Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,081 members, 7,828,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering (75287 Views)

6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' / Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by HaneefahRN(f): 9:12pm On Jul 06, 2023
You wish

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Coolcube: 9:42pm On Jul 06, 2023
The reality is that such complaints about the UK being hard are from students who have restricted hours to work and have tuition to pay. AND they are new in the system. With time, things get better when they reskill/get certified, start a career and adjust into the system

A scenario of a couple, both working the normal 40 hours per week (even on the livng wage £10.5-13 per hour) will have a take home of about £3,000 outside of London. Thats working blue collar. If they have no or one child, they can conveniently save about £400 pounds every month, as schooling is largely free for kids. Thats about N400,000 per month. Yeah, I understand that some people can save more than this is Naija, such people need not come to the UK to live. However, if you are not yet at that cadre where at the barest minimun even when you and your partner work full time you can save 150k per month, then let no one tell you UK is not good!

Once a person starts a good career here in the UK (after schooling or getting certfied), he/she WILL BALL for life, provided sense dey and the NRC no get hand for im matter! At least certain things like housing are sure without much stress or system working against you. A Naija guy in his 40s here just bought a 5 bed room house from a Development Group where I work at £349,000. Sure, it is mortage, and he will pay over a period. The Naija blood in me even felt that was too much, but he is a big guy in corprate world here and come to think of it, if he sells the house in another 20 years to say he is retiring home, he would have nothing less than half a billion in naira to himself, if not more! Working class Nigerians are also starting businesses here...consulting and making cool cash.

Summary: people can do well or otherwise in Nigeria. And people can do well or otherwise in the UK. My take: the odds of doing well in a Tier 1 or 2 country are higher than in Nigeria. All one needs is a plan. Don't come into the UK with the Naija boss mentality of "I have 2 maids and three cars, so I cant adjust." Get certified in a profession or re-skill into something more valuable in the new enviroment and dont get stuck on shitty jobs because they pay the bill and you can send some money home to build a house. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Anywhere we dey, may God make a way for us.

God bless Naija my country!
God save the King and keep the UK!

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by pansophist(m): 9:53pm On Jul 06, 2023
Raalsalghul:

Honestly, I don't think the U.K is all that but I have friends in other countries and the same challenges in the U.K is what they face over there too that is why I am fishing for specifics to know how these other countries are better than the U.K.

If you get an admission to study a four year bachelor program in Finland, you can apply for Finnish citizenship after completing your degree.

Your study years as a student counts towards citizenship, and accommodation are cheap. A student family apartment in Helsinki for example is less than 700euros. If you're single, then around 300euros per month.

It's cheaper in other cities. Foods and transportation are cheap, and even international student gets fifty percent discount.

There are lots of works to do, that you'll be so picky. Tuition fees are cheaper, and some schools still offer free tuition education. Also, it's a Schengen country, so travelling the whole EU is an advantage.

The UK doesn't offer any of this. Even if you became a British citizen, you can only live in the UK, since the UK left the EU. Finnish citizenship is very strong.

If you have to choose between this and UK, which will you go for?

9 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by xperiencelove(m): 9:53pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
UK Japa is not what most people that have travelled to UK were expecting.

Living in the UK is not easy this days and the most annoying part of it is their level of racism. Within 2015 and 2018, a day hardly go by without a news from their local stations that a man is being injured, shot or killed and you will realized a black man is the victim.

Germany and present Poland is even worse in racism.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by kay29000(m): 10:14pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
most of them thought it was going to be a safe heaven but the reverse is now the case.The hardest hit are the ones that sold their houses and left their well paying job to Japa and be doing security job in UK.You see them complaining in the night security job that I was once a bank manager see what I am doing now.

Whoa! From bank manager to security guard.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by erico2k2(m): 10:17pm On Jul 06, 2023
KingKO22:
No place like home

See them aha, At home can U jump i n your car at 1Am and drive from Anambra to Lagos?
but you can do so from Southampton to Scotland!
The word is, where your pepper rest is your home

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 10:19pm On Jul 06, 2023
Coolcube:
The reality is that such complaints about the UK being hard are from students who have restricted hours to work and have tuition to pay. AND they are new in the system. With time, things get better when they reskill/get certified, start a career and adjust into the system

Summary: people can do well or otherwise in Nigeria. And people can do well or otherwise in the UK. My take: the odds of doing well in a Tier 1 or 2 country are higher than in Nigeria.

All one needs is a plan. Don't come into the UK with the Naija boss mentality of "I have 2 maids and three cars, so I cant adjust." Get certified in a profession or re-skill into something more valuable in the new enviroment and dont get stuck on shitty jobs because they pay the bill and you can send some money home to build a house. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good summary and that's the truth.

God will NOT save Nigeria and God didn't save the UK. Every people get the country they deserve.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by kay29000(m): 10:19pm On Jul 06, 2023
adecz:

You earn comparatively better income
there, but you spend all the income on taxes,
tariffs and the comparatively higher cost
of living there...

Stalemate❗️❗️❗️

A friend in the UK needed her car checked.
She had to book an appointment with
her mechanic and paid a fee ( consultancy?)
of £150 ( roughly N150k).

On the appointed date, she went with
the car and after the maintenance, she
was charged £200 workmanship, making total of £350 or N450k ❗️❗️❗️😮😮😮

Almost half million for some basic check
and probably change of oil & filters, something
that will cost less than N30k in Nigeria.

Lol! My brother is always complaining about the high cost mechanics charge over there... If there is anything he misses about Naija is how easy and low cost it is to fix your car, compared to how it is in America.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by erico2k2(m): 10:20pm On Jul 06, 2023
kay29000:

Whoa! From bank manager to security guard.
Bross E be like say you nor know say as at today 1pound is now 1k Niara. Best time to ever come UK come hustle

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by erico2k2(m): 10:21pm On Jul 06, 2023
kay29000:

Lol! My brother is always complaining about the high cost mechanics charge over there... If there is anything he misses about Naija is how easy and low cost it is to fix your car, compared to how it is in America.
him nah lazt yute haha He needs to get into the habit of DIY, the western society is designed in a way that whatever job you do, you must be able to buy a house and live at least average
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by kay29000(m): 10:23pm On Jul 06, 2023
Reflect7:

Don't mind him. Look, I always tell Nigerians who have money to Japa, to use that money and start a business in Nigeria.

Because it will only hit you when you are in that London, working in one useless odd job like security, where one small girl that is maybe a secretary will be talking to you anyhow. Looking down on you. Seeing you as the lowest of the low in society.

You will look at yourself and say ''bro..was this really worth it? Look at a whole me taking insult from this small girl when I could have been an EMPLOYER in my country? Or could have become a senior banker?''

Because after a month or two in the UK, all those things that you admired like constant light, good roads, etc, will be no big deal to you.

You will even miss your generator in Naija.

At least when you come out to start gen, you will see people outside that you can chat with for some time before heading back in. Or a small boy that you can send to buy you akara or beer down the road.

In UK nothing like that. You are on your own.

No house-help o.

Even your wife go send you make you go wash plate.

Lol cheesy grin grin

This your comment really made me laugh grin
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by SaintUlot: 10:27pm On Jul 06, 2023
Don't let anybody deceive you not to japa o,

A friend who sold all his properties and japa to UK on a student visa with his wife and four kids, just in two years of being in the UK with student Visa, he now has two four star hotels in lekki and five duplexes in ajah and lekki areas of Lagos generating rental income for him steadily. Just in two years ooo, this is someone who borrowed money to travel after selling all his properties and he couldn't raise enough fund at the time.

If he can achieve all that just in two years, now imagine what he would have achieve in four years.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by jimcaddy(m): 11:54pm On Jul 06, 2023
Nigeria has the potential to be a great nation. However, Nigerians are the ones who don't want this country to be good. We are selfish, greedy, wicked. We will prefer we step on others to rise to the top. Other people's sufferings are some people's joy. The problem with Nigeria is not our leaders, but we ourselves as a people. We don't like ourselves. You carry money go UK to do Masters because you want to collect paper. Is it that bad? Nigeria is not the worst country in the world o. Other countries have it rougher than us, yet their citizens don't run up and down like the way we do. Until Nigerians change our attitudinal issues, Nigeria will never be a great nation.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by adecz: 12:06am On Jul 07, 2023
Tadadobe:

Which 30k, 😀my dads mechanic will take 3500 for all these things and still thank him for doing him well

My estimate is that, if it's an above
average sized car, it may require 1½ gallons
of engine oil at about 13k, Oil filter at 5k before other small things & workmanship.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by adecz: 12:13am On Jul 07, 2023
kay29000:

That's why we import a lot of accidented
cars from the US.

A badly accidented car that a Nigerian
panel beater may accept 50k as workmanship,
an American panel beater may take
nothing less than $3000, about N2m, since
they charge you per hour of work on
the car. As such, such cars are written off
by insurance companies and auctioned off.

But since dem born Africans with suffer head,
we go import am come give Lasisi panel
beater to work on it for 2 months, @ 50k❗️❗️😁😁

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by LesTech: 12:30am On Jul 07, 2023
I know few guys that are into that shiit, trust me, that shiit hurts a lot. they're regretting why they made such stupid decision.
I feel so sorry for them, not what they envisaged tho.

guobe:
most of them thought it was going to be a safe heaven but the reverse is now the case.The hardest hit are the ones that sold their houses and left their well paying job to Japa and be doing security job in UK.You see them complaining in the night security job that I was once a bank manager see what I am doing now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 12:32am On Jul 07, 2023
teewhydope:

Dude grow up!!! You talk too much and really need help. I'm not here to discuss politics with you, so miss me with that "Carry go jor! Welcome to Next Level!" shit. I won't dispute the fact that there's a lot wrong with the country, but the people i relate with are mostly into tech and we are doing just okay. You sounded dumb when you quoted $30k to $70k, are we spending $$ in Nigeria? If the money is so easy to make over there, why do they have many homeless?? undecided Not everyone is frustrated like you think

Simple reading and comprehension. The $30K to $70K salary is the MONTHLY pay for many drilling engineers right there in Nigeria. And that's not hearsay, because I've seen the paychecks with my own two eyes. Reread the post and get the gist of the issue which is this - how many people earn like that in Nigeria? To say, it's unjustified to use such high earners as examples of Nigerian success.

The more important question should be - how many in Nigeria can afford to live at a world recognized & reasonable middle class standard?
I've lived in Nigeria and I can tell you it's not up to 1% of the population.

I've figured out by means I will not disclose, that most of the anti-migration crew on this forum live in Nigeria and have NEVER travelled out of the country. But just start by going over their posting history. It's an eye opener. It's hard to tell LIES consistently.

If you're living well in Nigeria, good for you. Ex-President Buhari, President Tinubu, Peter Obi and Abubakar Atiku and their families seem to PREFER the US & UK so I'll follow their lead. At least I know who they are.

Good Luck !

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by VisaInfoNL: 12:38am On Jul 07, 2023
004gist:

remove China off the list..

The rest countries u mentioned are great but before they give u visa be ready to have 60,000$ at your disposal. that is if u are going as a student on MSc. that's 45 million naira.

But UK on the other side cheaper school as low as 10,000 pounds with u paying just as low as 2k pounds and a proof of funds setting in ur account for just 28 days less than a month.

Australia for example requires 3 to 6 months pof

Are you serious about 10k pounds schools?
And 2k deposit?

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by 004gist: 1:23am On Jul 07, 2023
VisaInfoNL:

Are you serious about 10k pounds schools?
And 2k deposit?

I made an illustration.

and yes there is a 10k pounds school right now but their deposit is 5400.
there are few 13k right now their deposit is 6000..

most of these schools deposit were only increased this year due to the inability of students to pay their fees on time and also the influx of students....

like my school last year it was 2k deposit but this year it is 4k.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:34am On Jul 07, 2023
pansophist:
Choose your poison guys.

Either go to other countries where you may spend a year learning the language and integrate, but your life will be easy from then onwards. Or enter the UK because of English, then suffer permanently.
I respect you for this statement, na update wey some people no know.u legit
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by fredylee: 2:30am On Jul 07, 2023
adecz:

You earn comparatively better income
there, but you spend all the income on taxes,
tariffs and the comparatively higher cost
of living there...

Stalemate❗️❗️❗️

A friend in the UK needed her car checked.
She had to book an appointment with
her mechanic and paid a fee ( consultancy?)
of £150 ( roughly N150k).

On the appointed date, she went with
the car and after the maintenance, she
was charged £200 workmanship, making total of £350 or N450k ❗️❗️❗️😮😮😮

Almost half million for some basic check
and probably change of oil & filters, something
that will cost less than N30k in Nigeria.

Did you ask how much your friend earns comparatively? Your analysis is not adding up. What is consultancy in car maintenance, asides "workmanship" charges that you mentioned? Tell me another story.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:40am On Jul 07, 2023
LesTech:

I know few guys that are into that shiit, trust me, that shiit hurts a lot. they're regretting why they made such stupid decision.
I feel so sorry for them, not what they envisaged tho.

The sole cause are Nigerians abroad. I will put a little blame on Nigerians also.

I support Japa when you have absolutely nothing to hold-on to or lose. Just like you said, I have seen people in similar shoes and it hurts my soul.

Some class of people were doing far better in Nigeria, but bought into the news of relocation which was falsified by friend and relatives.

When you tell Nigerians the truth, they will tell you to come back to Nigeria, so the best is to lie to them that all is so beautiful.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 2:59am On Jul 07, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

The sole cause are Nigerians abroad. I will put a little blame on Nigerians also.

I support Japa when you have absolutely nothing to hold-on to lose or hold on to. Just like you said, I have seen people in similar shoes and it hurts my soul.

Some class of people were doing far better in Nigeria, but bought into the news of relocation which was falsified by friend and relatives.

When you tell Nigerians the truth, they will tell you to come back to Nigeria, so the best is to lie to them that all is so beautiful.

Dude, nobody discussing this issue has ever claimed that ANY country is all beautiful. Let's reason this - many rich and connected Nigerians like President Tinubu, Ex-President OBJ and Buhari, AA Atiku, Peter Obi, DY Danjuma...they all live abroad. They're not desperate, they have a lot to hold onto.

President Buhari in particular in 1984 gave very popular speeches encouraging Nigerians NOT to migrate abroad, while all of HIS family were safely and comfortably living in Spain and UK and they remained there for basically all their lives.

I attended a Federal Government College in Nigeria. Many of my classmates were from high powered families in business, banking and politics. Children of Supreme Court Justices, Special Advisers to Presidents, CBN Governors, military state governors and so on. Most of them now live abroad. Are you telling me that the scions of such families don't understand Nigeria well enough to thrive there? I met the son of the CBN governor and he told me both him and his father now live in the USA. There's a doctor I met by chance in Virginia, her father or grandfather was a former Minister of Defense, I eventually got to see that ALL her siblings live in the USA. Do you know Nigeria better than them?

I've told readers to go look back at JAPA threads from 2003, 2008, 2013 and such. Anyone that had many millions of naira saved or invested in property, the value has probably lost 40 to 50% or more.

Good Luck with all that!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 3:09am On Jul 07, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Dude, nobody discussing this issue has ever claimed that ANY country is all beautiful. But let's reason this - many rich and connected Nigerians like President Tinubu, Ex-President OBJ and Buhari, AA Atiku, Peter Obi, DY Danjuma...they all live abroad. They're not desperate, they have a lot to hold onto.

I attended a Federal Government College in Nigeria. Many of my classmates were from high powered families in business, banking and politics. Children of Supreme Court Justices, Special Advisers to Presidents, CBN Governors, military state governors and so on. Most of them now live abroad. Are you telling me that the scions of such families don't understand Nigeria well enough to thrive there? I met the son of the CBN governor and he told me both him and his father now live in the USA. Do you know Nigeria better than them? There's a doctor I met by chance in Virginia, her father or grandfather was a former Minister of Defense, I eventually got to see that ALL her siblings live in the USA.

Good Luck !

If you read my earlier statement, you will find answers to your question. The people you listed have nothing to lose. Do you have an idea how much wealth exist in the family?

I am not talking of those class of people. I am talking about the average Nigerian who had already walked up the ladder in Nigeria, only to be sold fiction and acted upon it.

Some people just fail to realize that Japa is not worth it at their level, and where it hurts the most is when they start disposing assets that took them years to own, for a trip that their faith is unknown.

The truth is that, a class of Nigerian always fail to realize that they are doing better in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 3:20am On Jul 07, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

If you read my earlier statement, you will find answers to your question. The people you listed have nothing to lose. Do you have an idea how much wealth exist in the family?

I am not talking of those class of people. I am talking about the average Nigerian who had already walked up the ladder in Nigeria, only to be sold fiction and acted upon it.

The truth is that, a class of Nigerian always fail to realize that they are doing better in Nigeria.

Do you know people in the oil & gas industry in Nigeria? I lived in and maintained a home in Houston around 2013 to 2015. For whatever reason around that time...well, it was because the price of crude oil crashed and many feared for their futures..... many Nigerian engineers who came for training FROM Nigeria would refuse to go back. Some of them even lost the jobs but PREFERRED TO stay in the USA. These were people making ₦‎500K to ₦‎1million per month. These are exactly the kinds of people you're referring to, right?

Well that's almost a decade ago and from what I see, they're not regretting it. Think about it...has Nigeria gotten much better or much worse since 2013 or 2015? What do you think? Even the vaunted oil & gas in Nigeria has lost a lot of jobs, the sector is stagnating because many foreign companies pulled out. I know this because I know many people in that industry.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 3:33am On Jul 07, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Do you know people in the oil & gas industry in Nigeria? I lived in and maintained a home in Houston around 2013 to 2015. For whatever reason around that time...well, it was because the price of crude oil crashed and many feared for their futures..... many Nigerian engineers who came for training FROM Nigeria would refuse to go back. Some of them even lost the jobs but PREFERRED TO stay in the USA. These were people making ₦‎500K to ₦‎1million per month. These are exactly the kinds of people you're referring to, right?

Well that's almost a decade ago and from what I see, they're not regretting it. Think about it...has Nigeria gotten much better or much worse since 2013 or 2015? What do you think? Even the vaunted oil & gas in Nigeria has lost a lot of jobs, the sector is stagnating because many foreign companies pulled out. I know this because I know many people in that industry.

Good Luck to Nigeria.

Those are the class of people I am talking about. Imagine having a job of 500k and a roof over your head, only to opt for illegal immigration. Did you follow their journey after staying back? They start selling off assets to maintain status and paying immigration lawyers. Did you ask what kept them busy after wards? They start working in factories with the lowest class of people.

Yes! Few make it out successful. But when you consider the numbers of successful ones to those that lost it, you will realize the risk at that stage is not worth.

Some people do mention for the children? Is education cheap in a place like the USA? How many families can afford to pay off the tuition fees of their kids?

I will reinstate again, Japa is not worth it for some class of people. The social media pictures and lies fooled them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by yeldey: 3:37am On Jul 07, 2023
Coolcube:

A scenario of a couple, both working the normal 40 hours per week (even on the livng wage £10.5-13 per hour) will have a take home of about £3,000 outside of London. Thats working blue collar. If they have no or one child, they can conveniently save about £400 pounds every month, as schooling is largely free for kids. Thats about N400,000 per month. Yeah, I understand that some people can save more than this is Naija, such people need not come to the UK to live. However, if you are not yet at that cadre where at the barest minimun even when you and your partner work full time you can save 150k per month, then let no one tell you UK is not good!

Once a person starts a good career here in the UK (after schooling or getting certfied), he/she WILL BALL for life, provided sense dey and the NRC no get hand for im matter! At least certain things like housing are sure without much stress or system working against you. A Naija guy in his 40s here just bought a 5 bed room house from a Development Group where I work at £349,000. Sure, it is mortage, and he will pay over a period. The Naija blood in me even felt that was too much, but he is a big guy in corprate world here and come to think of it, if he sells the house in another 20 years to say he is retiring home, he would have nothing less than half a billion in naira to himself, if not more! Working class Nigerians are also starting businesses here...consulting and making cool cash.

Summary: people can do well or otherwise in Nigeria. And people can do well or otherwise in the UK. My take: the odds of doing well in a Tier 1 or 2 country are higher than in Nigeria. All one needs is a plan. Don't come into the UK with the Naija boss mentality of "I have 2 maids and three cars, so I cant adjust." Get certified in a profession or re-skill into something more valuable in the new enviroment and dont get stuck on shitty jobs because they pay the bill and you can send some money home to build a house. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you for this comment.

That's is exactly my plan when returning back to Naija as a multi millionaire after selling my house in Canada.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by haybhi1(m): 3:43am On Jul 07, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Neither do you need any immediately transferable skills or any skills at all. I've written at length on this subject too. In the USA today, many Nigerians who arrived without immigrant visas or any skills have found good lower level jobs where they can start their journey to the middle class. I've seen this happen over and over for MANY NIGERIANS in a period of over 30 years.

I write from experience. Being that the UK & US are essentially the same country, I'm sure it can't be much different over there in the UK. One other thing - conditions tend to get BETTER over time in Anglo-West nations, while they generally stagnate or get worse in Africa. That's the truth, just do a review of JAPA threads on this forum since 2007, 2003 and compare to now.

99.9% of Nigerians, rich or poor, will live better lives in the Anglo-West and would be best advised to migrate IF THEY CAN GET THE CHANCE.

Good Luck to Nigerians.

Hi, can you give a hint on those who arrive on vague or no immigration visa? Thank you
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 4:25am On Jul 07, 2023
haybhi1:

Hi, can you give a hint on those who arrive on vague or no immigration visa? Thank you

You can look through my comment record. I address it at length. Not on HOW to get to the USA, but what others with no skills have done to earn a good living upon arrival. Not only is it simple stuff, I've seen people do it for DECADES and make a good life for themselves, better than they would likely have in Nigeria.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 4:46am On Jul 07, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Those are the class of people I am talking about. Imagine having a job of 500k and a roof over your head, only to opt for illegal immigration. Did you follow their journey after staying back? They start selling off assets to maintain status and paying immigration lawyers. Did you ask what kept them busy after wards? They start working in factories with the lowest class of people.

Yes! Few make it out successful. But when you consider the numbers of successful ones to those that lost it, you will realize the risk at that stage is not worth.

Some people do mention for the children? Is education cheap in a place like the USA? How many families can afford to pay off the tuition fees of their kids?

I will reinstate again, Japa is not worth it for some class of people. The social media pictures and lies fooled them.

Please what is 500K biko? As in 500,000 NAIRA, right? Don't make me laugh. That's what, $1K? grin Oga be serious, haba!!!

I've followed the progress of some of them. One of them, a couple actually, went to Canada, got oil & gas jobs there and are doing just fine. They eventually returned to the USA legally as Canadian citizens and are still in the industry.

Another guy actually went broke and basically homeless for a while. Then they did the easiest thing to make your stay in America much more stable - they had a baby, an AUTOMATIC CITIZEN. Look up the term ANCHOR BABY. They actually went on welfare, got government provided housing and the wife went to nursing school FOR FREE, the guy I sincerely don't know what job he's into now. A nurse I'm sure can comfortably afford to send $1K to Nigeria every few months.

By the way in the USA state of Massachussets, ILLEGAL immigrants who have babies get so much money you wonder why ANYONE would choose to work at all. If you doubt me, research the topic on the internet. I know a Nigerian illegal immigrant couple with kids that collects over $3K in benefits every month. And it's your guess if they work on the side for cash....what do you think? The major risk to this scenario is actually DIVORCE, but for a couple that are dedicated to each other? Ol' boy the SKY is the limit.

I hate to sound crass, but seriously, even ₦‎1million naira a month is shitty compared to what a penniless immigrant can make in the USA after being here 3 to 5 years. I mean, go down ANY major street in urban areas and McDonalds is hiring at minimum of $11 per hour...or you can go to Indian hoteliers that will hire illegals AND house you in the hotel too.

Nobody is chasing after immigrants in the USA. To be blunt, the government doesn't care!!! The least of us here live better than anyone making 500K in Nigeria....500K My mother got to this country at age 55yrs and did better than that within a year!!!

Call me whatever you like, I've said my piece. I'll end with an important question. Think about it...has Nigeria gotten much better or much worse since 2013 or 2015? What do you think?

Cheers!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Rinoxy: 4:59am On Jul 07, 2023
guobe:
If you have made up your mind to travel out just note that nobody is stopping you and that nowhere is a safe heaven.
SAFE HAVEN*
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by VisaInfoNL: 5:02am On Jul 07, 2023
IbeOkehie:

How many? What percentage of your university classmates have jobs or businesses that afford them the world recognized middle class standard of living?

I've said this over and over, I've seen paychecks for oil & gas field engineers in Nigeria....monthly paychecks from $30K up to $70K. These are people who live in Nigeria making $500K to $1million per year, a couple of them I know own homes in London and Switzerland and they've always lived in Nigeria. So I'm not going to EVER tell you that there's no Nigerians living well in Nigeria.

The more relevant issue is HOW MANY Nigerians live at a globally recognized & reasonable middle class standard? Can you PLEASE give us a guess? It's not about YOU and ME, it's about the GENERAL state of things.

I've written here about the fabulous pay of oil & gas field engineers in Nigeria. Now let me tell you some more stunning stats. Mighty Chevron Nigeria employs only 600 permanent staff in Nigeria. That's it, EVERYONE else working at Chevron is contract or temp staff. And the TOTAL employee count in the ENTIRE oil & gas sector in Nigeria is 65,000 people. That's it. Do the math and you find the mighty, well paying oil & gas industry that so many Nigerians salivate over, employs less than 0.01% of the Nigerian workforce of 80 million adults. So does it make sense to you to use those employed in that sector as a proxy for the overall wellbeing of the Nigerian populace?

The stats are clear -

Less than 0.4% of Nigerians earn over ₦200K per month,
less than 7% of households have flush toilets,
no single Nigerian has LEGAL OWNERSHIP of any lands.
99% of bank accounts contain less than ₦500K,
unemployment is over 30%,
interest rates are over 25%
and on and on and on.

Middle class standard of living -

Access to clean, potable water supply - how many Nigerians have it?
own a car or have access to clean efficient public transport - how many Nigerians have it?
Access to stable electricity supply - how many Nigerians have it?

The biggest university system in Nigeria shut down for almost one year, there's people queueing for petrol in the 6th largest exporter of crude oil? A country full of business geniuses that can't even refine their God-given crude oil?

Look, I have friends that have been restaurant cooks, taxi drivers and care workers for over 30 years, they did no other kind of work and they own homes, ALL their teenage children drive their own cars and some of the kids have gone on to own their own homes at age 25, 26. How many taxi drivers or cooks can do that in Nigeria?

Abeg carry that nonsense commot here. Nairaland, the home of Nigerian REMOTE WORKERS and billionaires, non of whom can give us their real name or job. We know, Nigeria favors you and your family....leave those in the UK to suffer in peace.

Carry go jor! Welcome to Next Level!

No Nigerian has legal ownership of properties?
Why do you say so?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Dilapidated Nature Of Oyebanjo Street, Ketu Lagos That Swallowed Two Kids / Pictures Of An Open Market In The United States / Lady Killed By A Hit And Run Driver In Sapele, Delta. Do You Know Her? (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.