Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,069 members, 7,811,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:28 PM

Is Japa Worth It? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Japa Worth It? (37909 Views)

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Oluseglon(m): 12:30pm On Jul 25, 2023
To be very honest with you. Earning in hard currency and living in Nigeria is one of the best opportunities you can get in this life. If you’re not living lavishly you can actually save big to do bigger things. The odd is the insecurity but you can at least stay in a relatively safe location while also developing yourself to earn more remotely.
I live on averagely £2.5 monthly in the Uk just on the basics and nothing extravagant. Imaging having to save even if it’s 50% of that. You can as well relocate if you’re considering your children and setting the background for them to be citizens of better developed nations. The ball is in your court my guy

7 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by ednut1(m): 12:30pm On Jul 25, 2023
grin Its not worth it. Stay back in Nigeria .

I japa to Canada 3 years ago sha, just applied for citizenship. With my Canadian passport i know my unborn children wont face all the uncertainties in Nigeria. I work for one of the top 3 biggest banks in the world with opportunities to work in the USA if i chose to which increases my salary by over by 25%. I still have the opportunity to come back to Nigeria to take up senior management positions, or to work in UAE, singapore and other better places

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by AllenSpencer: 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Whats your age?
Do you want to japa legally or illegally?

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by hopey8088(m): 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2023
The only issue i have with this is just that if he lose this job what then happens, I agree with building your own business but omo, Naija government na discouragement, their head no dey one place and they can't be trusted.

OVB123:
You spoke my mind.

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by yankison(m): 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Please abeg of u which IT skill would u advise me to go for ..check ur DM pls pls
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by EconFinance: 12:32pm On Jul 25, 2023
It depends on your WHY

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Chronosvineberg(m): 12:32pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I'm guessing you're a Blockchain dev. You can't eat your cake and have it bro. If you don't know how to be lonely I suggest you save all that money and build your empire here. If you can cope on your own for many years then move ahead

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:32pm On Jul 25, 2023
smiley smiley Not a bad advise.
michlins:
Earn dollar and spend Naira. Guy nothing sweet pass am. Just find a very good estate and secure your apartment.

Run solar and inverter system for power,get a health insurance scheme from a very good hospital and live your best life here in Nigeria
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by obataokenwa(m): 12:32pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

It's worth it at a long run. If I'm to be given money I spent to UK, I will go back to naija and learn trade and invest instead. But if you come through job with your partner, you guys will make it but you will really be stressed out. I advise you to face your job in naija, learn how to invest in other business and become big man over there. You need to see how we laugh at ourselves here when we came newly at our working place. Pls save alot and invest in naija pls. If the Japa na US, consider it but UK abeg stay back and do your work....learn to grow in it and become whatever you want. I don't want to talk abt the kind of houses we stay here. Picture of what you see on social media is the direct opposite of the life here.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Shikena(m): 12:33pm On Jul 25, 2023
Just don't listen to anyone who has never stepped out of Nigeria. Open your eyes very well so you won't turn to motivational speaker in 10 years time because of missed opportunities. If you can develop yourself to earn $3k monthly from Nigeria, you are the type that will make it anywhere. It is up to you. People suffer everywhere because a cat in Nigeria cannot become a Lion in America or UK. A lion in Nigeria is still a lion in Canada, US or UK. I won't advise on UK though.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:33pm On Jul 25, 2023
Cost of living is rising outside Nigeria, this is a modest advise.
obataokenwa:
It's worth it at a long run. If I'm to be given money I spent to UK, I will go back to naija and learn trade and invest instead. But if you come through job with your partner, you guys will make it but you will really be stressed out. I advise you to face your job in naija, learn how to invest in other business and become big man over there. You need to see how we laugh at ourselves here when we came newly at our working place. Pls save alot and invest in naija pls. If the Japa na US, consider it but UK abeg stay back and do your work....learn to grow in it and become whatever you want. I don't want to talk abt the kind of houses we stay here. Picture of what you see on social media is the direct opposite of the life here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by YemyTemmy: 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:
Earn dollar and spend Naira. Guy nothing sweet pass am. Just find a very good estate and secure your apartment.

Run solar and inverter system for power,get a health insurance scheme from a very good hospital and live your best life here in Nigeria

Best response of the year

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Rawcalculus: 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2023
In all sincerity, Naija is sweet to enjoy your $3000, considering your purchasing power within the country. But my major threat back home was insecurity. I didn’t want to be kidnapped. There was a horrible experience to a close relative back then. However, if you come around. You can getter better jobs, with better pay as a software engineer.

Coming to a country like Canada gives a child born within the territory automatic citizenship, the security is top notch, health services isn’t bad and you can have all other fundamental personal needs as a software engineer and live well here.

I wish you all the best man and those that are still willing to relocate

3 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Creamcrest(m): 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2023
porthouse7:
Nigeria sweet pass any country in the world if u get money, Bleep u all japa crew
Maybe you forgot kidnappers.

They don't call here hellhole for nothing.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by obataokenwa(m): 12:34pm On Jul 25, 2023
After the japa, I new it was stupidity to sell and spend upto 20 million plus with family relocating. That money can do alot with the right business if diligently invested

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Adolfnigeria: 12:35pm On Jul 25, 2023
Bros,

Forget this people telling you not to JAPA. They have no vision.

Yes Nigeria has less taxes etc. But you pay for insecurity, poor health care, no social security,. Bros Nigeria is on a downtrend. Since 1960, look at the value of the naira, political , social , technology, security. Everything is on a downtrend. Forget this visionless people.

People who Japad in the 80's, 90s, and currently saw the future.

Japa , try to get another residence or citizenship. Then decide, if you like nigeria so much come back..

But you see this don-t JAPA crowd, they are visionless, dimwits.

Nigeria is bleeped, only a blind person cannot see it

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by gabicon: 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
This your question is a little difficult to answer appropriately. There are pros and cons on either side, don't fall for the illusion that the grass is greener on the other side. I have people who are qualified professionals who have made it abroad, I also know people who are equally qualified professionals who are still trying to find their feet. I will suggest to look at things from the perspective of longterm vision. Unfortunately, many people that JAPA made their decision on the basics of short term vision, once you get caught up in the rat race, it's all over.
My advice for you is that In principle, determine your vision and in practice setup goals to achieve them.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Muyiii(m): 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
before relocating to another country for a greener pasture a lot factors has to be considered. I noticed you did mention better health care infrastructure. Most people blindly relocate and do not consider so many thriving factors, for instance, in your case you are a software engineer which is skill very much in demand. However, do your research on the standard of living i.e. rent, levies, etc. Do not also forget to check the lifestyle there, is it a country that accommodates other races without bias and discrimination at the work place (this really matters).
So to answer your question do your due diligence properly before jumping the ship because different folk’s different strokes.

FYI I’m a diasporan myself and I’ve been enjoying it for years due to the fact that an cyber security expert, nonetheless there has been times I’ve lost opportunities due to the fact that I am black and Nigerian.

5 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by MT: 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
worldclass68:
I think yes....
Chances of better life for ur kids too...

Cuz even a rich man kid for naija sef dey try japa...

Op, many people use kids to console themselves after they have seen how miserable they have become abroad.

Kids have their lives, you have yours. How many parents can even afford the good private schools abroad?. How many percentage of our kids are in grammar school abroad?. Most schools that Nigerian kids attend abroad are far below average but the parents don't even know in as much as there are white kids attending same schools.

How many parents can eat in good restaurants with their kids? How many parents can even afford to travel with their families to other countries for vacationing? Most Nigeria families abroad do not even enjoy the goodies of life abroad, they can only look at them but can't afford to pay to experience them.

Don't get tripped by "I am doing this for my kids" scheme.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by YorubaPrince: 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
If it's not worth it why are your friends based abroad telling you life is expensive abroad?

Why can't they relocate back to 9ja if life abroad is too expensive?

3 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by gassbee: 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
ecolime:
$3,000 in Naija and you wan JAPA? Don't be foolish son.

If abroad dey hungry you that much, your earning can afford you a yearly vacation anywhere in the world.
he wil be living like a second class citizen overthere, d kind of luxury n comfort he can give himself with his current earnings here i doubt if he can get it overthere .
I wont be surprised if he lands there he wil start driving taxi lol...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Chetas81(m): 12:37pm On Jul 25, 2023
Existence slave roaming around the world instead of developing their motherland, you must aware that most poorest countries belong to Africa continent, people with right sense and ideas have nothing to do with japa 😜

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by online4business: 12:37pm On Jul 25, 2023
If you want to stay outside Nigeria better plan well oooo.

3k is not a full time income in places like California or newyork or an silicon valley town in the us.

Except you want to stay in places like Ohio Mississippi or Wyoming.

This is the mistake most people make trying to japa you land in a city where everything cost you go know say khaki no de leader.

If you intend to stay in Nigeria stay in a good neighborhood.

Pipe low I can't say this more louder... jealous and lazy people full this country and they will increase as Mr shege continue his 8 years.

If you follow all these and miss this next advice devil don pick your call be that... Village dey use Solar connect you be that.

it's so important let me shout it in all caps

NEVER DATE OR MARRY ANY WOMAN WEY NO LOVE YOU 80% More than you love her.

NEVER MARRY ANYONE WHO WILL START COMPLAINING THAT YOU SPEND MORE TIME LOOKING AT YOUR PC THAN HER FACE.

na wetin de gods say make I cap you be dat oo.

I've follow all these advice and so far everything sweet.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by wiseone28: 12:38pm On Jul 25, 2023
millionboi2:
Ppl can lie on nairaland ah hahahaha
we know but just read and pretend as if you don't know 😎

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by pfadom: 12:38pm On Jul 25, 2023
If you earn $3000 while in Nigeria, don't complicate problem for yourself by migrating to a country where the net pay after tax would be much less then your $3000/month.

You shouldn't be under any pressure to rush out of the country.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by mickeyenglish(m): 12:38pm On Jul 25, 2023
When you have a skill that's indispensable universally, then it's worth it..
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by MT: 12:38pm On Jul 25, 2023
YorubaPrince:
If it's not worth it why are your friends based abroad telling you life is expensive abroad?

Why can't they relocate back to 9ja if life abroad is too expensive?

Because they have nothing to fall back on. If their lives could be reversed to what it was before they travelled, most would snatch your arms off to take it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Adespoke: 12:39pm On Jul 25, 2023
Good morning,As a real estate advisor,Here is my to advice to you,Secure a land in a fast developing like Ikorodu or buy a property in a fast developing area,Build a rental properties like 4miniflat or 2bedroom employ a Property manager to manage it for you also build shop front of the property.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Diego35M: 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2023
There's nothing outside these countries, but hardship.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Acidosis(m): 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:

How often do you use the clinic/hospitals in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by darthv: 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:

best advice bro
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Aremu01(m): 12:41pm On Jul 25, 2023
H

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Widow Who Rides Keke, Becomes A Successful Entrepreneur, Inspires Nigerians / Things To Know About Airport Cleaner Girl Who Returned Lost N12m In 2015 / Check Out Amazing Photos Of A Curvy Nigeria’s Female Firefighter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.