Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,197 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord (33996 Views)

My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ceejay80s(m): 6:29pm On Jul 13, 2023
gabbasin:
You need to go see your landlord and sort out the arrears built in the meter, for every 1,000 naira you recharge, you will get token worth 400 naira. Which means you're paying for someone's debt. That's why it's advisable before moving into an apartment, you need to check if there's arrears built in the meter and sort it out with the landlord at once.
It's as if U don't know landlords, he will do nothing....he know if U move out today another person will move in tomorrow
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by princeade86(m): 6:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

Landlord will tie a tenant with rope and force him to pay energy bill? I would like to know NERC stand on this issue.
sorry to say, try to always reason when commenting on a post. So before landlord applied for prepaid meter, he will not know that there is debt on it or what? It happens to me in my apartment here in Lagos, when we wanted to collect prepaid meter, our landlady told us that she's not having any money to clear d debt on the post paid, that we should all pls pay, but we should deduct it from our next house payment which I think is the best way to address that kind issue. Some landlord or lady are so useless. Na so one useless landlord dey increase house rent yearly in my previous house. Very heartless set of people.

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by bizhop01: 6:33pm On Jul 13, 2023
If you pay Buhari debt it will favour you and your family cool
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Kirchoffs: 6:34pm On Jul 13, 2023
T0CH:
@Op, confront your Landlord about your findings and hear what he has to say about it. Try to reach an agreement whereby whatever debt you pay should be subtract from your annual rent (even if it's 50% because he may not likely agree to a 100%).

As a word of advice for accomodation seekers; as part of background checks you'd normally do, try to normalize asking for the meter number from your prospective landlord and taking it to the nearest DISCO office for investigations to know if there are any outstanding bills. It would save you a whole lot of stress.
The landlord is late and the children aren’t in Naija, while he was alive I was told he refused to pay any money on the meter. My guy was the one occupying the apartment previously before I stepped in. The house is in care of a lawyer
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by bionixs: 6:37pm On Jul 13, 2023
gaby:

It will favor us.....
and una family
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Kirchoffs: 6:40pm On Jul 13, 2023
Nopretence:
It can't be only you buying the unit,how many of you in the compound and how many meter is installed to the premises,maybe the landlord play fast one on you by asking the installer to put the primary meter to yours apartment,in which this meter is the one that accrued the debt
Each flat has it’s own prepaid meter, I pay for the units myself
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by bionixs: 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
Sister I don’t have refrigerator in my house and I also don’t use Pressing iron at all.
But e go still favor you na
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by jmoore(m): 6:42pm On Jul 13, 2023
princeade86:
sorry to say, try to always reason when commenting on a post. So before landlord applied for prepaid meter, he will not know that there is debt on it or what? It happens to me in my apartment here in Lagos, when we wanted to collect prepaid meter, our landlady told us that she's not having any money to clear d debt on the post paid, that we should all pls pay, but we should deduct it from our next house payment which I think is the best way to address that kind issue. Some landlord or lady are so useless. Na so one useless landlord dey increase house rent yearly in my previous house. Very heartless set of people.
And you think you reasoned before commenting? Was it not a heartless tenant that packed out without paying his/her nepa bill?
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Kirchoffs: 6:45pm On Jul 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

There's no way the former user can owe such amount on a prepaid meter, so I believe it's arrears from the whole compound or the former user had his own old meter and has been owing until Nepa brought the new meter, go to the market and buy 5watt bulb or even 3watts and change all the bulbs, put off Ur fridge once it's block, find out if some one has tapped Ur light , call an electrician to check and disconnect and trace the wire so U will know who put burden for Ur head
My brother I don’t even have fridge , all the appliances I have here is just 2 fans and one television with 4 bulbs. I have called electricians and they told me no one is tapping my light
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by T0CH(m): 6:53pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
The landlord is late and the children aren’t in Naija, while he was alive I was told he refused to pay any money on the meter. My guy was the one occupying the apartment previously before I stepped in. The house is in care of a lawyer

That bill is most probably from before the prepaid meter was installed. Disco's usually incorporate outstanding bills from old meters/estimated billings into prepaid meter on installation and deduct 60% of subsequent recharges until it is cleared.
If your guy was living there before the prepaid meter was installed, then I guess he was involved in accumulating the bill.
Still bring it to the notice of the lawyer. However I doubt if anything will be done about it. Property Lawyers are only after their fee and have no concern for anything else.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by sweerychick(f): 6:54pm On Jul 13, 2023
MrKingsv:
The reason why you pay that much is because your electricity region is under service band A (They enjoy minimum of 20hrs/day).

Your unit cost per Kilowatt is usually BTW 68.61 naira to 76.20 naira....This band is very expensive but you are guaranteed constant electricity....

Other persons may recharge similar amount like you did but would get more Units because their transformer may be sourcing power from other lower service bands (B -E). But then, they would not enjoy similar light availability/duration
let me guess band A is Federal light?
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by President2001(m): 6:55pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!
Is not duty of both of you what you or landlord need to do is to write a letter of debt on the meter and they will trace previous user hand him/her to police

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Psady(m): 7:03pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
To be factual, I had always known something was wrong but didn’t always go and make any complaints cos am always busy. Also the light bill was always sorted out by my guy until he traveled out early this year. He told me landlord refused to pay anything on the meter while he was alaive

pls is this prepaid metre just installed or how long have u been using it? because if it has been installed for long it means u've been paying off the debt for that long without knowing , meaning the actual debt was above 65k .
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by WantsandMore: 7:19pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.
you're literally giving 40% worth of Kwh. So calculate well next time now that you've more info.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ceejay80s(m): 7:20pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
My brother I don’t even have fridge , all the appliances I have here is just 2 fans and one television with 4 bulbs. I have called electricians and they told me no one is tapping my light
Something is wrong some where , the remaining balance after they have removed their arrears should take U 1 month,
I don't trust the electricians, call another electrician from a far Street who doesn't know anybody in Ur street, U never can tell, the electrician U called did it for them and will lie to U , somebody is using that light with U,
On U prepaid receipt after U buy , how many unit is remaining, calculate it to Ur appliances, just do the maths and U know how many days it should last
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Kirchoffs: 7:34pm On Jul 13, 2023
Psady:
pls is this prepaid metre just installed or how long have u been using it? because if it has been installed for long it means u've been paying off the debt for that long without knowing , meaning the actual debt was above 65k .
I was told that debt on the meter was over 200k, I think it was installed in 2020 or 2021
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Kirchoffs: 7:36pm On Jul 13, 2023
ceejay80s:

Something is wrong some where , the remaining balance after they have removed their arrears should take U 1 month,
I don't trust the electricians, call another electrician from a far Street who doesn't know anybody in Ur street, U never can tell, the electrician U called did it for them and will lie to U , somebody is using that light with U,
On U prepaid receipt after U buy , how many unit is remaining, calculate it to Ur appliances, just do the maths and U know how many days it should last
I will do that thanks, but the issue is how to settle this situation cos the landlord is dead and the children aren’t in the country
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Jd10k(m): 7:57pm On Jul 13, 2023
You Inherited a liability because you didn't asked your landlord and agent when getting that property.
Your DISCO Is even cheep at 2800 Naira for 23 hour everyday for 14 days because 4800 is the liability you Inherited on every recharge of 7000 Naira.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Pcstradamus(m): 7:58pm On Jul 13, 2023
It’s very simple. Inform you landlord. If he is not saying anything positive and backing it with action, let it be. Get your evidences ready. When it’s time to renew your rent, deduct the money and pay him the balance. End of story
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by davidtemi(m): 8:02pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:
I am serious. Some tenants are stubborn, some of them pack out without completing their rent.
But anyhow it is, its still d building dat is owing NEPA and to avoid story, landlords should be responsible to ensure his tenant pay monthly dues. My papa get houses and I tink I knw wat I'm saying
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by phemmyfour: 8:08pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

You must be jjc in Lagos.

Next time, always request for meter no of your flat to know if it's debt free before renting a house.

You ve just got scammed by your landlord

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ahnie: 8:11pm On Jul 13, 2023
Mummiesboy:
oza doh
I m a lady
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by MuslimIgbo: 8:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

You didn't state how many kwh units you bought.
7,000 naira worth of electricity won't finish quickly with those appliances you listed. Someone is probably tapping electricity from your apartment/meter.
You won't read well and comprehend before typing rubbish.
Lazyyut

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Psalmmyb(m): 8:36pm On Jul 13, 2023
Call your electrician to recheck the connection of the house,
Also, you can cross check the meter history on what you recharged and how do you used it.
I guess this will help!
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by delishpot: 8:43pm On Jul 13, 2023
baaliyah:

If PHCN takes 60 percent to service your debt, that leaves you with 40 percent which is N2800.
You mean 2800 is too much for almost two weeks of regular power supply.

Her point is that the landlord should have settled outstanding bills from his previous tenants and not her to finance his past tenant's debt to PHCN. That is all she is complaining about. How will you pay full rent to landlord and still be paying the gbese of his past tenant's?
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by PaulH07: 9:47pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

Abeg no vex oh, but I'll like to know which part of Lagos you dey see that 23-24hrs light.

Make I love there abeg. I no go even mind dey spend 20k on light per month sef...
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by shoprite: 11:33pm On Jul 13, 2023
Truth is you have no business paying any accumulated electricity bill you met before moving into the apartment . similar cases have been settled in the law courts in the recent past. Do the needful and don't pay for anything you did not use.

See the link below for instance;

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjOxLS83YyAAxUzoFwKHTLlDCUQFnoECBgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpunchng.com%2Foutstanding-bills-cannot-be-enforced-on-new-tenants-nerc%2F&usg=AOvVaw16tu9NAju2GkvCffKtQs8M&opi=89978449
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by shoprite: 11:39pm On Jul 13, 2023
PaulH07:

Abeg no vex oh, but I'll like to know which part of Lagos you dey see that 23-24hrs light.

Make I love there abeg. I no go even mind dey spend 20k on light per month sef...

Mine runs exactly like this in Aguda, Surulere . . .Been home all day today, light only went off for about 45 minutes
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 3:02am On Jul 14, 2023
Klass99:

How long did you expect 7k worth of power units to last with 23-24 hours of regular power supply? Do you not iron your clothes as well? Ironing draws power too. Look at the value you get from constant power supply and don't stress so much about the cost.

Not to rain on your parade but 28th June to 12th July is exactly 15 days, 7k power for 15 days is not bad at all if you ask me. I am trying to monitor my power consumption to ascertain how many units 10 to 20k provides and how long it lasts based on my usage. I haven't figured it out properly yet but I am getting there. I loaded 10k on the 29th of June and today the 13th of July my meter is blinking red and indicating I am low on units.

I'm guessing I may need 20 to 25 or 30k worth of units to conveniently take me through a whole month because I like to use AC and I don't mind the cost because my quality of life tremendously improved when I moved to my current location. I remember being so stressed and frustrated at a previous accomodation that I would sit back at the office after work hours, dreading going home because I knew I was going back to darkness and no water. Without power water couldn't be pumped and that was a constant occurence at that accommodation, as tenants we banded together to find a solution.......but mehn those are not days I want to ever go back to.

This money we stress and worry about will not follow us to the grave so my practice in life is to spend it on the things that add value to me and bring joy into my heart. If you are getting value for your money close your eyes and enjoy that value/benefit. And one more thing it helps when you buy units and load your meter with a bulk sum like 15k as against 7k. If you can, don't break it up into small bits. I understand things are rough now and we may need to spread money out to meet other needs, but we can decide what matters and what to prioritize.

Modified to add: I see that you've fundamentally changed your original post to a different story now. Your landlord will argue that you are the one benefitting from the power/electricity so you should bear the cost. That's how most of them think and operate.
you are a bad person
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ChybuzzDD(m): 3:05am On Jul 14, 2023
Assetosky:

Do people with meter enjoy light without first buying it? How did they owe when you must pay before seeing light

That debt usually comes as a carryover from outstanding estimated bills.

If a building is on estimated billing, when prepaid metre is installed, the outstanding bills will be transferred to the new metre.

So, if you're packing into an apartment in Nigeria, which had previously been occupied by another Nigerian, you need to first find out their bill paying history.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ChybuzzDD(m): 3:14am On Jul 14, 2023
Childfree:

I had same issue.
Landlord refused.
What would you do?
He knows you must use light hence you would go and recharge. PHCN would remove it wether you like it or not.

Landlord has no excuse to refuse.
PHCN can't just remove it unless you escalate to NERC and win eventually.
Your battle is with the owner of the building, not PHCN.
So, you can prepare to deduct the total "stolen" amounts from your next house rent or you simply look for a better place.
You can't possibly be paying the debts because the people who incurred it were brought in by the landlord and their rents were paid to him, and not to you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic: The Sight And Beauty / Building A (12 Flats) Mini Estate In Enugu / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.