Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,482 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord (34000 Views)

My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by izubext007: 4:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
no sir, u are not suppose to pay another mans debt. only Jesus can do that.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Judolisco(m): 4:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
greggng:

Use your church mind and forget the past . Digging deep into this matter you may realised that the landlord is not at fault ...it could be the fault of tenant like you that left without paying nepa bill ..To rectify the issue the landlord acquires Metre .....just discuss it with him but continue being a good tenant ...don't be confrontational towards this matter ..Apply common sense here ...let it go ...but discuss it with him and see what he will say
na illegal connection dey lead to dis minus on d meter... They'll give u options at d nepa office before reconnecting your light.. So it's not d ops fault at all
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Xammie001(m): 4:33pm On Jul 13, 2023
It's your landlord duty to pay for the debt but let me ask you one question did he tell you about the debt before you got that apartment?
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by OlujobaSamuel: 4:35pm On Jul 13, 2023
Go and meet with the landlord, discuss it with him, it's his debt, you shouldn't bear the cross
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by IdJack(m): 4:35pm On Jul 13, 2023
Hmmmm.... Nigeria Which way.

Sorry ooo. Make some report

Kindly check my signature for something HUGE
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Ybholy(m): 4:35pm On Jul 13, 2023
You’ll pay up the debt. You and your co-tenants or co-users of the prepaid.

It’s happening to my one of my guy now. The thing is frustrating. He buys light of 5k and it can’t last three days. It makes me sad 😞

But which area you dey wey get the 23 to 24 hrs light. I want know pls
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Childfree: 4:35pm On Jul 13, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

None of you were able to address his main issue.

If it were you, would you be happy paying for debts you didn't incur??

@OP: It's the duty of the landlord to offset the debts incurred by his previous tenants.

Liaise with him on the best way to follow it.
One of the ways involves substracting the total expenses you incur in 1yr from the next annual rent.
It is not your responsibility to pay the debts and should never accept that.

I had same issue.
Landlord refused.
What would you do?
He knows you must use light hence you would go and recharge. PHCN would remove it wether you like it or not.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 13, 2023
gaby:

It will favor us.....
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Patented: 4:36pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.

Na landlord get Gbese adn he should have informed you of the debt on the meter. even if he did not you also should have asked. notwithstanding the Debt is the responsibility of your landlord but many of them are stubborn and wicked.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by greggng: 4:37pm On Jul 13, 2023
Judolisco:
na illegal connection dey lead to dis minus on d meter... They'll give u options at d nepa office before reconnecting your light.. So it's not d ops fault at all

No is not illegal connection ...the truth is that the house in question was on estimated billing. They ve no meter b4 . In this case some tenant do refuse to pay and keep sorting nepa .. there action doesn't stop the bills drom piling up. Tenant will always go but the accumulated bills remains for the incoming tenant .

3 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Nazgul: 4:37pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.
NEPA was right. Your meter is in debt.

Usually when a compound is using Post Paid meter, and NEPA brings a bill of 40k, they may pay 30k and carryover 10k to the following month. By the time they continue doing that for a year, that meter would have a debit of over 200k.

So when the landlord applies for prepaid meter and NEPA brings it, they would calculate the total debt and distribute it amongst the meters. I.e if there are 6 prepaid meters to be installed in the flats, and you were owing them 300k in the previous meter, they'll share the debt meaning each new meter would inherit a debt of 50k.

So if you recharge 7k, 3-4k would be subtracted from your 7k to offset the 50k debt. And it would keep on happening until the total debt of 50k has been settled.

This is why whenever you're moving into a new apartment, make sure that they've been using prepaid meter for over 2 years. So that any debt whatsoever they inherited from the previous meter would have been paid off by the time you're moving in.

Sadly there's nothing your landlord can do. Cos it's tenants who accumulated the debt not him. This means that tenants must pay it off.

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by jmoore(m): 4:39pm On Jul 13, 2023
millionboi2:
is debt in the meter not tapping, tapping will not make it finish dat fast

Nawa for una! The poster modified his post. He did not include the debt part earlier.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Cotyozimede: 4:39pm On Jul 13, 2023
[All prepaid is like that.wen we got our own that is how it is.me I close eyes and pay up the debit .so nothing concern ur landlord that is how it is programquote author=Kirchoffs post=124390504]I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

UPDATE!!!!

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord. [/quote]
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by zactunji(m): 4:44pm On Jul 13, 2023
When renting an apartment always make enquiry about there PHCN bill Get the metering no or code .cos some landlord will put all d burden on u .
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by gasparpisciotta: 4:45pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

You only got 40% of what you recharged because of the debt of 65k, take it up with your landlord he should be aware of this debt
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by mukthar2000(m): 4:52pm On Jul 13, 2023
Guy u bleeped up big time, why is it now that u just wake up after ur less than 2years in the building paying someone else debt?

Is either your landlord bought the meter on debt and his debt was loard on the meter to be paying instalment or Tennant that stay in the building b4 ur rent accumulate the debt.

Guy my own advice for u in to visit the NEPA office to print out the total debt to show the landlord for both of u to share the debt or u Japan from such house and if u sew that the debt is avoidable for u to be paying the 60% no wahala but I bet u guy u most surly feel the pains becoz I was once in this type of scenario, when I see that I can't continued after 6moths I quickly alert my aboki landlord to send me by balance.

2 Likes

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Iseoluwani: 4:54pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

By pass your meter
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ayotade09(m): 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2023
visaclick:
Renewed hope my bro, tighten your seat belt.
Update!!!

Hope you voted tinubu also grin
so tinubu is his landlord fool
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by eeewise(m): 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2023
Why not just go solar with the appliances you have and pay for in installments
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2023
Your Landlord should pay this.
It's his responsibility not yours
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Nwibii: 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2023
The reason your unit finishes early is because of the arrears on your meter. When you recharge 7k, 4,200 is deducted from it as part of your arrears making it 60% of 7,000, stamp duty of 50 naira is also deducted, and VAT of about 180 is also deducted leaving you with about 2,570.

You might end up with about 28 units depending on the class your on area and the class you're on.

What you should do now is, engage your landlord peacefully let him understand that you can't pay someone else's arrears. If you both understand yourself, the landlord is supposed to asked you to clear it and it will be deducted from your subsequent rent once your rent is due.
Alternatively, the landlord is supposed to clear the arrears doe you if he don't want you to remove it from your next rent. Your landlord is aware of it cause the meter was bought by him and once you inform him he'll be glad to align with you.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Omobada(m): 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2023
visaclick:
Renewed hope my bro, tighten your seat belt.
Update!!!

Hope you voted tinubu also grin
Dindinrin, you didn't read the post or it's beyond your fish brain comprehension. Which one?
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by MissLeslie(m): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2023
Someone that uses 23hrs light shouldn't complain about the cost, run a generator for 3day and check the cost effect of fuel. If we should be having constant light not everyone can afford it.

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by omoadeleye(m): 5:00pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

You didn't state how many kwh units you bought.
7,000 naira worth of electricity won't finish quickly with those appliances you listed. Someone is probably tapping electricity from your apartment/meter.

I hope you read everything through
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by jmoore(m): 5:02pm On Jul 13, 2023
omoadeleye:

Stfu and read to understand
Late comers! Common sense should have told you the poster modified his post.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Allwell96: 5:04pm On Jul 13, 2023
Have you told the landlord about it? Negotiate and if possible take the 65k from your next rent.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by TimelineMag: 5:05pm On Jul 13, 2023
Get a document from them and show it to your land. He will give you a refund when paying your next rent based on the fact that you have cleared the debt before then.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Streetmovement(m): 5:06pm On Jul 13, 2023
Wotoporiously cool speaking

Welcome to Nigeria where we share electricity with people we don't know
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by FireUpNow(m): 5:06pm On Jul 13, 2023
OP are you the only tenant in th house? Lagos landlords always allow their new t nents to pay outstanding bills left by old tenants. Watch the electrical appliances you are using
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Deicide: 5:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
How can prepaid Meter have debts?
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by prophetfire: 5:09pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

It's not your responsibility but that of your landlord since he didn't get the former tenant to pay.
However as in Nigeria way he would refuse to pay.
That's why it's good to check all that before paying for a house.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady? / Building A (12 Flats) Mini Estate In Enugu / Cost Of 4 Flats Of 2 Bedroom.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.