Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,759 members, 7,820,645 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Name This City And Win 100 USD - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Name This City And Win 100 USD (8045 Views)

Ondo City And Impact Of Good Governance / What City And State Is This? / When Will Nigeria Be Like This City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 7:51pm On Oct 05, 2011
chy101:

Almajiri, we are not talking about aboki market where they sell carrot and carbage. Onitsha market was not adjudges the biggest because of its size but because of the huge monetary traffic/volumes and items. Ask any banker in Onitsha, the volume of money they are witnessed on daily basis that will give you a clue of huge population that troops into Onitsha to do one transaction or the other. So as you can see this discourse is for bright minds and it has gone scientific, you can't contribute any meaningful thing here for now

Kumasi market is the largest in west africa

Jankiri market is the largest in Nigeria followed by idumota , then oyingbo then sabon gari which has the largest open market in Nigeria

all this are larger than Onitsha market and i have been to onitsha market, idumota, sabon gari and Idumota

you can also google it urself or go there to find out
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 7:56pm On Oct 05, 2011

Hehe grin grin grin
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 12:14am On Oct 06, 2011
With all that said, Skyscrapercity is a wonderful and enjoyable site to visit, if you are a Yoruba nationalist like myself cool
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by EkoIle1: 12:37am On Oct 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Hehe grin grin grin

Damn!!!

Their famous roundabouts sef didn't make the cut,

That sucks,
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 3:07am On Oct 06, 2011
alj_harem:

Kumasi market is the largest in west africa

Jankiri market is the largest in Nigeria followed by idumota , then oyingbo then sabon gari which has the largest open market in Nigeria

all this are larger than Onitsha market and i have been to onitsha market, idumota, sabon gari and Idumota

you can also google it urself or go there to find out

It depends on who you ask, to many Onitsha market is the largest in the entire Africa. Google is your friend, use.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 3:17am On Oct 06, 2011
South-East:

It depends on who you ask, to many Onitsha market is the largest in the entire Africa. Google is your friend, use.

I used it and also with me personal experience travelling and I concluded that Onitsha is not the largest market in Africa, west Africa or Nigeria.

Based on transactions Onitsha in not top 3 on this country not to talk of Africa. With that said, it a market that has great potentials as an economic hub only if Peter Obi can nurture it and make it grow better to what it is today.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 3:18am On Oct 06, 2011
alj_harem:

I used it and also with me personal experience travelling and I concluded that Onitsha is not the largest market in Africa, west Africa or Nigeria.

Based on transactions Onitsha in not top 3 on this country not to talk of Africa. With that said, it a market that has great potentials as an economic hub only if Peter Obi can nurture it and make it grow better to what it is today.

You are talking from your anus.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by EkoIle1: 3:55am On Oct 06, 2011
South-East:

Haba!!! u no dey taya with your lies and overreaching ni?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast2: 4:46pm On Oct 12, 2011
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Rimbaldi: 5:03pm On Oct 13, 2011
Ibadan has been the town of brown roofs since the first time I was there in my adult life(over 25 yrs now). It didnt just start with the present democratic republic. Even all those day by day readers we used in elementary school those days portrayed it as such, so naw bi todey e start. In fact if you are travelling from Abuja or the north and u wake up in the bus and see brown roofs all over, no need to ask where your current location is. grin grin grin
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Rimbaldi: 5:35pm On Oct 13, 2011
Demography

An Onitsha street scene.

Today, Onitsha is a modern day urban society, the people speak Igbo and English languages. There is a catholic cathedral, Anglican cathedral and it is the headquarters of so may church organizations and sociocultural groups. A federal government college is situated in the town. There is an army barrack, a school of metallurgy, and it is the home of the biggest market in the whole of Africa, the Onitsha Main Market.
[edit]
Population

The population of Onitsha is not reflected in the Nigerian census figures and the trader migrate to their bases, neighbouring villages and states during census events reducing the official figures. Onitsha also serves as base for some major industries.
[edit]
Economy

The state of Lagos and various northern towns are partially fed by supplies from Onitsha. Trade soared between the east and west of Nigeria because of Onitsha market. This made Onitsha the strategic gateway for trade between the former eastern and western regions. The Nigerian-Biafran war brought widespread devastation to the city; at its end came the subsequent oil boom years bringing a huge influx of immigrants into the city. The war-damaged facilities, still under repair, could not cope with the pace of the rural-urban exodus into the city. Slums consequently began to emerge from the hasty haphazard building construction to accommodate the huge influx.

source; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onitsha

Interesting finds but that's besides the point.

Quote from Alh harem
"Based on transactions Onitsha in not top 3 on this country not to talk of Africa"

Abeg which ones are in top three? Dont mention idumota o! cos it's not even close. Lets not allow ethnic sentiments get in the way of facts. If you have concrete facts to dislodge the next man's stance, show it or hold your peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Afenifere Deplores Presence Of Soldiers In Lagos / Jonathan Conferred With The Highest Honour In Mali / Chief Of Biafra Army Staff Addresses Commanders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.