Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,496 members, 7,830,499 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? (23988 Views)

I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname / I Will Not Bear My Husband’s Name-What are the Consequences? / My Husband Doesn’t Want My Son To Come And Stay With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Aragon001: 5:07pm On Jul 26, 2023
I also want to drop my family name ever since I got to know about it history. My old man was told by my mom to use his father surname as our surname but the stubborn man said his family must continue and can't be lost and that he is proud of it and want the name to continue thru his descendants.
When I was in primary sch, my dad step sis saw my full name and was displease with the naming saying none of us his children should be bearing the family name since the name is clan/community name. She also said by using it as our surname, my grandfather name is lost which should have been our surname.
And I love my grandfather name which is Michael rather than bearing a family name and of which family am also not proud of talkless of bearing the name. Imaging bearing the surname of a great, grandfather and having to bear the same surname with relatives far and near who you have no close relationship with. And who also hate us becos of the ethnicity of my mom. But what can I do the damage is done and all my important documents have the surname there.
So I decided to drop my father name as my middle and give myself a second name, as I don't want my children to bear his or his father name. They will bear the name I give them plus my first name and second name as their surname.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Exmilitant(m): 5:10pm On Jul 26, 2023
vickydevoka:

Yes I am I will bear James Ruben. N I will be treated by a Yoruba man fairly
You are a tribal bigot I see.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Ferdinandu(m): 5:10pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

Am the last born in my family and there are too many ups and downs and wahala in my family because it was a polygamous home and my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father 😭😢
So how I wish I should start my life with my own fresh lineage from my wife and children. Like I don't want to be part of the father tree again.

I gave birth 3days ago and I don't want my son to bear my surname 🤔 I want my own name to be his surname so my father lineage will be cut off
☹️

Please is there any future implications in this decision?
Or rather something bad behind this decision??

Thanks 😌
It is just superstition that makes you think the surname your children is bearing is going to affect them except in obvious case where the surname is a well respected and recognizable surname which can open doors or surname that has a very bad reputation. Let's say Obasanjo, Azikiwe or bad name like Anini. If your surname isn't like that, it is useless having sleepless name over surname. We all grew up to see some family turn from the turncoat of the community to the force of the community, some force of the community becomes nobody. Give your children the training and opportunities your father did provide for you and forget about names
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2023
talented321:
The kind things some men dey think sef'' wetin concern my father concern my precious kid. Your father did mistake u don't like fine, now it is left for u correct those mistakes in ur time. Oga stop been too emotional abeg
Use whatever name u like it is ur son.

You are the one who’s being emotional because at the end of the day, you didn’t say anything meaningful
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by talented321: 5:16pm On Jul 26, 2023
Ayebe
FOOTSOLDIER2:

You are the one who’s being emotional because at the end of the day, you didn’t say anything meaningful
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by HaneefahRN(f): 5:19pm On Jul 26, 2023
Unfortunately we can't chose who our parents are. Unlucky of you to have a bad one. There is nothing like fresh lineage cos you still have his DNA and his descendant.
You are free to use whatever name you want as your children's surnames.
On another note be a better father to your children so they don't develop negative feelings about you later too
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by CJStarz: 5:26pm On Jul 26, 2023
Dis one na mumu raised to the power 10. U think say to change surname for your children mean say you don cut off from the family tree?
Olodo. E no cross your mind say this pikin fit grow to be your papa pro max? He fit carry all your father's terrible attributes because of the blood ties..... certain things run in the blood or genes!
Changing the surname means nothing. Just ask God for wisdom to raise your son in the fear of God. Remove bitterness and unforgiveness from your heart because you would be destroying your child the more if he he becomes as malicious as you are.
Forgive ur dad and move on.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Allisgud: 5:28pm On Jul 26, 2023
Exmilitant:
If you want to begin a new chapter with your kids fine but have in mind that one of them must take after your hated father.

I have a British friend who boast of their family name. He said the name have been in the family for 600 years. And I believe there must have been scoundrels and all sorts along the line in the family but none of them planned to changed that name anytime soon.

OP, I hope you don't plan to call him, Samuel Peter or Francis Emmanuel or Philip Paul?
Abeg we be Africans o.
things like this happen when one of the generation become rich and popular and that surname is everywhere e.g segun is the name but they know him as Obasanjo,it is very sweet when u are the one who uplift ur family name

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by elbulk(m): 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

Am the last born in my family and there are too many ups and downs and wahala in my family because it was a polygamous home and my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father 😭😢
So how I wish I should start my life with my own fresh lineage from my wife and children. Like I don't want to be part of the father tree again.

I gave birth 3days ago and I don't want my son to bear my surname 🤔 I want my own name to be his surname so my father lineage will be cut off
☹️

Thanks 😌

Yes it is, all through primary school my brother and I use my father's first name as our surname
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Aragon001: 5:30pm On Jul 26, 2023
OKOATA:
Oga what if your lineage name is a curse on its own. For example someone bearing Ifadairo and he changes the name to Fadairo cos he doesn't want the IFA to be there? Some names are cursed ancestrally in the spirit realm. Everything isn't as it is.

Exactly just like my father surname which means possession and they were pagan idol /sea goddesses worshippers. I sometimes ask myself whose possession he belong to? Thank God I was born into Christianity and really want that name to end with me since I unfortunately bear as my surname and really hate it.(all thanks to my dad who love his ancestral surname)

1 Like

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by YelloweWest: 5:40pm On Jul 26, 2023
Candidlady:
Hmmm

The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree...

my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father

Don't know why ifind this so funny......

You don't wanna have anything to do with your father.. and you have a son now... Ijust pray your son doesn't choose same path!!!

If he chooses to be the opposite of his dad, he will be fine with his kids.
Some fathers are horrible!
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by annford: 5:41pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

I understand your pains. na the same boat carry both of us. I am from a polygamous family and wish I never met my father.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by achimendy(m): 5:42pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

You can't cut off from your root bro, every man on earth have a lineage, and the surname is what indicates that. If your father offended you by doing some certain things in the past, is real simple, just dont follow his footsteps, try and make a difference.

Although me am answering my own father's native name as my surname, but that doesn't mean I don't know my grandfathers surname. When we go to the village, the ones that don't know us will ask who's ur father, so we either mention my father's native name or my forefathers name, and they're familiar with both names. So they easily recognise you from your father's name.

Except maybe your father's name is affecting you spiritually then I'll advise you go ahead.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Obesity(m): 5:43pm On Jul 26, 2023
Funny .

Your kids should bear your name and you can stop bearing your grandfather's name
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by coolik247: 5:45pm On Jul 26, 2023
That your name that you want your son to answer, is it not your father that gave it to you Just dey play😅😅
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Coolgent(m): 5:48pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

If you are a Muslim it very simple just do it, as it's encourage.
otherwise contact a lawyer
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Cassandraloius: 6:02pm On Jul 26, 2023
This is absolutely nothing to worry about, go on and change that surname.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Coolgent(m): 6:08pm On Jul 26, 2023
adamma24:
There are many people using their father first name as their surname...e plenty for naija here....so no biggy..

You are right,
Muslims must use his father name as his/her surname
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by MasterShifu010(m): 6:15pm On Jul 26, 2023
Everybody in my family bears thesame surname , not just my immediate family , even extended , all my cousins including except the ladies that got married , and all males in my family have the same nickname , it’s the title of our ancestors ,
OP do whatever you want cos of the nature of your family , but as for me , our surname is so popular that if you come to my village and say your looking for the house of 📇…… they’ll bring you to our compound …..
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by BluntCrazeMan: 6:21pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌
Yes.

At the Hospital.

Just tell them what they will write as the Surname inside the Birth Certificate..

No matter what theory they give to you,, just refuse.
Tell them that the new surname is what you want for the baby.
And that the baby can change it when he or she grows.

That's for the name alone.

As for the Family TREE 🌲🌲🌴..
You cannot cut it off..

Blood still binds all of you together.
The baby is still part of the kindred and bloodline.

Your father is still going to be his grandfather,, whether you take the baby 🐥🐥 to him or not.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by bigtt76(f): 6:26pm On Jul 26, 2023
And when you are no longer around, your son wants to marry, ends up marrying his cousins (your steps siblings' daughter vice versa) shei na dat you go like? cheesy

Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by abbey621(m): 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2023
Your father is a nobody, his father was a nobody, you're a nobody and more than likely your children will also be nobodies so no wahala, you're free to assign them any surname.

This problem is only relevant to those whose surname carries significance, those whose surname actually matters and those with something to lose or gain by changing or keeping it......I COME IN PEACE!

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Prettychild(f): 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌
There is nothing wrong in it. Your children will bear your name and you can still bear your surname
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Prettychild(f): 6:35pm On Jul 26, 2023
Candidlady:
Hmmm

The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree...

my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father

Don't know why ifind this so funny......

You don't wanna have anything to do with your father.. and you have a son now... Ijust pray your son doesn't choose same path!!!

His son will only choose the same path if he ends up behaving like his father
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Blackdisciple(m): 6:37pm On Jul 26, 2023
It's possible bro your choice, Na your pikin no be anybody own, your home your choice...
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by bamdexfarms(m): 7:00pm On Jul 26, 2023
My first name is a native name, my surname is English. I can not even explain the level of stress I pass through in Europe regarding my surname, because they find it hard to believe that my surname is English while my own name is native. Most times they assume that my names are surname/first name are swapped by error. I always have to reconfirm that the English name is my actual surname. I wont want my children to pass through this stress, therefore they will bear my name as their surname.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Smartguyboy(m): 7:33pm On Jul 26, 2023
There’s nothing there to think about my kids won’t answer our family name . They will start from my name as I want to build a name for myself.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Xammie001(m): 7:37pm On Jul 26, 2023
MY SON DOESN'T HAVE MY SURNAME TOO
JUST GIVE HIM THE NAME YOU WISH TO AND ADD THAT HE'S WAS GIVEN BIRTH TO BY YOU THAT'S ALL
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Great007: 7:53pm On Jul 26, 2023
My question is who gave you your first name? Your Dad or your mum?
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by sojiadebayo: 8:03pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

The only thing is you can't take that child abroad as your child that's all
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by HRMK: 8:04pm On Jul 26, 2023
IT IS POSSIBLE TO USE YOUR FIRST OR OTHER NAMES!ALL YOU NEED IS COURT AFFIDAVIT!!
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Watinhapen(m): 8:19pm On Jul 26, 2023
There is no implication. Your children are yours, not your father’s. Personally, my children will bear my name as their surname. I’m my father’s child, so I will be the one to bear his surname while my children bears my name as their surname.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How & Why do siblings fall apart? / 10 Marital "Nevers" / How Are You Surviving In This Economy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.