Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,525 members, 7,837,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu (19455 Views)

Why Buhari Put Petrol Subsidy, Forex Unification On Hold – Garba Shehu / We’re On Standby To Ensure Tinubu Is Sworn In As President – Nigerian Military / Atiku Gaining Momentum, Obi Still On Track, Tinubu Is Sliding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Quincy10: 7:16pm On Jul 04, 2023
Brendaniel:
That was how Buhari and his supporters claimed they were on track till Nigeria started owing 77 trillion, now Tinubu has started his own track record with his supporters as back up...

We are still telling them...

Anyway Nigeria's debt will favour me and my family....
Tinubu told them he will continue from where buhari stop yet them still vote am enter seat
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by nairalanda1(m): 7:16pm On Jul 04, 2023
Tianamen1:

You are always on the wrong side of every argument. In economics, there are two branches: microeconomics which deals with individual wealth (market women issues) and macroeconomics, which deals with national wealth and collective growth (government issues).
Like most people, you are an expert in microeconomics but lack an understanding of macroeconomics.

The government needs to tax imported goods are housing and not traders and businesses. Tinubu is leading Nigeria to a very BIG RECESSION.

Thanks. I know I am an oppressor. Good evening.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jul 04, 2023
SangoOlukosoOba:

You have a right to your opinion. You own it.

i dont dispute that...but there is a difference between opinions and facts.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Angelfrost(m): 7:18pm On Jul 04, 2023
IamAtAnger:
I believe that even the lame man knows clearly that you and I are the government... humans especially in country like Nigeria with various ethnicities is a major problem to deal with.. one needs to trade with caution and be Even to deal discreetly as a leader of this entity. In our various clan/families we know that politics exists not to talk of

Bro... We have spent more than half of our Independence and almost all of our democracy making up excuses for elected leaders, and acting like Leadership is more difficult than it truly is! Please, give this mindset up!

What I outlined there is actually easier than you have been raised to believe!

Countries like Singapore, China, America, Luxembourg, etc, don't have citizens or people created differently from Nigerians! They got to where they are through awesome and people-centered leadership! This can be replicated here!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by erico2k2(m): 7:18pm On Jul 04, 2023
Basicend:

You speak Grammer bruv. . Stop deceiving ur funny soul. . These thieving gangsters will.not drop a single dollar in FG bag or whatever you call. . This is Nigeria not UK. . Okay. .
What grammar? Well then, the BAT man is chatting shyte then.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Reference(m): 7:19pm On Jul 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

I respectfully disagree

The problem is, Nigeria does not have enough money. And oil is no longer producing enough cash to sustain us, and hasn't for decades. Our population is large, and our tax to gdp ratio is low.

And our productive capacity is hindered by bad power, which is hindered by discos and gencos not being able to raise enough cash to fix power.

And I also respectfully disagree with you with the facts that,

Until Nigeria operates the FOI Act without equivocation to thoroughly x-ray public finances from income to expenditure in the most transparent and accountable manner.

Until the preparation and execution of the Federal Budget is made to tally with the true position of our income and expenditure addresses our express developmental needs and NO MORE,

Until the overbloated, inefficient government apparatus is constituted with the efficiency of the private sector and the cost of administering this country is fixed at a set percentage of our income and NO MORE, such that lavish and ostentatious living amongst top civil servants and politicians is ground to a halt.....

Then I will never accept that Nigeria does not have enough money. For we can all pretend and join government to live a lie. Leadership is not more important than the citizens, period.

They say Nigeria is broke and Nigerians should live an austere life but not them.

4 trillion will be saved over the next 12 months. That is enough to make a substantial difference in the finances of Nigeria and enough to kick start any developmental program. They don't need to draw more blood from the fainting citizens in the form of taxes. Let us see what will be done with the trillions saved first.

I have never seen a developing or aspiring country where government is many times larger than the rest of the country. Here government commandeers every single resource out of the ground, out of the air and out of the minds of the citizens yet is relinquishing almost every corporate responsibility is has. Where is all the money going.

3 Likes

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by nairalanda1(m): 7:20pm On Jul 04, 2023
Reference:

And I also respectfully disagree with you with the facts that,

Until Nigeria operates the FOI Act without equivocation to thoroughly x-ray public finances from income to expenditure in the most transparent and accountable manner.

Until the preparation and execution of the Federal Budget is made to tally with the true position of our income and expenditure addresses our express developmental needs and NO MORE,

Until the overbloated, inefficient government apparatus is constituted with the efficiency of the private sector and the cost of administering this country is fixed at a set percentage of our income and NO MORE, such that lavish and ostentatious living amongst top civil servants and politicians is ground to a halt.....

Then I will never accept that Nigeria does not have enough money. For we can all pretend and join government to live a lie. Leadership is not more important than the citizens, period.

They say Nigeria is broke and Nigerians should live an austere life but not them.

4 trillion will be saved over the next 12 months. That is enough to make a substantial difference in the finances of Nigeria and enough to kick start any developmental program. They don't need to draw more blood from the fainting citizens in the form of taxes. Let us see what will be done with the trillions saved first.

I have never seen a developing or aspiring country where government is many times larger than the rest of the country. Here government commandeers every single resource out of the ground, out of the air and out of the minds of the citizens yet is relinquishing almost every corporate responsibility is has. Where is all the money going.

Actually, we don't have enough money.

With a tax to gdp ratio of 10.86% , and an economy reliant on oil, plus looting after the fact.....

That's how bad it is.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jul 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

Ah, you see why I don't discuss politics outside.

The harsh truth is, I know Nigerians are poor, and I know that they would suffer under a harsh tax regimen

But I also know, and it pains me a lot, that we use oil money for far too many things in this country, that oil money is not enough, that the looting makes things worse, and that at the end of the day, if we bring back subsides, and refuse to find ways to improve our tax to gdp ratio...we would eventually be in so much debt that we would suffer. And we would run out of money , and then things would get worse.

Production when power companies are charging cheap tarrifs.?

But my opinion does not matter. I am not in government, I am not even part of the leadership, and it does not matter anyway. We are poor.

Anyway, that's life.

I'm even upset that I have to pay more for fuel. It is sad. But at the end, the alternative is a nightmare I don't want you, or anyone else on this site to experience.

Good evening. I'm an oppressor after all. I am evil. Thanks. I get it.

There's no where in any of my responses to you where I labelled you an oppressor or evil, neither did I insinuate anything of the likes, my good friend.

Summary of all the words I've been typing to you is, the Nigerian public cannot afford to be taxed anymore than it already is, at least not right now.

There are a dozen and one other ways around things but our leaders always seek the easy ways out, not minding what adverse effects those ways will have on the ordinary masses.

I can tell you for free that people are on the precipice of rage at this point. Any slight provocation is going to amount to reactions of catastrophic and cataclysmic proportions. And the last thing we need is to use hunger as a tool to push people into acts of criminality. The outcome won't be funny!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Confirm4real(m): 7:23pm On Jul 04, 2023
Buhari promax...

We warned them about APC grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by IamAtAnger: 7:24pm On Jul 04, 2023
Well my take in all of these is that the social media has been so effective and that's a win for us the masses.. we can't be involved in wars or distractions, I believe it's not like the way it use to be, anyone that is taking that mantle now knows the pressure and will be willing to live up to positive expectations.. we're getting there gradually. Bigotry is toxic to growth of any nation.. some evil people are using it as a means for their selfish motives.. let's be wise
Angelfrost:

Bro... We have spent more than half of our Independence and almost all of our democracy making up excuses for elected leaders, and acting like Leadership is more difficult than it truly is! Please, give this mindset up!

What I outlined there is actually easier than you have been raised to believe!

Countries like Singapore, China, America, Luxembourg, etc, don't have citizens or people created differently from Nigerians! They got to where they are through awesome and people-centered leadership! This can be replicated here!

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Burob: 7:25pm On Jul 04, 2023
Angelfrost:

More incoherent trash...!

What I do on social media is done by serious people in every nation! Political critique is as old as man! The fact that it irritates or offends your sensibility says a lot about your mindset and maturity!

By the way... You are actually the one Lamenting and foaming like a rabid dog!

Please, bring forth something intelligible and objective, or desist from wasting my time! Thanks.
Nothing offends me, other than the level of frustration you are exhibiting in speech.

Just be wailing as if anyone owes you lazy Almijiri anything, you better get with the program.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by ajadematanle: 7:29pm On Jul 04, 2023
who says the merging of FX markets is not advantageous. I logged into my GTBank online platform and saw a notice that I could sell or buy FX. I clicked the tab of FX transactions and saw a provision to sell at N768/$ and buy at N769/$ . This is even better than selling to mallam. I tried with $200 and got N153,600 credit to my naira account. The banks will have more FX from their numerous customers. The parallel market will struggle with liquidity because its been funded by individual who will at convenience of their home concludes fx transactions with peace of mind
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Angelfrost(m): 7:30pm On Jul 04, 2023
Burob:
Nothing offends me, other than the level of frustration you are exhibiting in speech.

Just be wailing as if anyone owes you lazy Almijiri anything, you better get with the program.

Getting offended is your choice, sir...! It really is none of my business!

Just take your life frustrations and offenses away from my mentions! Thank you.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by nairalanda1(m): 7:31pm On Jul 04, 2023
Tianamen1:

Oppressor Hell no. You are just really dull. You are preparing your own deathbed.

Thanks. Nice to know you think I am dull

Grow up.

Modifed

I have taken the liberty of reporting you to the moderators. This is not the first time you have been abusive to me. At the end of the day, this was the last straw.

Whatever your feelings are about any economic situation, don't copy me, and let them dominate your mindset.

Again good evening, and if you abuse me again, I will report you.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by ajadematanle: 7:32pm On Jul 04, 2023
who says the merging of FX markets is not advantageous. I logged into my GTBank online platform and saw a notice that I could sell or buy FX. I clicked the tab of FX transactions and saw a provision to sell at N768/$ and buy at N769/$ . This is even better than selling to mallam. I tried with $200 and got N153,600 credit to my naira account
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by ajadematanle: 7:33pm On Jul 04, 2023
The banks will have more FX from their numerous customers. The parallel market will struggle with liquidity because its been funded by individual who will at convenience of their home concludes fx transactions with peace of mind
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Starpro87(m): 7:33pm On Jul 04, 2023
One thing I like Tinubu for is that he is never moved by the reactions and responses of people.
Who don enter don enter finish.

1 Like

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by nairalanda1(m): 7:34pm On Jul 04, 2023
Buddha3:

There's no where in any of my responses to you where I labelled you an oppressor or evil, neither did I insinuate anything of the likes, my good friend.

Summary of all the words I've been typing to you is, the Nigerian public cannot afford to be taxed anymore than it already is, at least not right now

There are a dozen and one other ways around things but our leaders always seek the easy ways out, not minding what adverse effects those ways will have on the ordinary masses.

I can tell you for free that people are on the precipice of rage at this point. Any slight provocation is going to amount to reactions of catastrophic and cataclysmic proportions. And the last thing we need is to use hunger as a tool to push people into acts of criminality. The outcome won't be funny!

I know all that, yet at the end the same populaiton wants what the West has...without the sacrifice.

At the end, it isn't possible.

But pointing that out, gets me labelled oppressor, and gets me told that I would be beaten up if I speak in public.

Anyway, no danger of that happening. I keep my counsel.

But the truth is, we are a poor naiton. Development starts by accepting that. It is no excuse of bad governance, it is an acceptance that we need to start from that, and do something.

Or we can take another loan, and keep pretending till it gets too bad.

I have spoken enough for tonight.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by CodeTemplar: 7:58pm On Jul 04, 2023
SmartyPants:

Aggressive taxation does not stop production provided there are production-friendly monetary policies in place and a stable operating environment.

You mean like agberos taxing workers or bandits levying farmers?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by SmartyPants(m): 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2023
CodeTemplar:
You mean like agberos taxing workers or bandits levying farmers?

Is that what the news on this thread is about?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jul 04, 2023
lexy2014:

unfortunately, that hasnt answered the questions.

who are the "sensible people all over the world" all over the world that are applauding his ideas?

how have Tinubus ideas made life better for nigerians since may 29, 2023?

If your heart was not darkened by hate and your mind pinned by venom you would know that no administration in the whole wide world is judged by its performance in the first 30 days of its term. That's the reason new governments are judged by the first 100 DAYS in the US, the bastion of democracy. Why must you jam a moving train because of Tinubu matter? Pity your aged parents now, Eboe partisan. Now, you may take that as friendly warning.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 04, 2023
Lutherblaq:
Mr President, with all due respect you have absolutely done nothing, with all you have done since you resume office as our leader you have been acting worse than the ex president buhari.

If your heart was not darkened by hate and your mind pinned by venom you would know that no administration in the whole wide world is judged by its performance in the first 30 days of its term. That's the reason new governments are judged by the first 100 DAYS in the US, the bastion of democracy. Why must you jam a moving train because of Tinubu matter? Pity your aged parents now, Eboe partisan. Now, you may take that as friendly warning.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by CodeTemplar: 8:41pm On Jul 04, 2023
SmartyPants:

Is that what the news on this thread is about?
is your brain on sabbatical?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by SmartyPants(m): 8:46pm On Jul 04, 2023
CodeTemplar:
is your brain on sabbatical?

Should be asking yourself?

What reasonable person would bring in bandits and agberos when discussing proposed tax reforms and their impact on the economy?

When you pick your sense back from where you kept it, let me know.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Quebec91(m): 9:09pm On Jul 04, 2023
cheesy cheesy
Lutherblaq:
Mr President, with all due respect you have absolutely done nothing, with all you have done since you resume office as our leader you have been acting worse than the ex president buhari.

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Reference(m): 9:12pm On Jul 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

Actually, we don't have enough money.

With a tax to gdp ratio of 10.86% , and an economy reliant on oil, plus looting after the fact.....

That's how bad it is.

You don't seem to get it.
The Nigerian citizen has no more income to be taxed.
The Nigerian citizen is presently being over leveraged for the failure of governance and should resist any more subsidy for bad governance. And here you are bandying figures of whatever....

We have accepted that fuel subsidy should go because the government cannot secure our borders to prevent gasoline going to our neighbors while the State pays a huge amount to finance the Customs Service.

We have accepted that fuel subsidy should go because government cannot clean up its books with persistent over invoicing and subsidy theft and has not brought a single person to book despite losing trillions to graft.

We have accepted that naira subsidies have to go because government through its agency, the CBN cannot keep its filthy hands off pilfering our dollar income and washing it at massive losses through villainous third parties for a profit popularly called round tripping.

We the citizens are paying for lack of good corporate governance, lack of political will, lack of functional institutions, lack of security and a dysfunctional criminal justice system deterrent.

I repeat again. Exactly what is the SUCCESSFUL FUNCTION OF GOVERNMENT in Nigeria. What are they doing well to further this country when the citizens are PAYING FOR EVERYTHING directly as you want from taxes or indirectly as we have accepted to scrape out a living without subsidies.

Oga, WHAT IS GOVERNMENT DOING FOR NIGERIA in the real sense of it.
The removal of subsidies IS TAXATION. For the countries you are apt to compare all have effective social programs which in truth are indirect tax breaks. Government takes from the richer to aid the poorer. Here government takes from everyone and gives nothing. In fact they are even giving us their jobs, their responsibilities on top. Haba.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Exceed15: 9:22pm On Jul 04, 2023
They said they believe they are on track.. lol
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Exceed15: 9:25pm On Jul 04, 2023
Obaofaba:
That's my president talking.

An Accountant who graduated with first class can't be compared to a quota system ex custom boss cum vice president nor can he be compared to a Pandora super star 🌟.

Bola Tinubu is the best to happen to this generation of Nigeria!!!

Trying so hard to market a bad product... Lol
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by Reference(m): 9:28pm On Jul 04, 2023
nairalanda1:

I know all that, yet at the end the same populaiton wants what the West has...without the sacrifice.

At the end, it isn't possible.

But pointing that out, gets me labelled oppressor, and gets me told that I would be beaten up if I speak in public.

Anyway, no danger of that happening. I keep my counsel.

But the truth is, we are a poor naiton. Development starts by accepting that. It is no excuse of bad governance, it is an acceptance that we need to start from that, and do something.

Or we can take another loan, and keep pretending till it gets too bad.

I have spoken enough for tonight.

And I am telling you this and you can bookmark it.
Without cleaning up its act you can tax the Nigerian citizen 100 percent of his paltry, shameful income (N30,000 or 40 dollars per month or $1.33 cents a day or 17 cents per hour..... minimum wage which is just disgusting), it will still not shift the developmental needle one bit if Nigeria continues with its lack of transparency, ridiculous budget templates and villainous theft in execution.

The Nigerian government can collect all the money on earth, as long as it does not reform itself Nigeria will develop as fast as a drum can be filled by fetching water with a wicker basket.

All you will be hearing is the billions and trillions this Minister and that DG and that Perm Sec has stolen, never to be recovered.
All you will be hearing is this Contractor and that Consultant who could not afford three square meals prior is now on the Forbes Rich List.
This has been our unending experiences since the British left and until Mr. Buhari followed to London and all the antecedents left with us today in the name of government are exactly alike and have started on the same wasteful and corrupt note.

I refuse to be blackmailed by a government completely lacking the moral right to ask for more.
So they are free to use coercion.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by labelle123(f): 9:33pm On Jul 04, 2023
Brendaniel:
That was how Buhari and his supporters claimed they were on track till Nigeria started owing 77 trillion, now Tinubu has started his own track record with his supporters as back up...

We are still telling them...

Anyway Nigeria's debt will favour me and my family....
. The meme hahahaha
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal, Forex Unification: We’re On Track – Tinubu by lexy2014: 9:36pm On Jul 04, 2023
Okealaaye:

unfortunately, that hasnt answered the questions.

who are the "sensible people all over the world" all over the world that are applauding his ideas?

how have Tinubus ideas made life better for nigerians since may 29, 2023?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

#ZabarmariMassacre; Boko Haram Killed 110 Nigerian Farmers - United Nations / Prof. Stella Effah-Attoe: I Have Been Sidelined - PDP Woman Leader Cries Out / Breaking : Multiple Suicide Bombing In Yobe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.