Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,933 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Is Japa Worth It? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Japa Worth It? (38012 Views)

Is ICAN Exam Still Worth It In This 2021 / Should I Take CFA Exams And Is It Worth It? / Government Work Is Not Worth It After All (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Chetas81(m): 12:54pm On Jul 25, 2023
Aeman:
Think of being better? Japa is the way, think of being of better use to your generation? Japa is the way
only god knows why black African citizen find it difficult to develop their motherland, even to replicate what they see in abroad they can't 😂

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Creamcrest(m): 12:55pm On Jul 25, 2023
Rutherford2019:
My advice
I have lived in UK for 4yrs and currently in Texas with my family
Don't japa yet but be ready to japa
Only few people earn #3000 abroad
No nurse or Doctor earn that kind of money abroad unless it's an agency work
It will take you 5+yrs to settle abroad and you will be doing more of menial jobs, infact #3000 is nothing in UK or US
Save up about half of your salary in dollar and be ready to japa when you lose your job but so far you are in this your current position my guy enjoy it while it last
There's nothing abroad even oyibo people use to wonder why we are coming over there because it's not easy for them
NB don't invest the money in Nigeria just be saving up in dollars because you will need it later
The fact that you are in the US doesn't mean you know it all,if you move in with the right visa and go for good paying jobs like tech, healthcare you will surely enjoy the USA.

There's nothing abroad but you have refused to come back to the eldorado naija.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by AllenSpencer: 12:55pm On Jul 25, 2023
Fsboperator2:

Only if it's the US.

Canada and UK nah scam.

Germany is cool but there is the German work ethics and OCD that will drive you mad.

Avoid EU entirely because like Canada and UK, it's a tax plantation.

Australia and New Zealand are fcked beyond repair.

Thank me later

You are current!

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Kennyohio(m): 12:56pm On Jul 25, 2023
I will advise you not to japa with a decent pay of $3,000

Just buy assets here in Nigeria such as Real estate. You will get double or triple with the investment.

Also, you will have crazy tax compared to when you japa.

However, you can still decide to go on 2 or 3+ months vacation to the best place in the world.

Bro, just flex yourself with earning in USD and spending in Naira, even with the current exchange rate.

You can secure more foreign jobs sef, to add to your existing.

Wish you the best
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by porthouse7(f): 12:56pm On Jul 25, 2023
Creamcrest:

Maybe you forgot kidnappers.

They don't call here hellhole for nothing.
dem don kidnap u or any member of ur family b4

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by HaneefahRN(f): 12:57pm On Jul 25, 2023
If you earn $3000 staying in Naija, what do you want to japa for?

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Ventura1: 12:58pm On Jul 25, 2023
You can live comfortably here and conveniently safe more ($2K) of your $3000 in Nigeria than abroad. You'll strive to save $500 after deducting bills and taxes.

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Greenscientist: 12:58pm On Jul 25, 2023
chineduisaac:
Stay here in Nigeria. Live in a very suitable neighborhood in cities like Abuja. Go on vacations to any part of the world yearly.

I believe we have top schools and hospitals here in Nigeria. But if that's not ok for you, send your children abroad for studies and go abroad for health issues. I think if you save and invest well, you can afford them

I love your point. If at all he wants abroad so much he should send his kids and occasionally go on vacation there.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by obaidan: 1:00pm On Jul 25, 2023
It all depends on your goals in life. I believe 3k dols is good income in naija and if u really plan well, you will live very well.
However, as a software engineer, if you easily find your way abroad, you will easily get the opportunity to triple that income u make in naija, much more in some cases..

It all depends on what will make u happy as a person and the kind of life u want to live. Don't forget when you start sending kids to school in naija, an income of 5k a month may not afford you an opportunity to live some luxury.
But if u are bullish....in naija u can grow with that ur income

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Kaiser20: 1:01pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:

Thanks Tommy. I am 29. Any particular reason why in my 20s? Please every single information count.
Look for any country where people don't suffer if it warrants searching another planet outside of where we are now.
There is suffering on this planet oh.
Me want to forget Europe and visit Mars, Moon, or any other.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Fsboperator2: 1:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
AK481:

Nigeria nko ?

The likes of OP earning $3,000 monthly doing tech can still get jobs around the work through remote networking like fiver.

There are tonnes of opportunities in Nigeria and working from Nigeria in his field without tax issues and having to bend to woke ideology.

Even relocating to the US now as tech guru is dumb .

AI technology will see to coders who currently earn thousands of dollars per hour of remote work flipping burgers within the next 10ys.

Yes Nigeria is hell currently from a social perspective but the west will be one in the next ten years.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by BigDawsNet: 1:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
Larsvegas:
wat is d process involved in getting a work visa

You will have to secure a job and get a work sponsorship before you can move your process to applying for a work Visa..

To be honest.. if you looking for fast route... focus on studies... get addmission, pay fee and apply for study visa...

Work route is not that fast... but if you can relax and wait till you get a sponsorship.. den it's d best
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Nononsense247: 1:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
BERNIMOORE:
is it worth it? yes go and get good learning environment for your children most early schools in canada are free its not about making money....but Get yourself and family composed and organised...my advise though
If una don hear free una brain dey scatter .. oyinbo go do free things... Dey play ... You will pay indirectly

4 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by yewit37486: 1:02pm On Jul 25, 2023
MT:

Op, many people use kids to console themselves after they have seen how miserable they have become abroad.

Kids have their lives, you have yours. How many parents can even afford the good private schools abroad?. How many percentage of our kids are in grammar school abroad?. Most schools that Nigerian kids attend abroad are far below average but the parents don't even know in as much as there are white kids attending same schools.

How many parents can eat in good restaurants with their kids? How many parents can even travel with their families to other countries for vacationing? Most Nigeria families abroad do not even enjoy the goodies of life abroad, they can only look at them but can't afford to pay to experience them.

Don't get tripped by "I am doing this for my kids" scheme.

When people talk about 'doing it for their kids', I chuckle. First of all, they should go and check what is in their curriculum, check what they is being fed into their minds in the schools, a lot of which they will have absolutely no control over. Check the culture they will assimilate, e.g. a culture where old people are abandoned in their old ages and put in homes.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by timilehyin01(m): 1:03pm On Jul 25, 2023
Take it from someone who has japa and is doing well..if I truly earn $3000 monthly..stay dere for now

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Kelechi009: 1:04pm On Jul 25, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Just know that if you choose to stay here plan it very well so if you lose your job you don't get stuck or fall into poverty. Met a lot of devs who earned more than you are doing and blew the money. Jobs gone and they don't know what to do.

This doesn't make sense, you cannot fall into poverty if you earn 3000 every month for one year.
That's almost 20 Million Naira in savings. You are a multi millionaire after one year.

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Nononsense247: 1:04pm On Jul 25, 2023
optimusprime2:
If you are in your early to mid twenties, then Japa by all means.

But if you are in your thirties or forties... don't even think about it.
Why?
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Dyfynezz12(m): 1:04pm On Jul 25, 2023
Bro 3k dolls is a lot in naija
Diversify ur income by investing
Nothing sure 4 abroad esp if u don't have some1 to stay with at ur initial time of arrival.
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by SIRTee15: 1:06pm On Jul 25, 2023
Software engineering is a global profession that's hot cake and in massive demand.
If u know your worth and u confident of your skill, u can plan relocation via work visa route. Find a good and reputable company to sponsor your visa.

Don't settle for anything less than 100k dollars per year irrespective of the country. That the equivalent of the 36k dollars u are earning working from Nigeria.

U may consider less for South Africa, it also has cheaper cost of living with world class facility and unwill enjoy the African cultural flare. Trust me u won't miss home.

Pls don't go to middle east, they are not dependable and they will throw u out if they find u troublesome irrespective of your contract agreement. Dem no send all those Kain tins. I will recommend middle east only for upcoming professionals or if u working for western companies that has office in middle east.

Asian countries is neither here nor there, u will get bored even if they pay u well and eventually leave.

Western countries apart from America may not give u good value for money in short term. On the long run, u have to be good and well skilled in IT to hit the big salaries and enjoy your career. Otherwise u get stuck.

If any company in America offers u h1b visa, pls don't think twice. Enter the plane the next day.
If u dont hit 250k per yr within 5 yrs working in IT, just know u be otondo software engineer.

Pls don't waste your time and money doing any student visa route, just go for work visa. Browse LinkedIn and sell yourself well. If u good, u will get positive response.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:07pm On Jul 25, 2023
Kelechi009:

This doesn't make sense, you cannot fall into poverty if you earn 3000 every month for one year.
That's almost 20 Million Naira in savings. You are a multi millionaire after one year.

That's true however if you inflate your lifestyle excessively you are bound for poverty. Like someone already advised him to move to a high brow estate. You know how much that will cost alongside other auxillary services and bills. He should continue as he was and just add some things to make life more comfortable and save. There were a lot of people earning even more than op who lost their jobs and are struggling to keep head above water now. Even 250k a month job no dey. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Nononsense247: 1:07pm On Jul 25, 2023
ican2020:

You are wrong here and pray that Nigeria does not happen to you

I lost my wife in April this year not because of lack of money but rather due to very poor health infrastructure
When you are faced with instant health crises that's when you know how backward Nigeria is

Life is just ones and if you can afford to japa to a great country even if you are 70 years old (the new environment will give you more vitality thereby aging gracefully)

Take those who can or are making money continuously either with their phones, laptops or as investors, japaism matters as long as you can work in your home and enjoy the atmosphere unlike here where over 70 percent citizens live in watch your back environment

I am way older than my elder sister who is in Europe with her family
Kosi... So people no dey die for oyinbo country bah... Uh na like dey worship oyinbo... Life is life ... Celebrities die there too even In hospitals... Am sorry for your loss ooo... I really am... People die everywhere abeg... Even mad human for road side dey chop dirty food no quick die sef .. Anybody fit die anywhere ooo

3 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by yewit37486: 1:08pm On Jul 25, 2023
MT:
Op, lastly consider where the advice is coming from.

Abroad is a step up for most people that have travelled. Individuals that couldn't even get a visitor's visa to any country on a norm. Individuals that were roaming about in Nigeria doing nothing. Of course, getting to abroad, wearing leather jacket, snapping pictures with whites at the background will be the ultimate for such.

Conversely, think about individuals in the same league as you, their perspectives will be different. Their definition of success will be top notch and not premised on frivolities.

What are the qualities of those whites that some individuals mix with over there. Most of these white are not educated, not skilled or exposed. They are the equivalent of low level, unskilled people in Nigeria. You will see a skilled, educated Nigeria snapping pictures with such individuals, and still feeling on top of the world, simply because they are both working in a care home. You will see such pictures littering their Facebook pages.

Your skills dictate to you that you should live differently than this. You should roll with the best of the whites, which you are currently enjoying remotely.

Op, ask again, what quality of individuals are advising you. Iron should sharpeneth iron.

Enough said

Well said.

An apt description of a person with an inferiority complex re: the facebook pictures, very easy to tell.

6 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by tshtsh: 1:09pm On Jul 25, 2023
The word japa is vague. Or do people just leave Nigeria for the sake of it ? With $3,000 a month you can live comfortably in Nigeria but please don’t assume that money will keep coming as anything can happen. At the same time please don’t take your hard earned money and give any school for the mere sake of japa. I have nothing against schooling abroad because I also once attended an ancient British university to study computing but it was solely based on academic reasons at a highly rated university.

Fast forward to a few years later people now use study as a pathway to japa spending millions and attending lowly rates schools paying the amount of fees that even Anglo Saxons cannot afford. People have always moved abroad via study but not at this rate. Not everyone is doing great abroad and depending on how you go abroad the system can take much more than you’ll get out of it. There is a cost of living crises in many advanced economies right now and I also had my own share of challenges when I left Nigeria.

I applied to live in Canada via express entry while working as a software engineer shortly after covid. I was 30 and had a good income. It took about a year to get the PR approved but I later developed a cold feet towards moving abroad because it didn’t make sense to me to leave my job and take dollars to Canada. I opted to look for a remote/hybrid job in Canada and accepted one before moving. I landed a few days before the job start day and stayed at a friend’s house for two weeks , earned my first salary before moving to a temporary accommodation.
Renting a house was difficult because no landlord trusted me ( Color , lack of credit history, lack of job history in Canada and other factors ). I saw the good side and the bad side. Canadians were complaining about cost of living and house prices. Housing was a debate everywhere. I began to wonder why Nigerians sold their properties to come and start life in Canada. Most Canadians today cannot qualify for a mortgage hence if you own a house you should be a proud home owner and not dispose it easily to finance flight tickets , school fees and a few months of rental.
If you want to japa try and get a job that will finance your work permit and some of your initial costs. Alternatively apply for one of these tech immigration programs that won’t cost you too much.

For those that went to U.K. as students the will pay international student fees, annual health surcharge and will continue to wary about visa extension/ visa switching / immigration issues till they become ILR holders which will take anything from 7 to 10 years of uncertainty. As with anything in life there are pros and cons . Career opportunities in software engineering are more in U.K./Canada compared to Nigeria there are many other things we want and desire as individuals

20 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by BigDawsNet: 1:09pm On Jul 25, 2023
obataokenwa:
It's worth it at a long run. If I'm to be given money I spent to UK, I will go back to naija and learn trade and invest instead. But if you come through job with your partner, you guys will make it but you will really be stressed out. I advise you to face your job in naija, learn how to invest in other business and become big man over there. You need to see how we laugh at ourselves here when we came newly at our working place. Pls save alot and invest in naija pls. If the Japa na US, consider it but UK abeg stay back and do your work....learn to grow in it and become whatever you want. I don't want to talk abt the kind of houses we stay here. Picture of what you see on social media is the direct opposite of the life here.

Hello bro... I have a close cousin I'm willing to sponsor to study abroad.. US is not an option with the 50/50 visa... I wanted him to come study in the UK den later I bring him over to the states...
My question is, is the UK worth it? ... it's a big investment and I need to know before I start...
Thank you
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by fidkaitoo: 1:10pm On Jul 25, 2023
Over worth de worry the japa oooooo please decide fast
Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Nononsense247: 1:11pm On Jul 25, 2023
AK481:
Your skill set answers it all.

If you loose this remote job, will it be easy to get another ?
If you get another ,will you be paid the real worth of the job as a remote worker.

When you are good in IT, you are good and people will sort after you especially off remote .

It depends on your age , you can travel and continue your remote job while you get a better one there .
The one he dey do na you find am for am... If he Sabi the work he will get another one easily ...

1 Like

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by dikings(m): 1:11pm On Jul 25, 2023
Stay for Naija, Obodo na bills o. Dat ur $3k no chinchin for there o

3 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by begra8fl: 1:11pm On Jul 25, 2023
Please there is nothing you are going to do in Europe or USA, Canada if you earn $3000 monthly in Nigeria. You are already in the 20% of the society. Even if you are abroad your $3000 or even $7000 will burn out immediately. You will pay 25% - 40% taxes depending on where you find yourself. You are probably paying no taxes on your $3000 and rightfully so. Nigeria offer little incentive for the youth. You will pay $1200 - $1500 monthly for a decent rent in the western world. You can use that to rent for a year in Nigeria. You have a head start so do the following.

Save your money, buy real estate and enter in a low risk business that guarantees your ROI (Return on Investment). Replicate yourself by teaching others those skills and employ them to make more money. Buy grains and store it you will make 100% on your investment every 6 months. That will be your vacation money to anywhere in the world with a lot of comfort. You need to only go on vacation and not japa.
Make sure you give back to society by some charity or look for people to improve their lives.

I am sharing from experience. All the best

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Nononsense247: 1:12pm On Jul 25, 2023
MT:
You are already enjoying the best of the two worlds. You are earning what others over there can only dream of, yet you live in an environment that is not overly regulated by government, which means your expenditure is minimal.

Abroad has peaked. With your skillet in Nigeria, you can also identify a particular area in Nigeria and automate it. Use the banks as a leverage for your Fintech idea and start making lot of money.

But if you insist you must go, aside vacationing, I suspect you will soon open another thread of lamentations of Jeremiah.
Leave am na .. many wey dey shout Japa here no really get Wetin dem dey do here .. you can't be making that much in this country and be shouting Japa if not for show offs ..

5 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by Kaiser20: 1:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
Ventura1:
You can live comfortably here and conveniently safe more ($2K) of your $3000 in Nigeria than abroad. You'll strive to save $500 after deducting bills and taxes.
De guy day lie joor, which one be $3k a month in Nigeria and still posted rubbish like someone on 75k naira per month

2 Likes

Re: Is Japa Worth It? by franchasofficia: 1:13pm On Jul 25, 2023
hazinibones:
Hello Nairalanders,

I have this decision bothering me. I know it is a personal problem, but I believe everyone need some guidance at every point in life.

Straight to it, I have been considering Japa for over two years now and I think the opportunity might be here but I am having a cold feet.

I recently started working for a foreign company as a software engineer and the pay is decent when converted to Naira. Enough to live an averagely comfortable life. But my challenge now is that, I have been talking to some friends that are outside the country and they keep telling me how life is not easy there and cost of living is super expensive out there.

I currently earn $3000, which I plan to either save and travel or startup a business here in Nigeria. Please, Nairalanders with experience, is it worth japa to live an almost average life for almost the rest of your life or investing here in Nigeria and growing wealth?

The healthcare and quality education benefit is there as an advantage for japa though.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
with $3,000 monthly salary in Nigeria, you don't need to Japa for now.

What you should do starting today?

1.) make it compulsory to save $2,000 every month in your domiciliary account. Don't save less.

Manage $1,000 monthly no matter the pressure to spend more as a high income earner, avoid any urge to spend more.

2.) At the end of every year, find a reputable real estate company or agent and buy land in an estate with full papers with a budget of $5,000 to $10,000 in the biggest city where you originally came from in Nigeria.

If you are Igbo, buy it in any of these cities:

Owerri
Onitsha
Asaba
Enugu
Avoid Lagos for now, Lagos state government new land laws coming will be harsh to none Yorubas.

3.) Don't start any business now, don't ever try it. Focus on your job and saving money.

4.) Keep improving on your skills through more internationally recognized trainings, invest in this.

5.) Reduce how you travel outside the state you live. Avoid night outs. You can enjoy at day time, avoid night movements at all cost.

You can enjoy in your house since u are single.

6.) Plan a vacation to EU countries like; Estonia, Lithuania, Malta, etc and when you get there use your schenghen visa to tour Europe by train to widen your international exposure.

7.) If you must marry now, plan it well, don't marry a liability, don't marry a lady without saleable skill or career thinking u are rich or have arrived. Marry a lady that will help you solidify your financial growth and even grow more.

If you must marry, marry wisely. Avoid instagram, tiktok queens and co. Avoid any lady that is a social media freak, most of them are empty. Quality ladies are never social media freaks. I speak from experience. I have plenty married friends with quality wives, and I have single female friends, I know the quality ones and how they use social media.

DON'T START ANY BUSINESS NOW PLS, AVOID IT FOR NOW!

Instead of starting business, invest in buying lands not building any house. Just buy empty lands in secured estates. Building house doesn't worth it for you at your age. You need empty lands more than house now. Avoid any advice to build a residential house, it's a financial waste for you at your age. Instead buy more empty lands with government papers in secured estates!

Na only mumu young people de build residential house or even rented apartment, none of them is profitable. I speak from experience, learn from me

24 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

When A Nigerian Dad & His 3 Children Are All Pilots(pics) / Man Refuses To Come Out Of Grave Because His Money Not Fully Paid - Photo / Personalized SAP Training Course In Lagos And Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.