Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,331 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:25 AM

Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko (21935 Views)

Otudeko Vs. Otedola: First Bank Shareholders Lose ₦‎80.76bn, Shares Crumble / Otudeko Buys ₦‎87.8bn Shares To Become Largest First Bank Shareholder With 14% / Emefiele: Oba Otudeko Rebuffed My Pleas On First Bank Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Islie: 7:13am On Jul 11, 2023
By Taofik Salako,

Last week’s acquisition of a major equity stake in FBN Holdings by the Otudekos has stirred more controversies with a judgment creditor alleging that the acquisition was a clever ploy to divert funds and frustrate payment of about N14 billion debt.

In a letter addressed to FBN Holdings Plc through its lawyer, ‘Kunle Ogunba & Associates, Ecobank Nigeria Limited called on FBN Holdings to stay action and not accord any rights to the acquired shares.

It alleged that the share purchase was a ploy by Mr. Oba Otudeko to frustrate a Supreme Court judgment in the bank’s favour.

Ecobank Nigeria, a member of Ecobank Transnational Incorporated (ETI) Plc, which is also quoted on the Nigerian Exchange (NGX), stated that the Supreme Court had in its judgment on January 27, 2023, in Appeal No SC/CV/210/2021 affirmed the indebtedness of several companies related to Otudeko and ordered the companies to pay their indebtedness to the bank.

The total indebtedness was calculated at N13.51 billion as of January 31, 2023.

The related companies included Honeywell Group Limited, Siloam Global Services Limited, Anchorage Leisures Limited, Honeywell Flour Mills Plc and Dr. Oba Otudeko.

Ecobank alleged that Barbican Capital, which last week acquired 13.3 per cent or 4.77 billion shares in FBN Holdings, was “hurriedly incorporated after the judgment of the Supreme Court, specifically on the 9th day of March 2023, as part of active steps by Otudeko to divert his personal funds and assets, and those of the debtor companies away from paying the judgment sum.”

The bank alleged that Otudeko, who has a beneficial interest in the companies, personally guaranteed the loans in question.

Barbican Capital has Otudeko’s children – Oyeleye Foluke and Otudeko Obafemi Adedamola – as main owners.

Obafemi Otudeko is the Managing Director of Honeywell Group Limited and is also a non-executive director of Anchorage Leisures Ltd.

Oyeleye sits on the board of NGX Regulation Limited, the self-regulatory organisation (SRO) for the NGX, where FBN Holdings, ETI and Honeywell Flour Mills are quoted.

“Consequent upon the foregoing crystalised facts, it is beyond doubt that the actions being taken by Dr. Oba Otudeko are targeted at diverting his assets and that of the Honeywell Group of companies through the said Barbican Capital Limited, in order to frustrate the enforcement of the judgment of the Supreme Court against him and the Honeywell companies, towards recovering his/their undisputed indebtedness to our client.

“We, therefore, demand that you respectfully stay/reject the approval/consent/registration/ratification, howsoever described and in whatever manner, of the shares bought by the said Barbican Capital Limited held via the afforested entities.

“Proceeding with such approval/registration will be tantamount to assisting in the diversion of funds and assets meant for the payment of the debt which has been affirmed by the Supreme Court, same being a flagrant violation of the extant judgment of the Supreme Court and which has effectively determined the outstanding indebtedness between the Honeywell Group and our client, Ecobank Nigeria Limited,” the letter stated.

A senior capital market operator said the Otudekos’ shares acquisition may be a subject of an investigation by Nigeria’s apex capital market regulator, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), “to find why keeping the shares in proxies all that period”.

The Nation had reported exclusively that the single largest individual equity stake in FBN Holdings by Mr. Oba Otudeko’s Barbican Capital Limited was in a state of technical suspension until the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) determines the propriety of such acquisition.

Multiple sources had said the apex bank would subject the material acquisition to scrutiny in line with the apex bank’s “fit and proper” rules.

Nigeria’s apex capital market regulator, SEC, and Nigerian Exchange (NGX) also traditionally review material transactions such as Barbican Capital’s acquisition.

FBN Holdings at the weekend confirmed that Barbican Capital, an affiliate of Otudeko’s Honeywell Group Limited, had acquired about 4.77 billion ordinary shares in the holding group, representing 13.3 per cent of the group’s 35.9 billion issued shares.

https://thenationonlineng.net/ecobank-writes-firstbank-over-otudeko/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by TemplarLandry: 7:14am On Jul 11, 2023
Let the man breef.
He'll pay up for sure.
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Kudman: 7:26am On Jul 11, 2023
Ok
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by AVECDEO: 8:06am On Jul 11, 2023
4.77 billion share multiplied by 22.5 naira per share will equal to 107 Billion Naira.

I'd have paid off the 15 Billion sharply and cut my losses rather than have the whole world poking noses into my business.

Now he has the court and all the regulatory bodies looking into his accounts to the glaring of the whole world...it's somewhat embarrassing.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by abibox02: 8:17am On Jul 11, 2023
K
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by pacino26(m): 8:17am On Jul 11, 2023
EcoBank should sell the debt to LAPO or PalmPay cheesy grin grin

I knew this was gunna come up. Oba don’t just want to pay

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Candidlady: 8:19am On Jul 11, 2023
pacino26:
EcoBank should sell the debt to LAPO or PalmPay cheesy grin grin

I knew this was gunna come up. Oba don’t just want to pay

🤣 😂
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by TinubuGoQuench(f): 3:50pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ecobank should stop deducting money illegally from my account.

2 Likes

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by oluwaseyi0: 3:51pm On Jul 11, 2023
see how easy it is for the rich to keep getting richer mostly using fradulent means beyond the reach of the masses

if a graduate present a business idea to same bank for funding they will ask for all his generations properties as collateral before giving loan of 2m yet the rich keep getting uncollaterized loans and squandering it

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by sonnie10: 3:52pm On Jul 11, 2023
But what is his reason for not wanting to pay?

If there is specific collateral for the loan, Ecobank has no other option beyond what both parties agreed upon.
A business is an entity, and loan obligations is squarely the responsibility of that entity and not the liability of another individual.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by adebayo201: 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2023
AVECDEO:
4.77 billion share multiplied by 22.5 naira per share will equal to 107 Billion Naira.

I'd have paid off the 15 Billion sharply and cut my losses rather than have the whole world poking noses into my business.

Now he has the court and all the regulatory bodies looking into his accounts to the glaring of the whole world...it's somewhat embarrassing.

Good analysis... May this administration favour your and your family. 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

10 Likes

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by treatise: 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2023
AVECDEO:

If greed is inherent in your DNA nko? cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by PHIPEX(m): 3:53pm On Jul 11, 2023
Fraud everywhere
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Chibuzoripob: 3:54pm On Jul 11, 2023
T

1 Like

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Angel55555(m): 3:54pm On Jul 11, 2023
Otudeko is a smart man, he appointed his two children as directors to frustrate the payment. Sadly, the company might be the one to pay for it.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by WEALTHYLADYTIME(f): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2023
BANK ISSUES,

TRANSACTION TRANSACTIONS ISSUES.

JESUS IS LORD.

WEALTH IS GOOD.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by emekajacobogbon(m): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2023
The wealthy ones also owe, then where's the wealth?
Peace of mind is a wealth of it own

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Ituneth(m): 3:55pm On Jul 11, 2023
Can you imagine, criminal thieves everywhere

1 Like

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Quebec91(m): 3:57pm On Jul 11, 2023
cheesy
oluwaseyi0:
see how easy it is for the rich to keep getting richer mostly using fradulent means beyond the reach of the masses

if a graduate present a business idea to same bank for funding they will ask for all his generations properties as collateral before giving loan of 2m yet the rich keep getting uncollaterized loans and squandering it

3 Likes

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Ewedegubbler: 3:57pm On Jul 11, 2023
Ronuists at war. e no concern me

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Chibuzoripob: 3:57pm On Jul 11, 2023
angry make Dey sha nor ground FBN with their grand THIEVERY
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by rajiedreez: 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2023
Good, if first bank should accept this man they're joking with their organization, after what he did to them earlier

2 Likes

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by MykellOni(m): 4:01pm On Jul 11, 2023
Attendance: Absent ✖️
I'm only here to read comments, lemme run and get 2bottles
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by makavalley(m): 4:03pm On Jul 11, 2023
Person thief bread dem kill am me while other people dey divert, embezzle billions dey go court

2 Likes

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by STEWpid(f): 4:08pm On Jul 11, 2023
Chai..

War among the thick voices!

Everyone is using brain.

1 Like

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by ShenTeh(m): 4:08pm On Jul 11, 2023
Its a capitalist market. ETI should stop whining like a child whose toy has been taken from him.

Once you are listed, you run the risk of someone from nowhere buying you up. This is why many reserve their shares.
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by harsysky(m): 4:09pm On Jul 11, 2023
[s][/s]
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by ClassicMan202(m): 4:10pm On Jul 11, 2023
Rich men and greed are inseparable..... Just pay your debts

Peace of mind is really under-rated
Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by SalamRushdie: 4:10pm On Jul 11, 2023
Otudeko is becoming a notorious onigbese after all the good name he earned over the years

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by Bizibi(m): 4:15pm On Jul 11, 2023
Was it not this same man that fbnh loaned his company more that 40 billions without collateral.....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ecobank Writes Firstbank Over Otudeko by fof1: 4:22pm On Jul 11, 2023
AVECDEO:

They hold that, anything goes in Nigeria and no CONSEQUENCE...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Guide on writing for profit using iwriter. / How To Protect Your Credit Cards / ATM When Shopping Online / Bank Of America Urges Nigeria To Hike Interest Rate To 25.5% To Curb Inflation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.