Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost - Autos (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost (79290 Views)

Re: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Fuel Savings / Fuel Subsidy: Convert Your Generator To LPG/CNG For Great Savings / Convert Your Generator To Lpg Generator 08166866515 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by longview007: 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2023
Great and well detailed.

THANKS FOR ALL.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Gajagojo: 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2023
ConfidentialDoc:

This is an important variable.
We don't know the comparative performance of each fuel under load

Would be nice to know
Perhaps the most important
We should be comparing like with like

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Obnoxious2001(m): 7:52pm On Jun 12, 2023
brightleave:
For your info, 1kg of gas is not equivalent to 1litre of petro. Rather it's equivalent to 1.96litres of petro. Take note sir
@gazzuzz i think to make this experiment more even, buy gas and petrol worth 1000naira and do the experiment again. That way we are comparing the actual cost of the fuel to the duration.

Thanks this is my observation

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by sprints1: 7:53pm On Jun 12, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

So he's still correct.
The standard 1 litre is what he used not Nigerian filling station 1litre
exactly bro thanks. Filling station is 0.75 litres I have measured it b4 useless people. Yh he is right though it will run 1hr 30mins true if your carburetor is new. If u set the valve it will max 2hrs 30min but can damage the engine and cause it to overheat
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Diddycsbsb: 7:54pm On Jun 12, 2023
Fools
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by onuman: 7:54pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people .

Meanwhile, the lousy ones continue to strategise on how to increase oil production in the Niger Delta region, contaminate the environment with effluents, refuse to pay compensation, and tell others: move back to your erosion-ravaged Southeast region.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ConfidentialDoc: 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2023
IbnB:

Damn right bro...CNG/LNG is unforgiving when mishandled; petrol is way more tolerant of the usually shoddy thinking/practices of the regular Nigerian

I hear mobile phones can set off explosion of the CNG/LPG. I hope we won't have more cases of this.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Obnoxious2001(m): 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2023
joinnow:

Can biogas be use ...

Yeah.
It's methane gas

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Obnoxious2001(m): 7:57pm On Jun 12, 2023
sprints1:
exactly bro thanks. Filling station is 0.75 litres I have measured it b4 useless people. Yh he is right though it will run 1hr 30mins true if your carburetor is new. If u set the valve it will max 2hrs 30min but can damage the engine and cause it to overheat

Nice to know.
I thought we all agreed to use our carburetors like that why Una dey get Una own cry
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Pythagoras001: 7:58pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gajagojo:
. I am sorry sir you are misguided

Th e entire purpose of the exercise is to influence a financial decision
So the basis of comparison should be how much gas does it take to run the generator at full capacity for a unit time for example 24 hours
Versus
How much petrol to achieve the same objective. And A comparison in cost

So comparison is neither mass nor volume but. Comparison of financial cost of running with either gas or petrol.

A Kg to kg comparison is useful for caloric studies in a physics study. Density does not come into it and is irrelevant

This is purely an economic or business study to determine which is the cheaper fuel

A good analogy is a diesel engine vehicle versus petrol

The motorist is concerned with kilometres per naira

It is important to learn how to formulate problems in other people's terms and address what is important to them

what you are trying to do is to check calorific value of both fuel ( a simple use kg/cost would then give you the price) I was only trying to save you some stress instead of reinventing the wheel. The difference is around 5mj/kg which you can then use to compute price difference and then see if it is worth it plus the added safety issues.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by joinnow: 7:58pm On Jun 12, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

Yeah.
It's methane gas
Cool will then use my farm waste

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Kelvin30286063(m): 7:58pm On Jun 12, 2023
WantsandMore:
What about compressed natural gas? Anyone done a test?
Like fart? 😀 😀 😀
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Advancedman(m): 7:59pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:
In response to the removal of PMS subsidy.

I have installed an LPG/CNG carburettor that also works with PMS (petrol)

Kindly note

Fuel tank emptied via the supply hose .

Scale set to measure lpg as it is consumed in KG

1L of fuel measured out into a gallon and will be poured into gen.

Same amount of load will be applied in both instances .

Timer set to zero.

I will start with LPG.... Will run for 1KG and I will turn it off once it hits 1kg on the scale the
mark the time.

Next will be petrol PMS, it will also run for 1L then I will mark the amount of time it took before gen went off.

1kg of gas = ₦650 (June 12 2023)

1L of petrol = ₦500 (June 12 2023)

Let's start.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Modified summary

Total time of LPG - 197mins at #650/kg

= #3.3/min

Total time or petrol - 106 mins at #500/l

= #4.7/m

Another way of looking at it .

With Gas

By calculation

1kg of gas at 650naira per kg lasted 3.17hours (3hours 17mins)

How many kg of gas per hour
650/3.17= 205.

Cost per hour = ₦205

I.e ₦205 of gas lasted one hour

*With Petrol*

One liter at #500 lasted 1.46mins (one hour 46mins)

Cost per hour= 500/1.46 = ₦342

Conclusion LPG cheaper

Personally gas is so safer than pms any day, but I'll have to put out this warning.

WARNING!!!!

LPG IS FLAMMABLE.

THE GAS LINE AND GAS CYLINDER SHOULD BE KEPT AWAY FROM NAKED FLAMES AND HOT SURFACES.

WHEN TROUBLESHOOTING A PROBLEM WITH YOUR GEN USE PMS ESPECIALLY FOR VALVE AND ELECTRICAL ISSUES.

FINALLY THE END PRODUCT IS STILL CARBON MONOXIDE AND GEN SHOULD NEVER BE USED IN A CONFINEMENT, CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL IF THIS HAPPENS.

Happy independence day people .
Where is the carburettor?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Olalekanjames: 7:59pm On Jun 12, 2023
This is awesome. How much did you do the conversion?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by saintneo(m): 7:59pm On Jun 12, 2023
GAZZUZZ:

Your calculations on per minute consumption is correct, the per hour consumption is not right. Nevertheless, this is a good analysis and it will be beneficial to use LPG. BTW what is the cost of the carburettor?
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Obnoxious2001(m): 8:00pm On Jun 12, 2023
joinnow:

Cool will then use my farm waste
Where is your farm
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by korede181: 8:01pm On Jun 12, 2023
that gas isnt compatible with that gen.... e go burn down house if e backfire
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by joinnow: 8:02pm On Jun 12, 2023
Obnoxious2001:

Where is your farm
About to start at Rivers state
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Gajagojo: 8:02pm On Jun 12, 2023
Pythagoras001:
what you are trying to do is to check calorific value of both fuel ( a simple use kg/cost would then give you the price) I was only trying to save you some stress instead of reinventing the wheel. The difference is around 5mj/kg which you can then use to compute price difference and then see if it is worth it plus the added safety issues.

No we are not interested in caorific value just cost

That is a technical issue

If I want to compare fire wood to gas I will not be talking in kilograms but Naira cost of cooking the same amount of food
Talk to people in their own language not yours that is the essence of effective communication

All people want to know is which is cheaper gas or petrol to run generator for the same time

Kilograms will not feature in the answer

One does not even need to have any concept of calories to answer the question
It is purely a financial question

Just like an illiterate motorist knows how many litres of petrol will take him from A to B from experience

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by nairadatti: 8:04pm On Jun 12, 2023
How much and where did you get the carburetor
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:06pm On Jun 12, 2023
iyke648:
Oga Gazzuzz my own question be how u take start the gen. Will u first turn the gas knob and then draw ur gen or u start ur gen before turning the gas knob?

Starts up like pms

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Ombudsdabomb: 8:07pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gajagojo:
. I am sorry sir you are misguided

Th e entire purpose of the exercise is to influence a financial decision
So the basis of comparison should be how much gas does it take to run the generator at full capacity for a unit time for example 24 hours
Versus
How much petrol to achieve the same objective. And A comparison in cost

So comparison is neither mass nor volume but. Comparison of financial cost of running with either gas or petrol.

A Kg to kg comparison is useful for caloric studies in a physics study. Density does not come into it and is irrelevant

This is purely an economic or business study to determine which is the cheaper fuel

A good analogy is a diesel engine vehicle versus petrol

The motorist is concerned with kilometres per naira

It is important to learn how to formulate problems in other people's terms and address what is important to them

This is a good response, please!!!

8 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Moniya4Real(m): 8:07pm On Jun 12, 2023
I trust our government, let more people start using this and see our government increase the price of LNG

2 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:10pm On Jun 12, 2023
Controlv:

This is very commendable. Thanks for sharing.

Just a little observation regarding the conversion from minutes to hours, I think it should look like this:

Thank you

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by XAUBulls: 8:10pm On Jun 12, 2023
crestedaguiyi:
I just ordered this kit today from alaba. It's less than 20k.

The use of lpg is far cheaper.

12.5kg of gas will run for more than 120 hrs.

25litrs of fuel will not give you 24hours on same gen.

This text has been done in Nnewi last week, the carburetor already has a dealer there who has large quantity in stock.

Ibo people, Una wan sabotage dangote
120 hours!
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by airsaylongcome: 8:11pm On Jun 12, 2023
Gajagojo:

Why?

1kg of gas contains more energy than 1 liter of petrol. So definitely one liter of petrol will last less than 1kg of LPG

1 Like

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by alienvirus: 8:20pm On Jun 12, 2023
I have the carburetor for sale.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by ask4bk(m): 8:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
brightleave:
For your info, 1kg of gas is not equivalent to 1litre of petro. Rather it's equivalent to 1.96litres of petro. Take note sir

Maybe maths was never your stronghold in school. But to do his calculation in relation to naira he has to compare 1kg of gas to 1 litre of fuel because their prices are known.
That's the only way to do the maths. He can't use 1kg of fuel just because he used 1kg of gas.

5 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by seunayantokun(m): 8:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
This good option has been existing for some time and it's time to turn to it.; all you need to care for is a standard and original cylinder. It's the best option for now. It meaningfully cuts cost and noise.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by loswhite(m): 8:23pm On Jun 12, 2023
9icetoo:

Hmmmmm

Not entirely true but let's see how it fares first.

Load affects some stuffs oo.
it will affect at the same rate.
Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:24pm On Jun 12, 2023
darealez:
Should've bought ₦650 fuel...

Smart man.

3 Likes

Re: I Converted My Generator to LPG And Tested The Fuel Consumption/Cost by Gajagojo: 8:24pm On Jun 12, 2023
airsaylongcome:

1kg of gas contains more energy than 1 liter of petrol. So definitely one liter of petrol will last less than 1kg of LPG
. Factually that is true but irrelevant.
Logic is not about facts but thinking
What is the purpose of the experiment? To determine which is cheaper.
The design of the experiment therefore should ensure a like for like comparison of placing maximum load on the generator and running it for a fixed period with petrol checking the cost of petrol used in naira ,repeating it with gas and comparing the two costs.
That is all

That gas contains more calories than petrol is taking us into the realm of thermodynamics which is very interesting but tangential to the issue at hand
E.g does the generator extract all the chemical energy in gas with equal efficiency as it does for petrol in form of electricity or is there leakage as heat. All that is important in a physics class. Not here. What matters here is cost
Your assumption that because a particular fuel contains more energy than another therefore it will last longer is not necessarily true. That is a function of engine efficiency/design.
Engines burn a fuel yes but a generator can waste a lot of that as heat or noise without generation of electricity. That is not important to the average person

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Preorder Cars from Dubai: Prado, Hilux, Hiace, Benz, Coaster, Rolls-Royce... / Shocking Transformation Of Some Crashed Cars Sold In Nigeria (Photos) / Vehicle Registration And Drivers Licence Processing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.