Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,829 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

Name This City And Win 100 USD - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Name This City And Win 100 USD (8048 Views)

Ondo City And Impact Of Good Governance / What City And State Is This? / When Will Nigeria Be Like This City (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 12:56am On Oct 05, 2011
In Yorubaland, you find people even committing suicide due to poverty. Not so in the East.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:02am On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

Did you take populations into account? For example Oyo has a population of 5,591,589 whilst Imo has a population of 3,934,899, hence the population of Imo is roughly HALF that of Oyo state; this means a much more difficult task of ensuring their citizens welfare.  It will also make town planning much more difficult, especially in terms of costs.  

Dis you take into account that other nigerian citizens migrate to the SW and inflate their populations? You are a classic example of such a parasite, you migrated to the SW from the SE, enjoyed FREE education, took the jobs and then have the audacity to be disrespectful - you are a joke.   grin grin grin grin grin

How populated is Ekiti, Ondo, Osun, yet there are poorer people there than in Igbo states? Why use Oyo the one with high population?
Igbos and other Nigerians in Lagos actually helped to beef up Yoruba wealth. If those people move their investments back home, Lagos GDP will fall to a large extent.
FYI, I did not study in Yorubaland (never will). As a young man just completed the NYSC, I worked there but not out of my own volition because I was transferred there and  from day one, I was already plotting how to leave. I left when I got the slightest opportunity. Okay. SW got no dime to offer me and that is the truth. And, stop parading GDP PPP; it does not tell the true story.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 1:03am On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

In Yorubaland, you find people even committing suicide due to poverty. Not so in the East.

[size=18pt]You have moved from "Dirtiness" to "poverty reduction", to "Suicide" - How low can you go? [/size]

Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Obiagu1(m): 1:04am On Oct 05, 2011
@ nolongTing

This is where you got it all wrong. The wealth of someone like Adenuga can be spread out in the SE to about 1,000 to 10,000 guys and all in a position to build edifices. Does that say something to you?

Until you understand this and face the truth, a big city like Ibadan will keep looking like a huge slum.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:05am On Oct 05, 2011
Obiagu1:

@ nolongTing

This is where you got it all wrong. The wealth of someone like Adenuga can be spread out in the SE to about 1,000 to 10,000 guys and all in a position to build edifying houses. Does that say something to you?

Until you understand this, a big city like Ibadan will keep looking like a huge slum.

No mind the olodo. Simple explanation hard am to understand.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 1:05am On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

[size=18pt]You have moved from "Dirtiness" to "poverty reduction", to "Suicide" - How low can you go? [/size]

nolongting, you really should not be discussing with south-east aka aloy emeka of a person
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 1:07am On Oct 05, 2011
South-East:

Igbos and other Nigerians in Lagos actually helped to beef up Yoruba wealth. If those people move their investments back home, Lagos GDP will fall to a large extent.

Where are your figures?
How many jobs do Igbo people generate in Lagos?
How much do they pay in taxes?
If Igbo people are so enterprising why are they not trading in the SE?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 1:08am On Oct 05, 2011
alj_harem:

nolongting, you really should not be discussing with south-east aka aloy emeka of a person

what! @south-east is that gay alloy? lol!
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:09am On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

Where are your figures?

Who says they are not trading in the SE, when the biggest markets in West Africa are in the SE. ARE YOU REAL??
Go and ask Lagos tax agents how much they collect in taxes from Igbo traders and business men.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:10am On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

Google suicide in Nigeria and see the reasons given then correlate the names of those involved.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Obiagu1(m): 1:10am On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

Where are your figures?

This shows you've never left your SW to other places. Sorry but you need to TRAVEL!
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:11am On Oct 05, 2011
THAT ANYONE WILL REFER TO ME AS ALOY EMEKA SHOWS HOW INTELLIGENT THAT PERSON IS
I HAVE ALREADY GIVEN UP ON THAT GRASS-CHEWING COW CALLED ALJ HAREM. HIS IGNORANCE IS RIDICULOUS.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Obiagu1(m): 1:14am On Oct 05, 2011
South-East = aloy Emeka   Alh haram or what, you're really becoming irritating. How did you come up with that?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by nolongTing: 1:15am On Oct 05, 2011
Obiagu1:

@ nolongTing

This is where you got it all wrong. The wealth of someone like Adenuga can be spread out in the SE to about 1,000 to 10,000 guys and all in a position to build edifices. Does that say something to you?

Until you understand this and face the truth, a big city like Ibadan will keep looking like a huge slum.

Why mention Adenuga? Are you jealous?  How many incomes dose Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Larry Ellison cover in the USA?  The bottom line is its better to have Billionaires that are so rich they feature on Forbes than to have NONE the states you two hail from are poorer the sooner you accept it the better.  Neither of you have provided any [size=18pt]credible evidence[/size] on this poverty gap you keep ranting on about, you are two deluded twits - good night.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:15am On Oct 05, 2011
Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his death has led to the proliferation of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work, In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:17am On Oct 05, 2011
http://allafrica.com/stories/201106221185.html

Asobie Explains Poverty in Yorubaland
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Obiagu1(m): 1:21am On Oct 05, 2011
nolongTing:

Why mention Adenuga? Are you jealous?  How many incomes dose Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and Larry Ellison cover in the USA?  The bottom line is its better to have Billionaires that are so rich they feature on Forbes than to have NONE the states you two hail from are poorer the sooner you accept it the better.  Neither of you have provided any credible evidence on this poverty gap you keep ranting on about, you are two deluded twits - good night.

You really can't comprehend simple things. Most people have highlighted the fact that SW have few very wealthy people; that's not disputable, but they have the highest percentage of poor people in the South as well.
Now the question is, why does Ibadan look like a dead city? Answer: Adenugas cannot build decent houses for everyone; they can only build for their families. Very simple yet you can't understand it.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:22am On Oct 05, 2011
YORUBA RONU

By

Akin Agunbiade

Economically, the Yorubas are in the forefront in commerce and industries as well as in agriculture. Before the advent of oil doom (sorry oil boom). Our cocoa, coffee and palm-oil stood as the main sources of revenue for the nation by then. Today, the Yorubas are nowhere as far as economics viability is concerned, if oil’s money is removed. Despite all government revenue allocation in the past on agriculture, farmers in Yoruba-land least benefited year-in year-out from those allocations. Though the illegal military involvement in our political life, carefully planned by colonial master to favour certain section, contributed to our predicament. As of today the level of poverty in the rural area is alarming most especially in Yorubaland.  

http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/warticles/yoruba_ronu.htm
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 1:23am On Oct 05, 2011
Obiagu1:

South-East = aloy Emeka   Alh haram or what, you're really becoming irritating. How did you come up with that? 

How am i becoming irritating ?

Ain't you and your friend more irritating by gloating over people in poverty ? Or is it a thing of pride and achievement in which you two are proud of ?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Obiagu1(m): 1:28am On Oct 05, 2011
alj_harem:

How am i becoming irritating ?

Ain't you and your friend more irritating by gloating over people in poverty ? Or is it a thing of pride and achievement in which you two are proud of ?

I don't gloat over people's predicament. I say what I feel.

What you said was very silly, it's like someone saying Alj_harem is Seun. How does it sound?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 1:30am On Oct 05, 2011
Obiagu1:

What you said was very silly, it's like someone saying Alj_harem is Seun. How does it sound?

How can a primary school pupil (Alj Harem) be Seun (intelligent and smart)? Na garri. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by aljharem3: 1:38am On Oct 05, 2011
Obiagu1:

So what do you feel. SW people in poverty while the SE people are rich ?

I would like to know what you feel ?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 3:36am On Oct 05, 2011
The poverty rates in Lagos are higher than that of other states in the SW.

Or at least so I recall from stats I've seen before.

Can anyone post a full list of poverty by state? And how "poverty" is defined, mathematically?
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Beaf: 4:08am On Oct 05, 2011
We've beaten poverty by state and region to death on NL enough times, the general stats are like this by ranking (anyone with the strength can go dig them up).

1. SE (with the exception of Ebonyi)
2. SS (with the exception of Bayelsa)
3. SW (Oyo comes tops) / Middle Belt (exception of Niger and Adamawa)
4. Core-North

The above said; its sad to see that this thread finally degenerated into an ethnic squabble.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by ektbear: 4:10am On Oct 05, 2011
I have never seen a comprehensive list by state. If someone can find it, kindly post. My googling of NL turns up nothing.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 6:03am On Oct 05, 2011
^^^

It depends pretty much on the reporters and how far they want to go to present all data tha I am sure are available. Most end with the list of first 10 (leasta afceted by poverty) or so. Here is something you can chew on while waiting for a complete data. In one Bayelsa came first, but in the one from NAPEP (the fed agency charged with poverty alleviation in Nigeria), Anambra came first and the head of NAPEP actually corrected the notion of Bayelsa coming before Anambra and proclaimed Anambra number one

Give and take it is

Anambra/Bayelsa
Bayelsa/Anambra
Abia
In the SE, Anambra and Abia residents (indigenes and nonindigenes alike) are easily the most hardworking and less dependent on govt for their individual existence.

=============================================================================
Report rates Jigawa poorest in Nigeria
From Martin Oloja, Abuja
JIGAWA State has been adjudged the poorest in the country. It leads nine other northern states as the poorest in the country.

This was contained in statistics released on Tuesday at a Stakeholders Forum on the Economy where vital figures were released on the Obasanjo Administration Reforms and outcomes covering 1999 to 2004.

The forum, presided over by President Olusegun Obasanjo, had key drivers of the Obasanjo economic reform agenda presenting data on various sectors of the country's economy. One of them was the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, Professor Chukwuma Soludo.

One of the revelations is that Lagos State remains the engine room of the country's economy contributing a whopping 48 per cent of deposit, and 69.96 per cent of total loans in Nigerian banks.

Abuja with heavy government presence in monetary transaction comes a distant second with only 16.86 per cent of deposits and 4.6 per cent of total loans.

According to the 2006 census result, the North leads with a total population of 75,025,166 while the South follows not so closely with 64,978,376 in a result that puts Nigeria's population at 140,003,542.

One of the reports on the economy released to the forum held at the State House Banquet Hall revealed that the Northern part of the country is poorer with Jigawa State on top of the league closely followed by Kebbi State. Others in descending order are Kogi, Bauchi, Kwara, Yobe, Zamfara, Gombe, Sokoto and Adamawa.

In contrast, Bayelsa, with the lowest population figure in the entire South, tops the list of "10 states with the lowest incidence of poverty (Richest States)".

In economic terms, Bayelsa State has the highest per capita income rate in the country followed, interestingly by the politically traumatised Anambra State.

Abia State, comes third, others in this category of "Richest States" are: Oyo, Imo, Rivers, Enugu, Ogun, Osun and Edo.

States not listed by researchers are said to be within the range of mediocrity, neither poor, not rich.

According to the report, which did not blame any governor or any governance factors, even individuals in all the geo-political zones were asked to state how poor they felt they were.

But there is a wide disparity between the verdict of the respondent and the actual incidence of poverty with respondents indicating a higher degree of poverty.

On the state of economic activities in the geo-political zones, the North performs poorly.

All the three zones in the North (excluding FCT), according to the report, have less bank deposit than the South zones.

According to the report: "The poverty status in turn is highly correlated with Adult literacy rates; size of average household; orientation to private sector-led wealth creation as opposed to dependence on government or few people; active intervention of States/Local Governments towards empowerment of the people, etc"

On the performance of the economy, the report claims that "poverty incidence is down from 70 per cent in 1999 to 54 per cent in 2004, but the regions differ, "

In a rider to the report, the researchers indicate that poverty is strongly correlated with size of household and level of education".

But the report is unmistakable in the final analysis that the status of poverty in the polity has been largely enhanced by low productivity in the North.

Google with the title to try and find the link. It was from 2008 and I save this on my system back then.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 6:07am On Oct 05, 2011
http://allafrica.com/stories/201011190437.html

From NAPED, rates Anambra # 1
Nigeria: Anambra Poverty Rate Lowest - NAPEP

Achilleus-Chud Uchegbu

19 November 2010

Email|
Print|
Comment

Share:
on Twitter Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Muti StumbleUpon

National Co-ordinator of National Poverty Eradication Programme (NAPEP), Dr. Magnus Kpakol, has rated Anambra state high as the state with the lowest poverty rate among all the states in the country.

Kpakol, who said this in an exclusive interview with Daily Champion in Abuja, noted that the level of private enterprise in Anambra put the state on the top echelon of the ladder of efforts by states to eradicate poverty.

He said though Bayelsa state is thought to have the lowest poverty rate in the country, statistics have shown that Anambra is actually topping the ladder.

"Statistically, we rank Bayelsa state as having the lowest poverty rate in the country. But in its purest sense, Anambra state has the lowest poverty rate in the country and that is because of the level of private enterprise and commitment to private enterprise there,' he said.

On the need for private enterprise to lead the battle to eradicate poverty in the country, Kpakol said the only way poverty can be eradicated in any society is for greater private sector activity that would create more jobs and allow government the freedom to concentrate on infrastructure development.

He said the private sector holds the key to poverty eradication in the country adding that excessive dependence of government will not help the poverty situation.

He said: "We have to understand that the key to fighting poverty in the country is private enterprise. We must promote private enterprise in the country. I think that the government in Nigeria has been too involved in everything. It is too heavy. That should not be.

"Private enterprise is the key to fighting poverty long term. There has been too much centralization. Excessive centralization and excessive government involvement crowd out ingenuity and private enterprise.

"We need to continue to make it possible for people to be engaged in private enterprise. That's the way to fight poverty. If we do that, we will be able to create jobs and free government to provide infrastructure like roads, electricity and becomes more like a referee. That is basically what government should involve in while private enterprise propels the engine for economic growth and redemption," he said.

Kpakol, who would want more wealthy Nigerians to get involved in the effort to alleviate poverty by creating job opportunities, however frowned at a situation where government is made to fund the purchase of tricycles (Keke) as a poverty alleviation measure.

He said government should not have any business buying and distributing tricycles to Nigerians.

"I do not think government should be buying tricycles for people. I don't think it should be that way. I inherited the programme. I think also that it has done well, but again, I believe that time probably has come when it should be completely privatized."Micro finance banks can buy Keke and sell with support from state governments. I understand state governments subsidize other agricultural inputs. They can also do that with Keke. Honestly, this programme should be owned by the private sector. I do not think the federal government should continue to buy tricycles and distribute to people. I don't think so," he noted.

He however differed with those who are critical of the tricycles as a poverty alleviation measure and its costs stating that critics of Keke should also look at the demand side of it and realize how hotly in demand they are among Nigerians.

"Keke has been useful to the people that have benefited from the programme. When some people think we should not have it, they should also look at the demand side. Peoples demand for Keke is high, both for passenger operations and as profit making business. I am aware that there are some Keke that are selling in the private sector for well over N600, 000 and people are buying them. And they are not from NAPEP," he said.

He frowned at allegation of fund mismanagement at NAPEP noting that the fund has to be available before it could be mismanaged.

He said allegations that funds belonging to NAPEP were misapplied and for which the Senate indicted him, were absolute lies, adding that at no time did the Senate indict him as reported in some dailies.

"Before, they accused me of taking money meant for Keke. you hear someone writing in the newspapers that I gave him a dud cheque and that was why he could not produce the Keke in time. First, I want people to know this. The minister never writes cheques. I do not know the colour of our cheque. I have never seen a NAPEP cheque book. I do not know what it looks like.

"When I came here, we had a permanent secretary and he used to sign cheques. I stopped it. I said it was wrong for someone who checks our accounts to also sign cheques. I stopped it. I don't sign cheques. And then someone goes to town to accuse me of issuing him a dud cheque. I cannot even tell my accountants to write a dud cheque. There is no way he can write a dud cheque because he is a professional and has his integrity to protect.
Relevant Links

West Africa
Nigeria

"So, I even imagine why people even say certain things. I will not even go to the extent of saying such a thing, accusing a minister of giving me a dud cheque for fear of exposing much stupidity. There are things you say and people will see you as stupid. There is no way a government official can issue a dud cheque to its contractors. It beats my imagination how anyone thinks I could issue anybody a dud cheque. I can't do such a thing.

"The same person also accused me of owning a facility which costs N470 million. In some places he said it costs N450 million. So, I don't even know which is correct. However, it is simple to prove. Just show a CAC document showing me or listing anyone related to me, who can be pointed at as my proxy, as a director of the company, as a proof that I own the company," he said.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 6:14am On Oct 05, 2011
The bottom line here is that the SE may not have the Dangotes and Adenugas (few first tiers) of Nigeria
But they have so many 2-tier rich people and even so many more 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th tiers, that it dilutes the overall impact of poverty. Most Igbo villages are as developed as small towns in other parts of Nigeria. If you do not have your own house, you are a nobody. It is competition all the way.

In the SE, everyone is busy doing one thing or another while in the North (especially) and SW, you find people practically doing nothing from morning till night just sitting in front of Adedibu's house (when he was alive) waiting for amala and gbegiri. See example here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-144715.0.html grin grin grin grin grin.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by SouthEast1: 6:23am On Oct 05, 2011
Beaf:

We've beaten poverty by state and region to death on NL enough times, the general stats are like this by ranking (anyone with the strength can go dig them up).

1. SE (with the exception of Ebonyi)
2. SS (with the exception of Bayelsa)
3. SW (Oyo comes tops) / Middle Belt (exception of Niger and Adamawa)
4. Core-North

The above said; its sad to see that this thread finally degenerated into an ethnic squabble.

Largely true except for Bayelsa. I think the fight for resource control actually improved their lives in the last decade. Most work in oil companies even as cleaners earning salaries that other Nigerians with low education will be very envious of. When I was in Port Harcourt, I know of many ND boys working in three different oil servicing companies. What they do is that they rent 2 of the jobs out to mostly job-hungry Igbo boys and then share the salary at the end of the month (70 % to the fake worker and 30 % to the original employee) while they concentrate on one for themselves.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by peckhamboi: 6:57am On Oct 05, 2011
Rank State GDP (PPP$)

1 Lagos State 33,679,258,023

2 Rivers State 21,073,410,422

3 Delta State 16,749,250,544

4 Oyo State 16,121,670,484

5 Imo State 14,212,637,486

6 Kano State 12,393,103,864

7 Edo State 11,888,446,884

8 Akwa Ibom State 11,179,887,963

9 Ogun State 10,470,415,017

10 Kaduna State 10,334,763,785

11 Cross River State 9,292,059,207

12 Abia State 8,687,442,705

13 Ondo State 8,414,302,623

14 Osun State 7,280,597,521

15 Benue State 6,864,209,262

16 Anambra State 6,764,219,562

17 Katsina State 6,022,655,197

18 Niger State 6,002,007,080

19 Borno State 5,175,165,142

20 Plateau State 5,154,059,937

21 Sokoto State 4,818,615,261

22 Bauchi State 4,713,858,180

23 Kogi State 4,642,794,262

24 Adamawa State 4,582,045,246

25 Enugu State 4,396,590,769

26 Bayelsa State 4,337,065,923

27 Zamfara State 4,123,829,498

28 Kwara State 3,841,827,534

29 Taraba State 3,397,790,217

30 Kebbi State 3,290,847,166

31 Nassarawa State 3,022,828,885

32 Jigawa State 2,988,014,405

33 Ekiti State 2,848,372,512

34 Ebonyi State 2,732,472,739

35 Gombe State 2,500,467,306

36 Yobe State 2,011,499,081

- Federal Capital Territory 5,010,968,012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP

South West Total: 78,814,616,180

South East Total: 36,793,363,261

South South Total: 74,520,120,943

NB: The South east economy is less than half of the South West's and South South's. If South West is poor then the South East is a latrine.
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by EkoIle1: 7:05am On Oct 05, 2011
peckhamboi:

Rank State GDP (PPP$)

1 Lagos State 33,679,258,023

2 Rivers State 21,073,410,422

3 Delta State 16,749,250,544

4 Oyo State 16,121,670,484

5 Imo State 14,212,637,486

6 Kano State 12,393,103,864

7 Edo State 11,888,446,884

8 Akwa Ibom State 11,179,887,963

9 Ogun State 10,470,415,017

10 Kaduna State 10,334,763,785

11 Cross River State 9,292,059,207

12 Abia State 8,687,442,705

13 Ondo State 8,414,302,623

14 Osun State 7,280,597,521

15 Benue State 6,864,209,262

16 Anambra State 6,764,219,562

17 Katsina State 6,022,655,197

18 Niger State 6,002,007,080

19 Borno State 5,175,165,142

20 Plateau State 5,154,059,937

21 Sokoto State 4,818,615,261

22 Bauchi State 4,713,858,180

23 Kogi State 4,642,794,262

24 Adamawa State 4,582,045,246

25 Enugu State 4,396,590,769

26 Bayelsa State 4,337,065,923

27 Zamfara State 4,123,829,498

28 Kwara State 3,841,827,534

29 Taraba State 3,397,790,217

30 Kebbi State 3,290,847,166

31 Nassarawa State 3,022,828,885

32 Jigawa State 2,988,014,405

33 Ekiti State 2,848,372,512

34 Ebonyi State 2,732,472,739

35 Gombe State 2,500,467,306

36 Yobe State 2,011,499,081

- Federal Capital Territory 5,010,968,012

South West Total: 78,814,616,180

South East Total: 36,793,363,261

South South Total: 74,520,120,943

NB: The South east economy is less than half of the South West's and South South's. If South West is poor then the South East is a latrine.

That cracked me up.

Sometimes I wonder about these ibo people, I don't know if there problem is the usual low self esteem and insecurity or grand delusions, either way, they love to walk on their brains.

How do you even parade around with rubbish that's clearly opposite know realities? This South-East character stupid no be small,
Re: Name This City And Win 100 USD by Beaf: 7:08am On Oct 05, 2011
peckhamboi:

Rank   State   GDP (PPP$)

1   Lagos State   33,679,258,023

2   Rivers State   21,073,410,422

3   Delta State   16,749,250,544

4   Oyo State           16,121,670,484

5   Imo State           14,212,637,486

6   Kano State   12,393,103,864

7   Edo State            11,888,446,884

8   Akwa Ibom State   11,179,887,963

9   Ogun State   10,470,415,017

10   Kaduna State   10,334,763,785

11   Cross River State   9,292,059,207

12   Abia State   8,687,442,705

13   Ondo State   8,414,302,623

14   Osun State   7,280,597,521

15   Benue State   6,864,209,262

16   Anambra State   6,764,219,562

17   Katsina State   6,022,655,197

18   Niger State   6,002,007,080

19   Borno State   5,175,165,142

20   Plateau State   5,154,059,937

21   Sokoto State   4,818,615,261

22   Bauchi State   4,713,858,180

23   Kogi State   4,642,794,262

24   Adamawa State   4,582,045,246

25   Enugu State   4,396,590,769

26   Bayelsa State   4,337,065,923

27   Zamfara State   4,123,829,498

28   Kwara State   3,841,827,534

29   Taraba State   3,397,790,217

30   Kebbi State   3,290,847,166

31   Nassarawa State   3,022,828,885

32   Jigawa State   2,988,014,405

33   Ekiti State   2,848,372,512

34   Ebonyi State   2,732,472,739

35   Gombe State   2,500,467,306

36   Yobe State   2,011,499,081

-   Federal Capital Territory   5,010,968,012

South West    Total:   78,814,616,180

South East     Total:   36,793,363,261

South South  Total:   74,520,120,943

Dude, you cannot total GDP (PPP) like that, your post violates the meaning of that index in shocking ways and is absolutely nonsensical.
With GDP (PPP) you will need to take an average, or even better, divide by the local population and then the highest figure wins. Even then, it is not a measure of poverty, but of money generated per person in private business and enterprise (in layman's terms).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Para-military Board Suspends 14 Prisons Officers Over Jail Break / To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly / The Kind Of Leadership Nigerians Desire (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.