Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost - Autos (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost (78998 Views)

Re: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Fuel Savings / Fuel Subsidy: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Great Savings / Convert Your Generator To Lpg Generator 08166866515 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by shogz89: 9:55pm On Jun 12, 2023
ask4bk:

Maybe maths was never your stronghold in school. But to do his calculation in relation to naira he has to compare 1kg of gas to 1 litre of fuel because their prices are known.
That's the only way to do the maths. He can't use 1kg of fuel just because he used 1kg of gas.

The best way to do the math's is to buy both gas and petrol of the same amount and get how long they last..find the percentage difference. The answer should be in the formats I.e gas is 20% cheaper.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by CaptainGo: 9:58pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gajagojo:
. Factually that is true but irrelevant.
Logic is not about facts but thinking
What is the purpose of the experiment? To determine which is cheaper.
The design of the experiment therefore should ensure a like for like comparison of placing maximum load on the generator and running it for a fixed period with petrol checking the cost of petrol used in naira ,repeating it with gas and comparing the two costs.
That is all

That gas contains more calories than petrol is taking us into the realm of thermodynamics which is very interesting but tangential to the issue at hand
E.g does the generator extract all the chemical energy in gas with equal efficiency as it does for petrol in form of electricity or is there leakage as heat. All that is important in a physics class. Not here. What matters here is cost
Your assumption that because a particular fuel contains more energy than another therefore it will last longer is not necessarily true. That is a function of engine efficiency/design.
Engines burn a fuel yes but a generator can waste a lot of that as heat or noise without generation of electricity. That is not important to the average person

Very well said.

Too many people here are attempting to sound intelligent and missing the whole point of the post.

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by okoroemeka(m): 10:02pm On Jun 12, 2023
staga:
The cylinder size is 28kg when full. It can contain 12.5kg of propane (LPG) or equivalent fluid content of 26.5 litres.

A 6.5kVA generator contains 25 litres of fuel and it can only run for a maximum of 12 hours. I stand to be corrected. The OP must have done the test on a 2KVA generator.

I intend to do this test as well. I will run a full 12.5kg cylinder of gas and see how many hours it will last, then run the same gen on a full tank, watch the consumption and the cost, then find out how many litres of PMS it will take to match the number of hours it will take to exhaust a full LPG cylinder.
this will be very interesting, considering we want to start an sme that will be guzzling 30 ltrs of fuel everyday,we need every scrap of information, especially with that bigger 6.5 kv gen
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ChiefOkporghe: 10:04pm On Jun 12, 2023
nex:

If you use a Non-Explosive Composite Fibre Cylinder, you won't have to worry about explosion with LPG, LNG, CNG or any other type of gas.

I'm just waiting for the results to come in, so I can decide on what to do next with my generator.

In terms of pricing, it is possible that petrol prices will fall a little with less demand if many Nigerians switch to gas to fuel their cars and generators, but what will happen to the price of gas with the high demand? You expect price of gas to remain below N700 per kg?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Ventura1: 10:05pm On Jun 12, 2023
Good one πŸ‘
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people .
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by goldmatrix(m): 10:06pm On Jun 12, 2023
What a nice demonstration/experiment you showed us..
Thanks.

Please how much did it cost you to convert it. Does it depend on anything?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by akaahs(m): 10:15pm On Jun 12, 2023
crestedaguiyi:
I just ordered this kit today from alaba. It's less than 20k.

The use of lpg is far cheaper.

12.5kg of gas will run for more than 120 hrs.

25litrs of fuel will not give you 24hours on same gen.

This text has been done in Nnewi last week, the carburetor already has a dealer there who has large quantity in stock.

Ibo people, Una wan sabotage dangote
Please, whats the search name of the kit
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by crestedaguiyi: 10:20pm On Jun 12, 2023
akaahs:

Please, whats the search name of the kit

Dual fuel carburetor .

Its between 10k and 15k on AliExpress

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by COMPAQ(m): 10:27pm On Jun 12, 2023
Asides buying the dual carburator kit, here in the US there are generators that are dual fuel. I. E they use either petrol or gas.

I'm sure very soon our Igbo brothers will start bringing them from China. I'm even surprised that it had not been in our market since, but I guess since petrol has been dirt cheap for decades, there was no incentive for it.

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Nazgul: 10:41pm On Jun 12, 2023
crestedaguiyi:
I just ordered this kit today from alaba. It's less than 20k.

The use of lpg is far cheaper.

12.5kg of gas will run for more than 120 hrs.

25litrs of fuel will not give you 24hours on same gen.

This text has been done in Nnewi last week, the carburetor already has a dealer there who has large quantity in stock.

Ibo people, Una wan sabotage dangote
What if after buying it 1kg of gas increases to almost 1k, what then?

This is Nigeria where any nonsense is possible.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by fabolouz1(m): 10:51pm On Jun 12, 2023
Nigerians are talented .
Gas is the way to go but we are flaring it into the atmosphere.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by jubrilELsudan: 10:57pm On Jun 12, 2023
LOOKS SO FANTASTIC AND A BRILLIANT IDEA TILL THE CARBURETOR MALFUNCTIONS AND CATCHES FIRE THEN GOES ON TO EXPLODE THE GAS CYLINDER

THERE'S A REASON WHY GENERATORS ARE MADE TO RUN ON GASOLINE MOSTLY

SAME CARBURETOR THAT WILL BE LEAKING THE GAS AND YOU WON'T KNOW TILL IT EXPLODES

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by mechanics(m): 11:02pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Results for PMS petrol .

1L of petrol ran for 1hr and 46mins

Cost ₦500,

Wow, so gas is cheap.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Manuella4ace: 11:06pm On Jun 12, 2023
staga:

N10,000 worth of LPG cannot fit into a 12.5kg cylinder. The current price is N6,900.

Then buy 7k gas and 7k fuel and do your test.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Emmanuel950(m): 11:07pm On Jun 12, 2023
grin
Manuella4ace:

Then buy 7k gas and 7k fuel and do your test.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by whao: 11:11pm On Jun 12, 2023
GodsOwn2004:
There is a CNG dispense station opposite MTU/MFM, along Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. The station has been in existence for some years .
I want to see if I can convert my car to CNG, I noticed in India almost all their cars are converted to use CNG.
It's way cheaper than petrol and LNG.

CAN ANY BODY CONVERT THAT OF CARS? I CAN ORDER FOR THE CAR KITS MYSELF
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by stillseth: 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2023
Pls what’s the difference between LPG, LNG, CNG.. which one do we use as cooking gas and is that useable for generator too?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Golgota: 11:18pm On Jun 12, 2023
The calculation is not correct. 46 mins is not equal to 0.46 HR but rather 0.77 hr

GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by shomutuski(m): 11:28pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

mark the time.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

I have been on NL since 2014, this is one of the best posts imo, this is why i use reddit. NL mods can push stuffs like this to FP.

Nice one boss

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by whao: 11:31pm On Jun 12, 2023
nurey:
Nah the explosive tendency of the CNG/LNG dey fear me.

But this is good, let more people switch yo CNG/LNG so the price of petrol can come down for poor people like me grin
Compressed natural gas (CNG) is a popular alternative fuel for vehicles that are gaining traction due to its environmental and economic benefits. CNG is a clean-burning fuel that produces lower emissions than traditional gasoline or diesel, and it can also be less expensive to use. In this article, we will discuss the benefits and disadvantages of using CNG as an alternative fuel for vehicles.

Advantages of CNG
Lower Emissions
CNG is a clean-burning fuel that produces fewer emissions than traditional gasoline or diesel. When burned, it produces significantly lower levels of carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. This makes it a more environmentally friendly option for vehicles.

Cost Savings
CNG is often less expensive than gasoline or diesel, which can result in significant cost savings for drivers and fleet operators. The cost of CNG can vary depending on location and supply, but in many cases, it is considerably cheaper than traditional fuels.

Energy Security
CNG is domestically produced, which can improve energy security and reduce reliance on foreign oil. This can also reduce the impact of fluctuations in global oil prices.

Longer Engine Life
CNG burns cleaner than traditional fuels, which can result in less engine wear and longer engine life. This is because CNG produces less carbon build-up, which can reduce engine performance over time.

Disadvantages of CNG
Limited Range
One of the main disadvantages of CNG vehicles is their limited range. CNG has a lower energy density than gasoline, which means that a CNG vehicle may need to refuel more frequently than a gasoline-powered vehicle. This can be an issue for drivers who need to travel long distances.

Limited Fuelling Infrastructure
Another disadvantage of CNG vehicles is the limited availability of CNG fuelling stations. While the number of CNG fuelling stations is growing, they are still not as widely available as gasoline stations. This can make it difficult for drivers to find a fuelling station when they need one.

High Upfront Costs
CNG vehicles can be more expensive than traditional gasoline or diesel vehicles. This is because they require special fuel storage tanks and other equipment to use CNG as fuel. While the cost of CNG vehicles is coming down, the upfront cost can still be a barrier for some drivers.

Safety Concerns
CNG is a flammable gas, and there are some safety concerns associated with its use as a vehicle fuel. CNG vehicles must be designed and built to strict safety standards, and there are regulations in place to ensure that CNG fueling stations are safe for use.

Conclusion
CNG is a clean-burning and cost-effective alternative fuel for vehicles that offers several benefits over traditional gasoline or diesel. It produces fewer emissions, can save drivers money on fuel costs and can improve energy security.

However, there are some disadvantages to using CNG as a vehicle fuel, including limited range, limited fueling infrastructure, high upfront costs, and safety concerns.

Ultimately, the decision to use CNG as a fuel for vehicles depends on individual needs and preferences, as well as the availability of fueling infrastructure in the area. For drivers who have access to CNG fueling stations and do not need to travel long distances, CNG can be a viable alternative fuel option.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by TheBTCinvestor: 11:34pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

mark the time.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

Until u blow ur house na then u go know..why not buy fuel in peace wats all this science experiment ur trying to proof undecided
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:41pm On Jun 12, 2023
comodo:

Since you are on a cost/hour comparison. It would have been equal amount for petrol and gas. #650 worth of petrol to #650 worth of gas. My 2 cents tho.

If 1L = ₦500 = 1:47mins the rest is not too hard .

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:42pm On Jun 12, 2023
TheBTCinvestor:

Until u blow ur house na then u go know..why not buy fuel in peace wats all this science experiment ur trying to proof undecided

I have not used a gen in my home since 2017.

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Exumal: 11:44pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

I have not used a gen in my home since 2017.

What's the total cost of conversion and the part?
Are there grades to these carburetors?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by honesttalk21: 11:45pm On Jun 12, 2023
Very impressive.
Will be interested in results if equal weights or equivalent volumes of fuel are used.

You should convert the PMS to a Kg weight by getting the volume of fuel that weighs 1kg. Measure out 1kg of PMS or use the mass/density relation to get the required volume of PMS. Divide 1 by 0.7436 though there's no guarantee the PMS will necessarily have this density so you could just as well 1kg of PMS.

Generally, gas is a more efficient energy source but if you don't mind please redo the test.

Thanks a lot. And kudos to you.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Bbbwings: 11:50pm On Jun 12, 2023
Demand increase
Price increases.
It is only a matter of time
You people will learn.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ndizzle(m): 12:02am On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Kindly note

Timer set to zero.

mark the time.

Let's start.

Modified summary

= #3.3/min

= #4.7/m

With Gas

By calculation

650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

*With Petrol*

Conclusion LPG cheaper

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

Please what is the spec of this Generator used in testing?

How to u regulate the intake of gas to ensure the generator is not being fed more gas than than required as this may affect rate of consumption which would ultimately affect the results obtained.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:09am On Jun 13, 2023
ndizzle:

Please what is the spec of this Generator used in testing?

How to u regulate the intake of gas to ensure the generator is not being fed more gas than than required as this may affect rate of consumption which would ultimately affect the results obtained.

Pre regulated from manufacturer, just plug and play.

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Lightorder: 12:11am On Jun 13, 2023
Great job bro.

To be fair in drawing your conclusion , it would have been clearer to a layman in the street if you had bought PMS worth of #650 same price as LPG .
That would be
PMS β€”β€”- #650 worth
LPG β€”β€”β€”# 650

The price difference as it regards mileage would have been slimmer.
On this ground, one would conclude if the price difference or what you want to save , worths conversion and safety the troubles

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:12am On Jun 13, 2023
honesttalk21:
Very impressive.
Will be interested in results if equal weights or equivalent volumes of fuel are used.

You should convert the PMS to a Kg weight by getting the volume of fuel that weighs 1kg. Measure out 1kg of PMS or use the mass/density relation to get the required volume of PMS. Divide 1 by 0.7436 though there's no guarantee the PMS will necessarily have this density so you could just as well 1kg of PMS.

Generally, gas is a more efficient energy source but if you don't mind please redo the test.

Thanks a lot. And kudos to you.

Aim was to find what was cheaper and by how much.

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:13am On Jun 13, 2023
Lightorder:
Great job bro.

To be fair in drawing your conclusion , it would have been clearer to a layman in the street if you had bought PMS worth of #650 same price as LPG .
That would be
PMS β€”β€”- #650 worth
LPG β€”β€”β€”# 650

The price difference as it regards mileage would have been slimmer.
On this ground, one would conclude if the price difference or what you want to save , worths the trouble.

If ₦500= hr1:47mins you can easily find ₦650 and recalculate .

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Lightorder: 12:22am On Jun 13, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

If ₦500= hr1:47mins you can easily find ₦650 and recalculate .

Mathematically, using Simple Proportion method right

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Preorder Cars from Dubai: Prado, Hilux, Hiace, Benz, Coaster, Rolls-Royce... / β™’ β™’ Recover Your Lost/Stolen Custom Duty Documents Here β™’ / Vehicle Registration And Drivers Licence Processing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.