/Igbo mandate.

Narratives like this by the OP were promoted all over the media to isolate themselves from fellow Niger-Deltans and eventually other well-meaning Nigerians.

It was thus easy for Jonathan to lose at the 2015 polls.

Students of Nigerian Political history should learn.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 5:30am On Nov 30, 2019
pcicero:
This thread was started in 2011 at the height of the Ijaws' drunkeness on power. They quickly forgot that Jonathan's presidency then was a national mandate.

After his victory at the polls, they, along with their confederates, started ostracizing others and the presidency was subsumed as Ijaw/Igbo mandate.

Narratives like this by the OP were promoted all over the media to isolate themselves from fellow Niger-Deltans and eventually other well-meaning Nigerians.

There is nothing even slightly political about the OP.

A culture piece detailing the customs and origins of Ijaw people cant be construed as a marker of arrogance, just because they had the presidency at the time it was written

The person did not mention any other tribe in her writing neither did she indicate any notion of superiority over them.

So they shouldnt write anything about themselves again just so as not to offend you

5 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by pcicero(m): 5:36am On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:

There is nothing even slightly political about the OP.

A fluff piece detailing the customs and origins of Ijaw people cant be construed as a marker of arrogance, just because they had the presidency

The person did not mention any other tribe in her writing neither did she indicate any notion of superiority over them.

So they shouldnt write anything about themselves again just so as not to offend you

I am sure you didn't see this:

everything about the Ijaws is interrelated with water. “[b]Unlike in the north where they dance like antelopes, w[/b]e dance like fishes. Our dance steps are like the movements of the fish and the wagging of their tails in the waters, The Ijaw masquerades usually wear heads of the fishes. All our festivals have their origins from water. Our ways of life are influenced by our environment which is surrounded by water.”
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Neddyogu(m): 5:36am On Nov 30, 2019
marjo:
when i saw this thread i actually opened it thinking i would get to know more about ijaw people only to see a very watery treatise.
the thread is not worth its salt.

Yea. Nothing new.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by VeeRoyal: 5:38am On Nov 30, 2019
henryskywalker2003:

So, in essence, you guys are like the Southern Water Tribe and the northerners are like Earth Kingdom. Hmmmm, Apart from being a good swimmer can you do water bending too? Cos I'm the Avatar and am in need of a water bending teacher.
hahahahha.... You Sabi the way....after dat one na to go to Edo for more Air bending skills... smiley
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 5:38am On Nov 30, 2019
pcicero:
I am sure you didn't see this:

everything about the Ijaws is interrelated with water. “[b]Unlike in the north where they dance like antelopes, w[/b]e dance like fishes. Our dance steps are like the movements of the fish and the wagging of their tails in the waters, The Ijaw masquerades usually wear heads of the fishes. All our festivals have their origins from water. Our ways of life are influenced by our environment which is surrounded by water.”

Yes, I saw it. Care to expand on why you selected it?

Does it offend you

The person was just comparing the difference between dance styles in different regions and their likeness to wildlife found within them. I actually found the description helpful in explaining why Bayelsa/Rivers have that particular way of dancing

The "antelope" comparison probably alluded to the way northerners canter and jump while dancing. It is a neutral statement and, considering the tone of the rest of the piece, was probably not deliberately written to offend.

Even if the person was trying to yab other tribes, that was peculiar to them and not necessarily political

So any time a Katsina person writes any cultural article, we should all be offended just because Buhari is finishing us or what

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Wickedfacts: 5:44am On Nov 30, 2019
pcicero:

You are a very sensible and intelligent person.

The problem Jonathan had wasn't the Niger Delta, it was the Igbos who turned him against the other ND ethnicities and Nigerians in general. Remember how they named Goodluck Azikiwe and called the Northerners born to rule?

The Urhobos, Itsekiris, Annangs, Efiks, etc got their fair share of insults from idiots who were making enemies for Jonathan.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Neddyogu(m): 5:46am On Nov 30, 2019
KosiGee:

How come Ijaws have not been winning gold medals even in All African games.

You wrote that it’s part of your custom to ‘throw’ the baby inside the river!!!...and if it floats, it shows that the baby would be a good swimmer. What happens when the baby fail to float or drown?
If you guys practice that, I think there should be a massive campaign to protest such cruelty and abuse to children.

If ijaws have failed to develop better lung capacity or even gills[color=#990000][/color] to adapt to your marine environment and triumph in international swimming competitions, then your post isn’t worth it.
Kenyans and Ethiopians are natural born long distance runners, Cubans have a tradition of boxing, Chinese practice karate and they have all made names for themselves in those areas...how can you be praising Ijaw man and his bond with water even before he could blink but nothing has come out of. I doubt if the Ijaws are better swimmers than Urhobo, kalabari and other riverline tribes.

grin grin grin guy wetin dey do you? Anyway, competitive swimming and natural swimming are two different kettles of fish btw.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sleepless Ordeals Of Nigerians.. / Omu-ekiti: A Community Filled With Strange Tales And Mysteries / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola Celebrate Children's Day With Kids(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.