Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Is Japa Worth It? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Japa Worth It? (37964 Views)

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by obataokenwa(m): 1:53pm On Jul 25, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Hello bro... I have a close cousin I'm willing to sponsor to study abroad.. US is not an option with the 50/50 visa... I wanted him to come study in the UK den later I bring him over to the states...
My question is, is the UK worth it? ... it's a big investment and I need to know before I start...
Thank you
To be sincere with you. As a single person studying, he won't make it. He will weary you always to send him money for rent and all cos he's only allowed to work 20 hours which is limited mainly to warehouse or cleaning that maybe 14hours weekly. He won't even afford his houserent let alone paying his tuition in full.

Why is it that Nigerians don't want to learn trade and invest. Sincerely, I regret coming here but I know with patience I will recover all I've spent. If he can come through sponsorship, that's fine to work. Abeg leave that education matter as its not worth spending such amount of money. Here we all end up doing training upon training cos that's what they prefer other than school.

Send him to learn a trade in naija and invest on it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:53pm On Jul 25, 2023
Mayfrank:
Please it's worth it.

I used to earn 2.5k USD a month, but the company had to downsize due to failing economy globally. Guess which of us had to go first? Remote workers. Since then no Nigerian job comes close in salary.

It's best to be in that space and work your way up to the top. Job security should be your goal, if you're a career person like myself.

I wish they would listen to you. They think these jobs are everywhere and everlasting

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Senator777: 1:54pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:
Earn dollar and spend Naira. Guy nothing sweet pass am. Just find a very good estate and secure your apartment.

Run solar and inverter system for power,get a health insurance scheme from a very good hospital and live your best life here in Nigeria

GBAM!
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by gfelo(m): 1:54pm On Jul 25, 2023
No place like HOME
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by ZINNYBANKS: 1:54pm On Jul 25, 2023
People in diaspora let's say over 90% of them always say NO to any Nigerian coming abroad.. something is fishy.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by isArray: 1:54pm On Jul 25, 2023
Shikena:
Just don't listen to anyone who has never stepped out of Nigeria. Open your eyes very well so you won't turn to motivational speaker in 10 years time because of missed opportunities. If you can develop yourself to earn $3k monthly from Nigeria, you are the type that will make it anywhere. It is up to you. People suffer everywhere because a cat in Nigeria cannot become a Lion in America or UK. A liom in Nigeria is still a lion im Canada, US or UK. I won't advise on UK though.
Correct, plus it's not just the money, there is so much peace of mind here even though the taxes are high but you can see and feel your tax working

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by SpatialKing(m): 1:58pm On Jul 25, 2023
Nice2023:

Naso the job dey wait for una here.

He pick up the job just like that...so easy.

Nothing is easy
Nothing good comes easy

Up your game learn skills that are relevant to those sectors..eg Monitoring and evaluation, research and development, data analystics, cloud computing etc

Networking too, spend more time building a strong network base on LinkedIn...
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by valarinz: 1:59pm On Jul 25, 2023
shurlermoz:

I will give you only one reason and it should be enough.
You can't plan your life in Nigeria, as you are planning, the government policies and inefficiencies are helping you to unplan it.
You start a business, CBN use monetary policies to destroy it.
You start a farm, fulani herdsmen destroys it.
You can't get a job if you don't know anyone.
You can't get a contract if you don't agree to share almost all your profit.
Insecurity is rife.

You are young, better leave now to somewhere you can plan your life with a high level of certainty.

My brother, where is the lie 😪

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by planetx: 1:59pm On Jul 25, 2023
Go and read all the horror stories about the UK and Canada and how oyinbos themselves are looking for cheaper third world countries to japa to escape the horrible cost of living crises griping those countries, you are earning $ in Nigeria and want to japa? I can only pity you that is if your story is not tales by the moonlight.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
Angelfrost:
Sigh... Why on Earth will someone earning 3k Dollars in Nigeria want to Japa??! It doesn't even begin to make sense.

You probably haven't heard of the statement "A bird at hand", or "The Devil you know..."

Japa is good but not as awesome as your citizens paint on social media! Fact! Why are you guys so easily deceived??!

If your skills are not in-demand in any nation, sit your black ass back in your country.

A word is enough for the wise.

It's not easy to maintain that income in Nigeria. Op can be laid off in the next 5 months and it will take a miracle to see such a job offer no matter how skilled he is.

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by BigDawsNet: 2:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
obataokenwa:
To be sincere with you. As a single person studying, he won't make it. He will weary you always to send him money for rent and all cos he's only allowed to work 20 hours which is limited mainly to warehouse or cleaning that maybe 14hours weekly. He won't even afford his houserent let alone paying his tuition in full.

Why is it that Nigerians don't want to learn trade and invest. Sincerely, I regret coming here but I know with patience I will recover all I've spent. If he can come through sponsorship, that's fine to work. Abeg leave that education matter as its not worth spending such amount of money. Here we all end up doing training upon training cos that's what they prefer other than school.

Send him to learn a trade in naija and invest on it.

Hnmm.. omo, this one thick oh... Shey uk don cast nii or wots happing exactly because people who left to study over dere few years ago are really doing well...

Anyways thanks for ur advice...
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Gokoyer0(m): 2:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
Most people don't earn UpTo 3k USD/month in diaspora.
StemcellNigeria:
Sorry, I really don't get your point. Do you mean most people don't earn $3k abroad or most people earn more than $3k abroad.
Thanks
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by ICaSNg(f): 2:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
Just know if you are currently worth or earning 3000 USD Iin Nigeria- you're worth double or triple in the diaspora. What you need is information on the right country to explore. The Republic of Ireland sponsors work visa for IT Professionals even from outside Ireland, US and Canada likewise.

Ensure you work strictly with the organisation and carry out due diligence on how to find the right Employer and how to sort your visa.

hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by pixey(m): 2:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
To be honest, I envy you. My advise is to evaluate how you see the standard of living in the nearest future. Nigeria as an economy is very unpredictable as a result of political instability and lawlessness.One stupid policy in Nigeria is enough to render your remote job useless and stressful if possible you could even lose it.
Don't just rush to US or Canada or UK.It is terrible especially with their unfavourable tax legislations to immigrants.

If I were in your position,I would stay for a while and gather as much money as possible such land assets for rental incomes annually, investments that is very liquid since you are not earning from Naija .Don't spend excessively on ladies or any other unprofitable frivolities.You don't even need a car to waste fuel.These are your backup plan when you decide to Japa and it goes south.

After gathering such financial wealth, I would recommend going to places of low taxes and tax havens with your remote job.Only go on vacations to UK,Canada or US.I would like to connect with you.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Mayfrank(m): 2:04pm On Jul 25, 2023
See mouths like earn is dollars and spend in naira.

You build a dollar standard of living in Nigeria - solar, workstation and all. When the company downsizes, which Nigerian company will pay you half or a quarter of what you used to earn in dollars.

Then depression follows, people think you have money that you don't. Job security over anything abeg, we are going through a lot as it is.

tensazangetsu20:

I wish they would listen to you. They think these jobs are everywhere and everlasting

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by skj1377(m): 2:05pm On Jul 25, 2023
It is worth it now
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Gokoyer0(m): 2:05pm On Jul 25, 2023
Gbam.
Strugglers can do that but not a single guy earning 3kusd/month.

If he continues to be prudent in spending and investing wisely, imagine what he will be able to acquire in 20 yrs time when his kids want to study abroad. Who will deny them visa?
Greenscientist:

If he wants to do it for his kid, let them experience it for themselves.

Don't go and suffer yourself because of your kids when you can afford to send them there while been comfortable here.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:05pm On Jul 25, 2023
Mayfrank:
See mouths like earn is dollars and spend in naira.

You build a dollar standard of living in Nigeria - solar, workstation and all. When the company downsizes, which Nigerian company will pay you half or a quarter of what you used to earn in dollars.

Then depression follows, people think you have money that you don't. Job security over anything abeg, we are going through a lot as it is.

Immediately I got my first remote job I started planning my movement. I remember the same nonsense talks. I no send. I stayed in my parents house, bought small solar and still maintained myself. Did my research and got what I wanted. I have a lot of friends who are earned more than op but are falling into poverty. They have all been laid off and no jobs again.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by BornToSucced(m): 2:06pm On Jul 25, 2023
Klass99:
Based on what you've shared japa is not worth it for these reasons;

1. Your pay of $3,000 makes sense in Naija and will benefit you more in Naija than jands. Don't ruin a good thing in your quest for something else. I was going to say "in your quest for something better" but I realized obodo is not actually better or as rosy as we like to think.

2. There is a global cost of living crises but some countries are worse hit than others, you have good friends who were honest with you, you best believe them. Watch international news on BBC or Al-jazeera and you'll become aware of this.

3. The narrative that our healthcare and educational sectors are totally wack, is a false and inaccurate one, don't buy into it. There are healthcare and educational institutions in the private sector, who provide quality and reliable services, for example Paelon Hospital in VI, Convenant University and a few others. You can afford them with your kind of pay or are these services now free of charge overseas?

What is it you want to go and do in obodo that you cannot achieve here? No seriously, this is a valid and introspective question you should reflect on. If I were you I will sit my butt down in Naija and actively look into home ownership, instead of packing plenty money to give a foreign country as migration fees. With the kind of money we pay these countries they should at least have 6 months accommodation or a temp job of 6 months waiting for us, to help us adapt and find our feet, then after 6 months they can say you are on your own and it will be a very fair bargain. Can their own citizens cough out the kind of money we do?

I am also facing the same dilemna the op is facing. But the main reason I intend to jappa is because of stunted career growth and lack of promotion. At least travel and get and MBA, then make a career switch from there. Sometimes money is not enough!
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by blesdman(m): 2:06pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:
Earn dollar and spend Naira. Guy nothing sweet pass am. Just find a very good estate and secure your apartment.

Run solar and inverter system for power,get a health insurance scheme from a very good hospital and live your best life here in Nigeria
This is what Nigerians should be thinking instead of this unpatriotic japaism. Invest in the country, deepen the Nigerian e osystem.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by BigDawsNet: 2:08pm On Jul 25, 2023
Biola67:

run canada for the cousin.. apply for 1yr PGD, pay first semester fee about 9k CAD to make the application stronger… present your Bank statement as POF or Tf the tuition balance with maintenance fee.

Wow thank you... really the reason I specifically focused on the UK was because of the flexibility of getting a study permit... so sorry, if u don't mind.. do you hav any particular reasons UK shouldn't be an option
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by vincent7000(m): 2:08pm On Jul 25, 2023
If you currently earn $3000 as a software engineer and you are based in Nigeria then you have no reason to leave, I am based in the United States and trust me when I tell you that life is super expensive… the $3k you earn is almost the amount we pay for bills monthly if you don’t believe me let me do a simple calculation
Rent monthly $1200 car insurance $156, cable $90 phone bills $50 this is just the least not including other bills and Taxes.. so to break even you have to work extra jobs and overtime to save and send money home.

3 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Sirchiboy: 2:08pm On Jul 25, 2023
optimusprime2:
If you are in your early to mid twenties, then Japa by all means.(you can still absorb and adapt new knowledge embedded in culture, with minimal resistance)

But if you are in your thirties or forties... don't even think about it.(You have reached the level of maximum cultural malleability, which may not be easily adjusted)
Why bro.
I am in my thirties.
Can't it work
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Mayfrank(m): 2:09pm On Jul 25, 2023
I'm telling you... nothing sadder than losing a 3k USD/ month job to settle for 300k or 500k naira job (with the grace of God).

For those saying invest, investment is good o. But it's mid and long term goals (whether in abroad or naija).
Person gats survive and pay bills today today.

tensazangetsu20:

Immediately I got my first remote job I started planning my movement. I remember the same nonsense talks. I no send. I stayed in my parents house, bought small solar and still maintained myself. Did my research and got what I wanted. I have a lot of friends who are earned more than op but are falling into poverty. They have all been laid off and no jobs again.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:11pm On Jul 25, 2023
Mayfrank:
I'm telling you... nothing sadder than losing a 3k USD/ month job to settle for 300k or 500k naira job (with the grace of God).

For those saying invest, investment is good o. But it's mid and long term goals (whether in abroad or naija).
Person gats survive and pay bill today today.

300k grin grin grin where? You no even call 50k or 100k. You dey call 300k. With the economic situation of Nigeria if you see any company willing to pay 300k omho hold them tight die but then that money is nothing especially if you live in Lagos. One year savings you no fit buy Corolla grin grin
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Mummyimbecile(m): 2:12pm On Jul 25, 2023
You're good to go bro, come to the US.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Abdul10234040: 2:12pm On Jul 25, 2023
Is not it worth all, since you are paid in dollars and you live in Nigeria, with that amount you can get a very safe place here and work remotely. I'm also interested in becoming a software engineer my, I have started learning programme early this year. I would really appreciate if you can guide me. DM me when less busy. WhatsApp no 07068131540
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Mayfrank(m): 2:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
grin grin You don see am na. Person go get mind tell you say 200k/month is high

tensazangetsu20:

300k grin grin grin where? You no even call 50k or 100k. You dey call 300k. With the economic situation of Nigeria if you see any company willing to pay 300k omho hold them tight die but then that money is nothing especially if you live in Lagos. One year savings you no fit buy Corolla grin grin
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:14pm On Jul 25, 2023
Mayfrank:
grin grin You don see am na. Person go get mind tell you say 200k/month is high

They go all learn sha. Na so them tell us during our time boys eyes don dey clear grin grin grin
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by CyberWolf: 2:15pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Not worth it. I’m currently living abroad and I can tell you from a first hand experience that with $3000 monthly salary in Nigeria, you will live a more decent and comfortable life much more than $3000 monthly salary abroad.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by obataokenwa(m): 2:15pm On Jul 25, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Hnmm.. omo, this one thick oh... Shey uk don cast nii or wots happing exactly because people who left to study over dere few years ago are really doing well...

Anyways thanks for ur advice...
few years ago things were still good. The brexit was the major problem.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Justbeingreal(m): 2:15pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:

Them nor go understand. "The grass is always greener on the other side till you get there and see for yourself"

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Check Out Amazing Photos Of A Curvy Nigeria’s Female Firefighter / I’m The Only Woman At My Job — The Life Of An Oil And Gas Engineer At Sea / When A Nigerian Dad & His 3 Children Are All Pilots(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.