Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,969 members, 7,814,269 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord (33988 Views)

My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by BCISLTD: 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2023
I have some mint samsung phones going for cheap
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Diligent1(f): 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2023
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by atobs4real(m): 4:12pm On Jul 13, 2023
Na normal thing
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 13, 2023
First;

I don't understand the idea behind the notion that Nigerians have to describe a "One bedroom apartment" as a "room and parlour self-contain". That logic is garbage. What you have is a One bedroom apartment. A "self-contained" is just a room that is fitted with a kitchen and a bathroom/toilet.

Second;

You have no business paying an outstanding debt you met on a light meter. If the landlord refuses to pay, get the descriptive memo from the "Nepa" office in the form of a paper document, clearly spelling out the debt and when it was incurred. File it safely. And when you're going to renew your rent, remove that amount from whatever you're paying to the landlord. If you have no plans to renew after expiration, take that document to him and sit down to a meeting, in the presence of one or two other tenants and negotiate terms with him. If he refuses, quietly go to your house, bear the brunt for now until your rent expires, when you're moving, get an electrician and remove the light meter. Once you do that, he'll beg to see you for settlement.

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Nezero(m): 4:14pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.

Since July I heard that the 100 units people used to buy for around 2k is now 10k.

Plus the deductions Nepa made..

But anyway your landlord is using you to pay for his prepaid meter. Sorry.

Maybe you can have the prepaid meter withdrawn and just create an account with Nepa for a limited sum monthly

Prepaid is not ideal for everyone.. ask the Nepa people to help you
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by erniok(m): 4:16pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

Landlord will tie a tenant with rope and force him to pay energy bill? I would like to know NERC stand on this issue.
The responsibility of ensuring your tenants pay bills rests on him. He could have liased with the DISCO to disconnect the tenant if he was not meeting up with his obligations instead of passing the debt to new tenant.

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by SommyGudman(m): 4:16pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
Sister I don’t have refrigerator in my house and I also don’t use Pressing iron at all.
You must be one of the poor masses living in Lagos
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by mcgodison2531(m): 4:17pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

You didn't state how many kwh units you bought.
7,000 naira worth of electricity won't finish quickly with those appliances you listed. Someone is probably tapping electricity from your apartment/meter.
try de read
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by damble: 4:17pm On Jul 13, 2023
This kind of practice is common with most landlords in the area where there is stable electricity, most especially in Abuja
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by sammirano: 4:17pm On Jul 13, 2023
Your landlord is responsible for the debt. You should have a serious discussion with them. Depending on the band your area operates, 7k is what some flats use in a month.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by thinkmoney(m): 4:17pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:
I stay alone in a room and parlor self contain here in Lagos , although we have constant light, I have been in this area for less than 2year and light is at least 23-24 hrs per day.

I use 7000 naira to buy Nepa units on the 28th June and it’s finished already today being 12th of July, note that I don’t use anything that draws power in my house .

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the debt settlement.

Now my question is, am I supposed to be paying a debt I don’t owe or is this the duty of the landlord.
It’s the terrible and unfair practice of landlords in most houses. They will want you to inherit debt you know nothing about. It’s UNFAIR
Report to NEPA if they can do anything and speak to the landlord about it.
This are the status quo practice that frustrates many of us that we attempted to change by changing this insensitive and inept party of old men, but a lot of people just seems comfortable with the mess

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Judolisco(m): 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

d person staying In dat house before committed an offence.. Tell ur landlord to get u a new meter or pay off the debts or u move out... You've been suffering for what u knw nothing about.... If u find out that ur landlord is responsible for committing d offence then tell him to pay u back or report him to d nearest police station
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by jmoore(m): 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2023
mcgodison2531:
try de read
Hush! Una came late. He modified his post.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by laivwire(m): 4:22pm On Jul 13, 2023
oweniwe:

Switch to rechargeable fans and lights

That runs on water or air?

This is a classic issue. Landlord doesn't want to pay as he didn't cause the deficit in the first place. This is where full disclosure or due diligence comes in when letting a new place.

You've got to bear it and see if you can tell the landlord you will deduct it from the next rent payment.

If you bypass, get caught and get heavily fined, do you think the landlord will cover the cost or simply hand it over to the next tenant.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Amayabor1: 4:24pm On Jul 13, 2023
baaliyah:

If PHCN takes 60 percent to service your debt, that leaves you with 40 percent which is N2800.
You mean 2800 is too much for almost two weeks of regular power supply.

Do you some of you even read to understand? How is it his debt?

Let me explain to you better. When some landlords get new prepaid meters, they don't clear the debt that has accumulated from the use of post paid meter. (because once PHCN estimated billing comes, most Nigerians pay a little of the entire amount, leaving backlog behind). Now, the landlord gets prepaid meters, and Nepa adds the debt from the estimated billing to the new prepaid meter. As a tenant, you rent an apartment in that compound, and you realise whenever you recharge your prepaid meter, it doesn't last long.

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Benediction777: 4:24pm On Jul 13, 2023
I just dey read their yeye advice/gibberish and NONE of dem read the msg finish.Dem just dey blab.

ChybuzzDD:

None of you were able to address his main issue.

If it were you, would you be happy paying for debts you didn't incur??

@OP: It's the duty of the landlord to offset the debts incurred by his previous tenants.

Liaise with him on the best way to follow it.
One of the ways involves substracting the total expenses you incur in 1yr from the next annual rent.
It is not your responsibility to pay the debts and should never accept that.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by greggng: 4:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

Use your church mind and forget the past . Digging deep into this matter you may realised that the landlord is not at fault ...it could be the fault of tenant like you that left without paying nepa bill ..To rectify the issue the landlord acquires Metre .....just discuss it with him but continue being a good tenant ...don't be confrontational towards this matter ..Apply common sense here ...let it go ...but discuss it with him and see what he will say
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by TechCapon(m): 4:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

which area are you staying. Darkness want to finish us here in Ajah cry
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ObidenceNeckpre: 4:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
oponu , na renew hope say make u dey very irresponsible. Pay your bills and dont use ur irresponsible suffer others under this stupid igbotic disguise abt bad govt.
visaclick:
Renewed hope my bro, tighten your seat belt.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by onuman: 4:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
N7000 for 3 weeks electricity supply in Nigeria where minimum wage is about N30000.

APC government will drain the bloods of Nigerians before some of them understand that APC placed the country as the poverty capital of the world.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Angelfrost(m): 4:25pm On Jul 13, 2023
Definitely the Landlord!

You are being ripped off!

The landlord is supposed to clear all outstanding debts on the bill before renting out the apartment! Or he should have told you and negotiated it into the initial house rent!
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Whois(m): 4:27pm On Jul 13, 2023
Tell the landlord you prefer to Switchback to crazy biling cus you shouldn't be left to bear outstanding bills you dont know about and if he is unwilling to be unreasonable be unreasonable too grin

1 Like

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Senioradvocate(m): 4:29pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

brother I'm facing the same issue here

I don't even know what to do
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by millionboi2: 4:29pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

let landlord know what nepa told u, he will either clear it or substract it from your next rent.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by lelion: 4:29pm On Jul 13, 2023
My brother fasten your seatbelt. If Nigeria must work, we should all be prepared for extra sacrifices. I live and work in Niger Republic since 2010, and between then and now, l have not Witness upto 15, power outage. But, it comes with sacrifice because we pay dearly to sustain their electrical infrastructures. Last month l paid 115k, just for the month of June. We should all tighten out seatbelts and sacrifice for better Nigeria.

Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by ITbomb(m): 4:30pm On Jul 13, 2023
Make an agreement with your landlord to clear the debt (to next year rent), then start paying normal.
No bypass am o, others dey do am but na your picture go fine pass for 9 o'clock news
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Childfree: 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

So within the 2 years of your stay, you didn't notice that you weren't getting the exact value of unit for your money? Were you not recharging before?

I had similar issue.
The house is on estimated bill. The previous tenants don't often pay or clear the power bill so it accumulated. We came in then after like 7 months the landlord decided to meter the house. PHCN decided to transfer the debt on to the meter.

The landlord said he can't pay for light which tenants used even though he knew we were not his tenants when the dept was accumulated.

He knows we must use light hence we have to go and recharge, there we would have no option but be paying just like in your case. Mine is 39k

But I won't pay Shi Shi, the meter came with 100 unit which you have to pay. So during the first recharge, you'll only pay for the 100 unit that came with the meter, then buy whatever unit you want again. They won't charge you for the debt till subsequent recharges.

Since they would only deduct money to service the debt from my next recharges.
What I did is, I bought enough units to last me till I leave the apartment ( I already had plans to leave in 8 months when my rent expires)

I no fit pay for something I didn't use. The landlord should sort his house.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by millionboi2: 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2023
jmoore:

You didn't state how many kwh units you bought.
7,000 naira worth of electricity won't finish quickly with those appliances you listed. Someone is probably tapping electricity from your apartment/meter.
is debt in the meter not tapping, tapping will not make it finish dat fast
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Styluss: 4:31pm On Jul 13, 2023
werey grin you no add family

gaby:

It will favor us.....
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by Dumfrank(m): 4:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
It's your landlord responsibility to clear the debt. Have a discussion with him.
Re: Who is to blame here? Me or my landlord by NEIGHBOUR(m): 4:32pm On Jul 13, 2023
Kirchoffs:

UPDATE!!!!

So I went to Nepa office today and I was told that there is a debt of 65k on the prepaid meter, each time I recharge Nepa takes off 60% from me for the nytdebt settlement. T

The former occupant left debt on the meter before you got the prepaid so the outstanding is spread anytime you recharge.
I'm passing through the same phase now too in my new flat although the landlord promised to reimburse later but I don't trust him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Eko Atlantic: The Sight And Beauty / Building A (12 Flats) Mini Estate In Enugu / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Landlord Or Landlady?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.