Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,870 members, 7,810,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:49 AM

Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees (42419 Views)

Parents Groan As Institutions Hike Fees By Over 100 Percent / Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / Strike: ASUU Tells Parents, Students What To Do As Strike Continues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 7:14pm On Jun 30, 2023
Kukutenla:

What!! Are you serious?

Well, FYI if you're of low income and you are brilliant in the US, you qualify for scholarship and not even loan to such universities. If however your tests results are not exceptional and you still want to go to such schools, if you're granted admission, you can access student loans. Lastly, if you don't make their grade but you still want to go to college, there are cheaper college and some even free colleges you can attend.

I hope you are properly educated now.
The reason it is being related to minimum wage in our case is because options such as scholarships and loans are not readily available and the only cushion which is relatively cheaper fees are about to be removed.

People get scholarship in Nigeria too. Let’s ignore scholarships and emphasize on the points “You” raised.

What is the tuition fees of those schools, I will help you relate to the minimum wage in those countries.

His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) has initiated a student loan program to bigger effects of such.

I will repeat again, you trading off quality and standard out of pity.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Kukutenla: 7:14pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

It will be bad of me to use a foreign university cos that will be wild, and why am using a university local to the country. And moreover, the school is doing very well and deserves every kudos for now. I don’t care about their religious affiliations, but inlove with the excellence they churning out.

You could easily relate the high fees to their standard and quality.
You're not a good intellectual if you pick an isolated case to make generalisations.
It's like making Havard being the school that's produced highest number of US presidents to declare that schools can only be good if they produce Presidents while there's a Stanford that produced Silicon Valley that's generated billions of dollars and millions of jobs to US economy without producing a single president.

Upgrade your debating skills boy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 7:20pm On Jun 30, 2023
Reference:

You cannot know that without transparency in government and without debate in parliament. The best you can do is to speculate as to what government can and cannot afford and what you as a citizen consider to be a priority which may not necessarily be the priority of government.

Subsidies on education can never be placed in the same boat as subsidies on consumption.
Education is a fundamental right and as such funding should be open for debate just as is happening in the US concerning student loans and the lot.

University education is not a fundamental right and cannot be as at where Nigeria stands today.

Lagos is the richest state in Nigeria generating billions in revenue. Have you been to LASU before, or heard about its outstanding academic excellence? It’s glaring that Lagos itself cannot fund a university, how much more other states and FG
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by ufotunang: 7:21pm On Jun 30, 2023
That is the renewed hope nigerians voted for
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by ufotunang: 7:21pm On Jun 30, 2023
Renewed shege

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Kukutenla: 7:22pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

People get scholarship in Nigeria too. Let’s ignore scholarships and emphasize on the points “You” raised.

What is the tuition fees of those schools, I will help you relate to the minimum wage in those countries.

His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) has initiated a student loan program to bigger effects of such.

I will repeat again, you trading off quality and standard out of pity.
Who gets scholarships? Where are the scholarship boards? You lie too much. Students have had high virus cutoffs on Jamb and still end up self- funded. 1st class products have had to scavenge to do masters and even get good jobs. Don't tell lies to buttress your points.

You don't need to do that because mitigating factors exist there which make such comparisons irrelevant but since you insist, about $72k overall.

Where can I get the student loan pls
I need it for my child
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 7:24pm On Jun 30, 2023
Kukutenla:

You're not a good intellectual if you pick an isolated case to make generalisations.
It's like making Havard being the school that's produced highest number of US presidents to declare that schools can only be good if they produce Presidents while there's a Stanford that produced Silicon Valley that's generated billions of dollars and millions of jobs to US economy without producing a single president.

Upgrade your debating skills boy

Oh! Because I was emphasizing on Covenant. Okay, compare any Nigerian university to any accredited University in UK, Canada or US? Even covenant won’t match.

And why is that so? Because those countries have standards that come with high fees, and why Nigerians will continue to crave for degrees, and employers will always reckon with such degrees.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 7:27pm On Jun 30, 2023
Kukutenla:

Who gets scholarships? Where are the scholarship boards? You lie too much. Students have had high virus cutoffs on Jamb and still end up self- funded. 1st class products have had to scavenge to do masters and even get good jobs. Don't tell lies to buttress your points.

You don't need to do that because mitigating factors exist there which make such comparisons irrelevant but since you insist, about $72k overall.

Where can I get the student loan pls
I need it for my child

Student loans is a new development.

Scholarships are available if you informed.

Total
Agip Saipem
Halliburton
Shell
Baker Hughes
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by ufotunang: 7:28pm On Jun 30, 2023
You people did not want to vote for Peter Obi that would had made things better for nigerians and make the economy and country better
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Kukutenla: 7:34pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Student loans is a new development.

Scholarships are available if you informed.

Total
Agip Saipem
Halliburton
Shell
Baker Hughes
Oh. So you agree students loans are not yet available. So what has been your point?

Those scholarships you mentioned are not govt funded and are for students who are already in school. There's no scholarship structure like you have in the US that is a accessed based on performance.
Stop getting things mixed up

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 7:37pm On Jun 30, 2023
Kukutenla:

Oh. So you agree students loans are not yet available. So what has been your point?

Those scholarships you mentioned are not govt funded and are for students who are already in school. There's no scholarship structure like you have in the US that is a accessed based on performance.
Stop getting things mixed up

His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) just initiated the student loan programme. When that rolls out, it will cushion effects. It’s a gradual process just beginning.

The timing for the increment could be wrong, but initiative is the best.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by EminiOba: 7:42pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

UI . Now I have an idea of who I am discussing with.

Take your school for an example and be sincere , school is living on old glory. Education, infrastructure, and welfare is dead . A graduate of that school will NEVER match that of a covenant. The margin is wide.

I am sure you heard stories of what that school was like before. Have you ever asked yourself why it is retrogressing? If you have please share with me. I want you to answer your own question.

Walk around your school and ask yourself, can the government really fund it, if it decides to reinstate back to the good old days. The answer is a big NO. Even local government monthly allocations cannot fund it.

For a few years past, the budget allocated to education has been cut back from year to year by the federal
government. And you know this cut back has affected both capital and recurrent expenditures. In many higher
institutions capital projects embarked upon are few years ago, are yet to be completed due to lack of
adequate funds. Many factors are responsible for shortage of funds in the university
and they are poor financial planning, lack of political will to fund higher education, CORRUPTION,
and drop in national revenue. The education sector in Nigeria is known to be one of the few areas that do not get the right budget allocation in years back, so can you compare it with what we have today Also students pay less, even free meal. Asides of funds for infrastructure, equipment and other necessities, the salaries of staff are nothing to write home about or do you amount of money your politicians are earning annually comparing to a professor?
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 7:47pm On Jun 30, 2023
EminiOba:
For a few years past, the budget allocated to education has been cut back from year to year by the federal
government. And you know this cut back has affected both capital and recurrent expenditures. In many higher
institutions capital projects embarked upon are few years ago, are yet to be completed due to lack of
adequate funds. Many factors are responsible for shortage of funds in the university
and they are poor financial planning, lack of political will to fund higher education, CORRUPTION,
and drop in national revenue. The education sector in Nigeria is known to be one of the few areas that do not get the right budget allocation in years back, so can you compare it with what we have today Also students pay less, even free meal. Asides of funds for infrastructure, equipment and other necessities, the salaries of staff are nothing to write home about or do you amount of money your politicians are earning annually comparing to a professor?

Wow! I am impressed!

Since you have all these information's and even mentioned the root cause. It amazing that you still against raising the bar.

I am now confused about where you stand, cos you really know what the problem happens to be.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by EminiOba: 7:52pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Wow! I am impressed!

Since you have all these information's and even mentioned the root cause. It amazing that you still against raising the bar.

I am now confused about where you stand, cos you really know what the problem happens to be.
what I'm saying is our government are still our problem not the poor citizens

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by nnamdi640: 7:53pm On Jun 30, 2023
Voting for APC was like telling them that we love the hardship the party is giving out, now this is the effect. By next week a liter of fuel will be sold for #700, dollar will soon hit #1000 because those collecting license for importation of fuel will need dollar for the transaction which will increase the high demand for dollar leading to increase in the price of dollar. Electricity bill will soon skyrocket, Nigerians should just sit tight because we are about to experience another level of hardship, this type of hardship is beyond what Buhari did. All the people shouting Lagos track record for Tinubu during the election time won't be spare for what we are about to face, a country where the masses failed to learn from their passed mistake as a result of tribalism and hatred in voting the right person. Assuming they agreed in voting out APC, the next ruling party would have learned from the mistake of APC

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by azizsystem(m): 7:55pm On Jun 30, 2023
Donpenny:
sure but currently off to wrk untill i return to the villa. Very potent

I just sent you a pm. Do respond if you can
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by EminiOba: 7:57pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Wow! I am impressed!

Tinubu has no solid educational background in Nigeria, so you can't give what you don't have, I'm even surprised why many of you are in support of this man.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Reference(m): 8:06pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

University education is not a fundamental right and cannot be as at where Nigeria stands today.

Lagos is the richest state in Nigeria generating billions in revenue. Have you been to LASU before, or heard about its outstanding academic excellence? It’s glaring that Lagos itself cannot fund a university, how much more other states and FG

Well by the next elections the people will determine that.

As far as I am concerned, education is not consumption, it is the foundation for development and as such is beyond the pay grade of the Executive. It is beyond the whims and caprices of any ONE president. And that is why I say whatever proposals they have to change the status quo on the funding should be forwarded to the Legislature for consideration and debate so that the people agree with the course of their own future.

Once again. Education is not consumption, it is investment. Let Nigerians by themselves decide how they want their citizens to be educated.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Kukutenla: 8:09pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Oh! Because I was emphasizing on Covenant. Okay, compare any Nigerian university to any accredited University in UK, Canada or US? Even covenant won’t match.

And why is that so? Because those countries have standards that come with high fees, and why Nigerians will continue to crave for degrees, and employers will always reckon with such degrees.

Are you aware UI is 421 on universities ranking ahead of some universities in UK, US and Canada?

I already told you that high fees alone is not the reason the ivy league universities have high standards. Rather, it's the reputation they have built and the standards they've achieved that gave them the right to charge such fees. Let's imagine for a moment that while Havard charges $72k Covenant decides to increase its fees to $100k. Are you saying Covenant's standard will as a result shoot above Havard's and thus attract more high net worth students and individuals from all over the world like Havard?

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 8:10pm On Jun 30, 2023
EminiOba:
Tinubu has no solid educational background in Nigeria, so you can't give what you don't have, I'm even surprised why many of you are in support of this man.

You don’t need to have first hand experience to identify problems. That’s where your observation and analytical skill comes to play.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 8:13pm On Jun 30, 2023
EminiOba:
what I'm saying is our government are still our problem not the poor citizens

Agreed, but the government also is overwhelmed. Do you know how many states and federal universities we have in Nigeria?

It’s glaring that the government cannot fund universities. Expecting a miracle will only keep retrogressing those institutions
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by riczy(m): 8:17pm On Jun 30, 2023
Tinubu hit d ground running, now the citizenry is running!
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by tonytony208(m): 8:18pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

I feel your plight. I know condoms do fail.

Lolz. Have you followed my instructions to discuss with your family members first?

You are a bad family representative. Discuss with them first and they'll show you how stupid you are

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Freethinker87: 8:19pm On Jun 30, 2023
Seeing is believing! Una go learn why dem dey call Tinubu Ojuyobo. cheesy

Lagosians cried more than this under Tinubu but Baba no send dem ooo. "Pay your tax or go back to your village" was a popular slogan back then.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Kukutenla: 8:19pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) just initiated the student loan programme. When that rolls out, it will cushion effects. It’s a gradual process just beginning.

The timing for the increment could be wrong, but initiative is the best.

When? Give a timeline?
The timing is wrong, and same with the initiative. What we need now is corporate funding for our universities with investiture and corporate grants like we have in US, UK and Canada. That is what is sustainable not jacking up school fees.

What will happen next when the schools need more money? Jack up the fees further? You guys need to think out of the box instead of this zombefied capitalism which is clearly anti-people and steadily making Buhari look like a saint.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by learnedman(m): 8:22pm On Jun 30, 2023
By the time Thief nubu the drug baron finishes with Nigerians,everybody go hear nwiiii,if u dont gerit,forget it because they don chop u be dat! grin grin shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by rollywise(m): 8:34pm On Jun 30, 2023
Una never see anything.... Na emilokan regime 😂😂😂

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by abednezar: 8:45pm On Jun 30, 2023
Omo na initial gragra dey cause everything we dey see now o. Eno dey think. Na wetin Oyibo man tell am e go do. Eno even get minister. Na Oyibo dey press button.
Dollar go soon reach 1000naira per dollar.
We don accept Tinubu be dat! Gbam. Congrats to us all!
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2023
rollywise:
Una never see anything.... Na emilokan regime 😂😂😂

learnedman:
By the time Thief nubu the drug baron finishes with Nigerians,everybody go hear nwiiii,if u dont gerit,forget it because they don chop u be dat! grin grin shocked shocked

We know the plan of you lots!

You are only awaiting the fall of Nigeria and that will never happen. With your eyes, you shall see and witness the uplifting and massive development in Nigeria.

If people like you don’t exist, their won’t be the word “surprise”

His Excellency, President Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (GCFR) is aware that people of your kind are anxious to see him fail, and has promised to put you lots to shame.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:29pm On Jun 30, 2023
And the gnashing of teeth continues.
Let's all enjoy our pains while it lasts.
After Tinubu they will all still gather and vote in another disaster and continue the gnashing of teeth.
We the dot people are not disappointed because we always knew that there was nothing for us in Nigeria. So we are always ready to face whatever they throw at us. But the people I pity are those who thought they were going to get free commodities at the market because their brother was able to enter through the back door.
And now they are crying and gnashing their teeth more than those who were asked not to vote because they belonged to one particular tribe.

May the pain of APC supporters favour me and my family 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 Likes

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 9:56pm On Jun 30, 2023
Reference:

Well by the next elections the people will determine that.

As far as I am concerned, education is not consumption, it is the foundation for development and as such is beyond the pay grade of the Executive. It is beyond the whims and caprices of any ONE president. And that is why I say whatever proposals they have to change the status quo on the funding should be forwarded to the Legislature for consideration and debate so that the people agree with the course of their own future.

Once again. Education is not consumption, it is investment. Let Nigerians by themselves decide how they want their citizens to be educated.

You see what I am talking about? Is this not an embarrassment?

https://www.nairaland.com/7747763/save-us-losing-accreditation-uniben
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Chidolalar: 10:08pm On Jun 30, 2023
KingDash09:
Me wey graduate tay tay.. thank God.. my businesses paying me well

There’s nothing sweet like keyboard pressing
E takes time but when you cashout big you will know say e sweet

Keyboard pressing u mean Yahoo?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Sexually Transmitted Degrees : 7 Things You Should Know / An OAU Student's Project On Defeathering A Chicken. This Is An Awesome Invention / Different Types Of Students You Will Meet In An Exam Hall - Meme Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.