Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,353 members, 7,822,674 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill (53564 Views)

Tinubu Transmits Students Loan Bill 2024 To House Of Reps For Enactment / 5 Teachers Sacked For Impregnating SS3 Student In Kebbi; The Student Expelled / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by unmask: 12:06am On Jun 13, 2023
Web2020:
This is complete nonsense. This will not work in Nigeria right now. Nigeria has no data. Before anybody quotes me, first answer the following questions.

1. What happened to the Covid 19 business assisted loan?

2. What happened to the SMEDF loan for SMEs in Nigeria?

3. What happened to market money?

Anybody advising Tinubu to be signing all sort of nonsense bills is not helping him.

He should concentrate on building systems first. Build the institutions. Give at least 12 hours of stable electricity. Get good centralised data-based for Nigerians. A unified means of identification. Then all these schemes can now follow.

For now, Fanikoyode and that SAN will share this money met for the student loan. They will come out to tell stories of millions of ghost people that benefited. No one can verify.
But that is why the university will submit the final names of the students that are eligible

The schools can't claim not to be liable if they put in "ghost students"

As for funding, the sources also look doable without too much pressure on already scarce resources
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by engrchykae(m): 12:15am On Jun 13, 2023
And buhari wasted our 8 years .
North has nothing to offer in governance
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by Kittytom9909: 12:22am On Jun 13, 2023
Ezigboune:
This is a wrong move from the president

Abi werey leleyi ni angry
Wrong move bawo
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by chaloskyx: 12:26am On Jun 13, 2023
the question is if your family cant afford 500k loan can they act as gurantors on your behalf also can anyone act as a guarantor to a student who is likely to be surviving on minimum wage of 30k there is no jobs in Nigeria buy doing so you want to put students in debt they cant pay? okay now i guess Fed govt has learnt a thing or 2 from china to enslave people with debt
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by CockAndBullStor: 12:27am On Jun 13, 2023
slawomir:
Damnnn niggar

Isoright
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by LegendHero(m): 12:37am On Jun 13, 2023
pacesetting:
Those parents that afforded university for their kids, where are their kids now? This policy is useless since the govt has not solved the issue of high unemployment. You guys should stop sugarcoating this useless policy.

You come dey talk like say Tinubu put rope for you neck to borrow the money by fire by force.

So what stop Tinubu from solving unemployment issue and sustaining the student loan too? Do one need to stop before the other Abi you just love hating for hating sake? You well so?

Sometimes I think some Nigerians are actually mentally handicapped coz I find it weird that some people are actually criticizing this good effort from Tinubu.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by websta: 1:05am On Jun 13, 2023
Na mumu go carry this kind loan when there is no job assurance after you graduate.
What are you using the loan to do exactly? Taking loan to FG school fees or you don't have food ?
nlfpmod:

https://twitter.com/MSIngawa/status/1668343172886409216?t=oDxB8mDINHEiYFJYNDP3Bg&s=08
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by tsdarkside(m): 1:14am On Jun 13, 2023
creolehunt:
Great.

But as with other things "Nigerian", you'll find that corruption will frustrate this policy.

Soon you'll start hearing that people were asked to pay some sorta bribe before they can receive the loan or that they were requested to bring a referee who kist be a senator or governor.

hmm....this was what was going through my mind too....
no matter which type of good idea you have,nigerians will always find a way to vandalize it....

punishments need to be much more....even death sentences....
china didnt get where they are today by playin nice....

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by tsdarkside(m): 1:20am On Jun 13, 2023
websta:
Na mumu go carry this kind loan when there is no job assurance after you graduate.
What are you using the loan to do exactly? Taking loan to FG school fees or you don't have food ?

you think its better in america....??
even if you find a job the loan debt is hugh....
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by MaksLove: 1:35am On Jun 13, 2023
Web2020:
Paperwork abi? If it not your father or Mother, which level 12 civil servant will be ready to sign as guarantor for a student loan? The scheme is dead before arrival

Oh STFU. Stop projecting your vile and pessimism to me. U are entitled to what you want to imagine or believe but don't project it to me.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by Ndipe(m): 1:39am On Jun 13, 2023
We can't live at the banks of the ocean and wash our hands with saliva. Our Nation has the capacity and revenue to fund our tertiary institution at a very minimal cost. So these student loan service may turn out to be a Greek Gift. Alternative would be to reduce the cost of education.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by Shancca: 1:55am On Jun 13, 2023
Ezigboune:

Give your reason fellow
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by HayB100(m): 2:26am On Jun 13, 2023
Ezigboune:
Lol, sorry eh, you go cry till eternity, all because no be Obi dey do am abi? Dey play 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by masamuel: 2:34am On Jun 13, 2023
Nice move.

But with affiliate marketing, you don't need any loan from the government.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:40am On Jun 13, 2023
MorataFC:
Good news,
chai,may God forgive those of us who don't believe in you.

Do you the processes bills pass through before being signed into law by a president?

Did these processes happen during his tenure?

I was very reluctant to open this thread because of ignorant and hypocritical bigots like you.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by laiperi: 2:45am On Jun 13, 2023
No matter what Tinubu does, haters will turn it upside down.

I never like Tinubu or his character. But I respect his policies in these few days and pray that he succeed for the good of the Country.

God works in a mysterious way. We did not expect any good from Tinubu because all our leaders have been disappointing to say the least.

If Tinubu continues like this, he has my little widow's mite. Good job!
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by SmartODINO: 3:03am On Jun 13, 2023
What if the student japa immediately after graduating? Who go come pay dey debt?
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by aestake: 3:29am On Jun 13, 2023
Deriya:
Please if anybody can help me with any little amount to eat I will be very happy. Feeding is a big problem for me and my family please no matter how small. I havent eaten anything since yesterday in the morning pls. My dad is a retired teacher and my mom is late. Am a single mother with my own son mouth to feed, the little money i make have use it to cater for my dad illness and pay house rent but his health is getting worst. Now we can't even eat or buy water to drink. Please if you're reading this message pls come to our aid, no matter how small it will go a long way pls. May God meet you at the point of your need as you have show us mercy amen

Acct num:
FaithS.H
First Bank
Try and give someone, my friend.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by Sleekfingers: 3:32am On Jun 13, 2023
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by lolu2019: 3:35am On Jun 13, 2023
obiekunie01:
We know the part of the country that loves taking loans - sad-waste will rush it thinking its free money.

while the mall.os will rush it thinking its their normal birth right -

you graduate - no job and they end up defaulting - then the sharks will mercilessly come for their pound of flesh!

with loan sharks on their neck day in day out!

frustration sets in - then the thought process will change to "just end it all"

NO RIGHT THINKING STUDENT WILL GO FOR THIS SHIT!

I TRUST MY BROTHERS, WE WILL NEVER EVER TOUCH THE LOAN EVEN IF ITS FORCED ON US.

He who goes a-borrowing ENDS UP A-SORROWING!
everyone knows that u and ur brothers are natural born thieves.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by princemillla(m): 4:36am On Jun 13, 2023
Ezigboune:

Can you pls explain sir,
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by FireUpNow(m): 4:40am On Jun 13, 2023
The govt should also look at establishing skill acquisition centres in the country to absorb more people who are interested in learning skills. I just hope banks and dean of students affairs of various schools will not take advantage of students applying for the loans. Nigerians are terrible people in some areas. Nice one
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by 1972xy: 4:41am On Jun 13, 2023
AlphaWolf27:

E be like say you dey owe palmpay
check his name ,na obingwa .
Better thing no de follow them.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by 9jaRealist: 4:41am On Jun 13, 2023
nlfpmod:
https://twitter.com/MSIngawa/status/1668343172886409216?t=oDxB8mDINHEiYFJYNDP3Bg&s=08
Without prejudice, when exactly did the bill pass through the National Assembly?!

Hopefully, this doesn’t turn out to replicate the FG’s Students’ Loans program of our parents’ generation in the 1970s/80s, which just turned out as a massive drain on the national treasury (and ironically many of the beneficiaries ended up ”japa-ing”! At the very least, I would suggest that recipients of these loans not be issued with passports until the fully repay their loans (with an exception made for students traveling for advanced degrees), because the experience of our parents’ generation (1970s/80s) turned out to be that once people ”japa”, any hope or expectation of repayment (or ability to collect) vanish with them - effectively having Nigerian taxpayers funding/subsidizing skilled manpower for much richer advanced economies
>

1 Like

Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by irianan: 4:54am On Jun 13, 2023
This is good move in the right direction, my only observation is the guarantors aspect of the law, the difficulty of securing the listed guarantors would be enormous and may give birth to further corruption; asking for percentages or divide and share mechanisms. Where will children of the poor get hold of the guarantors. The admission letters and attendance certification/registration would have been enough to access this fund.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by Peppysco: 4:57am On Jun 13, 2023
Samirana360:
I remember Dr Chris ngige of anambra state ... when he stole peter obi’s Mandate and started working hard to win the heart of anambra people but at the end he was kicked out by the the court. So tinubu if u like turn urself to messiah just know u r working with a stolen mandate.. thank u and goodnight

Wow, what a piece of information. Yet, the roads constructed by the displaced Ngige are still effectively in use while the ones done by the crooked Obi are nowhere to be found.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by 9jaRealist: 5:01am On Jun 13, 2023
irianan:
This is good move in the right direction, my only observation is the guarantors aspect of the law, the difficulty of securing the listed guarantors would be enormous and may give birth to further corruption; asking for percentages or divide and share mechanisms. Where will children of the poor get hold of the guarantors. The admission letters and attendance certification/registration would have been enough to access this fund.

Somebody has to actually pay for these loans…
Otherwise, the FG might as well just dish out scholarships.

I suspect many recipients will not repay anyway (and will instead simply ”japa” if they can).
>
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by Peppysco: 5:03am On Jun 13, 2023
dejol88:
Are Nigeria student in federal university paying tuition fee?
I read that the loan is for tuition fee payment only.

Will this student loan not lead to massive defaults by student thereby leading to unnecessary wastage of scarce resources. We know government will go and borrow to fund this.

Since subsidy has been removed, can’t FG increase funding for our universities so that poor students won’t have to pay much for schooling I’m federal owned schools.

You should have read the article before making your comment. The government isn't borrowing to fund it rather, it made provisions for funding through 1% deduction from taxes and other levies accruing to the government, 1% deduction from profits from the sale of crude oil and other mineral resources and also deductions from grants and aids received. So, the government isn't borrowing to fund the Bill.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by DaveJacuzie: 5:30am On Jun 13, 2023
ghanaman5050:
(3. Provide at least 2 guarantors (Civil Servant above Level 12 or Lawyer with at least 10 years post-call experience)
The loan is not for poor or average Nigerian.
Loans are not for very poor people, that's the truth...even in developed countries. You have to have a good credit rating/history. Nobody loans money to someone who is not likely to pay back. It is a loan not a scholarship.
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by georgeakins: 5:31am On Jun 13, 2023
Samirana360:
With or without presidency we r doing better than ur tribe

Dey fool yourself!

I have many of ibos as my friends. All of them boast, including those who cannot eat and feed well.

Boasting is part of your culture due to your incurable inferiority complex.

Jagaban is your lord, master and saviour.
Every Ibo must adore and worship him,
He is greater Azikwe, Ojukwu, Ekwueme all put together.
He is the greatest politician to have come out of Nigeria.
He is the Conqueror of Peter Obi
Bow down and worship Jagaban!
Re: Breakdown Of The Student Loan Bill by XY23: 5:33am On Jun 13, 2023
Omenlon:
so you no get civil servants for your area, church or mosque when you go fit approach? Level 12 full everywhere naow

You seem to be naive or simply ignorant of what this caveat means. So, if your were a qualified guarantor, you would randomly stand as surety for anyone you're familiar with? This is loan, not recommendation letter for admission. I know how civil servants can be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See What A Student Of Godfrey Okoye University Produced (photo) / Which Nigeria University Would You Advice Even Your Enemy Not To Go To And Why? / UNIABUJA Male Student Allegedlly Wanking While Peeping Into Female Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.