Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,686 members, 7,831,127 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

'$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ (20006 Views)

Chinese Company Will Build $50m Daura Varsity For Free-Amaechi / Ambode Performs Pre-launch Of $50m Factory In Lekki Free Zone / Timi Frank Reveals 'How Oshiomhole Collected $50m From APC Aspirants' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Adabestseason(m): 9:22pm On Jul 17, 2023
EcoNews:
When will you do the calculation for Alaigbo make we see how foolish you truly are.
In Nigeria we don/t use direct proportion in calculating contract sum
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by MasterTeeUSA: 9:34pm On Jul 17, 2023
The fact is not everyone in US can afford 24hrs electricity not to talk to Njgeria. The key is to pick key areas and supply 24hrs and look for Govt subsidized electricity to cover the poor, average and rural. Big ole USA still subsidizes electricity for customers...UK even give energy credits. Electricity is an expensive business and Naijas steal them for free.

EcoBrick:

https://thenationonlineng.net/50m-power-plant-in-lagosll-drive-economic-growth/
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Powerhouse99: 9:37pm On Jul 17, 2023
EcoNews:
When will you do the calculation for Alaigbo make we see how foolish you truly are.

Aba Geometric Power Plant To Come On Stream In Sept — Nnaji

THE Geometric Power plant has concluded plans to
come on stream, adding 188 megawatts, MW of
electricity to Nigeria’s output in September this year.
The Chairman of the company and former Minister of
Power, Prof. Bart Nnaji, said the plant, located at
Osisioma Industrial Layout in Aba, Abia State, will add
much value to the nation’s economy.

Speaking at the First African Continental Free Trade
Area (AfCFTA) Market Opportunities Conference,
holding at the Technology Incubation Centre in Aba,
organised by the Continental Export Import (CONEX)
Limited, Prof. Nnaji, said: “Starting with one of its four
General Electric brand turbines, the second will come
on stream once the performance of the first turbine is
declared satisfactory by the team of engineers led by
KSE Energy of Turkey and Engineer Ben Caven, a
former executive director of the National Electric
Power Authority (NEPA) reputed to be the only person
to have run the generation, engineering and
transmission divisions of the state-owned utility.

“The generation of electricity from the Geometric
Power plant will be a game changer in the
socioeconomic development of not just Aba city but
nine out of the 17 local government areas in Abia State
serviced by Aba Power, a member of Geometric
group”, Nnaji declared today to wildly cheering
participants at the First African Continental Free Trade
Area (AfCFTA) Market Opportunities Conference
holding at the Technology Incubation Centre in Aba,
organised by the Continental Export Import (CONEX)
Ltd.

“We have completed building four brand new power
substations and refurbishing three substations inherited
from the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN),
in addition to providing thousands of kilometres of
cables and wires, as well as world-class tubular poles
available in only highly industrialised cities such as
Tokyo in Japan and San Francisco in California.”

He added: “All that remains now is to provide fuel or
gas to the Geometric Power plant through the 27-
kilometre gas pipeline from Owaza in Ukwa West LGA
in Abia State to the Osisioma Industrial Layout.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/07/electricity-geometric-power-plant-to-come-on-stream-with-188-mw-in-september-prof-nnaji/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by erico2k2(m): 9:45pm On Jul 17, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
If you generate electricity and can't get the SW states consumer market, you are playing with debts that may make you fold up wink

The largest power generation plant is in Lagos, Egbin. This is a direct competition against them yet Egbin is just few kilometres away in Ikorodu. Those in wherever do not have chances niyen. Consumers want the cheapest, if you bring electricity from afar, it adds to the cost. Lagos, Ogun, Oyo are the biggest consumers.

It makes no business sense for the consumers in VI or Ikeja to pay for cost of shipping electricity from Ikorodu let alone faraway wherever outside Lagos. This was why Asiwaju then as Governor in 2000 protested against the needless wastage!
There are existing lines to them places, so what new investments in line are you talking about or you forget we have a national grid, What I think you are trying to say is step down power at point of generation then excess to national grid right?
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by proeast(m): 9:46pm On Jul 17, 2023
waynetee:
We are getting there.

Meanwhile, Omoluabis will do something, yeye beerfraud people will looking for every means to claim it. No be juju be that?

See this bigot. Geometric already built a gigantic power plant to give Aba 24 hours uninterrupted power supply. Igbos didn't make noise about it, but ordinary 30 megawatts is what you're gloating over?

There is no guarantee it would even be completed, something that might be used for money laundering.

1 Like

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by obinto: 9:47pm On Jul 17, 2023
Gajagojo:

STOP talking like an illiterate OMATA

Who is borrowing here is the question?
Seems you are the Illiterate here, Sorry.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by masseratti: 9:48pm On Jul 17, 2023
mrvitalis:

It's a loan a loan scam they can easily take out a 45 million dollars loan using the plant as back up... When they fail to pay the loan amcon has to buy the loan using me and u money
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Salewa97: 9:51pm On Jul 17, 2023
proeast:

See this bigot. Geometric already built a gigantic power plant to give Aba 24 hours uninterrupted power supply. Igbos didn't make noise about it, but ordinary 30 megawatts is what you're gloating over?

There is no guarantee it would even be completed, something that might be used for money laundering.

You don hear about Otedola 435MW Geregu power plant?
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by FreeStuffsNG: 9:59pm On Jul 17, 2023
erico2k2:

There are existing lines to them places, so what new investments in line are you talking about or you forget we have a national grid, What I think you are trying to say is step down power at point of generation then excess to national grid right?
Thank you. It is a Yes and No. Yes because that's apparent alternative but No because the current transmission lines (TCN) will charge too and the cost is transferred to the consumers. I am not suggesting the cost of building new lines but service charge by TCN for transmitting over long distances.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Nnannapat(m): 10:06pm On Jul 17, 2023
Gajagojo:
Victoria Island is not a virgin land
Just securing land,and meeting the safety and planning regulations will cost millions of dollars BEFORE you break ground and start construction.
They may have to buy and demolish existing buildings and put in place safety installations because VI was not designed for power plants in its planning code

Crucially it is their money and. they can spend it now they like

There is nothing to say that the existing provider has to stop business
They will not be selling to everyone and it is not compulsory to buy from them so why the hate from IPOB?
Oga go back and read the article again. The funds for the project will come from ARM, FBN and Bank of Industry.
ARM is a mutual fund investment company ( money from individual investors).
FBN is First bank of Nigeria.
Bank of industry is owned by the people of Nigeria (me and you).

So any Nigerian that complained about the cost of the project is actually asking a valid question because his/her money is at stake.

You were asking about debt that was bought by AMCON, they have over 1.7 trillion naira of non performing loans bought from different sectors of the economy with taxpayers money. Go to their office and verify.

2 Likes

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by plaindealer: 10:07pm On Jul 17, 2023
mrvitalis:
30MW power plant for 50 million dollars

Make una dey lie una hear

How much did winners build there 15mw power plant with

Where is Nigerian society of engineers when lies like this are flying around

There is really a gas pipeline to Lagos so what's the excuse... 20 million dollars can deliver this project

Your only qualification in life is spewing ignorant rubbish on NL.

Some you are just too embarrassingly nauseating.

1 Like

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Gajagojo: 10:15pm On Jul 17, 2023
Nnannapat:
Oga go back and read the article again. The funds for the project will come from ARM, FBN and Bank of Industry.

So any Nigerian that complained about the cost of the project is actually asking a valid question because his/her money is at stake.

You were asking about debt that was bought by AMCON, they have over 1.7 trillion naira of non performing loans bought from different sectors of the economy with taxpayers money. Go to their office and verify.
This is a rant

What is your point?

The project is not funded by you and me
It is funded by debt and equity from multiple sources.one of which is the BOI

It has to be repaid
We are not told how much of the funding is BOI but it is not free money. It carries significant interest and so for BOI it is a business deal

AMCON is not relevant to this conversation

No one I responded to was asking question
They were making biassed claims that it was overpriced without any evidence

Now the question is how much land will be required and how much will that cost in Victoria Island. How much land do you think $50 million can buy in Victoria Island
Secondly Victoria Island planning code is not set up for this
What will it cost to comply?

We simply do not have a shred of information about how the money is to be spent
Asking questions is right

Spewing hateful rants isn't

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by flokii: 10:18pm On Jul 17, 2023
Nice development.. Itesiwaju ilu Eko ni ipinle Yoruba is on course.

The ones that have solution to other people's problems but can't seem to find a fix to their own problems will find a way to downplay this laudable project.

If Abia likes, let it remain in darkness, we'll see who the people in the State will blame going forward.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by plaindealer: 10:20pm On Jul 17, 2023
Nnannapat:

Your money is not connected in any way to the project, it's an IPP and it's privately funded and the targeted end users are private entities.

Your concerns are premature, baseless and unfounded unless you are a power contractor, engineer, financier, power manager and distributor with comprehensive knowledge in the power sector and you are able to produce and compare your own detailed cost of labor, cost of equipment to the last nail, cost of gas, operational and maintenance contract and insurance and so on..

Us usual, most of the baseless and ignorant criticisms we read are always from people with zero meaningful progress and development in their villages where they have the most useless and incompetent village leaders.

Sad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by proeast(m): 10:25pm On Jul 17, 2023
Salewa97:

Otedola didn't build anything. Geregu alongside Alaoji, Papalanto, Afam ii etc were built by the federal government.

Meanwhile, Alaoji in Abia state is bigger than Geregu.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by proeast(m): 10:28pm On Jul 17, 2023
flokii:
Nice development.. Itesiwaju ilu Eko ni ipinle Yoruba is on course.

The ones that have solution to other people's problems but can't seem to find a fix to their own problems will find a way to downplay this laudable project.

If Abia likes, let it remain in darkness, we'll see who the people in the State will blame going forward.

Lol, Abia state has Alaoji power plant, among the biggest installed capacity in Nigeria. Abia state also has Geometric, the biggest privately owned power plant in Nigeria.

So, worry about your state, Abia is already far ahead!

1 Like

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Salewa97: 10:29pm On Jul 17, 2023
proeast:

Otedola didn't build anything. Geregu alongside Alaoji, Papalanto, Afam ii etc were built by the federal government.

Meanwhile, Alaoji in Abia state is bigger than Geregu.

Who owns Geregu power plant currently?

Stop smoking weed. Shey na Abia people build the Plant wey dey there themselves ni? No be foreigner build am?

Dangote refinery wey everybody dey shout. Shey na Dangote build am himself? No be money he put.

For example, na Yoruba man get ShopRite now. He bought it from the previous owners and that gave him the right to own it with his company.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Believeintruth: 10:33pm On Jul 17, 2023
Gajagojo:

It is an Independent power project
Whether it is overbloated is not a relevant conversation

It is not government money

Why are Eboes always unhappy and bitter about Yoruba progress

So anyone who complains about this project is now tagged eboe? Guy why are you so daft?
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Nnannapat(m): 10:34pm On Jul 17, 2023
plaindealer:

Your money is not connected in any way to they project, it's an IPP and it's privately funded and the targeted end users are private entities.

Your concerns are premature, baseless and unfounded unless you are a power contractor, engineer, financier, power manager and distributor with comprehensive knowledge in the power sector and you are able to produce and compare your own detailed cost of labor, cost of equipment to the last nail, cost of gas, operational and maintenance contract and insurance and so on..

Us usual, most of the baseless and ignorant criticisms we read are always from people with zero meaningful progress and development in their villages where they have the most useless and incompetent village leaders.

Sad.
I don't really need to argue with you, the article clearly stated the funding partners, and yes my money is connected to the project because FBN is involved and I hold some fractions of their shares, Bank of industry is also partly owned by me.

I don't need to be connected directly to the project or have a plan to build my own power project before I can be qualified to ask questions where necessary, it is my right to do so, since our national institutions is involved in the project.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jul 17, 2023
mrvitalis:

Bros it's called loan scam
Jumo Ibrahim is expert in this

You buy or build a project A
Infliate the price and value of A(250% real value)
Call your partner in a bank to agree with your valuation
You can then take 75% loan of your value of A
That's 187% real value
Then you run it for a while sale parts you can sale
Default on your loan since the A is your collateral... Banks would now collect A
Seeing it's not the real value... Bank would call amcon who is the chief guarantee of all alone
Amcon buys of the loan from the bank... Try to run the business to gain back the money the rest is history

Dongote refinery is example, Nixon Hilton Nigeria, Arik, air Nigeria, news watch them plenty

Hmmm I have always known this is how most of those CROOKs makes money.

Debt Is Money.

Robert Kiyosaki©

And besides stop engaging Empty Head Eeediots.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Ellasure: 10:56pm On Jul 17, 2023
mrvitalis:

What exactly is expensive in a gas turn?

Burner, compressor or turbine or the amateur?

Lmao turbine is just opposite of a fan... I studied mechanical engineering

There is nothing in gas turbine that can't be made in Aba... We no just serious for this country

There is no how this project would be more than 20 million dollars

U can even buy 30mw turn on a truck

you should really be ashamed of yourself if your claim to have sturdied mechanical engineering is true.

it is your type going about with false freelance talks giving hope to low information government officials that have succeeded in making Nigeria unproductive and thereby lacking true economic growth.

just ordinary turbine like a fan blades in your house. complete moronic. are you deriving joy and happiness deceiving people on nairaland. to me, you have not seen a turbine before talkless of knowing its contents and practical operations.

fyi, the project sponsors have deliberately chosen USD to denominate the costs of the power plant they are constructing in Lagos. if you also care to know, the costs for 1MW turbine was 1million USD pre covid engineering considerations..

I am not involved in the power plant under discussion but they have adequately shut out morons with paper certificate like you with USD calculations.

you are not familiar with what you are writing about. run quickly home.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Nnannapat(m): 10:58pm On Jul 17, 2023
Gajagojo:

This is a rant

What is your point?

The project is not funded by you and me
It is funded by debt and equity from multiple sources.one of which is the BOI

It has to be repaid
We are not told how much of the funding is BOI but it is not free money. It carries significant interest and so for BOI it is a business deal

AMCON is not relevant to this conversation

No one I responded to was asking question
They were making biassed claims that it was overpriced without any evidence

Now the question is how much land will be required and how much will that cost in Victoria Island. How much land do you think $50 million can buy in Victoria Island
Secondly Victoria Island planning code is not set up for this
What will it cost to comply?

We simply do not have a shred of information about how the money is to be spent
Asking questions is right

Spewing hateful rants isn't
You can't possibly term my post as a rant, that is not nice at all, we are all here to gain and share knowledge.

I know that BOI or any other financial institution are not providing the funds for free, but it is also the right of every well meaning Nigeria to ask questions pertaining the cost of the project which they felt is on the high side because the money is theirs. If after the completion of the project and the institutions involved were unable to recoup their funds after the agreed
period due to the fact that the project cost is heavily padded from the onset , then AMCON will come in to bail out the institutions involved and the cycle continues. So AMCON is relevant in this discussion.

Nobody is spewing any hateful rant except that you might have been harbouring some sentiments that made you see criticism of your fellow compatriots as hateful rants.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by AuschwitzPrefec: 11:00pm On Jul 17, 2023
jmoore:
6.4 billion dollars = 14,400 megawatts in Egypt.

13 Million dollars should give 30
megawatts.

But in Nigeria, they are using 50 million dollars to give 30 megawatts.
Jealousy
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Ellasure: 11:07pm On Jul 17, 2023
Nnannapat:
I don't really need to argue with you, the article clearly stated the funding partners, and yes my money is connected to the project because FBN is involved and I hold some fractions of their shares, Bank of industry is also partly owned by me.

I don't need to be connected directly to the project or have a plan to build my own power project before I can be qualified to ask questions where necessary, it is my right to do so, since our national institutions is involved in the project.

some people are hell bent trying very hard to become turbine project engineers on nairaland.

except you have a job interview ahead of you as a projects engineers you should not be driving the argument this way as if your life depends on getting this knowledge.

there are so many wrongs in Nigeria that privatisation of the various sectors of the Nigerian economy will correct wrt time in the short term.

2 Likes

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by PaulH07: 11:07pm On Jul 17, 2023
EcoBrick:

https://thenationonlineng.net/50m-power-plant-in-lagosll-drive-economic-growth/

Soso money for this Lagos, yet nothing to show for it.

Pesin no even sabi where the money dey go sef...
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by misano(m): 11:10pm On Jul 17, 2023
proeast:

Edo has Azura that is already operating. They are planning to kickstart phase 2 of the project which will increase capacity. I think Lagos came late.

2 Likes

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by misano(m): 11:13pm On Jul 17, 2023
Salewa97:

I think the first is Azura in Edo state. Geregu is still making plans. Azura is already supplying 247 electricity to Edo Palace, government house, secretariat and other places. They to kickstart phase 2 soon and that will increase capacity.
Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by Ellasure: 11:16pm On Jul 17, 2023
there are enough free information on the web concerning power plants development, procurement , installation and operations.

if you are coming in as a business investor, I think you need to deliberately put together a team of engineers with relevant exposure and work experience to guide you. there is no small efforts in front end engineering. you just have to be ready to do what is needful to achieve successful investments decisions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: '$50m Power Plant In Lagos’ll Drive Economic Growth’ by misano(m): 11:19pm On Jul 17, 2023
Salewa97:

Who owns Geregu power plant currently?

Stop smoking weed. Shey na Abia people build the Plant wey dey there themselves ni? No be foreigner build am?

Dangote refinery wey everybody dey shout. Shey na Dangote build am himself? No be money he put.

For example, na Yoruba man get ShopRite now. He bought it from the previous owners and that gave him the right to own it with his company.

Geregu is not functioning yet o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari, Sultan Make World’s Top 50 Muslim Leaders List / 2023: Traders Declare Support For Osinbajo (Video, Photos) / Anambra State Daily Road Maintenance Men At Work.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.