Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,641 members, 7,823,820 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Is Japa Worth It? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Japa Worth It? (38091 Views)

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Ynix(m): 1:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
[quote author=upsupa post=124647323][/quote]
Thanks for the update and inputs, learned new things from this
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by StemcellNigeria: 1:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
Sorry, I really don't get your point. Do you mean most people don't earn $3k abroad or most people earn more than $3k abroad.
Thanks
Rutherford2019:
My advice
I have lived in UK for 4yrs and currently in Texas with my family
Don't japa yet but be ready to japa
Only few people earn #3000 abroad
No nurse or Doctor earn that kind of money abroad unless it's an agency work
It will take you 5+yrs to settle abroad and you will be doing more of menial jobs, infact #3000 is nothing in UK or US
Save up about half of your salary in dollar and be ready to japa when you lose your job but so far you are in this your current position my guy enjoy it while it last
There's nothing abroad even oyibo people use to wonder why we are coming over there because it's not easy for them
NB don't invest the money in Nigeria just be saving up in dollars because you will need it later

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Greenscientist: 1:14pm On Jul 25, 2023
MT:

Op, many people use kids to console themselves after they have seen how miserable they have become abroad.

Kids have their lives, you have yours. How many parents can even afford the good private schools abroad?. How many percentage of our kids are in grammar school abroad?. Most schools that Nigerian kids attend abroad are far below average but the parents don't even know in as much as there are white kids attending same schools.

How many parents can eat in good restaurants with their kids? How many parents can even travel with their families to other countries for vacationing? Most Nigeria families abroad do not even enjoy the goodies of life abroad, they can only look at them but can't afford to pay to experience them.

Don't get tripped by "I am doing this for my kids" scheme.

If he wants to do it for his kid, let them experience it for themselves.

Don't go and suffer yourself because of your kids when you can afford to send them there while been comfortable here.

3 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by bosman4u: 1:14pm On Jul 25, 2023
You are earning $3,000 and you feel that is money?

You are being enslaved by your employer.

Do your research and you will see that a CLEANER in that same company earn more than you.

If I were you, I will save up and move out of Nigeria.

As a Software Engineer, the world is your stepping stone.

I am giving you this advice from the perspective of a diasporan and a player in the ICT world.

A word is enough for the wise.

hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by yewit37486: 1:17pm On Jul 25, 2023
dikings:
Stay for Naija, Obodo na bills o. Dat ur $3k no chinchin for there o

hahahaha @ chinchin cheesy
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by wildikeman(m): 1:20pm On Jul 25, 2023
Save the money to a considerable sum and i you can japa... Nigeria is not safe
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Ikennadesmond: 1:23pm On Jul 25, 2023
Boss, it overworth am, Left Nigeria to the UK on work visa roughly 1 Yr ago and when I aloof back I have achieved work I did not achieve in Nigeria for 6 Yr.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by twosquare(m): 1:24pm On Jul 25, 2023
Save up and go...apart of earning more as a software engineer over there...3000x12 is just 36k, while you should be earning $100k+.

Yes, some will say you will pay tax; sure, but you will still have more than enough in your keep.

Don't think things can't dry up and there is a sort of restriction on Nigerians as we have in the freelance world. You will have the opportunity of both worlds, and get their pali, id card you can use for more remote jobs. It is just a matter of time bro. Don't ever make that mistake.

Also, don't mind those saying you should stay...live your best life in nigeria. Some are still short sighted. Have the opportunity of those worlds. I repeat. Get sense.

hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by alphabbey1(m): 1:25pm On Jul 25, 2023
BERNIMOORE:
is it worth it? yes go and get good learning environment for your children most early schools in canada are free its not about making money....but Get yourself and family composed and organised...my advise though
Your Family can't be composed and organised in private school in Nigeria ?

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by franchasofficia: 1:25pm On Jul 25, 2023
bosman4u:

Do your research and you will see that a CLEANER in that same company earn more than you.

I am giving you this advice from the perspective of a diasporan and a player in the ICT world.

That field is becoming so saturated and Indians, Pakistanis, etc are gradually taking over that sector and they are always the first choice of white employers abroad.

That income isn't bad for a young single man living in Nigeria. He needs to stay back small, solidify his financial background in Nigeria, improve and polish his skills more before thinking of Japa.

If he travels abroad, and fortunately gets a job, highest he would get as a beginner is around $120,000 per month, which is like $10,000 monthly.

Deduct tax
Deduct his monthly rent
Deduct his phone bills
Deduct his internet bill
Deduct his car insurance
Deduct gas and others

He can barely save $3000 and that will come with living average life.

But with his $3,000 in Nigeria now, as a single guy, he can live like a king with $1,000 a month.

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by AllenSpencer: 1:27pm On Jul 25, 2023
franchasofficia:
That field is becoming so saturated and Indians, Pakistanis, etc are gradually taking over that sector and they are always the first choice of white employers abroad.

That income isn't bad for a young single man living in Nigeria. He needs to stay back small, solidify his financial background in Nigeria, improve and polish his skills more before thinking of Japa.

If he travels abroad, and fortunately gets a job, highest he would get as a beginner is around $120,000 per month, which is like $10,000 monthly.

Deduct tax
Deduct his monthly rent
Deduct his phone bills
Deduct his internet bill
Deduct his car insurance
Deduct gas and others

But with his $3,000 in Nigeria now, as a single guy, he can live like a king with $1,000.

You are fvckin current!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Compliant(m): 1:28pm On Jul 25, 2023
Sir, relocate to Abuja, invest in real Estate, buy a house in Abuja, go 247 solar, look for a good redeem school or winners sch for your children, get a good health insurance for the family, get life insurance for your children

Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by twosquare(m): 1:28pm On Jul 25, 2023
Don't mind him...he doesn't know the worth of a software engineer and how much they really earn...a quick google research will fix that and want to stay in inflation-ridden nigeria where people are being driven into extreme poverty. Instead of him to have both advantages, come do vacation for Naija if he like this place so much.
bosman4u:

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Gokoyer0(m): 1:29pm On Jul 25, 2023
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by bdon12: 1:29pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

Its worth it.i personally have spent over 4 mil trying to japa wit my family bt canada don deny us visa twice therefore u giv up
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by KIDfurniture(m): 1:29pm On Jul 25, 2023
If ur story is true sa you earn in dollars . I expect u to get a better employment out side Nigeria only . Run away from study visa plz . If I’m in ur shoes I will only go abroad for holidays. Who told you everybody is enjoying abroad ? Many nigerians are suffering and looking fresh abroad.

$3000 monthly salary lol - God punish japa

hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by theamazonguru(m): 1:31pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:
Earn dollar and spend Naira. Guy nothing sweet pass am. Just find a very good estate and secure your apartment.

Run solar and inverter system for power,get a health insurance scheme from a very good hospital and live your best life here in Nigeria

Op read this again and again.
Live your best life here.
With money in your hand you can enjoy the best here.

See the bills you pay abroad will make that $3000 look like you earn $500.

What's the point living an average life outside the country when you can enjoy the best money can buy?

You can always go for vacation yearly.
My opinion.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Nice2023(m): 1:32pm On Jul 25, 2023
SpatialKing:
No matter what at least

Get a post graduate degree in any top rank schools abroad another especially in USA, UK or Canada.

Then come back to Nigeria to pick up international organizations jobs like UN, USAID, UK Aid etc..
Or country office of Microsoft, Cummins Inc, KPMG, PwC, etc..

Better still join NCC, NIMASA, NNPC etc

Naso the job dey wait for una here.

He pick up the job just like that...so easy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by abuhusna1: 1:32pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

Japa is not fir everyone but for someone like you in tech who have things to offer it worth it as you can ear up to 100k usd as an experience tech guru

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by BigDawsNet: 1:37pm On Jul 25, 2023
franchasofficia:

Deduct tax
Deduct his monthly rent
Deduct his phone bills
Deduct his internet bill
Deduct his car insurance
Deduct gas and others

But with his $3,000 in Nigeria now, as a single guy, he can live like a king with $1,000 a month.

He won't get $120k arriving has a foreigner...
You will need to earn lots of experience in that new country to get salary raised...
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by seanwilliam(m): 1:40pm On Jul 25, 2023
Your pay is 2.5m monthly, 30m yearly in Nigeria. You’re among the 10% of population earning ‘well’.
If I were you , I’ll move to the most secure Estate in your state , buy 2012 rx 350.. do health insurance , then start investing on real estate..

If you feel like going abroad, go for vacation .

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Olarewaju89: 1:41pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

You earn over 2 million naira every month and you are complaining of japa.

Na waoo

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by abuhusna1: 1:41pm On Jul 25, 2023
Japa now cos the company you work for now might dump you and it my be difficult getting another one from naija but if you are abroad you will see numerous job opportunities

5 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by ednut1(m): 1:42pm On Jul 25, 2023
Shikena:
grin You want him to be enjoying his $3k a month until "Nigeria" happens to him abi? I call Nigeria the grandmaster of mirage where anything can change in a moment.

you want him to live average life abroad Nigeria is the best 😉
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Shikena(m): 1:43pm On Jul 25, 2023
ednut1:
you want him to live average life abroad Nigeria is the best 😉
grin grin grin grin Master of sarcasm

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Gokoyer0(m): 1:46pm On Jul 25, 2023
With that salary in a place like Canada, the tax deduction will not be less than 37.5%.
Can people in USA verify tax deduction on 120k USD salary?

Op, dey play dey play. They say you can earn 10k USD/month. Ask them what will be your take home from it. How much are you going to pay for rent in place where get 10k USD/month job? Let him go to LinkedIn/Quora and ask questions from gurus in his field who are blacks/Nigerians. He comes to Nairaland to be more confused.

Japa is for strugglers! My neighbor that left for UK in 2021 has returned with his family. They sold their bungalow before they left and returned few months ago into a rented 3 bedroom apartment in another area. Many don't have the courage to do what this family just did. For instance, I learned that to renew 2.5 yrs visa for a family of 4 will spend around 15k pounds..
franchasofficia:

Deduct tax
Deduct his monthly rent
Deduct his phone bills
Deduct his internet bill
Deduct his car insurance
Deduct gas and others

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by faoogoke(m): 1:46pm On Jul 25, 2023
Why not go spend a month holiday with your friends before deciding to stay or not.

My brother just relocated abroad with his family. IT specialist visa. He had been earning dollars from here but was reluctant to relocate.

His wife brother who is into IT along with his wife persuaded him until he agreed.

He is doing great there now.

I advise you broaden your IT earning means before taking the leap.

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Mayfrank(m): 1:48pm On Jul 25, 2023
Please it's worth it.

I used to earn 2.5k USD a month, but the company had to downsize due to failing economy globally. Guess which of us had to go first? Remote workers. Since then no Nigerian job comes close in salary.

It's best to be in that space and work your way up to the top. Job security should be your goal, if you're a career person like myself.

hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Angelfrost(m): 1:49pm On Jul 25, 2023
Sigh... Why on Earth will someone earning 3k Dollars in Nigeria want to Japa??! It doesn't even begin to make sense.

You probably haven't heard of the statement "A bird at hand", or "The Devil you know..."

Japa is good but not as awesome as your citizens paint on social media! Fact! Why are you guys so easily deceived??!

If your skills are not in-demand in any nation, sit your black ass back in your country.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Biola67: 1:49pm On Jul 25, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Hello bro... I have a close cousin I'm willing to sponsor to study abroad.. US is not an option with the 50/50 visa... I wanted him to come study in the UK den later I bring him over to the states...
My question is, is the UK worth it? ... it's a big investment and I need to know before I start...
Thank you
run canada for the cousin.. apply for 1yr PGD, pay first semester fee about 9k CAD to make the application stronger… present your Bank statement as POF or Tf the tuition balance with maintenance fee.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Shikena(m): 1:50pm On Jul 25, 2023
twosquare:
Don't mind him...he doesn't know the worth of a software engineer and how much they really earn...a quick google research will fix that and want to stay in inflation-ridden nigeria where people are being driven into extreme poverty. Instead of him to have both advantages, come do vacation for Naija if he like this place so much.
Don't mind our people. Isn't that what smart people have been doing for ages? There is a reason why diaspora remittances is a huge chunk of our economy, even the struggling still find it in their hearts to send money home. How many at home are of any use to people around them when needed? If he is the investor type, then after some years he can move his base to Nigeria and tap into investment opportunities. To those saying the rich are staying in Nigeria, yes a wealthy person can stay anywhere in the world, even in Niger Republic or Chad and live comfortably.

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by vickydevoka(m): 1:52pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

It all depends.if you are not doing well at ll and you are single. U need to Japa bcus marrying in Nigeria without money is hbp. U go de quarrel with your partner very time. If you loose your job u have finished. No matter how a lady loves u she can't feed you more than 6 months with out complaining or telling all her family n de world what she is passing through.
I need to Japan. After 10 yes come back 9ja n do what ever u want to do. Life is a sacrifice. Don jazzy leave marriage to make am. Staying abroad for ever no make sense

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

7 Things You Should Never Discuss In The Office / Anambra Lawyer Slumps, Dies In Court Room During Trial / What Would You Do If You Were His Boss? See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.