Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,349 members, 7,957,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:13 AM

Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers (29718 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by April4th(m): 1:20pm On Nov 30, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
maybe that's why the Yoruba nation are so reluctant to take up his case Sha cos they feel it's not one of them so it's more of an ijaw fight to propagate for the release of their son

Sowore fought against his own (GEJ), that’s why he’s suffering alone.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 1:29pm On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:

[s]
Noted. But I still think he has been able to coast over some difficulties by identifying more with the south-west rather than the south-south

Plus I dont see how you can say that a presidential candidate has never been political. At least there are some games they play to influence the electorate. I have never for once seen him in distinguishing Ijaw attire or even that Fedora hat. Or Ondo Ijaws dont wear that [/s]
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by technicallyrich(m): 1:46pm On Nov 30, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
they're are not. my colleagues here is Kalabari and each time I bring up the ijaw issue, she flairs up.
also Kalabari are not part of your useless biafra
she is an illittterate that dont know her tribe.
Anyway birds of the same feather flock together,emptycocoanut head.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Efewestern: 5:50pm On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

Sowore has never been political. Plus the Ijaws understand the variations within them perfectly. South-Western Ijaws found in Ese Odo LG in Ondo State today, though Niger Deltan, don't necessarily see themselves as brothers with those in the South South. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they hate themselves. They are more clannish than the Igbos. Those in the South South see those in the South West as mixed blood, which is where the 'full born' gist of the OP emanated from.

Those in Edo don't necessarily see themselves as kindred with those in Delta, Rivers and even Bayelsa. Everyone faces their business and only see those around them.

Recall Dickson recently referred to a certain LG in Bayelsa as not being real Ijaws and they very well protested by voting against his candidate. That gives you an idea of the clannish nature of the Ijaw man.

In the case of Sowore and Jonathan, it was more of activism and angst than political.

@bolded Not entirely true, I have met some Ijaws from Ondo and who have strong ties with those in Delta State, often times, they do claim to be Deltans. I was surprised to know the Ijaw dialect in Ondo is very similar to the one being spoken in Gbamaturu.

Dickson was damn wrong, the parts he claimed to be real Ijaws were places greatly influenced by the Urhobos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Irore: 6:46pm On Nov 30, 2019
tpia5:
any knowledgeable person who can attempt to answer posts 1 and 2?

more importantly, how did ijaws start living on water.

any verifiable myths, legends, oral history which address this.

Is it true that the Ijaws are 1. Alleged witches and wizards of upland people sold into slavery? 2. Very cruel, erratic, easily aggrieved and violent people?
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 6:54pm On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:

Noted. But I still think he has been able to coast over some difficulties by identifying more with the south-west rather than the south-south
Why this is so, I think, is because he had his tertiary education in Lagos. However, Sowore personally does not identify with any region. He'd tell you he is a Nigerian and only interested in the growth and development of Nigeria. And I'm almost certain you'd never see him in a typical Yoruba attire. He is an activist and that is what makes sense to him the most.

Plus I dont see how you can say that a presidential candidate has never been political. At least there are some games they play to influence the electorate. I have never for once seen him in distinguishing Ijaw attire or even that Fedora hat. Or Ondo Ijaws dont wear that
Sowore's brand of politics is what any activist would play in a saner clime. Call for a better government and even push to be a part of the government to effect the change you want.

The best you'd see Sowore in is similar to what almost revolutionary would don. Sahara Reporters make over a million Naira in revenue monthly. It wouldn't cause Sowore a thing to remain quiet over the affairs of Nigeria. Sowore doesn't need the position. Nigerians need a vibrant, radical approach to governance. South Africa is a testament of this...

Sowore doesn't need to don a Fedora hat to be Ijaw. I have never worn a bead nor don the typical Urhobo in my life. It doesn't make me less an Urhobo man, a proud one at that. He is an activist and that, I'm sure, is why he doesn't do the identity thing.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 6:54pm On Nov 30, 2019
Irore:

Is it true that the Ijaws are 1. Alleged witches and wizards of upland people sold into slavery? 2. Very cruel, erratic, easily aggrieved and violent people?
At the emboldened... It's true, to a reasonable extent.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 6:57pm On Nov 30, 2019
Efewestern:

@bolded Not entirely true, I have met some Ijaws from Ondo and who have strong ties with those in Delta State, often times, they do claim to be Deltans. I was surprised to know the Ijaw dialect in Ondo is very similar to the one being spoken in Gbamaturu.

Dickson was damn wrong, the parts he claimed to be real Ijaws were places greatly influenced by the Urhobos.
Some, not all. It's almost the same way the Igboness of those in Delta is discussed. Most claim they are not Igbos while some align and think themselves Igbos.

Dickson is only a representation of the clannish Ijaw people who think themselves true while other Ijaws are either mixed or now 'true blood'.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 7:22pm On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

Some, not all. It's almost the same way the Igboness of those in Delta is discussed. Most claim they are not Igbos while some align and think themselves Igbos.

Dickson is only a representation of the clannish Ijaw people who think themselves true while other Ijaws are either mixed or now 'true blood'.

Do you have any ijaw heritage?
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 7:24pm On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:

Do you have any ijaw heritage?
Lol... Not at all. Purely Urhobo.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 7:34pm On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

Why this is so, I think, is because he had his tertiary education in Lagos. However, Sowore personally does not identify with any region. He'd tell you he is a Nigerian and only interested in the growth and development of Nigeria. And I'm almost certain you'd never see him in a typical Yoruba attire. He is an activist and that is what makes sense to him the most.

Okay. Yeah, sure I never see him in Yoruba attire either but thats by the way. I am speculating more on the absence of Ijaw identity than presence of Yoruba, since most people associate Ondo state with Yorubas. So my point was that he may be riding on their coattails a little bit by refusing to conspicuously identify with his own tribe, one way being his clothing, which is one of the obvious markers of tribal identity in Nigeria.

Many people think he is Yoruba and not Ijaw. He benefits from this politically, because we all know how difficult it will be for a conspicuous Ijaw to get back into office again.

Sanchez01:
Sowore's brand of politics is what any activist would play in a saner clime. Call for a better government and even push to be a part of the government to effect the change you want.

The best you'd see Sowore in is similar to what almost revolutionary would don. Sahara Reporters make over a million Naira in revenue monthly. It wouldn't cause Sowore a thing to remain quiet over the affairs of Nigeria. Sowore doesn't need the position. Nigerians need a vibrant, radical approach to governance. South Africa is a testament of this...

Fair enough. I can buy that.

Sanchez01:
Sowore doesn't need to don a Fedora hat to be Ijaw. I have never worn a bead nor don the typical Urhobo in my life. It doesn't make me less an Urhobo man, a proud one at that.

I didnt say so. But ethnic pride is often expressed through attire. That you or he chooses to eschew it doesnt make this less of a fact.

As I said, that is one of the main outward distinguishers of ethnicity in this country (and society at large).

This is especially important in a colonial hotchpotch like this where the biggest marker, native language, has been suppressed by our adopting English as the official medium for public discourse.

Sanchez01:
He is an activist and that, I'm sure, is why he doesn't do the identity thing.

Makes sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 7:41pm On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:
Lol... Not at all. Purely Urhobo.

Okay
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Efewestern: 7:58pm On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

You can not compare this to that of Delta Igbo, the Ijaws in Ondo migrated to that axis some 300 years ago from nearby riverine communities, just like the way the Urhobo kingdoms in warri migrated from Ughelli, Udu, etc. They already had an identity.

Those from Delta North migrated from various places, but were greatly influenced by Igbo. See the difference?

@bolded That was his greatest mistake.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Efewestern: 8:15pm On Nov 30, 2019
Irore:

Is it true that the Ijaws are 1. Alleged witches and wizards of upland people sold into slavery? ...

Those days, witches from my tribe were sent to Ijaw land for cleansing, so it might be the reason people think Ijaws were wizards, not true thou.

cc: Sanchez01

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 8:36pm On Nov 30, 2019
Efewestern:

Those days, witches from my tribe were sent to Ijaw land for cleansing, so it might be the reason people think Ijaws were wizards, not true thou.

cc: Sanchez01
LMAO... I need to read up on this. I got a fair gist of this tale years back but not everything. The 'why' was never explained.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Efewestern: 9:33pm On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

LMAO... I need to read up on this. I got a fair gist of this tale years back but not everything. The 'why' was never explained.

The "Why" is still unclear grin. Till date some Ijaws from Bayelsa are still scared of the Urhobos, our forefathers show them pepper gan.

The Ijaws are very related to Urhobo thou, so many Ijaw communities in Delta state speak Urhobo as their second language.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by austinelex: 11:52pm On Nov 30, 2019
Did kind of people water spirit go possess them like mad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 8:47am On Dec 01, 2019
Datazone:

You're a big mumu. You don't know the history of your country Nigeria and your people. The Portuguese explorers were the first to explore Nigeria before Britain. Use Google to clarify, Binis and Itsekiris were they first to make contact with white men. Oba Esigie from Benin is the first to speak English and, Olu Antonio Dom Domingos (an Itsekiri king) is the first graduate king in West Africa (in 1642). If you had attended any university in Nigeria, you must have been taught in your general studies done in 100L.

Another stupid post that shows Ijaws in Rivers and their counterpart in Bayelsa and Delta reason like goats was when you affirmed that Ijaws are the fourth largest. Until Jonathan, most Nigerians haven't even heard a tribe called Ijaw exist. Ibibio and Tivs are more than the Ijaws. Urhobos dominate Ijaws in all spheres of human endeavours yet they don't disturb us about being the fourth largest.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
E pain this one
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 8:50am On Dec 01, 2019
Datazone:

There's nothing to check on Google. I know this before I turned 11. It is you who need to check what I said to ascertain the authenticity.

This one is a refined illiterate grin grin grin grin

You are forming Woke Soyinka behind your keyboard. grin grin cheesy
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 10:24am On Dec 01, 2019
Datazone:

The Tiv and Kanuris are larger than the Ijaws. It was Jonathan who imposed that mentality on you guys and twisted the media that you're that fourth. Before Jonathan, who knew Ijaws existed? Calabar people were known in Nigeria unlike the Ijaws. You guys are minority claiming relevance. Every source that points to Ijaws being the fourth largest came during and after Jonathan's election as President, why?

www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/fourth-largest-ethnic-group-marginalizing-us-orchivirigh-professor-james-tells-govt

An argument on Nairaland:
https://www.nairaland.com/2918049/fourth-largest-ethnic-group-nigeria

Read the screenshot below and see that Bayelsa is not a complete Ijaw state, there are Urhobos and Isoko who are native of Bayelsa. There are no Ijaws in akwaibom. Ijaws are a small group of people in the riverine area, it was Jonathan who brought them to limelight
midnighter:
The truth is that until people stop manipulating census figures, we wont know who is how much in Nigeria.

The other factor is ethnic cohesion.

Do we count Ibibios and Efiks together?

Do Kalabari, Okrika and Izon see themselves as part of the main Ijaw collective?

Are Urhobo and Isoko interchangeable terms?

Most of those Niger Delta groups are too disparate to make a sizeable collective political impact.

As for me I was under the impression that the Ibibios were the 4th largest group in Nigeria...I stand to be corrected...

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 10:37am On Dec 01, 2019
UniportAgbero:

You havent answered my question dear, Just check the comments on any "Se Teme" video on youtube and see all the Kalabaris and Ijaws arguing with themselves
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 10:39am On Dec 01, 2019
midnighter:

[s]
You havent answered my question dear, Just check the comments on any "Se Teme" video on youtube and see all the Kalabaris and Ijaws arguing with themselves[/s]
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 10:52am On Dec 01, 2019
Compare and Contrast

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 11:42am On Dec 01, 2019
Datazone:

You're a big mumu. You don't know the history of your country Nigeria and your people. The Portuguese explorers were the first to explore Nigeria before Britain. Use Google to clarify, Binis and Itsekiris were they first to make contact with white men. Oba Esigie from Benin is the first to speak English and, Olu Antonio Dom Domingos (an Itsekiri king) is the first graduate king in West Africa (in 1642). If you had attended any university in Nigeria, you must have been taught in your general studies done in 100L.

Another stupid post that shows Ijaws in Rivers and their counterpart in Bayelsa and Delta reason like goats was when you affirmed that Ijaws are the fourth largest. Until Jonathan, most Nigerians haven't even heard a tribe called Ijaw exist. Ibibio and Tivs are more than the Ijaws. Urhobos dominate Ijaws in all spheres of human endeavours yet they don't disturb us about being the fourth largest.

You're stupidity can't be explained. It's a big turnoff!! You asked me to use google to clarify, and I have. According to google Ijaw is the 4th Largest ethnic group in Nigeria. You can now hang yourself.

To even put your foolishness in perspective, you disclosed that Ijaws reason like goats. Oya clap for yourself!!! Because Goats are reasonable? In your village, you were told that a goat reasons abi? It is your husband that I pity, that is if any man would put you in his house as wife (I doubt, honestly)
I hope you get paid for abusing other tribes, ethnocentric bitch!!
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 1:05pm On Dec 02, 2019

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 8:40pm On Dec 03, 2019
midnighter:

That's Ibibio's 4 million vs Ijaw's 12 million
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 10:19pm On Dec 03, 2019
UniportAgbero:
That's Ibibio's 4 million vs Ijaw's 12 million

Hmm..I will keep on the look out. But my instinct tells me that ibibios are more than ijaw. I just started hearing about ijaw recently though maybe that is more political.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 8:03pm On Dec 04, 2019
midnighter:

Hmm..I will keep on the look out. But my instinct tells me that ibibios are more than ijaw. I just started hearing about ijaw recently though maybe that is more political.

So you've never heard of Kalabari, Okrika, Opobo, and Bonny before?

Ibibios only found in akwa ibom and parts of cross river. What I expect you to do is a little unresearch. Check Census figures.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 8:15pm On Dec 04, 2019
UniportAgbero:

So you've never heard of Kalabari, Okrika, Opobo, and Bonny before?

Ibibios only found in akwa ibom and parts of cross river. What I expect you to do is a little unresearch. Check Census figures.

Plenty of those people are always arguing that they are distinct groups and not ijaw.

You can go to YouTube and check the comments of any kalabari song and see all of them insulting themselves.

You can't claim people who don't want to be claimed. Is it not what you people always tell us about the ikwerres?

Remove all those groups from your stats first.

Only count "core" ijaw, whatever that means, or allow ibibio, Efik, annang, oron, ejagham, eket and all the rest to be counted together.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 8:53pm On Dec 04, 2019
midnighter:

Plenty of those people are always arguing that they are distinct groups and not ijaw.

You can go to YouTube and check the comments of any kalabari song and see all of them insulting themselves.

You can't claim people who don't want to be claimed. Is it not what you people always tell us about the ikwerres?

Remove all those groups from your stats first.

Only count "core" ijaw, whatever that means, or allow ibibio, Efik, annang, oron, ejagham, eket and all the rest to be counted together.

I don't know what you're talking about oh. My Mom is Okrika and my dad is Kalahari...So I'm surprised I'm hearing this.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by nlPoster: 9:20pm On Dec 04, 2019
Kalabari having Ijaw origins is not far fetched because in olden days Ijaws did not allow certain phenotypes, any child with some characteristics (eg not dark), was exiled and considered outcast, at the very least.

Cultural norms such as these can give rise to communities with links to the original ones but not outright association with them.

My guess, barring migratory explanations.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 9:38pm On Dec 04, 2019
UniportAgbero:

I don't know what you're talking about oh. My Mom is Okrika and my dad is Kalahari...So I'm surprised I'm hearing this.

Lol! You are one of the harmonious ones.

They argue furiously about it at times

What about what that dude wrote about Ondo ijaw not being considered "true" ijaw? Are you still going to count them?

You south-south people are quite complicated

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / Nigerian Slay Queens Twerk For Masquerade (photos) / Benin Traditional Worshippers Embark On Acts Of Purification And Sanctification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.