Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,623 members, 7,823,747 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:24 PM

Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers (28968 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 8:42am On Nov 30, 2019
Kennyswagz1:
those ones don use to yoruba already.. I mean the ones for bayelsa
Same thing. Ijaws either along coastlines or on rivers. Interestingly, you tend to have petroleum pipes along coastlines and they tend to take advantage of this. Prior to illegal oil bunkering in the South West, it was a regular in the Niger Delta, and since Ijaws migrate more than other ethnic groups of the Niger Delta, the practice migrated with them as a secondary means of survival, besides fishing. From riverine areas in Lagos, particularly along Mile 12 to Ikorodu and Ese Odo in Ondo State, to Delta, etc... It's the same. Some so-called oil spill and not the works of oil companies. A reasonable amount of them is caused by illegal oil bunkers.

As far back as 1991, in Mile 12, we would see fishes in rivers floating belly up and struggling and this is after the Ijaw dudes in the area had returned from their illegal bunkering activities.

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kennyswagz1(m): 8:52am On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

Same thing. Ijaws either along coastlines or on rivers. Interestingly, you tend to have petroleum pipes along coastlines and they tend to take advantage of this. Prior to illegal oil bunkering in the South West, it was a regular in the Niger Delta, and since Ijaws migrate more than other ethnic groups of the Niger Delta, the practice migrated with them as a secondary means of survival, besides fishing. From riverine areas in Lagos, particularly along Mile 12 to Ikorodu and Ese Odo in Ondo State, to Delta, etc... It's the same. Some so-called oil spill and not the works of oil companies. A reasonable amount of them is caused by illegal oil bunkers.

As far back as 1991, in Mile 12, we would see fishes in rivers floating belly up and struggling and this is after the Ijaw dudes in the area had returned from their illegal bunkering activities.
ok
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by izubext007: 9:14am On Nov 30, 2019
Plz Nairaland Respond : Izon
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 30, 2019
YolobaMuslim:

Why are you mentioning Igbo into this?
Wetin concern Igbo with Ijaw?
Seems like you are high on your usual ogogoro. grin
Are you stupid?? Did you even read my previous post, or are you high on cheap drug??
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 30, 2019
Datazone:

You're an Ijaw guy that's why. The poster said Ijaw is the 4th largest and the richest black tribe in Nigeria and on Earth respectively yet you see nothing wrong with it. You see nothing wrong in lies and misguided statements yet you had the temerity to quote me citing hate speeches. Kontinuu!
What if I'm an ijaw or not?? Why are you bothered because the OP stated ijaws are the 4th largest tribe?? Is this giving you sleepless night?? What is yet to be confirmed by the federal government??

If I were you I'd politely dispute that statement... instead of trying to turn this thread into an ijaw hate thread
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by bobwizzy1(m): 9:44am On Nov 30, 2019
Hmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:48am On Nov 30, 2019
Kuginzi:
Give us Biafra
So it's now ijaw people dat is holding ur Biafra grin grin

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by PAQ(m): 9:59am On Nov 30, 2019
ochukoccna:
How come this made front page? undecided undecided undecided
Am still yet to get it.
Truly Nairaland is on life support. sad sad sad
So sad.

This is history, worthy of being on the frontpage. I guess you will rather have Tacha, Mercy or Wiz kid pressing some ones ass on frontpage!

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 10:08am On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

Ilajes are not Ijaws, not even close. I spent my formative years among these two ethnic groups and there's no way you'd tell me this. Till date, I still understand the Ilaje dialect which is a huge variation of the Yoruba language. I don't speak the Ijaw language and don't understand it either but I know for a fact that there is a HUGE gap in intonations and the languages. Again, Ilajes are not Ijaws and they don't speak the same language.

Although there are Ijaws in Ondo State such as the Ijaw Apoi tribe (where Sowore is from) and they are not the same as Ilajes who are a sub-ethnic group of the larger Yoruba ethnic group. As close as the Isokos and Urhobos are, there is a variation in our language, let alone that of the Ijaws and Ilajes.

wooow

So Sowore is Ijaw Apoi??

like seriously??

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Kuginzi: 10:11am On Nov 30, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

So it's now ijaw people dat is holding ur Biafra grin grin
You're not serious
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 10:11am On Nov 30, 2019
Datazone:

You're a big mumu. You don't know the history of your country Nigeria and your people. The Portuguese explorers were the first to explore Nigeria before Britain. Use Google to clarify, Binis and Itsekiris were they first to make contact with white men. Oba Esigie from Benin is the first to speak English and, Olu Antonio Dom Domingos (an Itsekiri king) is the first graduate king in West Africa (in 1642). If you had attended any university in Nigeria, you must have been taught in your general studies done in 100L.

Another stupid post that shows Ijaws in Rivers and their counterpart in Bayelsa and Delta reason like goats was when you affirmed that Ijaws are the fourth largest. Until Jonathan, most Nigerians haven't even heard a tribe called Ijaw exist. Ibibio and Tivs are more than the Ijaws. Urhobos dominate Ijaws in all spheres of human endeavours yet they don't disturb us about being the fourth largest.

Aunty is your post so full with insults??

Y don't u check it out on Google.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 10:16am On Nov 30, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

wooow

So Sowore is Ijaw Apoi??

like seriously??
There is misconception about Sowore being Yoruba just because he is from Ondo State. It's so wrong. The Ijaw Apoi tribe is an interesting one as they are said to have traveled first to Ilé Ifè before getting to Ondo.

2 Likes

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 10:18am On Nov 30, 2019
Psalm4kute:

What if I'm an ijaw or not?? Why are you bothered because the OP stated ijaws are the 4th largest tribe?? Is this giving you sleepless night?? What is yet to be confirmed by the federal government??

If I were you I'd politely dispute that statement... instead of trying to turn this thread into an ijaw hate thread
There's nothing there to dispute. Your guy made a statement without proof(s), I countered the statement. Yet you said I should do what? Can't you see your level of bias? You all should show us proof(s) that Ijaws are the fourth largest or forever remain shut. You all just make up stories to feel good, over 99% of Nigerians don't know the fourth largest tribe in Nigeria. So don't come up with beer parlour talks with the hope that all Nigerians are stupid.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 30, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Aunty is your post so full with insults??

Y don't u check it out on Google.
There's nothing to check on Google. I know this before I turned 11. It is you who need to check what I said to ascertain the authenticity.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 10:20am On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

There is misconception about Sowore being Yoruba just because he is from Ondo State. It's so wrong. The Ijaw Apoi tribe is an interesting one as they are said to have traveled first to Ilé Ifè before getting to Ondo.

Are you sure he didnt purposely leave it ambiguous in order to avoid associations with Jonathan?

Politically, its safer for him to resemble Yoruba
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 10:24am On Nov 30, 2019
UniportAgbero:

Pls Rivers State ijaws are very educated. We had the earliest contact with the Europeans in Nigeria. Most of the earliest primary and secondary schools were located in ijaw lands. You can Google Okrika, Kalabari, Bonny, Nembe, and Opobo. And yes ijaw is the fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria.
This is so wrong. The Benin Kingdom had the first contact (1485) and the Europeans were specifically Portuguese. Lagos second and the creeks of the Delta third.

Lagos had its name in 1472 (Portuguese, meaning Lakes), which means that the South West had contact even before the Benin Kingdom did.

Plus, the Ijaw ethnic group isn't the fourth largest in Nigeria. The claim over time was political and it remains unknown who holds the spot. Beer parlour gossip claim Fulani are spreading on purpose hold this spot.

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Sanchez01: 10:33am On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:

Are you sure he didnt purposely leave it ambiguous in order to avoid associations with Jonathan?

Politically, its safer for him to resemble Yoruba
Sowore has never been political. Plus the Ijaws understand the variations within them perfectly. South-Western Ijaws found in Ese Odo LG in Ondo State today, though Niger Deltan, don't necessarily see themselves as brothers with those in the South South. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they hate themselves. They are more clannish than the Igbos. Those in the South South see those in the South West as mixed blood, which is where the 'full born' gist of the OP emanated from.

Those in Edo don't necessarily see themselves as kindred with those in Delta, Rivers and even Bayelsa. Everyone faces their business and only see those around them.

Recall Dickson recently referred to a certain LG in Bayelsa as not being real Ijaws and they very well protested by voting against his candidate. That gives you an idea of the clannish nature of the Ijaw man.

In the case of Sowore and Jonathan, it was more of activism and angst than political.
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 10:36am On Nov 30, 2019
Datazone:

There's nothing to check on Google. I know this before I turned 11. It is you who need to check what I said to ascertain the authenticity.

Atleast it's on Google. Can u now show me ur own source aunty.

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 30, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Atleast it's on Google. Can u now show me ur own source aunty.
The Tiv and Kanuris are larger than the Ijaws. It was Jonathan who imposed that mentality on you guys and twisted the media that you're that fourth. Before Jonathan, who knew Ijaws existed? Calabar people were known in Nigeria unlike the Ijaws. You guys are minority claiming relevance. Every source that points to Ijaws being the fourth largest came during and after Jonathan's election as President, why?

www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/fourth-largest-ethnic-group-marginalizing-us-orchivirigh-professor-james-tells-govt

An argument on Nairaland:
https://www.nairaland.com/2918049/fourth-largest-ethnic-group-nigeria

Read the screenshot below and see that Bayelsa is not a complete Ijaw state, there are Urhobos and Isoko who are native of Bayelsa. There are no Ijaws in akwaibom. Ijaws are a small group of people in the riverine area, it was Jonathan who brought them to limelight

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 10:55am On Nov 30, 2019
The truth is that until people stop manipulating census figures, we wont know who is how much in Nigeria.

The other factor is ethnic cohesion.

Do we count Ibibios and Efiks together?

Do Kalabari, Okrika and Izon see themselves as part of the main Ijaw collective?

Are Urhobo and Isoko interchangeable terms?

Most of those Niger Delta groups are too disparate to make a sizeable collective political impact.

As for me I was under the impression that the Ibibios were the 4th largest group in Nigeria...I stand to be corrected...
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by RexTramadol1: 11:56am On Nov 30, 2019
ijawgirl:

yup - - very well~

Noa eh
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 12:30pm On Nov 30, 2019
technicallyrich:

kalabiri are ijaws.
they're are not. my colleagues here is Kalabari and each time I bring up the ijaw issue, she flairs up.
also Kalabari are not part of your useless biafra
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 12:32pm On Nov 30, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

wooow

So Sowore is Ijaw Apoi??

like seriously??
Sowore is from the ijaw speaking part of Ondo state.
you thought he was Yoruba?
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 12:33pm On Nov 30, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
Sowore is from the ijaw speaking part of Ondo state.
you thought he was Yoruba?

Just knowing dat now.
I never knew he was Ijaw Apoi
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 12:35pm On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:
The truth is that until people stop manipulating census figures, we wont know who is how much in Nigeria.

The other factor is ethnic cohesion.

Do we count Ibibios and Efiks together?

Do Kalabari, Okrika and Izon see themselves as part of the main Ijaw collective?

Are Urhobo and Isoko interchangeable terms?

Most of those Niger Delta groups are too disparate to make a sizeable collective political impact.

As for me I was under the impression that the Ibibios were the 4th largest group in Nigeria...I stand to be corrected...
4th largest group if u combine them with Efiks, Annangs and Oron to form AkwaCross.

by the way what are u doing in this intellectual section?
your brain capacity won't be able to hold the intellectual discourse that is being interacted here.
go to the romance section na there ur mates dey
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 12:38pm On Nov 30, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:

Just knowing dat now.
I never knew he was Ijaw Apoi
maybe that's why the Yoruba nation are so reluctant to take up his case Sha cos they feel it's not one of them so it's more of an ijaw fight to propagate for the release of their son
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 12:41pm On Nov 30, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
4th largest group if u combine them with Efiks, Annangs and Oron to form AkwaCross.

That AkwaCross thing is purely academic. You people dont allow anybody to count you as one

Even Oron, Eket and Annang dont like being counted with Ibibio, as similar as they all are

How will they consolidate their political power and leverage it against more populous tribes when their bonds are so loose? This is the problem with the South-South
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 12:47pm On Nov 30, 2019
EmptyCoconutHead:
maybe that's why the Yoruba nation are so reluctant to take up his case Sha cos they feel it's not one of them so it's more of an ijaw fight to propagate for the release of their son

But he is more closer to the Yorubas than the Ijaw nation. Besides he associates himself to them more. Are u sure one of his parents ain't Yoruba??
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 12:48pm On Nov 30, 2019

1 Like

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by EmptyCoconutHead(m): 12:55pm On Nov 30, 2019
midnighter:

[s]
This comment proves that you are a total bloody idiot.

Youre in the other thread about women not being able to offer anything other than sex insulting women up and down

Now youve seen me engaging in a discussion the first thing you can do is to try to banish me to the romance section, nton mkpo, ebuk, onye nzuzu hypocrite[/s]

Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by midnighter(f): 1:16pm On Nov 30, 2019
Sanchez01:

Sowore has never been political. Plus the Ijaws understand the variations within them perfectly. South-Western Ijaws found in Ese Odo LG in Ondo State today, though Niger Deltan, don't necessarily see themselves as brothers with those in the South South. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they hate themselves. They are more clannish than the Igbos. Those in the South South see those in the South West as mixed blood, which is where the 'full born' gist of the OP emanated from.

Those in Edo don't necessarily see themselves as kindred with those in Delta, Rivers and even Bayelsa. Everyone faces their business and only see those around them.

Recall Dickson recently referred to a certain LG in Bayelsa as not being real Ijaws and they very well protested by voting against his candidate. That gives you an idea of the clannish nature of the Ijaw man.

In the case of Sowore and Jonathan, it was more of activism and angst than political.

Noted. But I still think he has been able to coast over some difficulties by identifying more with the south-west rather than the south-south

Plus I dont see how you can say that a presidential candidate has never been political. At least there are some games they play to influence the electorate. I have never for once seen him in distinguishing Ijaw attire or even that Fedora hat. Or Ondo Ijaws dont wear that
Re: Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers by April4th(m): 1:18pm On Nov 30, 2019
Aaaaaah Izon

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi And Wuraola Celebrate Children's Day With Kids(Pics) / Forget The Eze Ndigbo Title —Deji Of Akure / Most Plausible Reason Why Some Binis and Igbos Have Fairer Skin Colour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.