Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,493 members, 7,812,529 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:49 PM

Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord (33979 Views)

My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Kirchoffs: 9:06am On Jul 13, 2023
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by gaby(m): 9:12am On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I don’t know if we are programmed to suffer in this country because I honestly cannot understand why things are so freaking expensive for God’s sake. I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for more than 2years and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house . I have just 2fans and a television set. I am just so angry right now cos am about to spend another 7k again. This is crazy what sort of Government is this for crying out loud.

I may have to bypass my meter very soon, cos I cannot be paying 15k for Nepa light only.

It will favor us.....

150 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by visaclick: 9:25am On Jul 13, 2023
Renewed hope my bro, tighten your seat belt.
Update!!!

Hope you voted tinubu also grin

128 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by oweniwe(m): 10:10am On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

I have just 2fans and a television set. I am just so angry right now cos am about to spend another 7k again. This is crazy what sort of Government is this for crying out loud.

Switch to rechargeable fans and lights

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ahnie: 10:38am On Jul 13, 2023
gaby:

It will favor us.....
And our families too oniovo

87 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by jmoore(m): 11:08am On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I don’t know if we are programmed to suffer in this country because I honestly cannot understand why things are so freaking expensive for God’s sake. I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for more than 2years and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house . I have just 2fans and a television set. I am just so angry right now cos am about to spend another 7k again. This is crazy what sort of Government is this for crying out loud.

I may have to bypass my meter very soon, cos I cannot be paying 15k for Nepa light only.
You didn't state how many kwh units you bought.
7,000 naira worth of electricity won't finish quickly with those appliances you listed. Someone is probably tapping electricity from your apartment/meter.

57 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Klass99(f): 11:38am On Jul 13, 2023

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Kirchoffs: 11:49am On Jul 13, 2023
Klass99:

How long did you expect 7k worth of power units to last with 23-24 hours of regular power supply? Do you not iron your clothes as well? Ironing draws power too. Look at the value you get from constant power supply and don't stress so much about the cost.

Not to rain on your parade but 28th June to 12th July is exactly 15 days, 7k power for 15 days is not bad at all if you ask me. I am trying to monitor my power consumption to ascertain how many units 10 to 20k provides and how long it lasts based on my usage. I haven't figured it out properly yet but I am getting there. I loaded 10k on the 29th of June and today the 13th of July my meter is blinking red and indicating I am low on units.

I'm guessing I may need 20 to 25 or 30k worth of units to conveniently take me through a whole month because I like to use AC and I don't mind the cost because my quality of life tremendously improved when I moved to my current location. I remember being so stressed and frustrated at a previous accomodation that I would sit back at the office after work hours, dreading going home because I knew I was going back to darkness and no water. Without power water couldn't be pumped and that was a constant occurence at that accommodation, as tenants we banded together to find a solution.......but mehn those are not days I want to ever go back to.

This money we stress and worry about will not follow us to the grave so my practice in life is to spend it on the things that add value to me and bring joy into my heart. If you are getting value for your money close your eyes and enjoy that value/benefit. And one more thing it helps when you buy units and load your meter with a bulk sum like 15k as against 7k. If you can, don't break it up into small bits. I understand things are rough now and we may need to spread money out to meet other needs, but we can decide what matters and what to prioritize.
Sister I don’t have refrigerator in my house and I also don’t use Pressing iron at all.

4 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Klass99(f): 12:00pm On Jul 13, 2023

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Purvan(m): 12:02pm On Jul 13, 2023
Try bypass mek them catch you

Your name go be sorry

Better go and buy kerosene lamp in case you no get lite

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by MrKingsv: 12:28pm On Jul 13, 2023
The reason why you pay that much is because your electricity region is under service band A (They enjoy minimum of 20hrs/day).

Your unit cost per Kilowatt is usually BTW 68.61 naira to 76.20 naira....This band is very expensive but you are guaranteed constant electricity....

Other persons may recharge similar amount like you did but would get more Units because their transformer may be sourcing power from other lower service bands (B -E). But then, they would not enjoy similar light availability/duration

62 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by gaby(m): 1:46pm On Jul 13, 2023
ahnie:

And our families too oniovo

grin

2 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by baaliyah(m): 2:05pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.

If PHCN takes 60 percent to service your debt, that leaves you with 40 percent which is N2800.
You mean 2800 is too much for almost two weeks of regular power supply.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ChybuzzDD(m): 2:14pm On Jul 13, 2023
baaliyah:

If PHCN takes 60 percent to service your debt, that leaves you with 40 percent which is N2800.
You mean 2800 is too much for almost two weeks of regular power supply.

None of you were able to address his main issue.

If it were you, would you be happy paying for debts you didn't incur??

@OP: It's the duty of the landlord to offset the debts incurred by his previous tenants.

Liaise with him on the best way to follow it.
One of the ways involves substracting the total expenses you incur in 1yr from the next annual rent.
It is not your responsibility to pay the debts and should never accept that.

99 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by jmoore(m): 3:23pm On Jul 13, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

None of you were able to address his main issue.

If it were you, would you be happy paying for debts you didn't incur??

@OP: It's the duty of the landlord to offset the debts incurred by his previous tenants.

Liaise with him on the best way to follow it.
One of the ways involves substracting the total expenses you incur in 1yr from the next annual rent.
It is not your responsibility to pay the debts and should never accept that.
Why should a landlord pay for the negligence of the DISCOs? Is the landlord an agent of the DISCO? Inasmuch the new tenant should not pay the debt he is not owing, the landlord is not the customer of the metre in question and is not liable. DISCOs should find better means to recover their debt.

5 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ibechris(m): 3:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

You didn't state how many kwh units you bought.
7,000 naira worth of electricity won't finish quickly with those appliances you listed. Someone is probably tapping electricity from your apartment/meter.

Read it again.

7 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by jmoore(m): 3:48pm On Jul 13, 2023
ibechris:

Read it again.

He changed the contents of his post. My reply was relevant to the original post.

3 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ChybuzzDD(m): 3:50pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

Why should a landlord pay for the negligence of the DISCOs? Is the landlord an agent of the DISCO? Inasmuch the new tenant should not pay the debt he is not owing, the landlord is not the customer of the metre in question and is not liable. DISCOs should find better means to recover their debt.

The bills are tied to the building which belongs the landlord, and the at the DISCO's office, registration is done in his name.

It is his responsibility to ensure his tenants are paying their monthly bills.

If he fails to do so, he'll automatically inherit the debts as they're tied to his building.

As for the DISCOs, they don't know who the landlord rents his rooms/flats to and can't possibly be looking for him/them.
Their business is purely with the owner of the building(landlord).

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by jmoore(m): 3:56pm On Jul 13, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

The bills are tied to the building which belongs the landlord, and the at the DISCO's office, registration is done in his name.

It is his responsibility to ensure his tenants are paying their monthly bills.

If he fails to do so, he'll automatically inherit the debts as they're tied to his building.

As for the DISCOs, they don't know who the landlord rents his rooms/flats to and can't possibly be looking for him/them.
Their business is purely with the owner of the building(landlord).
Landlord will tie a tenant with rope and force him to pay energy bill? I would like to know NERC stand on this issue.

4 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Klington: 4:06pm On Jul 13, 2023

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by livenija: 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2023
gaby:

It will favor us.....
shut up fool

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by BarrElChapo(m): 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

Your landlord obviously

Your landlord obviously, approach him with this and hear what he says, alternatively you can agree with him to clear the debt and remove it from the next rent.

4 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by moyinoluwabun(m): 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2023
It's d duty of the landlord

6 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ChybuzzDD(m): 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

Landlord will tie a tenant with rope and force him to pay energy bill? I would like to know NERC stand on this issue.

This is one of the reasons you're allowed as a landlord to put caution fees, and you should thoroughly inpect your building as the tenant is packing out.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ecolime(m): 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2023
Na so me and some co-tenants inherited N380,000 at my first rented apartment.

We forced the Landlord to pay it off to the last kobo. No be small fight ooo

Most of these inherited debts are caused by the DICSCOs. They dish out bogus estimated bills which makes tenants stop clearing them.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Ejyksneh(m): 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2023
Bola Ahmed Tinubu should be blamed, he is a dare devil that instigates all evil on earth.....he should be arrested and prosecuted

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Akwamkpuruamu: 4:08pm On Jul 13, 2023
Lolz wahala
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ipobarecriminals: 4:10pm On Jul 13, 2023
Not the landlord but some Useless, never do well tenants especially those ones that live in Baba Sule Face me I slap u 🏡.i know a flat back in those days in Nigeria. They preferred to give Nepal ladders carrier boys tips (bribe) when they came to disconnected their 💡,rather than pay their accumulated . Some will moved out from the apartment without paying their utilities bill.

Abeg! Endure small, u go soon pay finish

2 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by merits(m): 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

Bro is not your fault, landlord suppose to be the one to clear the debt,so far he can't hold people that are involved responsible.As at last early this year I cleared a bill of 85k for one of my tenant.So now she's enjoying the prepaid meter with debt free.

One more thing you can clear the debt and make an agreement with him to allow you deduct your money from next house rent

11 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

People Trapped In A Burning Building In Oluwole, Lagos Island (Photos) / Eko Atlantic: The Sight And Beauty / Building A (12 Flats) Mini Estate In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.