Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,714 members, 7,824,024 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Is Japa Worth It? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Japa Worth It? (38096 Views)

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Tolzeal(m): 2:16pm On Jul 25, 2023
From someone who earns a little more as yourself in Nigeria . I would say move.

Moving means you’re creating more opportunities to earn more money. $3k is not a lot of money. There is a room to earn more and build wealth. If you can combine these two jobs together .

Moving forward, Reason why people move differs ! To me I’d say it’s for my unborn kids and finding love of my life . I reckon this might not happen to me in Nigeria . So my intuition told me I have to move and take the chances .

Also I’m in a little above mid 20s , So I can risk it all hoping for the best. For someone like you , You wouldn’t be subjected to menial jobs when you move with opportunity to earn more when you get here and create a life for your offspring.

Again, Most people giving advice here don’t earn up to 3k a month so try filter to people that do make more or almost as you

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by sojiadebayo: 2:18pm On Jul 25, 2023
Nobody even remind this one he earns over 24m /month yet he is still not comfortable . He seems to be one of our greedy politicians
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by na2016: 2:19pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:
Earn dollar and spend Naira. Guy nothing sweet pass am. Just find a very good estate and secure your apartment.

Run solar and inverter system for power,get a health insurance scheme from a very good hospital and live your best life here in Nigeria

Take this advice and save in dollars. Else that 3k dollars in abroad isn't much

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by dopedan(m): 2:21pm On Jul 25, 2023
Following…
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Biola67: 2:21pm On Jul 25, 2023
BigDawsNet:

Wow thank you... really the reason I specifically focused on the UK was because of the flexibility of getting a study permit... so sorry, if u don't mind.. do you hav any particular reasons UK shouldn't be an option
People are avoiding Uk for just two reasons;
- complicated pathway to citizenship
-low wage

3 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Winneygirl(f): 2:22pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:
Earn dollar and spend Naira. Guy nothing sweet pass am. Just find a very good estate and secure your apartment.

Run solar and inverter system for power,get a health insurance scheme from a very good hospital and live your best life here in Nigeria

Guy, why are you so wise like this
That solar/inverter system is mad. 24 hours power supply. It is when you have it you will realize that life is not as hard as they say.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Psammmy(m): 2:22pm On Jul 25, 2023
If you earn 3000$ in Nigeria, my dear don't travel if wealth is your aim of Japa.
Most European dont earn that much at the end of the month, Americans or Canadians I don't know.. However, if your aim is to live and raised a family in a sane climate where, there is safety of life and property for both you and your family , constant electricity, good infrastructures and calm life, then by all means travel..
But personally, I would advice you not to based on you salary to travel, I think you can live a good life in Nigeria based on that salary..

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Firefunmi2014: 2:23pm On Jul 25, 2023
Klass99:
Based on what you've shared japa is not worth it for these reasons;

1. Your pay of $3,000 makes sense in Naija and will benefit you more in Naija than jands. Don't ruin a good thing in your quest for something else. I was going to say "in your quest for something better" but I realized obodo is not actually better or as rosy as we like to think.

2. There is a global cost of living crises but some countries are worse hit than others, you have good friends who were honest with you, you best believe them. Watch international news on BBC or Al-jazeera and you'll become aware of this.

3. The narrative that our healthcare and educational sectors are totally wack, is a false and inaccurate one, don't buy into it. There are healthcare and educational institutions in the private sector, who provide quality and reliable services, for example Paelon Hospital in VI, Convenant University and a few others. You can afford them with your kind of pay or are these services now free of charge overseas?

What is it you want to go and do in obodo that you cannot achieve here? No seriously, this is a valid and introspective question you should reflect on. If I were you I will sit my butt down in Naija and actively look into home ownership, instead of packing plenty money to give a foreign country as migration fees. With the kind of money we pay these countries they should at least have 6 months accommodation or a temp job of 6 months waiting for us, to help us adapt and find our feet, then after 6 months they can say you are on your own and it will be a very fair bargain. Can their own citizens cough out the kind of money we do?

Some of us in UK are not earning £2000 net in a month . We pay rent of £700, council tax £ 140, Energy £140, water bill£42, internet £ 35. Road tax £ 28, Insurance £51 grocery for family of 5 £300, how much remains.

You cant quickly fix your car like Naija, you have to book to see GP before they can attend to you in hospital.

What about unconscious bias.

You are better off in naija if you work from home and you don't have to face traffic .

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by sukkot: 2:24pm On Jul 25, 2023
Fsboperator2:

Only if it's the US.

Canada and UK nah scam.

Germany is cool but there is the German work ethics and OCD that will drive you mad.

Avoid EU entirely because like Canada and UK, it's a tax plantation.

Australia and New Zealand are fcked beyond repair.

Thank me later
can you expand on how canada is a scam
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by madridsta007(m): 2:24pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

If you are in your twenties, no wife or kids, it is worth it.
If you have a family, it is not worth it unless your wife earns & contributes and you have saved enough.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Salowise: 2:26pm On Jul 25, 2023
lordchiz:
Oga over worth it ...
Gather am save till 250k.....u can't suffer outside
Make him save $3k until e turn $250k for how many years naa?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by SIRTee15: 2:26pm On Jul 25, 2023
franchasofficia:
That field is becoming so saturated and Indians, Pakistanis, etc are gradually taking over that sector and they are always the first choice of white employers abroad.

That income isn't bad for a young single man living in Nigeria. He needs to stay back small, solidify his financial background in Nigeria, improve and polish his skills more before thinking of Japa.

If he travels abroad, and fortunately gets a job, highest he would get as a beginner is around $120,000 per month, which is like $10,000 monthly.

Deduct tax
Deduct his monthly rent
Deduct his phone bills
Deduct his internet bill
Deduct his car insurance
Deduct gas and others

He can barely save $3000 and that will come with living average life.

But with his $3,000 in Nigeria now, as a single guy, he can live like a king with $1,000 a month.

If as a family man, he's earning 10k per month and can't safe 3k monthly, then he needs a financial adviser. Maybe he needs his wife to manage his money.
What's he spending on that takes 7k monthly. That means anybody earning below 7k can't safe at all.

The way some of u exaggerate this cost of living abroad, u would think na elephant and hippopotamus dem they chop.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Nice2023(m): 2:26pm On Jul 25, 2023
SpatialKing:

Nothing is easy
Nothing good comes easy

Up your game learn skills that are relevant to those sectors..eg Monitoring and evaluation, research and development, data analystics, cloud computing etc

Networking too, spend more time building a strong network base on LinkedIn...

But u made it sound easy.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by overseasnbeyond: 2:27pm On Jul 25, 2023
If the company will be paying you $3,000 monthly for a long time, you may consider staying in Nigeria but if otherwise or unsure. please Japa
People will always tell you is not easy but give it a try, keep the same energy and you will get better offer.

Case study
I started with housekeeping, cleaning hotel room when i came here at the rate of $4 per room and at most i do between 10-20 rooms per day depending on the days of the week making about $600 every two weeks.

Later got promoted as night shift front desk officer making $850 every two weeks.

and now am blessed with a job of average $4000 every two weeks.
and still looking for job with better pay

Japa if you can don't let people discourage you.

hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

5 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Firefunmi2014: 2:29pm On Jul 25, 2023
ZINNYBANKS:
People in diaspora let's say over 90% of them always say NO to any Nigerian coming abroad.. something is fishy.

Because they have experienced both. I won't say you shouldn't come but you face the reality when you get here.

When I dey naija, I can dash someone 100k without blinking my eyes but I can't give you £100 . £100 is my fuel for one month .

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by planetx: 2:29pm On Jul 25, 2023
Fsboperator2:

Only if it's the US.

Canada and UK nah scam.

Germany is cool but there is the German work ethics and OCD that will drive you mad.

Avoid EU entirely because like Canada and UK, it's a tax plantation.

Australia and New Zealand are fcked beyond repair.

Thank me later
Why did you say Australia and New Zealand are fvcked beyond repair? I agree with the Canada and UK being scam part though.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by isArray: 2:34pm On Jul 25, 2023
michlins:

When the job is no more, how is he going to maintain all these? Cause these things you mentioned cost an arm and a leg cheesy
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by SpatialKing(m): 2:36pm On Jul 25, 2023
Nice2023:

But u made it sound easy.

For those that understand..

Before I left Nigeria for the US I had worked for

World bank project
USAID
UK FCDO
Plan International
Creative Associate
Palladium
Nutrition international
UN WFP

I'm not bragging, just trying to let you know that is possible...

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by sukkot: 2:37pm On Jul 25, 2023
obataokenwa:
After the japa, I new it was stupidity to sell and spend upto 20 million plus with family relocating. That money can do alot with the right business if diligently invested
are you regretting your move ?

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Exceed15: 2:37pm On Jul 25, 2023
Dey speak grammar. You better get out of this country.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by MadeMan01(m): 2:38pm On Jul 25, 2023
Its worth it. But go with legal papers and legal status
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by erumena(m): 2:40pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

IT IS NOT WORTH IT!!!! Trust me, I know!!!
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by lordchiz(m): 2:42pm On Jul 25, 2023
Salowise:

Make him save $3k until e turn $250k for how many years naa?
Can't u see he said per month?
That's 36k in a year......before 7yrs....he has it already
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Charliepecca(m): 2:45pm On Jul 25, 2023
Enjoy your money in Nigeria. People travel for a better life abroad. With your money, you can have the good life here
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Derring: 2:48pm On Jul 25, 2023
Op, many people telling you not to japa haven’t seen an opportunity to . Let me tell you one thing you need to know, you can’t work in that place forever. Now considering Nigeria instability, Nigeria might happen to you and all things invested gone! Go where you’ll grow in ur career and have job security, japa is not an easy task now but make sure you avoid UK. Your best bet is Canada , cos USA is more complicated now with their H1-B or EB-1 visa.

3 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tosinhtml: 2:48pm On Jul 25, 2023
Gokoyer0:
With that salary in a place like Canada, the tax deduction will not be less than 37.5%.
Can people in USA verify tax deduction on 120k USD salary?

Op, dey play dey play. They say you can earn 10k USD/month. Ask them what will be your take home from it. How much are you going to pay for rent in place where get 10k USD/month job? Let him go to LinkedIn/Quora and ask questions from gurus in his field who are blacks/Nigerians. He comes to Nairaland to be more confused.

Japa is for strugglers! My neighbor that left for UK in 2021 has returned with his family. They sold their bungalow before they left and returned few months ago into a rented 3 bedroom apartment in another area. Many don't have the courage to do what this family just did. For instance, I learned that to renew 2.5 yrs visa for a family of 4 will spend around 15k pounds..

Lmaooo, this is very funny. Did this really happen to your neighbors or you’re just joking around.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by kwasoly(m): 2:52pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

Paraphrase the question to is suffering in the country really worth it.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Angelfrost(m): 2:54pm On Jul 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

It's not easy to maintain that income in Nigeria. Op can be laid off in the next 5 months and it will take a miracle to see such a job offer no matter how skilled he is.

This is true... I agree.

Anyone with such a job should have an exit plan... The main thing is to save and pile up the dough, even start thinking about long-term investments.

Japa is great if you truly have the skillset in high demand.

3k Dollars in 6 months is 18k... That's not bad for a low-tax economy like Naija!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Middleborn: 2:58pm On Jul 25, 2023
This is what you should do and be discreet about it.

You earn over 2.4 million Naira a month here in Nigeria, that means if you save up 50% of your earnings you will have 14 million a year. In 2 years you will have 24 million, in 3 years you will have 38 million, during this time you will have to upgrade yourself and know your job very well. With this money and a better knowledge of your skill you will be irreplaceable to any company anywhere in the world...then you can chose to go to any country you want, perhaps the highest bidder.

Don't rush, trust me. Build yourself, DON'T allow any distraction like women, club, drugs, etc. Be disciplined and in 3 years nobody can stop you. just take it that you will start enjoying your life better when you are 32, then put your head down without looking up and learn for 3 years...you will thank me by the year ending of 2026.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Derring: 3:01pm On Jul 25, 2023
Middleborn:
This is what you should do and be discreet about it.

You earn over 2.4 million Naira a month here in Nigeria, that means if you save up 50% of your earnings you will have 14 million a year. In 2 years you will have 24 million, in 3 years you will have 38 million, during this time you will have to upgrade yourself and know your job very well. With this money and a better knowledge of your skill you will be irreplaceable to any company anywhere in the world...then you can chose to go to any country you want, perhaps the highest bidder.

Don't rush, trust me. Build yourself, DON'T allow any distraction like women, club, drugs, etc. Be disciplined and in 3 years nobody can stop you. just take it that you will start enjoying your life better when you are 32, then put your head down without looking up and learn for 3 years...you will thank me by the year ending of 2026.

What if he gets laid off by the company before even one year?
Remote jobs ain’t guaranteed!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by hademmy: 3:03pm On Jul 25, 2023
My brother going through your question, my own take is that you should JAPA, this are my reasons:
1. Future is acertain for your unborn children over there compare here. Good testimonies from my children friend that travel few years ago that their dad make right decisions for selling most of his properties but to a better country, bro
2. Establishing business, brother it is at your own risk, handly businesses grow in this country of ours today, the policies day in ,day out , frustrate businesses, learning from companies that have left this country to better places. Learning from my own aspect, I sold my property to put up a business two years now, I won't lie you brother, i am regretting it, is it all the govt calamities that happened towards election that befall businesses, cashless, inflation, self centered and to buttress it , your employees that are looking for a way to drain you, think twice , brother
3. You said your friends are telling you things are hard there, there are greater percentage that Nigerians in diaspora don't always tell the truth, those western country are well structure to the extent that life would be comfortable for indigene and foreigners, it is not structure for you to use all your earnings to pay bills,the problems is that ,they are in no man's land and want to leave extravagant life, so what do you expect to hear from such person.
4. Looking ahead of you to 8 years to this time, with the present government, knowing cabals, knowing few that are threatening this country, seeing those thatbhas been in power past 1979 still in power,none has been imprisoned instead you celebrate them, the question is that would this country get edge way 8 year to come. I come to remembered a friend of mine in US, do tell me since 1993 that this country can not be better ,I do fought him but looking at it today and what's going on presently..... My brother Japa wey sure well is the key and live life where there is equality before the law, where there's fairness at all levels, where there's job opportunities...... Name it..... I rest my case

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by uchennamani(m): 3:04pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I think you should japa for two reasons.

First, even if you japa and it doesn't worth the trouble, though unlikely, you would always come back to Nigeria. This is because you have a job that pays 3k per month.

I'm sure you are aware that the 3k they you as a remote software engineer in Nigeria is small compared to what you will earn when you move over there.

So, please japa. No time, bro.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

7 Things You Should Never Discuss In The Office / Anambra Lawyer Slumps, Dies In Court Room During Trial / What Would You Do If You Were His Boss? See Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.