Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,529 members, 7,819,905 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Name This City And Win 100 USD - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Name This City And Win 100 USD (8042 Views)

Ondo City And Impact Of Good Governance / What City And State Is This? / When Will Nigeria Be Like This City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by chy101: 6:50pm On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

It depends on the context you worthless dummy, I'm more educated than your entire family.

You are still arguing blindly with no data to back up your claims; now you are talking about an old woman! What a joke, now answer these questions and back up your answer with some CREDIBLE data, NOT stories and articles on someones personal OPINION.

Where are your figures for Igbo economic activities in the SW? 
How many jobs do Igbo people create in Lagos? 
How much do they pay in taxes? 
If Igbo people are so enterprising why are they not trading in the SE? - which means why are they not turning the SE into the Japan of Nigeria?

Answer the questions

You are just arguing blindly, who told you that the Igbos are not trading or investing in the East, where do you have the largest commercial center in entire West Africa, if not Onitsha Anambra state
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 6:54pm On Oct 05, 2011
http://allafrica.com/stories/201106221185.html

Daily Independent (Lagos)
Nigeria: Asobie Explains Poverty in Yorubaland

Oladele Ogunsola

21 June 2011

on Twitter Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Muti StumbleUpon

Ibadan — It has been observed that the continued reliance on income from the Federation Account by successive governments in the South-West geo-political zone of the country has only further impoverished the people.

Former National President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Assisi Asobie, made the observation on Tuesday at a two-day capacity building workshop for civil society organisations in the South West zone with the theme "Channeling Extractive Resources for National Development".

At the workshop organised by Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI), Asobie, who is the chairman of the initiative, lamented that non-exploitation and harnessing the natural resources of the South-West region by successive governments in the region had been responsible for the rise in the poverty rate of Yoruba people.

He maintained that exploiting the natural resources of the zone remains the best bet in enhancing the state and national revenue as well as increasing the take of the region from the federation account through, among other things, benefitting from the derivation principle.

The purpose of the workshop, according to him, was to shore up the hold of the civil societies groups on their home government and revealed that the South West came second in the sharing of the federation account between regions in the country between June 1999 and June 2005 with N550, 526 billion which he noted represented 3.49 percent.

Finito. That is the gospel truth. The SW, like the North depends 100% on fed allocation. Fasola has changed a bit of this, I agree, for Lagos.
At the government level, Igbo states may be poor due to low allocation from the feds, but the citizens are not as poor as those from other regions because they are not idle. Now I declare this thread closed and for good reason
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by chy101: 6:55pm On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

Another small piece of evidence

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article14//indexn3_html?pdate=191209&ptitle=Nigerians In Diaspora Remit $1.7 billion Home Yearly&cpdate=191209

Nigerians In Diaspora Remit $1.7 billion Home Yearly
From Simeon Nwakaudu, Makurdi

NIGERIANS in the Diaspora remit over $1.7 billion yearly to family members and friends at home, an avenue of finance that can be exploited by the Federal Government for national development.

This disclosure was made by Prof. Toyin Falola of the University of Texas, Austin, United States (U.S.), during a public lecture he delivered at the Benue State University, Makurdi on Thursday.

Speaking on the topic "Citizens at Home, Citizens Abroad and the Globalisation of Knowledge," Falola declared that Nigerians in the Diaspora make huge remittances that could be translated to the good of the nation annually.

Falola, who was invested with the Julius Nyerere Professorial Chair of Modern African History by the Vice Chancellor of the university, Prof. Paul Akase Sorkaa, on the same day, disclosed that during the Olusegun Obasanjo administration, he suggested the introduction of a Diaspora Tax for Nigerians abroad, especially in the West, as their contribution to national development.

However, he stated that such a tax might be impracticable because of the challenges of corruption and the application of resources that may accrue there from.

He said: "If the Nigerian Civil War had taken place 20 years after the time it took place, it would have lasted more than three years because the Igbo in United States alone can finance the entire civil war."

Falola noted that several countries of the world have taken advantage of their large Diaspora communities to finance development back home, saying that Nigeria  should do the same.

He stated that the State of Israel came into being and was nurtured into the technological giant it is today through the financial contributions of its Diaspora community in the U.S.

Falola also cited the Philippines as a country where highly qualified nurses are trained and sent out to work in other countries and pay Diaspora taxes to their home country for its growth.

He regretted that in Africa, the situation is such that highly qualified professionals were trained only for them to migrate to other developed nations, due to harsh economic realities, where they contribute to strengthen the economies of their host countries.

The don stated that Africa lost 13 million of its citizens to the developed world through slavery, while the harsh economic realities of the Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP) drove another 15 million to Western countries in the 1980s.

Falola said: "I am proposing the practical and academic integration of Africa with its Diaspora citizens in many ways that ideas, goods and people can freely circulate for the upliftment of all so that we can move to the centre of world history."

In his remarks, Prof. Sorkaa said the university was moving towards collaborating with the Nigerian intelligentsia in the Diaspora to develop a stronger academic environment that would help the nation.

I will implore you to desist from responding to this yaroba guy who does not seems to comprehend simple english, what figures does he need when all the facts are glaring of decay in the SW. They should start building the middle class just like the SE/SS has done and even the north has since followed the trend. It is only the middle class that can save the SW, if not they will continue sliding until they are no more. Just a look at towns like Ibadan, Akure, Abeokuta will convince anybody that this is a big slum and poverty embedded region.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 7:00pm On Oct 05, 2011
chy101:

[size=18pt]You are just arguing blindly[/size], who told you that the Igbos are not trading or investing in the East, where do you have the largest commercial center in entire West Africa, if not Onitsha Anambra state

No I asked some questions and you cannot answer them with any credible data,

your words: "where do you have the largest commercial center in entire West Africa, if not Onitsha Anambra state"

Where is the proof that its the largest in West Africa? Or are you just DREAMING?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:02pm On Oct 05, 2011
For all we know, the two zones statistics look like this:

Zone                            SW  SE
Mean income                     X   .8X
standard dev of income          Y   .7Y

and they conclude that "poverty" in the SW is higher because Y/X > .875 Y/X

But most would choose the former zone over the latter any day of the week.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by realchange: 7:03pm On Oct 05, 2011
I read somewhere in the past that SE has the highest number of Micro finance banks and institutions. Could that be responsible for the low poverty in that region?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 7:04pm On Oct 05, 2011
chy101:

I will implore you to desist from responding to this yaroba guy who does not seems to comprehend simple english, what figures does he need when all the facts are glaring of decay in the SW. They should start building the middle class just like the SE/SS has done and even the north has since followed the trend. It is only the middle class that can save the SW, if not they will continue sliding until they are no more. Just a look at towns like Ibadan, Akure, Abeokuta will convince anybody that this is a big slum and poverty embedded region.

You can't even construct a sentence, so i can see why you are afraid of superior knowledge.  You @chy101 and @South-East love to indulge in copying and pasting of YORUBA Articles that contain a minute reference to your pipe dreams - Dummies  grin
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 7:05pm On Oct 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

For all we know, the two zones statistics look like this:

Zone                            SW  SE
Mean income                     X   .8X
standard dev of income          Y   .7Y

and they conclude that "poverty" in the SW is higher because Y/X > .875 Y/X

But most would choose the former zone over the latter any day of the week.

What is the evidence that Yorubas live better lives than Igbos? The average Yoruba is poorer so where is the better life coming from? Or do you imply that Adenuga and Tinubu are average Yorubas?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 7:06pm On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

You can't even construct a sentence, so i can see why you are afraid of superior knowledge.  You @chy101 and @South-East love to indulge in copying and pasting of YORUBA Articles that contain a minute reference to your pipe dreams - Dummies  grin

You live in absolute denial.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:07pm On Oct 05, 2011
GDP of the SW, as measured by every organization I've seen is way higher than that of the SE.

Even adjusting for the higher population of the SW zone versus the SE, GDP/capita is higher.

I'm pretty sure I've calculated this on NL before. Google NL for the thread.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by chy101: 7:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

You are quite un-sound educationally, because you don't pick up fast, probably due to dull brain. You have wasted the fake free education they granted you due to poverty that runs in your veins and yarobas in general.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 7:09pm On Oct 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

GDP of the SW, as measured by every organization I've seen is way higher than that of the SE.

Even adjusting for the higher population of the SW zone versus the SE, GDP/capita is higher.

I'm pretty sure I've calculated this on NL before. Google NL for the thread.

Back to GDP again? Na waoh! GDP money wey dey for only 3 persons hands while 40 million suffer. My friend you disappoint me. kAI!!!
GDP based on fed allocation which gives more to the SW than SE due to many factors inclusing more states in the SW than SE? Learn, dude.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:10pm On Oct 05, 2011
@ch101: Even using that list, 30% of the least poor states in Nigeria are in the SW.

So how can it be the poorest region, even under whatever definition of poor they are using?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by tpia5: 7:11pm On Oct 05, 2011
i see no one wants to address the question of why everybody is still running to the "poorer" sw.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 7:12pm On Oct 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

@ch101: Even using that list, 30% of the least poor states in Nigeria are in the SW.

So how can it be the poorest region, even under whatever definition of poor they are using?

Who says it is the poorest? The North is the poorest, but the SW is poorer than the SE despite:
1. Greater allocation from the feds
2. More billionaires in the SW than SE

It is BTW, 30% of 10 states only, though I understand what you mean.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:13pm On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

Back to GDP again? Na waoh! GDP money wey dey for only 3 persons hands while 40 million suffer. My friend you disappoint me. kAI!!!

Do you agree that GDP/capita is higher in the SW than the SE? Or better, can you find a single organization or piece of data that suggests otherwise?

We can return to the discussion of how evenly wealth is distributed (variance), but I don't want you to be dancing back and forth between mean and variance trying to confuse the issue.

So again, do you agree that the mean income is higher in the SW than the SE? And if you do not, provide a single bit of evidence suggesting otherwise.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 7:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

Do you agree that GDP/capita is higher in the SW than the SE? Or better, can you find a single organization or piece of data that suggests otherwise?

We can return to the discussion of how evenly wealth is distributed (variance), but I don't want you to be dancing back and forth between mean and variance trying to confuse the issue.

So again, do you agree that the mean income is higher in the SW than the SE? And if you do not, provide a single bit of evidence suggesting otherwise.

How does that relate to poverty levels which is what I am talking about here?

How can the GDP of Osun (no single viable industry) beat that of Anambra (with many industries,albeit private not considered in the GDP measurements) if not for fed allocation? Fed allocation = low poverty, Got that?

All poverty data supports me. Shikena
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:16pm On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

Who says it is the poorest? The North is the poorest, but the SW is poorer than the SE despite:
1. Greater allocation from the feds
2. More billionaires in the SW than SE

It is BTW, 30% of 10 states only, though I understand what you mean.

By that list, then the the SW is also less poor than the SS, is it not?

My suspicion is that they are using a sd/mean sort of calculation. Which is misleading, as this post (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-773413.160.html#msg9282881) showed.

Anyway, 2nd lowest poverty rate in Nigeria + 2nd highest GDP (after SS) is fine by me.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 7:18pm On Oct 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

By that list, then the the SW is also less poor than the SS, is it not?

My suspicion is that they are using a sd/mean sort of calculation. Which is misleading, as this post (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-773413.160.html#msg9282881) showed.

Anyway, 2nd lowest poverty rate in Nigeria + 2nd highest GDP (after SS) is fine by me.

No. It is equal with SS- 3 of 3 out of 6 of 6 in each case, no?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:18pm On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

How does that relate to poverty levels which is what I am talking about here?

How can the GDP of Osun (no single viable industry) beat that of Anambra (with many industries,albeit private not considered in the GDP measurements) if not for fed allocation? Fed allocation = low poverty, Got that?

All poverty data supports me. Shikena

1. When did private industry not get considered in GDP?
2. What % of GDP is fed allocation?
3. When did fed allocation = low poverty?

I suspect that you have no clue how they are even calculating poverty. And if you do, then kindly state the definition they are using explicitly.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 7:19pm On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

You live in absolute denial.

[size=18pt]Where are your figures for Igbo economic activities in the SW?
How many jobs do Igbo people create in Lagos?
How much do they pay in taxes?
If Igbo people are so enterprising why are they not trading in the SE? - which means why are they not turning the SE into the Japan of Nigeria?

Answer the questions with some credible DATA [/size]
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:20pm On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

No. It is equal with SS- 3 of 3 out of 6 of 6 in each case, no?

My fault, you are correct. 4 for SE, 3 for SW and 3 for SS. I neglected Edo in the SS.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:21pm On Oct 05, 2011
SE, how is poverty being calculated? Mathematically? I hope you see that if it is a SD/Mean sort of calculation, then it is definitely not the usual sense in which people say "poor" or "rich."
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 7:23pm On Oct 05, 2011
ekt_bear:

1. When did private industry not get considered in GDP?
2. What % of GDP is fed allocation?
3. When did fed allocation = low poverty?

I suspect that you have no clue how they are even calculating poverty. And if you do, then kindly state the definition they are using explicitly.

I meant GDP is not = to low poverty; sorry for the error
Private industries will not be considered, I am sure, because those who compute GDP will rely on their owners to provide the basic data as to how much they are worth. No Nigerian middle-level private business man will do that. Most will claim they are poor to evade tax and all that.

Most GDPs except Lagos (because of more organized industries with accurate record keeping) will be 100% fed allocation, otherwise how can those impoverished northern states beat many southern states?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by realchange: 7:27pm On Oct 05, 2011
I really think that you guys are wasting your time with this debate because we don't have reliable statistics on individual incomes and tribes in Nigeria.
Igbos are in SW in great numbers and so they would skew the data somehow because they may live and do business in the SW but ultimately would send money to SE without anyone measuring that.
The only time we may get reliable statistics is if Igbos go back to SE and stay there. Only then can be begin to guess.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:27pm On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

I meant GDP is not = to low poverty; sorry for the error
Private industries will not be considered, I am sure, because those who compute GDP will rely on their owners to provide the basic data as to how much they are worth. No Nigerian middle-level private business man will do that. Most will claim they are poor to evade tax and all that.

Most GDPs except Lagos (because of more organized industries with accurate record keeping) will be 100% fed allocation, otherwise how can those impoverished northern states beat many southern states?

So your hypothesis is that poor record keeping means that state GDP data is useless except for Lagos. But poor record keeping doesn't affect poverty stats?

OK, let's temporarily accept your hypothesis that we shouldn't accept state GDP data.

So why should we accept this poverty data? Actually before you even do that, can you explain how it is calculated?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 7:32pm On Oct 05, 2011
chy101:

You are just arguing blindly, who told you that the Igbos are not trading or investing in the East, where do you have the largest commercial center in entire West Africa, if not Onitsha Anambra state

where did you get that from

If onitsha is even the biggest market in Nigeria I would be surprise

sabon gari is even larger than onitsha not to talk of idumota, bojir(ibandan ) etc

stop lying and contiune with ur bigotry
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 7:35pm On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

[size=18pt]Igbos dominate the informal sector which is not well reported[/size], yet is the most critical sector in Nigeria. That is why also poverty is less in Igboland. Igbos outside Igboland may not repatriate investments as much, but they repatriate cash to their relatives. I know of an old woman who nets in 150K every month from two of her children living outside Igboland

“The informal sector is economic activity that is neither taxed nor monitored by a government, and is not included in that government's Gross National Product (GNP), as opposed to a formal economy.”

This is what is so funny to me, why bite the hand that feeds you? If the Igbo are as good as the poster claims then I think they should develop the south-East so that Nigeria will become richer.

However you have already admitted that most Igbo businesses are in the “Informal sector”, which means that most of their businesses are illegal and do not pay taxes – this is unhealthy and unacceptable, hence you are claiming that most igbo businesses are parasitic and illegal. Did you not learn this in your Economics 101 course?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 7:39pm On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

“The informal sector is economic activity that is neither taxed nor monitored by a government, and is not included in that government's Gross National Product (GNP), as opposed to a formal economy.”

This is what is so funny to me, why bite the hand that feeds you? If the Igbo are as good as the poster claims then I think they should develop the south-East so that Nigeria will become richer.

However you have already admitted that most Igbo businesses are in the “Informal sector”, which means that most of their businesses are illegal and do not pay taxes – this is unhealthy and unacceptable, hence you are claiming that most igbo businesses are parasitic and illegal. Did you not learn this in your Economics 101 course?

LOL you and ekt-bear are still on this thread. I would advice you 2 to leave this thread so south-east/aloy-emeka and others like him can wallow in their ignorance.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 7:43pm On Oct 05, 2011
alj_harem:

LOL you and ekt-bear are still on this thread. I would advice you 2 to leave this thread so south-east/aloy-emeka and others like him can wallow in their ignorance.

I know what you mean its the second time you have warned me now, but its too much fun schooling these blind dumb dumbs  grin grin grin
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:44pm On Oct 05, 2011
Anyways, all of this amuses the hell out of me. Mostly just for sh1ts and giggles.

Everyone is entitled to believe what they like about the economic strength of their zone.

But me? I get daily reminders about how my beliefs are almost certainly truth.

E.g., this screen capture grabbed from skyscrapercity.com:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2kjy9y.png
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by chy101: 7:45pm On Oct 05, 2011
alj_harem:

where did you get that from

If onitsha is even the biggest market in Nigeria I would be surprise

sabon gari is even larger than onitsha not to talk of idumota, bojir(ibandan ) etc

stop lying and contiune with your bigotry

Almajiri, we are not talking about aboki market where they sell carrot and carbage. Onitsha market was not adjudges the biggest because of its size but because of the huge monetary traffic/volumes and items. Ask any banker in Onitsha, the volume of money they are witnessed on daily basis that will give you a clue of huge population that troops into Onitsha to do one transaction or the other. So as you can see this discourse is for bright minds and it has gone scientific, you can't contribute any meaningful thing here for now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

3 Arrested Over Patience’s Stolen Properties / Read Father Mbaka’s Latest Prophecy About President Buhari’s Administration / Court Restrains Orbih, Otsu, Ihama, Others From Participating In PDP Convention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.