Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,723 members, 7,816,977 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees (42477 Views)

Parents Groan As Institutions Hike Fees By Over 100 Percent / Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / Strike: ASUU Tells Parents, Students What To Do As Strike Continues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Dybala11(m): 4:04pm On Jun 30, 2023
Kukutenla:

Why are you Zombies using Nigerians studying in UK universities as leverage to think you're making sense.
Nigerians go to UK universities as a migration format!! Even the millions are obtained by selling off properties.
You're comparing apples with orange
Exactly o.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:04pm On Jun 30, 2023
PS712:

You try, why leave out countries like Germany, Norway, Finland where it's tuition free even for international students? Even the Canada, US you mentioned, are there no cushioning effects already in place?
In a sudden swoop citizens are expected and subjected to sacrifice with respect to fuel pump price, electricity, car ownership, education, professional body etc. These moves as well intended as they are the manner in which it's being carried out is like violently stripping a woman's clothes to sleep with her despite that she has consented to the affair. It leaves her feeling raped!

What’s the financial burden of those countries you listed? What’s their population, age and income to tax ratio?

Moreover, this countries are of age and made sacrifices at some point, and that the problems we Nigerians have. No generation is ready to make sacrifices for the next.

Whether now or later, one thing is guaranteed. University will have to go autonomous. Nigeria cannot afford it
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by olusipimp(m): 4:05pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

The proposed fees are still not as expensive as tuition in any of those countries you mentioned, so it’s still affordable.

The status quo cannot take us farther than where we are today. If you demand change in that sector, then people must pay for it.

I will repeat again, the government can NEVER fund education. The earlier you realize this, the better.

Don’t shy away from what you will still have to face. It happened with subsidy.

Can u afford such if u don't steal from ur office coffers to pay ur children's uni fees

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by J3susFr3ak: 4:08pm On Jun 30, 2023
ecolime:
You can remove subsidy on everything but you see education and health, either of them must not be tampered with.

That's about the only thing the impoverished masses are enjoying in this country.

Good point.

I suppose the people will have to pressure Tinubu to use all the claimed savings from withdrawing subsidies in the oil sector to actually SUBSIDIZING education and improving critical infrastructure.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by torqque7(m): 4:08pm On Jun 30, 2023
grin grin🤣🤣Shey una vote APC especially Maiduguri and Kano?una Never see anything o..the high fees will not affect APC supporters or yoruba Muslim fanatics..las las e go reach everybody,una Must learn by force.FOoooolls

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Dybala11(m): 4:08pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

No matter the mitigations you put in place, education can still NEVER be affordable for all. So the delay?

Even as of date, it is still not affordable for all.
So because it is not affordable for all, we should make it more unaffordable for more people?? Common, you can do better. Once the figures of educated people in this country drops, then more trouble is looming on the horizon. Very soon, those poor Nigerians that constitute the majority of the citizens won't be able to afford going to hospitals to get something synonymous to a proper health care, they will resort to doing more of self medication or seeking for babalawos. And guess what?? The president will still continue to tour European countries for better health care. It's an unending cycle. Welcome to Nigeria.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:09pm On Jun 30, 2023
Angelfrost:

Bro... Your point is valid and I accept it wholly!

However, you conveniently dodged all my questions! But, I understand... You clearly have no answers to them!

The reforms being instituted are many and I feel they are being rushed without proper plans and recommendations, even solicitation with those directly affected!

The citizens are currently at ground zero (Been there even before Buhari handed over)!... How exactly are they supposed to bear with you??! In what way??!

You don't put the horse before the cart!

You all keep saying Tinubu can't work miracles or bring dividends in a short time, yet you feel it is very possible for millions living below the poverty line to applaud all these draconian steps being taken all at once! Come on!

If you say they are being rushed, I will agree with you. At the end of the day, we will still have to face it.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Dybala11(m): 4:11pm On Jun 30, 2023
olusipimp:

Can u afford such if u don't steal from ur office coffers to pay ur children's uni fees
Maybe he probably has a permanent secretary or a judge in his family that he can use as a guarantor to secure the student loan, who knows. 🤷

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by blackgold2018(m): 4:11pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:
Nothing good comes easy!

If Nigerian universities want to compete, they must be autonomous, and students must pay their fair share

Nigerians are the only class of people who want their country to overtake the US, UK and Canada, but not ready to pay their fair share like citizens of those countries.

Also, Nigerians demand instant change and never ready to make sacrifices for gradual change.
foool

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by blackgold2018(m): 4:12pm On Jun 30, 2023
Sitwalkstand:
After the regae play the blues.

Go and apply for student loan. get a director or perm sec to guaranty you.

Every Nigerian should have a perm sec or director or Judge in their family

Loan is available. go for it and stop complaining

Renewed shegge is here.
fool
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:12pm On Jun 30, 2023
Dybala11:

So because it is not affordable for all, we should make it more unaffordable for more people?? Common, you can do better. Once the figures of educated people in this country drops, then more trouble is looming on the horizon. Very soon, those poor Nigerians that constitute the majority of the citizens won't be able to afford going to hospitals to get something synonymous to a proper health care, they will resort to doing more of self medication or seeking for babalawos. And guess what?? The president will still continue to your European countries for better health care. It's an unending cycle. Welcome to Nigeria.

If you familiar and truth about the university educational system, you should be able to accept its in shambles.

I said earlier and will reinstate. If you lit standard and quality on the table, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

We want a UI and UNILAG to compete with Oxford and Harvard, but not ready to pay the price.

If you keep bringing pity to the table, then you not ready for progress.

University education is not compulsory. We hyped it to make it look like.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by bignero: 4:13pm On Jun 30, 2023
JasonScoolari:
That's it.

I recently noticed that threads like this don't get to frontpage easily.

You see threads like "Tinubu Hails His Domestic Cat" on frontpage with just one comment.

what do you expect this owner of this site is atinubu fan....for simple reason that his parents told him their from the same tribe

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:13pm On Jun 30, 2023
blackgold2018:
foool

Is that all you have to say?

Step up!

Statement like that don’t trigger me.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Dybala11(m): 4:15pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

I am tired of you hogs!
You never make points but insult my highly esteemed personality.
I will forgive you.
Don't take people like him serious jor.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by blackgold2018(m): 4:15pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Is that all you have to say?

Step up!

Statement like that don’t trigger me.
it’s better ignored. The way people rush to reply comments in this forum, shows how jobless most of the nairaland users are.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Angelfrost(m): 4:15pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

If you say they are being rushed, I will agree with you. At the end of the day, we will still have to face it.

Of course... The pain must be felt now, for a better tomorrow!

I personally believe Tertiary education should no longer be a top prerequisite for employment in both public and private establishments, rather skills and ability to get jobs done!

I won't even employ anyone today on the sole basis of a tertiary degree when I can train and have an SSCE holder with the clear ability to deliver!

However, the problem is beyond this... The biggest issue is that a nation with so much being wasted in the name of governance (Federal and State) and a low minimum wage (by international standards) should be more concerned about industrialization and job creation, as well as increasing MSMEs rather than chopping off subsidies all over the place!

Education subsidy removal can take off after these are in place, not before!!!

Thank you for your time, sir...! Apologies for any earlier insults... It's not my style! I'm all about objective and productive arguments and discourses! Na Nairaland wan turn us into beasts! Peace!!!
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by LeyeWrites: 4:15pm On Jun 30, 2023
It's common sense.

Government offering student loans means fees go up, so that students will take the loan.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:17pm On Jun 30, 2023
Angelfrost:

Of course... The pain must be felt now, for a better tomorrow!

I personally believe Tertiary education should no longer be a top prerequisite for employment in both public and private establishments, rather skills and ability to get jobs done!

I won't even employ anyone today on the sole basis of a tertiary degree when I can train and have an SSCE holder with the clear ability to deliver!

However, the problem is beyond this... The biggest issue is that a nation with so much being wasted in the name of governance (Federal and State) and a low minimum wage (by international standards) should be more concerned about industrialization and job creation, as well as increasing MSMEs rather than chopping off subsidies all over the place!

Education subsidy removal can take off after these are in place, not before!!!

Thank you for your time, sir...! Apologies for any earlier insults... It's not my style! I'm all about objective and productive arguments and discourses! Na Nairaland wan turn us into beasts! Peace!!!

I really enjoyed your discussion. It was educative. That’s how it should be.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Kukutenla: 4:18pm On Jun 30, 2023
MT:

China has the 2nd largest economy in the world, when she started her own reforms, it came with extreme pains. Now, they are producing almost everything the world is using.

Reforms must bring pain. We cannot continue in the old ways. If all the previous administrations had introduced these reforms, the current president will just build on them.

Nigeria economy has been badly managed, there cant be instant comfort. There will be pains before it get better.
Where did you get the bolded from? Banking sector reforms in 2005 did not bring pain. Rather it led to better banking systems.

You mean if the current president had allowed previous administrations to introduce these reforms instead of standing in their way and inciting the masses against them hypocritically?
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by tonytony208(m): 4:22pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:
Nothing good comes easy!

If Nigerian universities want to compete, they must be autonomous, and students must pay their fair share

Nigerians are the only class of people who want their country to overtake the US, UK and Canada, but not ready to pay their fair share like citizens of those countries.

Also, Nigerians demand instant change and never ready to make sacrifices for gradual change.

Lolz. Go and consult your family members about the school fees hike. Maybe you wull wake up from your stupidity after that.

You are a 100% lost soul
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Kukutenla: 4:22pm On Jun 30, 2023
MT:

I have learnt to ignore you.

Aint you ashamed that you are always sounding so uncultured whenever intellectual discourse is being discussed ?. Cant you deliver your message with civility?

Please ignore me as your silliness will never elicit response, no matter how hard you try.
Nothing is intellectual about you!!
You're just an empty barrel saying what you don't know.
Just recently a video came out where a Nigerian migrant explained away the reason why many Nigerians go for education in UK yet you're using that same foreign education as a reason to justify fees hike. Explain what is intellectual about that!!
What you're doing is gaslighting by trying to turn opinions on their head. It's intellectual fraud not discourse. Same thing you did on the other thread.
What kind of human are you?
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Dyfynezz12(m): 4:22pm On Jun 30, 2023
😂😂😂
Jagaban 101
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:23pm On Jun 30, 2023
tonytony208:

Lolz. Go and consult your family members about the school fees hike. Maybe you wull wake up from your stupidity after that.

You are a 100% lost soul

You kinda sound interesting but dull.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SuccessfulRichi: 4:25pm On Jun 30, 2023
ijustdey:

https://dailytrust.com/parents-students-cry-out-as-varsities-hike-fees/
/
Who remembers the heavy rain on the day TINUBU was declared winner of the 2023 election in the midnight?
Who remembers the the heavy rain on the day of TINUBU inauguration?? This is just tears, screaming, wailing, and gnashing of teeth is loading. This administration will favour me and my family.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Dybala11(m): 4:26pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

If you familiar and truth about the university educational system, you should be able to accept its in shambles.

I said earlier and will reinstate. If you lit standard and quality on the table, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

We want a UI and UNILAG to compete with Oxford and Harvard, but not ready to pay the price.

If you keep bringing pity to the table, then you not ready for progress.

University education is not compulsory. We hyped it to make it look like.
We shall see the outcome of that decision quite soon, you want youths that are demoralised concerning education to still run far away from getting educated. Hope you know that those lots you're supporting are probably products of free education themselves?? Very soon, subsidy on secondary school education too might be called to question. God help us all.
You're sha on the side of the opinion that only the kids from a rich home should have University education, those whose family are employed by the government and getting paid peanuts which they don't even get regularly are doomed to their fate. We shall see how productive that idea will be. 😂😂😂
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by wealthyvic1: 4:26pm On Jun 30, 2023
UptownVibes:
cheesy Una never see anything. I will build on buhari's foundation.. See the re
sult grin

WELCOME TO HELL.
THEM NEVER SEE ANYTHING.
FOR ME I AM ENJOYING MY NETWORK MARKETING BUSINESS FROM THE COMFORT OF MY HOME (REVOOBIT INTERNATIONAL)
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by tonytony208(m): 4:27pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

You kinda sound interesting but dull.

Lolz.

Go and consult your family members and ask them how much they are spending on transportation. Then come back and repeat your rubbish. Eleriibu. Eru lasan
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:28pm On Jun 30, 2023
Dybala11:

We shall see the outcome of that decision quite soon, you want youths that are demoralised concerning education to still run far away from getting educated. Hope you know that those lots you're supporting are probably products of free education themselves?? Very soon, subsidy on secondary school education too might be called to question. God help us all.
You're sha on the side of the opinion that only the kids from a rich home should have University education, those whose family are employed by the government and getting paid peanuts which they don't even get regularly are doomed to their fate. We shall see how productive that idea will be. 😂😂😂

You still bringing pity to the table. You now for a better educational system.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 4:29pm On Jun 30, 2023
tonytony208:

Lolz.

Go and consult your family members and ask them how much they are spending on transportation. Then come back and repeat your rubbish. Eleriibu. Eru lasan

I feel your plight. I know condoms do fail.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by cigaricon(m): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2023
Whether they like it or not, it will favor me and my family 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by azizsystem(m): 4:31pm On Jun 30, 2023
Donpenny:
Most northern schools fees still still falls in ranges though different from previous fees , some average parent might afford to pay for their children like 2 or 1 but you see those southern schools like AAU and co sch fees hike , na to drop out go learn work for most of the students. How do you pay seven hundred and something for one student fees? What if you have 3 children. Make all of una come learn coding from me my fees are considerate .

Guy, are you serious about that diabetes cure?
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Setaleonoz(m): 4:32pm On Jun 30, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

He is not bro. Blame yourself for being poor. Don't be angry, think of a better and legal way to make more money.
Fool…i can feed ur your useless family
Mumu …I dont live in nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

University Of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) Chatroom / What Is The Difference Between Pharmacology And Pharmacy? / Can You Solve These Questions? (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.