Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,015 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:18 AM

Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up (30619 Views)

See How I Made This Easy And Delicious Carrot Stew (pics And Video) / See How I prepared my stew as a single guy. / Carrot Jollof Rice: How To Prepare Jollof Rice With Carrot And No Tomatoes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by ManirBK: 8:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
Some housewives in the Federal Capital Territory(FCT), Abuja, have stopped using tomatoes for stew and other sauces over rise in cost.

The residents, who made this known in interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN), said they resorted to using garden eggplants and carrots for stew.

They said garden egg, called ganyen gauta in Hausa, igba in Yoruba and anyara in Igbo, could blend very well with rice in the same manner as tomatoes.

Others said they were exploring pumpkin, pawpaw or traditional soups like white soup and palm fruit soup popularly called banga in place of tomatoes stew.

Mrs Jumai Amodu, a mother of five, said a week without rice with tomatoes stew was unfulfilling for her and the family.

She said rice with stew was a regular on their menu, adding that “there is an unexplainable satisfaction that comes with taking cooked rice and stew.”

The mother of five, however, said with the scarcity and high cost of tomatoes, her family was exploring garden egg stew.

Amodu said, “since tomatoes became very expensive, we decided to use garden egg for stew and it is as sweet as tomato stew.

“The only major difference between garden egg stew and tomatoes stew is the colour. We also use pumpkin stew with rice sometimes and although it has its unique taste, it blends well with rice.”

Mrs Helen Omo, a businesswoman, said although tomatoes stew was an important recipe in almost all homes in Nigeria, its scarcity had made some Nigerians to think of alternatives.

“I went to the market yesterday to get some tomatoes for stew and a sizeable bushel, which costs between N2000 and N2500 was being sold for as much as N6500.

“I did not bother to haggle the price because it was way beyond my budget
,” she said.

Mr Chinedu, an entrepreneur, told NAN that he enjoyed taking rice with pepper soup or white soup.

The prices of all food stuff have gone up but that of tomatoes is outrageous probably because it is tomatoes off-season.

Besides being expensive, it is very scarce and as a result we decided to explore other recipes,
he said.

Umar Adamu, a tomatoes retailer in Nyanya market, said he has stopped retailing tomatoes for some days due to low patronage.

He said customers were not patronising him because of the high cost.”

Mrs Rukkaya Umar, Chief Executive Officer, Abraks Farm Produce Nigeria Limited, said the major reason for scarcity of tomatoes was high cost of fertiliser.

According to her, many tomato farmers do not grow it because they cannot afford fertiliser, adding that fertiliser was critical to its growth.

Umar also said reliance on seasonal farming was one of the reasons for the scarcity, adding that it was tomatoes off-season.

“Most farmers in Nigeria still do seasonal farming and that is contributing greatly to scarcity of farm produce particularly in their off-seasons,” she said.

NAN reports that a sizeable basket of tomatoes which hitherto sold for about N10,000 now sells for about N35,000 while big baskets cost more.

https://dailytrust.com/abuja-housewives-settle-for-carrot-stew-as-tomatoes-price-shoots-up/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by ManirBK: 8:02pm On Jul 03, 2023
It's more medicinal

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by God1000(m): 8:05pm On Jul 03, 2023
Some people make use of ripe pawpaw

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by abobote: 8:08pm On Jul 03, 2023
Carrot is more expensive than tomato

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by doggedfighter(f): 9:13pm On Jul 03, 2023
abobote:

You are very correct.

87 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by CodeTemplar: 9:16pm On Jul 03, 2023
They ve not started using ripe mango and pepper yet?
The pepper Tinubu want to show us is in form of lack of tomatoes.

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by ngwabuoy: 9:17pm On Jul 03, 2023
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by descarado: 9:18pm On Jul 03, 2023
You spend a lot making carrot stew than tomatoe stew. Bland if you don't season well. It finishes waaaay before tomatoe stew.
Heaven help you if it's not the sweat carrot.
If it's an alternative, believe me, Nigerians would have been making it.
Besides, tomato paste and loads of atadoro will do. Tomatoes have always been scarce at this time of the year till October since I was a kid in Nigeria.
Blame the worthless naira. Nothing new here.

58 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by Kobojunkie: 2:08am On Jul 04, 2023
ManirBK:
Some housewives in the Federal Capital
Territory(FCT), Abuja, have stopped using
tomatoes for stew and other sauces over
rise in cost.
The residents, who made this known in
interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria
(NAN), said they resorted to using garden
eggplants and carrots for stew.
They said garden egg, called ganyen gauta
in Hausa, igba in Yoruba and anyara in Igbo,
could blend very well with rice in the same
manner as tomatoes.
Others said they were exploring pumpkin,
pawpaw or traditional soups like white
soup and palm fruit soup popularly called
banga in place of tomatoes stew.

Tinubu holds maiden meeting with Service
Chiefs
Tinubu meets Shell Upstream Director, Kyari
at Aso Rock
Mrs Jumai Amodu, a mother of five, said a
week without rice with tomatoes stew was
unfulfilling for her and the family.
She said rice with stew was a regular on
their menu, adding that “there is an
unexplainable satisfaction that comes with
taking cooked rice and stew.”
The mother of five, however, said with the
scarcity and high cost of tomatoes, her
family was exploring garden egg stew.
Amodu said, “since tomatoes became very
expensive, we decided to use garden egg
for stew and it is as sweet as tomato stew.
“The only major difference between garden
egg stew and tomatoes stew is the colour.
We also use pumpkin stew with rice
sometimes and although it has its unique
taste, it blends well with rice.”
Mrs Helen Omo, a businesswoman, said although tomatoes stew was an important recipe in almost all homes in Nigeria, its scarcity had made some Nigerians to think of alternatives.i
Where is the recipe make we try am. undecided

1 Like

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by Chijeep(m): 11:15am On Jul 04, 2023
Nigerians will not cease to amaze person.
Always looking for alternative on the problems them put themselves into.
Same thing will come up if Tinubu colour starts to showcase.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by slawomir: 11:15am On Jul 04, 2023
Damnnn niggarrrr

Hahaha

Shege reloaded

Where are those archaic and primitive humans that keep on shouting it will favor me and my family ?

Please Nigerians don't pity any one in your street

Untill we stop stepping into the polling unit with sentiment and tribalism

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by ODUBEZE: 11:15am On Jul 04, 2023
ManirBK:

According to her, many tomato farmers do not grow it because they cannot afford fertiliser, adding that fertiliser was critical to its growth.

https://dailytrust.com/abuja-housewives-settle-for-carrot-stew-as-tomatoes-price-shoots-up/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm
APC growing the economy undecided grin grin

It's the south east sitting at home on Mondays that is their problem

They cannot even feed the ones not sitting at home grin

Tueh tueh tueh

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by marlow1962(m): 11:15am On Jul 04, 2023
Ok
Una go soo much settle, till you people can't settle anymore.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by sofeo(m): 11:15am On Jul 04, 2023
Alright

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by Flame333: 11:15am On Jul 04, 2023
Just to let you know there was a time when tradermoni was used to bride Nigerians
Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by Kharol1234: 11:15am On Jul 04, 2023
Which one be Abuja housewives?

Omo na everybody no be only Abuja housewife even Lagos housewives, Sound housewives Delta housewives. E.t.c some na vegetable them they take cook some only sachet tomato and crayfish..

1 Like

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by marvellous2222: 11:16am On Jul 04, 2023
Apc have turn this country upsidedown.. suffering season one loading

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by NOwazobia: 11:16am On Jul 04, 2023
In Nigeria, the inability to afford the usual, makes weird alternative medicinal, healthy and rich. grin

In essence, the poor have been living and eating healthy and rich, while the rich have been eating poorly. cheesy

The poor must have hated good health, and good food for them to be striving to become rich. 🤣😆

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by bewla(m): 11:16am On Jul 04, 2023
D
Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by Haveyoueatentod: 11:16am On Jul 04, 2023
Me na Tomato paste stew that's the way forward now and I mostly cook tomato paste jollof rice

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by moneyissweet(m): 11:17am On Jul 04, 2023
Una go see shege for that shit hole grin
Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by INTEGRITYA1(m): 11:17am On Jul 04, 2023
Okay

1 Like

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by ManWater: 11:17am On Jul 04, 2023
Someone likened the efforts of Tinubu's Govt to treatment of Cancer. That the treatment is initially very painful.

The critical questions are:
1. Will Nigerians survive the treatment pain?
2. How long will the treatment last?
3. Were Nigerians not living a better life with the Cancer?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by landmark86: 11:17am On Jul 04, 2023
Suffering pro max
Nigeria always adapting to situation
Is only in Nigeria people will tell you that ponmo (cow skin) is more nutricious than meat.

3 Likes

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by FatherFIG01(m): 11:17am On Jul 04, 2023
Good iniative

1 Like

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by Emola12(m): 11:18am On Jul 04, 2023
abobote:
dey play
Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by DeltaOil: 11:18am On Jul 04, 2023
We warned that Tinubu na Buhari ProMax, una no wan hear

Well una don see am.

By the time Tinubu has finished his short stint as fraudulently sworn in president, Nigerians would celebrate his removal by the courts.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by MykellOni(m): 11:19am On Jul 04, 2023
Attendance: Present ✔️
My question is simply what makes the tomatoes expensive? This country ehn, no be only govt dey do us.., we dey follow do ourselves join

5 Likes

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by TruthinAction: 11:19am On Jul 04, 2023
But the price of satchet tomatoes hasn't changed. So, why not go for it and add lots of fresh pepper. It will produce a very tasty stew.

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by Cassandraloius: 11:19am On Jul 04, 2023
I use coconut milk instead and also use curry to prepare chicken curry or goat meat curry and lastly pepper soup/Banga stew.
Man must survive! wink

Tomato 🍅 is now the new expensive guy. grin

Kindly check my signature.☺️🙏
Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by WEALTHYLADYTIME(f): 11:20am On Jul 04, 2023
I THANK GOD THAT THE POOR ECONOMY WILL NOT AFFECT ME,

BUT ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP THE POOR TO SURVIVE IS A GOOD ONE.

JESUS IS LORD

WEALTH IS GOOD.
Re: Abuja Housewives Settle For Carrot Stew As Tomatoes Price Shoots Up by nairalee(m): 11:20am On Jul 04, 2023
till one day headline will be:

NIGERIANS NOW EAT GRASS AS ALTERNATIVE TO SALAD

Tinubu has made Nigerians start experimenting many cheaper alternatives

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Chokes To Death During Eating Contest On Christmas Day In Uganda / How To Make Doya Da Kwia, A Northern Nigerian Street Food (Photos, Video) / How To Prepare Chicken Currry Sauce (Ingredient, Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.