Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,609 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:08 PM

Name This City And Win 100 USD - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Name This City And Win 100 USD (8044 Views)

Ondo City And Impact Of Good Governance / What City And State Is This? / When Will Nigeria Be Like This City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Obiagu1(m): 6:42pm On Oct 04, 2011
deols:

and dats d only part u saw of my post ?? I said that in relation with the ethnic undertone. I showed my resentments too nd I hope the government

would do something fast.

It's because of this I didn't say much.

If I have to, I'll make it plan and simple. Ibadan is not changing now or tomorrow because the people there are poor. Not that they can't eat, school their kids etc but are poor to erect modern houses. Like I said before, money in the SW is in the hands of a privileged few and that trend is bad. Some people here find it hard to accept when we tell them the truth that SWners are poor, they'll come out fighting.
Unlike the SE, we may not have top 20, top 50 most wealthy men in Nigeria, we do have the largest percentage of wealthy men, wealthy enough to build 3/4/5 storey buildings every now and then.

Same is happening in Lagos, areas dominated by SEners have housing similar to the SE, multi-storey buildings, whereas those dominated by SWners lag way behind.

Government can't do much either. For Ibadan to change, the general outlook of Nigeria has to change and that's where the problem is because Nigeria may not be on the path of growth yet. The people in Ibadan are too dependent on the government.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 6:48pm On Oct 04, 2011
Obiagu1:

If I have to, I'll make it plan and simple. Ibadan is not changing now or tomorrow because the people there are poor. Not that they can't eat, school their kids etc but are poor to elect modern houses. Like I said before, money in the SW is in the hands of a privileged few and that trend is bad. Some people here find it hard to accept when we tell them the truth that SWners are poor, they'll come out fighting.
Unlike the SE, we may not have top 20, top 50 most wealthy men in Nigeria, but we do have the largest percentage of wealthy men, wealthy enough to build 3/4/5 storey buildings every now and then.

Same is happening in Lagos, areas dominated by SEners have housing similar to the SE, multi-storey buildings, whereas those dominated by SWners lag way behind.

Government can't do much either. For Ibadan to change, the general outlook of Nigeria has to change and that's where the problem is because Nigeria maybe not be on the path of growth yet. The people in Ibadan are too dependent on the government.

You make so much sense about the poverty levels. See also https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-371485.0.html
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by hercules07: 8:56pm On Oct 04, 2011
So Obiagu has gone over Lagos to determine that only SEastern landlords build multi-storey buildings, why not just come out and say you hate Yorubas, at least we will know, do you think people building deckings like they do in Onitsha is a sign of prosperity? Ibadan has a lot of poor people no doubt, but, there are nice areas in the city as well, I have travelled all over the SE and I will not allow you to make me denigrate the city where I met my wife (Owerri for your information).
The people of Ibadan are not dependent on the government, they are hard working people who have taken their destinies into their hands, Ibadan is not known as a civil service state, hope you are aware that the city has many industries (Nigerian Breweries and BAT to mention a few).
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 9:02pm On Oct 04, 2011
hercules07:

So Obiagu has gone over Lagos to determine that only SEastern landlords build multi-storey buildings, why not just come out and say you hate Yorubas, at least we will know, do you think people building deckings like they do in Onitsha is a sign of prosperity? Ibadan has a lot of poor people no doubt, but, there are nice areas in the city as well, I have travelled all over the SE and I will not allow you to make me denigrate the city where I met my wife (Owerri for your information).
The people of Ibadan are not dependent on the government, they are hard working people who have taken their destinies into their hands, Ibadan is not known as a civil service state, hope you are aware that the city has many industries (Nigerian Breweries and BAT to mention a few).

I know there are tons of data to support Obiagu, but based on your own anecdotal experience, can you say, without sentiments, where poverty is more rife between SE and SW?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by hercules07: 9:13pm On Oct 04, 2011
SE

Do not go there o, the two regions are poor, I have travelled round the SE and there is nothing to show for that region apart from the capital city, I have been to Okija, Iheala, all those villages between Umuahia and Ikot Ekpene, Aba, that town where you have Caritas University, Uturu and seen the villages along the road from Owerri to Aba, have stopped in some of those villages off Aba - Okigwe road, infact Okigwe that is quite popular is disappointing, I have gone to Owerri from Umuahia, gone to Owerri from Okigwe, those villagers I saw were poor o. Onitsha is one messed up city, travelled from Enugu to 9th Mile, been from Onitsha to Enugu, bros bone that thing, the two regions house poor people.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 9:18pm On Oct 04, 2011
hercules07:

SE

Do not go there o, the two regions are poor, I have travelled round the SE and there is nothing to show for that region apart from the capital city, I have been to Okija, Iheala, all those villages between Umuahia and Ikot Ekpene, Aba, that town where you have Caritas University, Uturu and seen the villages along the road from Owerri to Aba, have stopped in some of those villages off Aba - Okigwe road, infact Okigwe that is quite popular is disappointing, I have gone to Owerri from Umuahia, gone to Owerri from Okigwe, those villagers I saw were poor o. Onitsha is one messed up city, travelled from Enugu to 9th Mile, been from Onitsha to Enugu, bros bone that thing, the two regions house poor people.

Both are poor, no doubt, but which is poorer? One must be poorer than the other. What do you see in Igbo villages compared to Yoruba ones?
Nigerian is poverty personified.

Your iyawo an Igbo woman so you want to play the type of safe political games that Obama plays. I understand.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by hercules07: 9:23pm On Oct 04, 2011
My Iyawo is an Ekiti woman, met her in Owerri when she was serving there, in the absence of statistics, I will say they are both poor.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by chy101: 9:44pm On Oct 04, 2011
hercules07:

SE

My friend shuttappp. talk about Onitsha the commercial hub of the SE with respect. Onitsha represent New York to Ibadam, akure, abeokuta and other dungeons state capitals in the SW. Even my home town Uga is far more developed and modern that Ibadan not to talk Onitsha. I wonder when you yarobas will start translating your so called education to your environment. You guys pack professors both fake and 'oluwale' all in the name of professorship but yet you guys continue to wallow in deep poverty, you guys continue to live in mud and cranky houses.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by abagoro(m): 9:52pm On Oct 04, 2011
chy101:

My friend shuttappp. talk about Onitsha the commercial hub of the SE with respect. Onitsha represent New York to Ibadam, akure, abeokuta and other dungeons state capitals in the SW. Even my home town Uga is far more developed and modern that Ibadan not to talk Onitsha. I wonder when you yarobas will start translating your so called education to your environment. You guys pack professors both fake and 'oluwale' all in the name of professorship but yet you guys continue to wallow in deep poverty, you guys continue to live in mud and cranky houses.

Chino11 has taken another user name.lol! Why is it that you find it so difficult to accept what is quite glaring.Onitsha has no difference with Ibadan except that there are more 4 storey buildings and it is much smaller than Ibadan in land mass.Nigerians are generally poor but we must agree that while Igbos parade less super rich,Igbos seem to have income more evenly distributed.

As per the tall building,it has to do with scarcity of land.It is an involuntary effect of over-population on Igbos.It is similar to the mass outward migration of Igbos as well.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Ufeolorun(m): 9:55pm On Oct 04, 2011
hercules07:

My Iyawo is an Ekiti woman, met her in Owerri when she was serving there, in the absence of statistics, I will say they are both poor.

Ask her to tell you more about Owerri using Ekiti dialect she will surely crack you up big time,Ekiti women are very hiLARious and fun to banter with cheesy
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by chy101: 9:56pm On Oct 04, 2011
hercules07:

You can't possibly say that they are both poor, because even the poorest village in the SE can compete favorably with the type of state capitals you have in the SW. I have been to ondo town, akure, ibadam the story is the same. Its the same mud houses all the way, poor planning. What I saw in the SW is pour linear settlement, where people build houses on the road with proper environmental planning and no good road network. You hardly find one modern building in the whole of akure or ibadan the state capitals. Its not funny
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 10:01pm On Oct 04, 2011
chy101:

You can't possibly say that they are both poor, because even the poorest village in the SE can compete favorably with the type of state capitals you have in the SW. I have been to ondo town, akure, ibadam the story is the same. Its the same mud houses all the way, poor planning. What I saw in the SW is pour linear settlement, where people build houses on the road with proper environmental planning and no good road network. You hardly find one modern building in the whole of akure or ibadan the state capitals. Its not funny

calm down, I don't believe SW or Ibadan is in any competition with SE or Onitsha.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by lagcity(m): 10:03pm On Oct 04, 2011
chei see ibo vampires on the thread grin like Mr Beaf would say, can i offer you guys a cup of fresh bat blood? grin
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by chy101: 10:04pm On Oct 04, 2011
abagoro:

Chino11 has taken another user name.lol! Why is it that you find it so difficult to accept what is quite glaring.Onitsha has no difference with Ibadan except that there are more 4 storey buildings and it is much smaller than Ibadan in land mass.Nigerians are generally poor but we must agree that while Igbos parade less super rich,Igbos seem to have income more evenly distributed.

As per the tall building,it has to do with scarcity of land.It is an involuntary effect of over-population on Igbos.It is similar to the mass outward migration of Igbos as well.

Abagworo, you have taken up another username ok. Well I don't blaim you. Owerre and Ibadam has no difference in anything, both are planless without proper environmental organization and coordination. I know that the economic height of Onitsha is always your envy, so keep dying in silence while Onitsha is soaring in strength from Seaport to power plant to sabmiller to many more investors trooping into the town. Owerre for all I care is home to whores/LovePeddlers and otokotos same as Ibadan
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 10:06pm On Oct 04, 2011
lagcity:

chei see ibo vampires on the thread grin like Mr Beaf would say, can i offer you guys a cup of fresh bat blood? grin

don't mind south-east, chino11 and co

but I would love to think it is only some of them that think this way grin grin grin

of course south-east aka aloy-emeka is an ingrate and tribalistic doluwa

chino11 aka chy101 is just a psycho that is obsessed with anambra grin grin grin
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Nnenna1(f): 10:12pm On Oct 04, 2011
Who is this Chino11 guy?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 10:35pm On Oct 04, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=774700.msg9276789#msg9276789

Nnenna1:

So you woke up this morning and getting even with Igbos was on your mind? ROFL!

Sane people will NEVER open a thread to bash anyone out of spite because it is silly and childish.

Enjoy your so-called revenge. This is last time I'm responding to or entertaining this obvious rubbish.

Wheres your venom for the Yoruba haters?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Nnenna1(f): 11:10pm On Oct 04, 2011
nolongTing:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=774700.msg9276789#msg9276789

Wheres your venom for the Yoruba haters?

First of all - Why are you following me around?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 11:16pm On Oct 04, 2011
hercules07:

They are both poor but one is surely poorer and both are better than the North. And, there is ample statistics even here on NL, some even here on this thread. Read my response to Obiagu with a link. We can start from there and then I will provide more reference.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 11:16pm On Oct 04, 2011
Nnenna1:

answer the question if u are being honest with yourself
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Nnenna1(f): 11:20pm On Oct 04, 2011
alj_harem:

answer the question if u are being honest with yourself

Which question? Why I'm not responding with "venom"? So from now on I should respond with this so called "venom" to all anti-tribe threads to make everyone happy?

Some of you are funny o. Please stop taking notes on my movement.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 11:45pm On Oct 04, 2011
Nnenna1:

lol! Why get so defensive? Browsing a forum is not following you; what a phony, little, emotional, hypocrite you are - end of the story, bye.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Relax101(m): 12:09am On Oct 05, 2011
This chino101 guy na funny human being. Haba.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by emiye(m): 12:20am On Oct 05, 2011
@ op
you need deliverance from the demonic spirit of tribalism angry angry

You' ve got legions of them in you.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 12:25am On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

They are both poor but one is surely poorer and both are better than the North. And, there is ample statistics even here on NL, some even here on this thread. Read my response to Obiagu with a link. We can start from there and then I will provide more reference.

Answer your own question Mr @South-East, you was educated and lived in Oyo you should know the answer  grin grin grin grin
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Nnenna1(f): 12:37am On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

lol! Why get so defensive? Browsing a forum is not following you; what a phony, little, emotional, hypocrite you are - end of the story, bye.

I bet writing that little piece above made you feel REAL good didn't it? wink

LOL. Na wa for stalkers.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 12:38am On Oct 05, 2011
Obiagu1:

If I have to, I'll make it plan and simple. Ibadan is not changing now or tomorrow because the people there are poor. Not that they can't eat, school their kids etc but are poor to erect modern houses. Like I said before, money in the SW is in the hands of a privileged few and that trend is bad. Some people here find it hard to accept when we tell them the truth that [size=18pt]SWners are poor,[/size] they'll come out fighting.
Unlike the SE, we may not have top 20, top 50 most wealthy men in Nigeria, we do have the largest percentage of wealthy men, wealthy enough to build 3/4/5 storey buildings every now and then.

Government can't do much either. For Ibadan to change, the general outlook of Nigeria has to change and that's where the problem is because Nigeria may not be on the path of growth yet. The people in Ibadan are too dependent on the government.

South-East:

You make so much sense about the poverty levels. See also https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-371485.0.html

Rank State         GDP (PPP$)
1 Lagos State 33,679,258,023
2 Rivers State 21,073,410,422
3 Delta State 16,749,250,544
4 Oyo State     16,121,670,484
5 Imo State      14,212,637,486
6 Kano State 12,393,103,864
7 Edo State 11,888,446,884
8 Akwa Ibom State 11,179,887,963
9 Ogun State 10,470,415,017
10 Kaduna State 10,334,763,785
11 Cross River State 9,292,059,207
12Abia State        8,687,442,705
13 Ondo State 8,414,302,623
14 Osun State 7,280,597,521
15 Benue State 6,864,209,262
16 Anambra State 6,764,219,562
17 Katsina State 6,022,655,197
18 Niger State 6,002,007,080
19 Borno State 5,175,165,142
20 Plateau State 5,154,059,937
21 Sokoto State 4,818,615,261
22 Bauchi State 4,713,858,180
23 Kogi State      4,642,794,262
24 Adamawa State 4,582,045,246
25 Enugu State 4,396,590,769 <======
26 Bayelsa State 4,337,065,923
27 Zamfara State 4,123,829,498
28 Kwara State 3,841,827,534
29 Taraba State 3,397,790,217
30 Kebbi State 3,290,847,166
31 Nassarawa State 3,022,828,885
32 Jigawa State 2,988,014,405
33 Ekiti State       2,848,372,512
34Ebonyi State 2,732,472,739
35 Gombe State 2,500,467,306
36 Yobe State 2,011,499,081
- Federal Capital Territory 5,010,968,012
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 12:40am On Oct 05, 2011
Nolongthing:

What does GDP PPP tell you? It only says there is more money (wealth) in one zone than the other, it does not say how the money is spread in actual terms.

In contrast to lower poverty that I am talking about: In SW there is hardly a meeting point between the rich and poor. The rich is so rich and the poor is so poor. In SE the wealth is more spread, hence poverty is less. Note that Lagos is not representative of SW, take into account the SE N, and SS people that form part of the millions of people there.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-371485.0.html
http://www.sarpn.org/documents/d0002273/Human_Capital_Nigeria_Oct2005.pdf
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 12:44am On Oct 05, 2011
All the money in Oyo (SW, I mean) are held up by 10-1000 people, leaving five million others impoverished. In the SE there is no super rich to so dominate the rest, hence less poverty overall. That is the difference I am making here and which most statistics support. GDP PPP is a not a true measure of poverty because it just divides the wealth by the population, not taking into account the real holders of the wealth. Its is a fake strategy to make the poor happy.

You can take a trip to the east and experience in actual terms lowered poverty compared to the west, where you still find a lot of thatched/mud houses in rural communities
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 12:49am On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

Nolongthing:

What does GDP PPP tell you? It only says there is more money (wealth) in one zone than the other, it does not say how the money is spread in actual terms.

In contrast to lower poverty that I am talking about: In SW there is hardly a meeting point between the rich and poor. The rich is so rich and the poor is so poor. In SE the wealth is more spread, hence poverty is less. Note that Lagos is not representative of SW, take into account the SE N, and SS people that form part of the millions of people there.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-371485.0.html
http://www.sarpn.org/documents/d0002273/Human_Capital_Nigeria_Oct2005.pdf

It clearly proves the economical strength of the area in question.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 12:54am On Oct 05, 2011
^^^

Economic strength of a zone does not directly translate to poverty reduction for that zone. The wealth is there in few hands while majority are poor. That is not the case in Igboland. Got the gist?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 12:55am On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

All the money in Oyo (SW, I mean) are held up by 10-1000 people, leaving five million others impoverished. In the SE there is no super rich to so dominate the rest, hence less poverty overall. That is the difference I am making here and which most statistics support. GDP PPP is a not a true measure of poverty because it just divides the wealth by the population, not taking into account the real holders of the wealth. Its is a fake strategy to make the poor happy.

You can take a trip to the east and experience in actual terms lowered poverty compared to the west, where you still find a lot of thatched/mud houses in rural communities

Did you take populations into account? For example Oyo has a population of 5,591,589 whilst Imo has a population of 3,934,899, hence the population of Imo is roughly HALF that of Oyo state; this means a much more difficult task of ensuring their citizens welfare.  It will also make town planning much more difficult, especially in terms of costs.  

Dis you take into account that other nigerian citizens migrate to the SW and inflate their populations? You are a classic example of such a parasite, you migrated to the SW from the SE, enjoyed FREE education, took the jobs and then have the audacity to be disrespectful - you are a joke.   grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dialogue: Ijaw Elders Reject Clark’s Team / No Doubt This Is 2023. PICTURE. / I Can't Believe These Two Brothers Are Agemates (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.