Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,892 members, 7,821,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees (42522 Views)

Parents Groan As Institutions Hike Fees By Over 100 Percent / Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / Strike: ASUU Tells Parents, Students What To Do As Strike Continues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by mayor1814: 3:12pm On Jun 30, 2023
System202:
It's not it that I am happy, but some few months back when Buhari was dealing with ASUU, parents and students and are happy and calling ASUU all sort of names. So you can cry to hell I don't care

Ppl will now see and understand clearly why ASUU was lamenting and complaining then. Now it's the parents and some students calling ASUU names are d ones doing the lamenting and complaining.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by lexy2014: 3:13pm On Jun 30, 2023
MT:

China has the 2nd largest economy in the world, when she started her own reforms, it came with extreme pains. Now, they are producing almost everything the world is using.

Reforms must bring pain. We cannot continue in the old ways. If all the previous administrations had introduced these reforms, the current president will just build on them.

Nigeria economy has been badly managed, there cant be instant comfort. There will be pains before it get better.

Offpoint. That's not what I asked you.

1. What are the conditions for collecting the students loan?

2. Why is it that nigerian government reforms always bring pain with d so called promise of a better tomorrow?

3. Why do the reforms never bring a better today?

4. Why is it that the better tomorrow never comes?

5. Is Tinubu experiencing the pains of the reforms?

3 Likes

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by airsaylongcome: 3:13pm On Jun 30, 2023
GeneralDae:

It doesn't make sense for me, when someone supports an ideology but because he lost an election, he seems to have gone against same ideology. Except he has no ideology and it was just all about hero worship. This is Obi in 2011.

https://saharareporters.com/2011/05/12/erc-calls-governor-peter-obi-and-ansu-management-revert-old-fees

Going by that analogy, what would be your take on the subsidy removal by the current C-in-C when 11 years ago he opposed it when he was not in government? Would you say he has gone against his 2012 "ideology"?

4 Likes

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2023
Dybala11:

All what you wrote in your comment is balderdash. Do you guys even think beyond the stipend these politicians pay you to launder their image??
Next now the government should remove subsidy on health too so that our hospitals would be able to compete too right??

Yes!

What’s happening in the UK and Canada? Their health sector is almost getting stretched out and glaring it won’t survive next decade except they will have to hike taxes.

If you want to get the best, pay for it. The government will NEVER give you the utmost best.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by OneCandleAway(f): 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Here comes the line. Do you want raise the quality and standard of education at a cost, or maintain status quo?

Let the govt stop corruption in govt sectors. He will be able to gradually fund education higher according to ASUU demands. Tell him to use proceeds from Zamfara gold because I haven't seen any effects of that gold.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by GeneralDae: 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2023
Skyview01:

please, PO has nothing to do with this. PBAT will take the responsibilities for all his decisions. PO is not the president and I do not want to hear his name about any PBAT's policies.
If a Sowore supporter criticizes these policies, then I wouldn't say anything but an Atiku or Obi supporter criticizing capitalist reforms is a no no for me.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Angelfrost(m): 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2023
GeneralDae:

Y'all are just pained you lost election and have no ideology. If not you can't be opposing thesame capitalist principles your candidate is known for and what he campaigned on.

Oga... No one is opposing the reality!

The REALITY is that school drop-outs without employment or means of livelihood are about to increase astronomically! Price hikes across food and utilities have already taken effect!

The real question remains... Are you and your leaders really ready for the consequences and fallout??!

This is not the time for sycophancy and name-calling! Insults won't change the coming storm!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by bashlek(m): 3:14pm On Jun 30, 2023
All the burden of govt have been passed to citizens…….Education is not free anywhere. Millions of Nigerians left the country to study abroad
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by lexy2014: 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

I just realized it’s you?

Questions after questions.

Let me be please

When did I hold u that u asking me to let you be? I only asked u questions ezce6u are telling me that you can't answer the questions I asked. Why can't you answer the questions?

So nigerian citizens should "pay their fair share". What is this "fair share" nigerian citizens must pay?

Which share do the leaders have to pay as well?

If you say nigerian citizens aren't ready to make sacrifices, which sacrifice have u made all this while or are you Belarusian citizen?

Pls which sacrifices are the leaders making? They drive in long convoys with all cars bought by the govt. The fuel for the cars is bought by the govt. Tinubu fir instance enjoys free transportation at home and abroad, free feeding at home and abroad, free accomodation at home and abroad, free phone calls and internet at home and abroad, free security at home and abroad, free health care at home and abroad, free staff at home and abroad, free clothing..... everything free.

What sacrifices are the leaders making that you want the citizens to make?

3 Likes

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Angelfrost(m): 3:15pm On Jun 30, 2023
Kingofhoes:

You're the one who seems to have a problem with comprehension. And I quote you

"If Nigerian universities want to compete, they must be autonomous, and students must pay their fair share
Nigerians are the only class of people who want their country to overtake the US, UK and Canada, but not ready to pay their fair share like citizens of those countries".

Unless you were drunk whilst typing this, you don't have a case. Get educated and don't embarrass your hardworking parents.

How can a Bigoted sycophant ever be properly and truly educated??! Where in his ethnic brain will the real education sink in??!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by klawaaa: 3:16pm On Jun 30, 2023
Mehn see agony. Nigerians were not taught to check track records to infer their decisions. A dog won't change overnight to become a cat. This dude took the freebies/rights of Jakande and monetized it then stole it to enriched himself and become the richest politician in Nigeria.
ijustdey:

https://dailytrust.com/parents-students-cry-out-as-varsities-hike-fees/
/
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by CyberHustle: 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2023
GeneralDae:

Even your Obi promised to do thesame thing. I can give you proof.
please do.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Kaycee9242(m): 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2023
ecolime:
You can remove subsidy on everything but you see education and health, either of them must not be tampered with.

That's about the only thing the impoverished masses are enjoying in this country.

Are you normal at all?

How can that person be normal
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by MT: 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2023
lexy2014:

Offpoint. That's not what I asked you.

1. What are the conditions for collecting the students loan?

2. Why is it that nigerian government reforms always bring pain with d so called promise of a better tomorrow?

3. Why do the reforms never bring a better today?

4. Why is it that the better tomorrow never comes?

5. Is Tinubu experiencing the pains of the reforms?

1. You have the internet, go and research about the terms and conditions or you expect students loans to be abused without terms and conditions?

2 It is not only Nigeria, all reforms in the world bring it's pain. I have cited China example for you.

3. It is too early to be pessimistic. Tjis current administration is just taking off.

4. Refer to my response in 3

5. He can't and doesn't need to feel.We ekect him to turn Nigeria fortune around, not to.oudh himself into penury.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2023
OneCandleAway:

Let the govt stop corruption in govt sectors. He will be able to gradually fund education higher according to ASUU demands. Tell him to use proceeds from Zamfara gold because I haven't seen any effects of that gold.

Your comment raised some issues. If you still relating the government with education, that sector will not move forward.

The universities being autonomous is the way to go. If we keep relating corruption with education, then the status quo will remain same. Let them stand and decide for themselves.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by GeneralDae: 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Going by that analogy, what would be your take on the subsidy removal by the current C-in-C when 11 years ago he opposed it when he was not in government? Would you say he has gone against his 2012 "ideology"?
Yes. A goof on his side.

He probably made that mistake of thinking then it was all corruption and the Jonathan Government was making excuses.

In 2015 he had retracted and was advising the Buhari Government to remove subsidy.

PO in Anambra raised school fees and even in his recent debates (like Atiku) doesn't believe in Government subsidy for University education but alternate sources of funding.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by NigeriaIsGreat: 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2023
bashlek:
All the burden of govt have been passed to citizens…….Education is not free anywhere. Millions of Nigerians left the country to study abroad
LOl

Those millions of Nigerians leaving the country are guaranteed reasonable job after school. Nigeria graduate are either jobless, doing POS or riding okada

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2023
Angelfrost:

Please, take correction and stop digging yourself into this hole!

You can be a sycophant without making a fool of yourself!

What fvcking correction are you talking about?

Make a point and stop oinking
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Angelfrost(m): 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2023
jydeskill1:
They can pay GBP15,000 just for one year but complain N200k is too much for a university education per session in Nigeria.

Also, Nigerians demand instant change and never ready to make sacrifices for gradual change.

I have faulted the average Nigerian's need for freebies... However, what have your leaders ever done to show them the way??!

What steps have been taken to cut back on the high costs of governance from state to federal??! Is that also the fault of the citizens??!

Are you not aware that this same Nigeria has one of the highest forms of wastage and embezzlement among leaders in democratic nations??!

Do we need to pretend that more than half of borrowed monies never get judiciously used for these people??!

Shall we talk about the percentage of monthly revenues being carted away from states like Lagos, Anambra, Kano, Jigawa, Rivers, etc??! Is that also the fault of the people??!

All you guys have ever done since APC took over in 2015 is blame and blame the citizens for being the main cause of the economic wreckage of the nation!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by kennyz247(m): 3:20pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Same ones paying million for oversees study? Did you see the data about the number of Nigerians that got student visa to UK ONLY?

If Nigerians can pay that much to study across the world, what makes you think they cannot afford high tuition in Nigeria! I am quite aware that it might be hard for some people, but with student loans, such can be achieved.

Our universities are in a sham, most living on old glory and have lost every standard. Like I said, if we want to raise the standard, students must pay their fair share
u are an idiot for making ds rational statement...
who among the poor can afford sending their children to overs for education.. which means from u're senseless comment, education is not for the poor Nigerians..
children from the poor need not to boarder going to university in Nigerian..
a country with 30k minimum wage wants her citizen to pay above 200k for tuition fee,no be juju be dat?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by OneCandleAway(f): 3:20pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

Your comment raised some issues. If you still relating the government with education, that sector will not move forward.

The universities being autonomous is the way to go. If we keep relating corruption with education, then the status quo will remain same. Let them stand and decide for themselves.

Tell him to leave it the education sector way it is for now and use the next 2 years yo stop corruption in govt sectors. Then the money saved to gradually fund education.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by occfx: 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2023
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by HonestJOE: 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2023
In Chinese, you-never-chi-chon-chin...
Bulabans are better now. At least they buy things cheaper....
😭
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Angelfrost(m): 3:21pm On Jun 30, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

What fvcking correction are you talking about?

Make a point and stop oinking

Negro... You have been corrected! Thank you!
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by MT: 3:22pm On Jun 30, 2023
OneCandleAway:

You're ignorant.

Poor or average people don't send their children abroad for bachelors. It's when those kids graduate hustle fir money and then they find their way abroad for masters where they pay the high tuition.

Also, abroad, the tuition fee locals pay is different from international. Education is heavily subsidies for local students, even some cases EU student also enjoy some form of subsidy. This is to encourage them to come to school. They will have payment plans of up to 5 or 8 installments for the same heavily subsidised tuition fee for local students.

Please pity the poor struggling to educate their children, the market woman, low income earner.e.t.c

The bolded have student loan to access as well in Nigeria.

International student fees pay for about 3 local students fee in the UK. UK is using their schools to generate foreign exchange despite most of the courses being rubbish.

When our universities are well.positioned, we will attract international students who will serve as another means of generating foreign exchanges

Nigeria cannot continue on the old paths and except changes we all scream for.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jun 30, 2023
OneCandleAway:

The guy you quoted has brain issues. They don't know abroad local students pay far far less compared to international students. The govt makes a sector of the economy vibrant to subsidise local students education.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 3:22pm On Jun 30, 2023
kennyz247:

u are an idiot for making ds rational statement...
who among the poor can afford sending their children to overs for education.. which means from u're senseless comment, education is not for the poor Nigerians..
children from the poor need not to boarder going to university in Nigerian..
a country with 30k minimum wage wants her citizen to pay above 200k for tuition fee,no be juju be dat?

University education is not mandatory. Don’t make it a right! Dont you know how most students make it to the university in advanced countries? But you rest assured that they of standard when they graduate.

You want us to keep sending kids to those cattle ranches we call universities, and same time blame those universities for not being up to standard.

You cannot have all.

1 Like

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by airsaylongcome: 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2023
GeneralDae:

Yes. A goof on his side.

He probably made that mistake of thinking then it was all corruption and the Jonathan Government was making excuses.

In 2015 he had retracted and was advising the Buhari Government to remove subsidy.

PO in Anambra raised school fees and even in his recent debates (like Atiku) doesn't believe in Government subsidy for University education but alternate sources of funding.

Right. Hats off to your acknowledgement that he made a wrong call. And yes he did change his position in 2015. But it would be argued that he changed that view because his party had gotten into power.

Again, I don't think (and haven't yet read) that PO is opposed to the removal of subsidy of Nigerian education. I'd be happy to read any recent comment he made that he is opposed to the removal of education subsidy.

If PO had won and had gone on this subsidy removal blitzkrieg, can you say that the current C-in-C (or even yourself) would have been in support of it?

4 Likes

Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 3:23pm On Jun 30, 2023
Angelfrost:

Negro... You have been corrected! Thank you!

And who gives for fvck or demanded your thanks?
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by cardoctor(m): 3:24pm On Jun 30, 2023
Go and get your PVC Students Loan.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Alliswell248: 3:24pm On Jun 30, 2023
MrColdsweat:
Nigerian youths must plan a protest against the cocaine sniffing creminal.

Nigerian youths don't take advise from Ipob miscreants.
We are wiser.
Re: Parents, Students Cry Out As Universities Hike Fees by Angelfrost(m): 3:24pm On Jun 30, 2023
OneCandleAway:

Tell him to leave it the education sector way it is for now and use the next 2 years yo stop corruption in govt sectors. Then the money saved to gradually fund education.

You are asking a fantastically corrupt fellow, who happens to be a key part of the corruption across Nigeria to do what??! Lol!!! grin

The best he can do is try and make the nation economically viable and stable so that their stealing can continue with less stress, even if it means further impoverishing the already dying citizens!

This is not a people-centered leadership!... This is CAPITALISM in its most ruthless forms!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Drop Your Utme Score, Department And School For An Advice / Anambra University Lecturer Falls In Class, Smashes Laptop To Demonstrate / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.