Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,379 members, 7,812,108 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering (75054 Views)

6 Strong Reasons Why Nigerians In The UK Are So 'stingy' / Thread For Nigerians In Other African Countries / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Psammmy(m): 1:31pm On Jul 06, 2023
I think I should comment this time. Only a fool travels abroad and expect to find money or success on the street especially if you are not from the one percent (wealthy people) in Nigeria.

Japa or what you call it, means extra work for atleas the first 3years, I mean die hard work, but you will be fine in the long run, wether you clean toilet, work in macdonalds etc at first.
If you are a real Nigerian with our long foresight and natural ability to dream big and develop one self..
First three years entails fighting for resident permit, work work work, settling down, living in a small rental single or shared room etc, but you will be fine in the long run and very comfortable if you bear these initial hurdles and hard times
We survive and succeed even in non English speaking countries, stop trying to paint the situations bad for those abroad, some of us with nothing background or privileged parents, today own properties and investment both in Nigeria and abroad something some of our mates back home in Nigeria can only dream of.

You travel 1-3 years and just want the very good life overnight immediately or, alternatively start discouraging others from travelling... Bottom line, stfu, bend down and work..
Most successful people in lagos today once live under bridge..

quote author=guobe post=123975356]UK Japa is not what most people that have travelled to UK were expecting.

Things are really tough for most Nigerians in UK. Some of them that passed through the student route have to cough out several millions of naira to pay the school fees and will have to work extra hard to achieve this. You see them crying in the night that God please help me through.

Most goods and services have gone up times 5 in UK and with the recent increase in the interest rate over there it seems there won't be a breather yet.

On the flip side most Nigerians that migrated are doing it for their kids future and we hope things get better with time.[/quote]

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Princewill1(m): 1:33pm On Jul 06, 2023
Pride made UK to leave EU.

Now Brexit coupled with the global energy crisis caused by the war in Ukraine has really crippled UK's economy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by RaptorX: 1:34pm On Jul 06, 2023
I will never understand why someone with a very good source of income in Nigeria will throw it all away and sell their properties to go live in the UK lol, this same UK we travel for vacation back in uni days long time ago when it was still averagely ok. This oyinbos have done a good job on the African mentality.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Gamalielsmind(m): 1:36pm On Jul 06, 2023
udede:
There is something I may never understand about you guys that travel for greener pastures abroad , this is because with $1000 i can easily make $100 daily here in Nigeria

Doing what exactly ?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Kennydoc(m): 1:36pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
UK Japa is not what most people that have travelled to UK were expecting.

Things are really tough for most Nigerians in UK. Some of them that passed through the student route have to cough out several millions of naira to pay the school fees and will have to work extra hard to achieve this. You see them crying in the night that God please help me through.

Most goods and services have gone up times 5 in UK and with the recent increase in the interest rate over there it seems there won't be a breather yet.

On the flip side most Nigerians that migrated are doing it for their kids future and we hope things get better with time.

Some of you keep exaggerating things. Can you give one example of an item or service which price has gone up 5 times? Just one!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Smartguyboy(m): 1:37pm On Jul 06, 2023
IbeOkehie:

Those ones are all penniless & homeless, they don't even have enough money to buy plane ticket to return to Nigeria.

grin grin grin

But....it is well!

With 33% unemployment, how many Nigerian graduates even have a paycheck? [/b]And as for bills, well methinks the time of CHEAP government subsidized living without bills is slowly coming to an end in Nigeria. Loans for University, electricity tariffs increasing, fuel prices doubled with no rise in salary. [b]And nobody is protesting or rioting, I guess everyone has learned the lessons of Occupy Nigeria in Jan 2012.

But....it is well. It will favor me and my family. grin grin grin

Good Luck to Nigeria!!!
Kind of the same though
Working your a$$ out and nothing to show for it.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Raalsalghul: 1:48pm On Jul 06, 2023
pansophist:
Choose your poison guys.

Either go to other countries where you may spend a year learning the language and integrate, but your life will be easy from then onwards. Or enter the UK because of English, then suffer permanently.

So you opine most immigrants in the U.K are suffering?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by gtassure: 1:49pm On Jul 06, 2023
udede:
There is something I may never understand about you guys that travel for greener pastures abroad , this is because with $1000 i can easily make $100 daily here in Nigeria
Really! How?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by RaptorX: 1:50pm On Jul 06, 2023
sukkot:
brotherly, as humans what we consider as suffering is not static. It changes over time with different circumstances. Right now living in naija suffering to you is no light and bad roads and no jobs and bad infrastructure. You want to japa to enjoy those things. After you japa, after a few years your idea of suffering changes to water bills, light bills, council tax, heavy taxation, bad weather, tiny apartment, crazy car insurance price, racism, not feeling like you belong, inability to save anything because of heavy billing etc etc. Then you stArt missing the simplicity of home with no bills. You generate your own water and light and houSe is paid for and no council tax, and buka food everywhere and everybody looks like you and you feel like you belong etc etc. All the things you used to complain about seem like no big deal anymore aka bad roads and light issue. You are missing home but now you are stuck in London forever because you can never eArn enough to relocate back home again because of heavy billing unless you are just one of the lucky few who is like an IT guru earning good money. And so depression sets in . That's the life of the average Londoner . Stuck. Can't move back and can't move forward .
God honest truth, what my guy just said.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Regex: 1:51pm On Jul 06, 2023
Raalsalghul:

Not really. From what I understand from his write up, usually in non English speaking countries, the only hurdle is just the language. Whereas places like UK, Australia and USA, there are lots of hurdles to naturalise.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by pansophist(m): 1:52pm On Jul 06, 2023
Raalsalghul:

No, but for the ones suffering, other destinations might just make life easy for them.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by johnaruson(m): 1:53pm On Jul 06, 2023
Most Of them are over there supporting APC and Tinubu, trabalising the better Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Raalsalghul: 1:54pm On Jul 06, 2023
Regex:

Not really. From what I understand from his write up, usually in non English speaking countries, the only hurdle is just the language. Whereas places like UK, Australia and USA, there are lots of hurdles to naturalise.

Like what?

What are those hurdles in the U.K which are not in other countries?

Tax?

Difficulty in getting professional jobs?

Residence permit?

Relationships?

Racism?

We need to break it down because that is a blanket statement.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by mymadam(m): 1:54pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
thats just the plain truth.our Government should fix this country and make it conduceive because alot of Nigerians will like to relocate back if things are working well over here

Exactly 💯

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by jesmond3945: 1:54pm On Jul 06, 2023
moshuur:

Good evening boss....what's your opinion about a graphic designer in the uk...
I'm about to start learning it...is it a good skill or I should look towards another skill?
I'm still in nigeria for now
not in uk
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Raalsalghul: 1:55pm On Jul 06, 2023
pansophist:

No, but for the ones suffering, other destinations might just make life easy for them.

In terms of what exactly?

Residence permit?

Taxation?

Getting professional jobs?

Sorting bills?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Helel(m): 2:00pm On Jul 06, 2023
Reflect7:

What is so ''intelligent'' about exploiting cheap labour?

Nigerian employers do that as well, and when Nigerians become too rich to do menial jobs, floodgates will be opened for those from Niger, Chad, Togo etc.

Nothing particularly ''intelligent'' about any of that.

If ''the white man'' was so 'intelligent', he wouldn't have built nuclear weapons and pointing same at one another's nations as we speak.

They've built enough to destroy all life on Earth several times over.

Even an error can set off a worldwide nuclear cataclysm that could wipe you out in a millisecond.

The reason they built them?

Greed and Fear.

Hardly 'intelligent'.

Actually, DUMB AS ROCKS.

It's obvious you do not know the meaning of intelligence, neither are you one grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by saintadeola: 2:02pm On Jul 06, 2023
What’s the point in the post,do u think,money will just fly to u without working,no journey it’s easy at least u are been payed for work u are doing,go to bricklayers job from morning till night in Nigeria,they pay u 3k highest,if u are doing cleaner in uk,u have more than 100k per day,after tax u will still have lot to smile on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by RaptorX: 2:03pm On Jul 06, 2023
walebaba05:
I don't agree..Uk is a good place to live especially if you live in England or London to be specific, I came here with my family through student route and I realised the nation is great...I'm not saying they pick money on the ground oo but if you re educated, bsc holder in Nigeria or masters holder in UK, you will easily get a white collar job, what is really essential is to avoid crime and live a simple life, but Nigeria is also a good place to stay if you re determined but I think its a matter of choice
Easily get a white collar job with a Nigerian bsc ? I doubt if you have ever entered a plane from Lagos to Abuja talkless of UK.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Helel(m): 2:04pm On Jul 06, 2023
AjaoEstater:
In Nigeria's case like they say Rome was not built in a day and that become so true. We aboriginal Nigerians are so impatient. It took 144 years after independence for the United States to be what it is today (civil war, social movements, riots etc). In fact it was until the 1990s that Republic of Ireland (where I lived for second half of my life with last year being my last year there; I am in the Federation since January) became an advanced nation with the Celtic tiger. We dont know what we have until it gone. Nigeria's federal structure is the "best" in the world heck the US 50 states dont even enjoy autonomy like Nigeria's 36 states. We are also the most lax country on the planet (and most conservative)- Street trading (hawking) of anything? You will be fined and even jailed if you tried that in Ireland; Motorcycle (Okada) taxi? yeah you dare do this in Ireland or even Napepe (Tricycle); Prostitution services (Ashewo/Olosho) is not a criminal offence here unlike Ireland; same with Polygamus; same with Child marriage (no bullsh*t as Romeo and Juliet law i.e. a 13/14 year old having relationship with a 19/20+ years) in fact any village in nigeria you can date an 11 years old (under like 10 is crime and that make sense) as long as it's not "forced". Loudspeaker noise? Yeah the Irish Police (An Garda Siochana) will get the person to court ASAP. Beating your child? Jail sentence there as well in fact last year a man got 15 years in the pen for that. There they have Road Tax, Income Tax, TV License, Generator License (Noise Tax; 24hrs electricity but now super expensive cause of Russia-Ukraine), Carbon emission Tax, Sugar Tax, insane price for things like Cigarette, Alcohol, Drugs, Fishing license, Taxi (car taxi, like I say before no okada or napepe there) etc. Nigeria is so blessed we have everything it just the hearts of our leaders but that now going to stop. Nigeria is going to shoot to stars in everything. Like I say "Success spring out in the valley of uncertainties". Nigeria's federal structure (central government and constituent sub-national states) is also cheap compared to Ireland which is the most expensive unitary state (central government only) in the world (just the other day I was reading the government in Dublin (capital city) spent €144 million on lawmakers which is like #331 billion in Nigeria that alone will make a state because like Dubai yearly) and also cheaper than US which we kind of copied (but do it better) since States dont have bicameral legislature but unicameral, and dont have their own constitution which is literally a duplicate of the federal government but they have their own laws, chief judge and court system, etc. (State Police is literally the only thing now). We also have our own currency (which is a blessing in disguise). FYI: I am 29 years old.

God Bless Nigeria, Long Live Nigeria.

Crap

I stopped reading, when this dude wrote US 50states enjoy less autonomy than Nigerians 36states.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Helel(m): 2:05pm On Jul 06, 2023
saintadeola:
What’s the point in the post,do u think,money will just fly to u without working,no journey it’s easy at least u are been payed for work u are doing,go to bricklayers job from morning till night in Nigeria,they pay u 3k highest,if u are doing cleaner in uk,u have more than 100k per day,after tax u will still have lot to smile on.

Ingnore the OP.
Ppl excel nowadays writing or saying things they barley know.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by ubola: 2:06pm On Jul 06, 2023
candygist:

Even the home is not sure for you. A country where Lagos is the only business hub. A place where Igbo and Yoruba can't stay in peace. How is that home ?
In Nigeria you don't have to know Lagos before you succeed. I live in the south and have succeeded without having to visit Lagos. Just be consistent in what you do, like your life depends on it and success will locate you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by udede(m): 2:13pm On Jul 06, 2023
gtassure:

Really! How?
you can reach me by my digits on my signature
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Aurelius1(m): 2:15pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
most of them thought it was going to be a safe heaven but the reverse is now the case.The hardest hit are the ones that sold their houses and left their well paying job to Japa and be doing security job in UK.You see them complaining in the night security job that I was once a bank manager see what I am doing now.
What's stopping them from coming back home?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by onuman: 2:15pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
thats just the plain truth.our Government should fix this country and make it conduceive because alot of Nigerians will like to relocate back if things are working well over here
Islamists of Nigeria make Nigeria more miserable than the UK to live in.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by pansophist(m): 2:16pm On Jul 06, 2023
Raalsalghul:

In terms of what exactly?

Residence permit?

Taxation?

Getting professional jobs?

Sorting bills?

All bro. Why are you surprised? Do you think the UK is all that?
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by IbeOkehie: 2:17pm On Jul 06, 2023
Helel:

Crap.

I stopped reading, when this dude wrote US 50states enjoy less autonomy than Nigerians 36states.

Me too. I wonder where Nigerians get their info. Every State in the USA has it's own Constitution and their own police force and have the power to set their own minimum wage and run their own electricity. This Nairaland is something I swear grin

Smartguyboy:

Kind of the same though
Working your a$$ out and nothing to show for it.

Not really. Even illegal immigrants in Anglo-Western nations have a lot to show for their hard work. As I've written extensively on this forum, from my own experience AND stats, there's a higher probability of achieving a middle class life in the Anglo-West.

Nigeria is the POVERTY CAPITAL of the world. Enough said. shocked

Good Luck to Nigeria!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by MT: 2:21pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
UK Japa is not what most people that have travelled to UK were expecting.

On the flip side most Nigerians that migrated are doing it for their kids future and we hope things get better with time.

I have learnt to stop warning people about the suffering in the UK because they will tag me enemy of progress.

I want them to go and see for themselves.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 2:22pm On Jul 06, 2023
Aurelius1:
What's stopping them from coming back home?

It’s more like a point of no return.

Go back home to do what? What will they have to show? They will rather remain stucked there.

Very few do. Pray you never find yourself in such condition where you can only go forward. Going back is not an option.

Imagine someone who sold his house to travel, and you want him to return to Nigeria into a rented apartment. It can never happen.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Basicend: 2:24pm On Jul 06, 2023
ABIKEM:
The last paragraph got it all...most nigerians are doing it for their kids future

Which future ma?

LGBT?

People need to pray well for God to lead them to their ordained grounds.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Raalsalghul: 2:37pm On Jul 06, 2023
pansophist:

All bro. Why are you surprised? Do you think the UK is all that?

Honestly, I don't think the U.K is all that but I have friends in other countries and the same challenges in the U.K is what they face over there too that is why I am fishing for specifics to know how these other countries are better than the U.K.
Re: Nigerians In The UK Are Really Suffering by Bennysam: 2:44pm On Jul 06, 2023
guobe:
If you have made up your mind to travel out just note that nobody is stopping you and that nowhere is a safe heaven.
He just ask you a simple question that need answers

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (15) (Reply)

Who Said Lagos Is Not Beautiful? (Pictures) / Some Things To Note When Attending US Visa Interview in Abuja / See The Road I Saw In Orlu Imo State Today - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.