Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord (33994 Views)

My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by romero(m): 6:07am On Jul 14, 2023
QUESTION :
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ChybuzzDD(m): 3:14am

ANSWER: You are to be blamed and not your landlord

WHY?
1. You had no business renting that apartment in the first place

2. You failed to do the due diligence b4 renting the apartment

3. Tenants must investigate or research or ask questions b4 renting or paying for any apartment.

4. If you had asked or knew there was debt on the meter abinitio, would you still have paid for the flat?
I am sure No. YOU CAUSED THIS PROBLEM

SOLUTION
1. Now that you already made the initial mistake, meet your landlord and sort things out with him POLITELY & AMICABLY

2. Ask your landlord to buy you a separate meter ( I doubt any Nigerian landlord will do this).

3. You can buy your own meter (N63,200) + N10,000 processing fees) if your landlord agrees. PHCN will refund the meter money paid back to you with monthly units to be used by you

4. PACK OUT FROM THE APARTMENT IF HIS RESPONSE DOES NOT FAVOR YOU

5. If possible, buy land and build your own house - LONG TIME SOLUTION
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by PaulH07: 6:44am On Jul 14, 2023
shoprite:

Mine runs exactly like this in Aguda, Surulere . . .Been home all day today, light only went off for about 45 minutes

Since when has it been like that.

The Aguda wey I know dey suffer light wellwell oh cheesy
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by isaaciog(m): 7:00am On Jul 14, 2023
Question your Landlord for refund.

Anyway, for your Book writing, Project Research writing, Book writing, Content writing, CV Development, Graphic Design, Art Design, Logo Design, Company/Business Registration (CAC) e.t.c
Call/Whatsapp: (Isaaciog Consult) 08030685732.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by rapheal5(m): 7:35am On Jul 14, 2023
UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.
op you were busy answering those who can't read your full post didn't you state in ur post that nepa do take 60% off from every recharge you make....smh
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Ifeco01: 7:57am On Jul 14, 2023
Go solar...and thank me later

Contact me for the best solution
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Simeonjoe1: 8:02am On Jul 14, 2023
jmoore:

Why should a landlord pay for the negligence of the DISCOs? Is the landlord an agent of the DISCO? Inasmuch the new tenant should not pay the debt he is not owing, the landlord is not the customer of the metre in question and is not liable. DISCOs should find better means to recover their debt.

Which is what they are doing. 60% or no light
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by GrangeNeon: 8:12am On Jul 14, 2023
Ok
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Noreliltd: 8:25am On Jul 14, 2023
The rate of depreciation of your units is DIRECTLY PROPORTIONAL to the STEADINESS OF YOUR LIGHT and debt deductions
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Monday60655(m): 9:07am On Jul 14, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.

Get your evidence clear from NEPA. If everything is clear meet your landlord if you were not in the apartment when the accumulated bill was inculled before the introduction of the prepared metre in the apartment. Based on your answer from the above question. So anytime you want to subscribe for electricity unit, you calculate 60% out of the total amount you are spending and he (the landlord) will pay you. Or be calculating it and remove the total when you want to renew your rent. But ensure your landlord is aware and also have your clear evidence.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Mummiesboy: 10:25am On Jul 14, 2023
ahnie:

I m a lady
Sorry omoteh doh!
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by 2braithe: 2:27pm On Jul 14, 2023
ahnie:

I m a lady baby mama

wink
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by shoprite: 4:27pm On Jul 14, 2023
PaulH07:

Since when has it been like that.

The Aguda wey I know dey suffer light wellwell oh cheesy

Chairman . . .its a new day, still didn't step out today as I'm on Malaria medication . . .Guess what? The light has not even blinked today! cool
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by makaveli902: 6:42pm On Jul 14, 2023
jmoore:

You didn't state how many kwh units you bought.
7,000 naira worth of electricity won't finish quickly with those appliances you listed. Someone is probably tapping electricity from your apartment/meter.

Didn't you read when he said this!

UPDATE!!!!

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by achimendy(m): 7:32pm On Jul 14, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

They did thesame thing to me here in kano. Me and other new tenants where paying for debt we know nothing of, and that's the only way we could get the light, so we agreed and keep doing as you're doing. But the difference is that landlord don't live with us, if not he will pay b4 we pack in.

But in your case ,your landlord must pay o, that's his house, you can not pay his debt. Or tell the Nepa people debit from his own unit not urs.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by DrDunamis(m): 8:46pm On Jul 14, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

Go and discuss with your landlord or ask to be placed on a separate meter.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by PaulH07: 10:47pm On Jul 14, 2023
shoprite:

Chairman . . .its a new day, still didn't step out today as I'm on Malaria medication . . .Guess what? The light has not even blinked today! cool

Sai Jagaban.

Man's doing well without making noise grin
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by johnbd: 6:58pm On Jul 17, 2023
Its your landlord. Don't by pass . or you pay between 250 k to 500k to NEPA or prison.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic: The Sight And Beauty / Building A (12 Flats) Mini Estate In Enugu / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.