Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers (28925 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 6:05am On Nov 30, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
Apart from militancy, ogogoro, violence and fishing, what else is there about ijaws again?
Bunkering... They are the best at it.

The Ijaws are interesting people, sincerely. I grew up with them and the Ilajes and both tribe share an uncanny affinity with water. Strangely, both took me out to the river for my swimming lessons around 11. Crazy experience!

The thread is watery though.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Chigold101(m): 6:06am On Nov 30, 2019
ijawgirl:
            Due to the riverine and swampy nature of their environment in the south south states, they have over the years, established a perfect relationship with the rivers that surround them. “The Ijaw culture and customs are water dominated. This is because God has blessed us with water.

Because of their attachment to rivers, the Ijaw cultural, social, economic and  religious lives are defined and influenced by water. Water, is said, has no enemy. According to some Ijaw elders, “water is friendlier to the Ijaw people,” however, every Ijaw is expected to be a good swimmer so he or she can survive capsizing of boats when it happens.

Through life experiences, the ancestors have developed a social system that makes the Ijaw feel comfortable being around water.  It is not unusual for Ijaw children, especially those born or raised at home, as young as four, to become expert swimmers and divers.   By the time they reach ten years old, most have become prolific swimmers.

The first, every free born of Ijaw must be able to swim irrespective of the size, the wave, or current of the river or sea. To this end an Ijaw family start to train its child only some days after birth. The first step is to throw the baby into the river, if it floats in the water it is interpreted to be an Ijaw and thus will be able to swim with proper training.""

everything about the Ijaws is interrelated with water. “Unlike in the north where they dance like antelopes, we dance like fishes. Our dance steps are like the movements of the fish and the wagging of their tails in the waters, The Ijaw masquerades usually wear heads of the fishes. All our festivals have their origins from water. Our ways of life are influenced by our environment which is surrounded by water.”

boat regattas as part of Ijaw festivities, symbolizes “the early days when our forefathers used to go to war in the waters so as to conquer neighbouring communities and make them their slaves. That reminds us of that.” He said there are two types of boat regattas: the ceremonial boat regatta and the war boat regatta.

The Ijaws have a lot of idioms and proverbs which are water inclined. One popular Ijaw proverb goes thus: “when you see a hippopotamus pursuing a canoe in the river, it is not actually interested in the canoe, but what is inside the canoe.  As soon as the person insight jumps into the water, that ends the pursuit
If Ijaw people can swim, why is Nigeria not winning gold medals in swimming?
Nobody on Ijaw land is "prolific" swimmer

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 6:19am On Nov 30, 2019
KosiGee:

How come Ijaws have not been winning gold medals even in All African games.
Ijaws are truly amazing swimmers. I have seen them do the extraordinary in rivers over the years. Like they can submerge longer than the average person. Unfortunately, ball jugglers are more talented than footballers, but it doesn't make them better. You dig? That is the case of the Ijaw people. I'm sure they can better represent Nigeria at swimming competitions with rigorous trainings as their patterns are loose. Tendencies are that longer swimming styles can inhibit their versatility in water as they have not been trained to do that over time.

You wrote that it’s part of your custom to ‘throw’ the baby inside the river!!!...and if it floats, it shows that the baby would be a good swimmer. What happens when the baby fail to float or drown?
If you guys practice that, I think there should be a massive campaign to protest such cruelty and abuse to children.
This practice is not new in any way. The Ijaws and Ilajes almost have this mentality and I have seen them do this upclose. It's their way of checking freeborns and bastards among them. Plus, I have never heard that a child drown through that process neither did I witness one growing up.

If ijaws have failed to develop better lung capacity or even gills to adapt to your marine environment and triumph in international swimming competitions, then your post isn’t worth it.
They have indeed.

Kenyans and Ethiopians are natural born long distance runners, Cubans have a tradition of boxing, Chinese practice karate and they have all made names for themselves in those areas...how can you be praising Ijaw man and his bond with water even before he could blink but nothing has come out of. I doubt if the Ijaws are better swimmers than Urhobo, kalabari and other riverline tribes.
I think the closest or perhaps the best to the Ijaws are the Ilaje people of Ondo State. Ijaws fish just as Ilajes but their activities in water bodies have transcended beyond just fishing today. Not all Urhobos can swim.

4 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 6:41am On Nov 30, 2019
Psalm4kute:

Lol ijaw hater spotted grin you cant even hide your distate, what a dweeb.. I see nothing wrong with what OP has put down if you dont like it.. why not write something else about your ethnic group to make yourself feel better ... people like you are the reason why hate speech bill is in consideration today.. becareful so you dont end up a scapegoat
You're an Ijaw guy that's why. The poster said Ijaw is the 4th largest and the richest black tribe in Nigeria and on Earth respectively yet you see nothing wrong with it. You see nothing wrong in lies and misguided statements yet you had the temerity to quote me citing hate speeches. Kontinuu!

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by jojothaiv(m): 6:49am On Nov 30, 2019
gaskydudu:
Perfect candidates to train for the Olympics swimming? grin
Potential 'Michael Phelps' go boku there..
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by jojothaiv(m): 6:54am On Nov 30, 2019
It's interesting to know about the 'water' side of the Ijaws but what is this 'the north dance like antelope'

Op, Sannu de aiki....

As a Gugbe person, we stay close to water too..

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kuginzi: 6:58am On Nov 30, 2019
Give us Biafra

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by technicallyrich(m): 7:00am On Nov 30, 2019
KosiGee:

How come Ijaws have not been winning gold medals even in All African games.

You wrote that it’s part of your custom to ‘throw’ the baby inside the river!!!...and if it floats, it shows that the baby would be a good swimmer. What happens when the baby fail to float or drown?
If you guys practice that, I think there should be a massive campaign to protest such cruelty and abuse to children.

If ijaws have failed to develop better lung capacity or even gills to adapt to your marine environment and triumph in international swimming competitions, then your post isn’t worth it.
Kenyans and Ethiopians are natural born long distance runners, Cubans have a tradition of boxing, Chinese practice karate and they have all made names for themselves in those areas...how can you be praising Ijaw man and his bond with water even before he could blink but nothing has come out of. I doubt if the Ijaws are better swimmers than Urhobo, kalabari and other riverline tribes.
kalabiri are ijaws.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by sylve11: 7:04am On Nov 30, 2019
ijawgirl:
            Due to the riverine and swampy nature of their environment in the south south states, they have over the years, established a perfect relationship with the rivers that surround them. “The Ijaw culture and customs are water dominated. This is because God has blessed us with water.

Because of their attachment to rivers, the Ijaw cultural, social, economic and  religious lives are defined and influenced by water. Water, is said, has no enemy. According to some Ijaw elders, “water is friendlier to the Ijaw people,” however, every Ijaw is expected to be a good swimmer so he or she can survive capsizing of boats when it happens.

Through life experiences, the ancestors have developed a social system that makes the Ijaw feel comfortable being around water.  It is not unusual for Ijaw children, especially those born or raised at home, as young as four, to become expert swimmers and divers.   By the time they reach ten years old, most have become prolific swimmers.

The first, every free born of Ijaw must be able to swim irrespective of the size, the wave, or current of the river or sea. To this end an Ijaw family start to train its child only some days after birth. The first step is to throw the baby into the river, if it floats in the water it is interpreted to be an Ijaw and thus will be able to swim with proper training.""

everything about the Ijaws is interrelated with water. “Unlike in the north where they dance like antelopes, we dance like fishes. Our dance steps are like the movements of the fish and the wagging of their tails in the waters, The Ijaw masquerades usually wear heads of the fishes. All our festivals have their origins from water. Our ways of life are influenced by our environment which is surrounded by water.”

boat regattas as part of Ijaw festivities, symbolizes “the early days when our forefathers used to go to war in the waters so as to conquer neighbouring communities and make them their slaves. That reminds us of that.” He said there are two types of boat regattas: the ceremonial boat regatta and the war boat regatta.

The Ijaws have a lot of idioms and proverbs which are water inclined. One popular Ijaw proverb goes thus: “when you see a hippopotamus pursuing a canoe in the river, it is not actually interested in the canoe, but what is inside the canoe.  As soon as the person insight jumps into the water, that ends the pursuit

this post reeks of lies! angry cool
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by sylve11: 7:07am On Nov 30, 2019
Datazone:

You're an Ijaw guy that's why. The poster said Ijaw is the 4th largest and the richest black tribe in Nigeria and on Earth respectively yet you see nothing wrong with it. You see nothing wrong in lies and misguided statements yet you had the temerity to quote me citing hate speeches. Kontinuu!

if i were you i wuldn't have replied that guy. All they know how to do is to talk anyhow. undecided cool

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by sylve11: 7:08am On Nov 30, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
and them violent pass any other thing.

fact 101! cool

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by sylve11: 7:10am On Nov 30, 2019
Ademoore07:
Unfortunately, their men don't care about marriage. Family planning is not their things. They can even give to 3 babies in 2 years. If u think im lying, try to visit bayelsa state or ese odo local govt area of ondo state.

grin grin grin cool
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by tslimpez(f): 7:39am On Nov 30, 2019
Proudly Ijaw

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by tslimpez(f): 7:43am On Nov 30, 2019
I think the closest or perhaps the best to the Ijaws are the Ilaje people of Ondo State. Ijaws fish just as Ilajes but their activities in water bodies have transcended beyond just fishing today. Not all Urhobos can swim. [/quote]

The Ilaje’s are also Ijaw’s ...speak same language
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by KosiGee(m): 7:58am On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

Ijaws are truly amazing swimmers. I have seen them do the extraordinary in rivers over the years. Like they can submerge longer than the average person. Unfortunately, ball jugglers are more talented than footballers, but it doesn't make them better. You dig? That is the case of the Ijaw people. I'm sure they can better represent Nigeria at swimming competitions with rigorous trainings as their patterns are loose. Tendencies are that longer swimming styles can inhibit their versatility in water as they have not been trained to do that over time.

This practice is not new in any way. The Ijaws and Ilajes almost have this mentality and I have seen them do this upclose. It's their way of checking freeborns and bastards among them. Plus, I have never heard that a child drown through that process neither did I witness one growing up.

They have indeed.

I think the closest or perhaps the best to the Ijaws are the Ilaje people of Ondo State. Ijaws fish just as Ilajes but their activities in water bodies have transcended beyond just fishing today. Not all Urhobos can swim.

Thanks for your beautiful input. I have actually watched a programme on Tv of some guys who make livings by diving at incredible sea depths scooping sands with buckets and selling them to builders.
I can’t remember what ethnicity they were. It was a dangerous practice and it was reported that fatalities have been recorded. These guys sure have adapted to their environment and way of living but I don’t really believe that ‘throwing’ or even dipping a newborn in the river would determine a ‘freeborn’ or bastard as you called it. That is not possible sir. It’s dangerous and a serious red flag for safeguarding issues.

I think Ijaws and other riverline people should tap into their bond and adaptability with marine life and bring international success to themselves. Maybe they need to move beyond their comfort zones.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by UniportAgbero: 8:00am On Nov 30, 2019
Datazone:

Like a typical Ijaw man you've succeeded in writing nonsense. That's how you stir up crisis and ethnic clashes. How did Ijaw, a tribe where over 80% are illiterates, become the richest black tribe? Who carried out that survey? Madness runs in your people. You also had the guts to say Ijaws are the fourth largest tribe in Nigeria? Lol. You deluded ape. Ibibio are more than Ijaws. Where did you carry out your analysis to arrive at that conclusion? Tiv are more than the Ijaws. I believe most Nigerians have seen more Urhobos than Ijaws. Even in media, politics (until 2011 when GEJ came in) and sports, Urhobos dominate the Ijaws. I wonder how Ijaws think, this your statement led credence to the fact that majority of you lots take ogogoro before talking

Pls Rivers State ijaws are very educated. We had the earliest contact with the Europeans in Nigeria. Most of the earliest primary and secondary schools were located in ijaw lands. You can Google Okrika, Kalabari, Bonny, Nembe, and Opobo. And yes ijaw is the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

In fact, you are the deluded ape for asking who carried out the survey that puts ijaw as the fourth largest ethnic group. It is very evident that you need education yourself! Why do we have population census?
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Osanoghodua1: 8:07am On Nov 30, 2019
This is just too poor. I was expecting something more exclusive and educating, kindly make research and edit this thread. Will be waiting for you.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kennyswagz1(m): 8:11am On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

Bunkering... They are the best at it.

The Ijaws are interesting people, sincerely. I grew up with them and the Ilajes and both tribe share an uncanny affinity with water. Strangely, both took me out to the river for my swimming lessons around 11. Crazy experience!

The thread is watery though.
those ones don use to yoruba already.. I mean the ones for bayelsa
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kennyswagz1(m): 8:12am On Nov 30, 2019
dictbennie:

Please go and cure your ignorance. Samson Siasia, Finidi George, Timi Dakolo, Timaya, Igali(wrestling champion), John Pepper Clark etc are from your tribe abi?
GTFOH.. just this small ones?
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kennyswagz1(m): 8:12am On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:

They have melodious and interesting music

King Robert Ebizimo, General Mother, Rex Lawson
ok
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kennyswagz1(m): 8:13am On Nov 30, 2019
Psalm4kute:

Typical African man talk (apart from oil, nothing about them) apart from your old age yet meaningless life... I dont think theres anything to write home about you
GTFOH
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 8:16am On Nov 30, 2019
tslimpez:

The Ilaje’s are also Ijaw’s ...speak same language
Ilajes are not Ijaws, not even close. I spent my formative years among these two ethnic groups and there's no way you'd tell me this. Till date, I still understand the Ilaje dialect which is a huge variation of the Yoruba language. I don't speak the Ijaw language and don't understand it either but I know for a fact that there is a HUGE gap in intonations and the languages. Again, Ilajes are not Ijaws and they don't speak the same language.

Although there are Ijaws in Ondo State such as the Ijaw Apoi tribe (where Sowore is from) and they are not the same as Ilajes who are a sub-ethnic group of the larger Yoruba ethnic group. As close as the Isokos and Urhobos are, there is a variation in our language, let alone that of the Ijaws and Ilajes.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Blakjewelry(m): 8:19am On Nov 30, 2019
babyfaceafrica:

why babies can swim.

are you saying babies can't drown?
you forget they live all their life in water in the womb
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 30, 2019
UniportAgbero:

Pls Rivers State ijaws are very educated. We had the earliest contact with the Europeans in Nigeria. Most of the earliest primary and secondary schools were located in ijaw lands. You can Google Okrika, Kalabari, Bonny, Nembe, and Opobo. And yes ijaw is the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria.

In fact, you are the deluded ape for asking who carried out the survey that puts ijaw as the fourth largest ethnic group. It is very evident that you need education yourself! Why do we have population census?

You're a big mumu. You don't know the history of your country Nigeria and your people. The Portuguese explorers were the first to explore Nigeria before Britain. Use Google to clarify, Binis and Itsekiris were they first to make contact with white men. Oba Esigie from Benin is the first to speak English and, Olu Antonio Dom Domingos (an Itsekiri king) is the first graduate king in West Africa (in 1642). If you had attended any university in Nigeria, you must have been taught in your general studies done in 100L.

Another stupid post that shows Ijaws in Rivers and their counterpart in Bayelsa and Delta reason like goats was when you affirmed that Ijaws are the fourth largest. Until Jonathan, most Nigerians haven't even heard a tribe called Ijaw exist. Ibibio and Tivs are more than the Ijaws. Urhobos dominate Ijaws in all spheres of human endeavours yet they don't disturb us about being the fourth largest.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Blakjewelry(m): 8:25am On Nov 30, 2019
Ademoore07:
Unfortunately, their men don't care about marriage. Family planning is not their things. They can even give to 3 babies in 2 years. If u think im lying, try to visit bayelsa state or ese odo local govt area of ondo state.
you forget that is common thing among uneducated men in Nigeria, just a visit to most villages except the east you will see it's same almost everywhere

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 8:29am On Nov 30, 2019
KosiGee:

Thanks for your beautiful input. I have actually watched a programme on Tv of some guys who make livings by diving at incredible sea depths scooping sands with buckets and selling them to builders.
I can’t remember what ethnicity they were. It was a dangerous practice and it was reported that fatalities have been recorded. These guys sure have adapted to their environment and way of living but I don’t really believe that ‘throwing’ or even dipping a newborn in the river would determine a ‘freeborn’ or bastard as you called it. That is not possible sir. It’s dangerous and a serious red flag for safeguarding issues.

I think Ijaws and other riverline people should tap into their bond and adaptability with marine life and bring international success to themselves. Maybe they need to move beyond their comfort zones.
I wanted to mention that earlier but thought it wasn't necessary. The Ijaws and the Ilajes are the major people who do that. In Lagos, particularly along the Ikorodu axis, you're more likely to see Ilajes pull that stunt. They abound in Owode and they are responsible for most of the sharp sand supply used in Lagos. I'd like to believe they have a special makeup compared to people who don't spend their lives around water.

As per the emboldened, I know it sounds crazy but it is what they believe. This might sound very irritating but promiscuity was high among the Ilajes, growing up and they suspect almost anything and anyone, particularly with their wives. Way back, a typical Ilaje man who is married wouldn't be bothered sleeping with another man's wife. Like I witnessed brutal moments of confrontations to the point that charms were involved. While this is not the same with the Ijaws, theirs come into play when a man dies and the woman is suspected. I once witnessed an episode whereby a god was invoked to finger who was responsible for poisoning a man and the mat-like god, carried by 6 hefty Ijaw men with leaves in their mouth stunned onlookers that day. I just can't forget.

The practice is weird and crazy but these guys, particularly Ilajes recognize and believe the concept of mermaids and superior spirits in rivers and seas.

About tapping and maximizing their potentials with their water bonds, I doubt. It is fascinating to outsiders to either learn or watch them while they see it as normal, everyday stuff necessary for their survival.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 8:30am On Nov 30, 2019
Ademoore07:
This is so true! grin

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 8:33am On Nov 30, 2019
marjo:
when i saw this thread i actually opened it thinking i would get to know more about ijaw people only to see a very watery treatise.
the thread is not worth its salt.
as in eh. I was real prepared to go through the article only to see an incomplete write up with water as the only content In tne article.
and the mods even brought this to front page
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Tellemall: 8:35am On Nov 30, 2019
tpia5:
what's the connection between ijaw and arabs, if any.

thirdly, is there any explanation of how or why ijaws started living on water.

LOL
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Tellemall: 8:36am On Nov 30, 2019
Wallie:

It is actually not that big of a deal because humans, especially younger ones, naturally have the instinct to hold their breath under water. The phenomenon is called Mammalian Diving Reflex and is triggered when cold water touches the face. It is the same reason why birthing baby into a tub of water is possible and also why babies can swim.

Provide solid evidence.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Tellemall: 8:37am On Nov 30, 2019
Ishilove:

Yeah. I once dunked a 2 weeks old puppy into a huge drum of water and was amazed to see the little thing paddling its way to the surface.

You shouldn't be so bold to mention animal cruelty.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Forget The Eze Ndigbo Title —Deji Of Akure / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola Celebrate Children's Day With Kids(Pics) / Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.