Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,009 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? (23826 Views)

I Don't Want To Bear My Husband's Surname / I Will Not Bear My Husband’s Name-What are the Consequences? / My Husband Doesn’t Want My Son To Come And Stay With Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by josite: 8:30pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

Am the last born in my family and there are too many ups and downs and wahala in my family because it was a polygamous home and my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father 😭😢
So how I wish I should start my life with my own fresh lineage from my wife and children. Like I don't want to be part of the father tree again.

I gave birth 3days ago and I don't want my son to bear my surname 🤔 I want my own name to be his surname so my father lineage will be cut off
☹️

Please is there any future implications in this decision?
Or rather something bad behind this decision??

Thanks 😌

The beta way is to accept it is your father that hurts you ,not your forefathers .

So just add your name to your forefathers name eg master........tayo-okokobioko assuming tayo.is ur name and okoko Bioko is ur surname.

Praying ur father's lineage be wiped is your wiping yourself out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by 4ward4: 8:31pm On Jul 26, 2023
tojahh:
My daughter uses my name. Funny enough my name is an English name as I don't have a native name.

My father will always laugh when my daughter introduces herself.

Funny but pitiful. Surnames aren't for fun,it's all about the family tree. You just setting up the young lady for a likely intimate relationship with a very close Cousin unknowingly...
That particular Name a family is known for in the Village is actually the Surname and shouldn't be replaced, yours can be used as middle name to Show whose daughter of the Surname ,she actually is.
Of course you only have just your small nuclear family, but your Surname have a thousand generation of you spread across the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by pongwa(m): 8:31pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

Am the last born in my family and there are too many ups and downs and wahala in my family because it was a polygamous home and my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father 😭😢
So how I wish I should start my life with my own fresh lineage from my wife and children. Like I don't want to be part of the father tree again.

I gave birth 3days ago and I don't want my son to bear my surname 🤔 I want my own name to be his surname so my father lineage will be cut off
☹️

Thanks 😌
you have every right to do so. Good luck
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by grafixdon: 8:56pm On Jul 26, 2023
Changing your father's name means nothing expect you can flush his blood from your system
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by vickydevoka(m): 9:15pm On Jul 26, 2023
Exmilitant:
You are a tribal bigot I see.
Yes I am, just as most Afonjas
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by ohis4u2(m): 9:24pm On Jul 26, 2023
My kids and my wife bears my name as their surname
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by fineboynl(m): 9:44pm On Jul 26, 2023
carbon1224:
It’s your own personal decision to change your sons name but if I won’t advise you to do so for so many reasons.first the family name doesn’t belong to your father but your great grand fathers and there will be a time that your son might need to identify him self to able to achieve something more important and they request for family route then you would now understand the consequences of the change.Remember in the next 30 years from now there will always be a change in everything and he might want to go for political post and you go understand .
what about david mark and goodluck jonathan?
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by MyAmericandream(f): 9:50pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

No biggie bro. I use my father’s name as my last name.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Bluntemperor: 9:55pm On Jul 26, 2023
talented321:
The kind things some men dey think sef'' wetin concern my father concern my precious kid. Your father did mistake u don't like fine, now it is left for u correct those mistakes in ur time. Oga stop been too emotional abeg
Use whatever name u like it is ur son.

Bro,you have Sense!
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by ojuolu(m): 10:08pm On Jul 26, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌
Simple thing. I have 3 already. They all bear my first name as their surname. Afterall, I gave birth to them and no known law mandate it that they must bear my father's name. My dynasty start from me.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by mfm04622: 10:23pm On Jul 26, 2023
ImaIma1:
First step to complicating your child's life...

1. Make his surname different from yours.

When you face challenges later in life because of this, you will reminder the day you changed it and regret.

What challenge? Give example.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Iykmann(m): 10:36pm On Jul 26, 2023
You sound so childish. What is the relationship between your surname and your father's attitude? I believe they are other people in your family that are doing just fine with the name. The name is not the problem, the problem is from you and your father.
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by judges: 11:27pm On Jul 26, 2023
You can give your father's name to your children but my children us bearing my name not my father's name. No body help me to give birth to my children.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Uhtred(m): 1:03am On Jul 27, 2023
I bear my father's name (not his surname), My kids have my name on their Birth Certificate (not my surname).

Just put your name on his birth certificate as his/her last name.

Simple.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by sonofsteven: 2:11am On Jul 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
I believe all that is required is that you write your name on his birth certificate and then indicate the first name and last name (include any other names if necessary) you wish for him to bear right there in the same certificate? undecided

But he will one day ask about his father's relatives or grandparents besides, you didn't tell him to change DNA,RNA blood etc

Abi e no matter?
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Kobojunkie: 2:20am On Jul 27, 2023
sonofsteven:
■ But he will one day ask about his father's relatives or grandparents besides, you didn't tell him to change DNA,RNA blood etc Abi e no matter?
Does the same name need to be attached to them in order for their DNA to remain same or what? undecided
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by JudahBlakk: 6:14am On Jul 27, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

Let him bear your name ALONE!
But remember, na that same papa wey u no like give u that your name. How u want do now? Hahahaha!
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Conciergeofcrim: 7:21am On Jul 27, 2023
It's very much possible,I for instance don't bear the same surname as my dad.Reason is that the family name has a negative meaning,"death has done me wrong" and he didn't want it to have effect on his children.My surname is so unique that only I and my siblings bear the name.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by UnfairLife7(m): 8:12am On Jul 27, 2023
Candidlady:
Hmmm

The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree...

my father was one of the man I mistakenly ever met on earth and unlucky for me he is my father

Don't know why ifind this so funny......

You don't wanna have anything to do with your father.. and you have a son now... Ijust pray your son doesn't choose same path!!!

if he didn't do what his father did to him to his son then no cause for alarm

There's consequences for every action in life
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by harborlargy(m): 8:36am On Jul 27, 2023
You're just coward and stupid for writing this. If your father had some flaws you're not happy with, let it be between the two of you. Why are you bring the newborn baby into your mess?. Let him be your wife's surname then, mumu!
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by sonofsteven: 8:43am On Jul 27, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Does the same name need to be attached to them in order for their DNA to remain same or what? undecided

Based on what the man wrote,his family disgusts him and he wished he was never born into it, so for everything to erase such,he needs to do some works spiritually and physically na

Abi e no go still get root after change of name??

He still needs to change state of origin plus village etc... but in all, no matter what we shouldn't try to see our blood as some people that disgust or irritate us, it was never our fault we were born into such family, we should just tolerate

What I know about change of surname traditionally o be say

In 1 or 2 generation, you either change the 2nd generation surname to your father's name...eg, as an nwa'for igbo, if I don born now, my kids will either use my grandfather's name or my father's name as their surname, but not my own name as a surname or something...

I don't know of any other except he asks those rooted to the culture and if any consequences

Cause there are some traits that may sprung up in tampering with somethings, everything no be about education or science, we need to acknowledge the fact that tradition dey..

For example:mother's side(maternal) na stronger place than the father's house especially when it comes to spiritual works, but let's not go into that

My point be say, answering different surname is not the way to go even if you wan answer,you are free to look at your grandfather or great grandfather's name to answer... if he checks, he will notice that the surname he is answering is different from the surname of past generations but changing surname cus of that is not the best way to go

If you change surname, na the same blood connect una, and some traits dey there

Hope you get where I dey go
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by sonofsteven: 8:50am On Jul 27, 2023
talented321:
The kind things some men dey think sef'' wetin concern my father concern my precious kid. Your father did mistake u don't like fine, now it is left for u correct those mistakes in ur time. Oga stop been too emotional abeg
Use whatever name u like it is ur son.

Honestly bro

I suppose give you Nigerian breweries make u drink all as them dey produce am

I can never have this kind thought or disgust for my family to reach that extent

Abi na my fault say he born me

Now I don see myself in such circumstances, plan should be how do I avoid those mistakes and be a better person to my kids and siblings

So because mama na mad woman or thief in the cause she gave birth to me, make I disown am? Na to find solutions
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by djseanjohn77: 8:58am On Jul 27, 2023
Tayorshd87:
From a friend though

☹️

Thanks 😌

Firstly, he can bear your name, as long as it is one of the names on your name. However, the name you are rejecting does not also belong to your father, it is an inherited name as well, so, your argument or decision does not match. Simply use another excuse for changing the name.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by talented321: 9:04am On Jul 27, 2023
Many of them has been brainwashed by social media kids' so they are always emotional and always in the blame game'' how can u insult ur family in such manner or it is because the forum is faceless.
You are blaming ur father' now it is u turn u need to do better than him, learn from his mistakes instead of taking them excuse.
Bro i just wonder how some people are raised.
sonofsteven:

Honestly bro

I suppose give you Nigerian breweries make u drink all as them dey produce am

I can never have this kind thought or disgust for my family to reach that extent

Abi na my fault say he born me

Now I don see myself in such circumstances, plan should be how do I avoid those mistakes and be a better person to my kids and siblings

So because mama na mad woman or thief in the cause she gave birth to me, make I disown am? Na to find solutions
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Timini95: 9:25am On Jul 27, 2023
It is very possible. I bear my father's name as surname, and my husband equally gave our daughter a surname from his father's name, not even from his own name or his family. Your child can bear any name
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Incrediblekutty(m): 10:27am On Jul 27, 2023
Nothing bad about that actually. You can change it if you want. I plan to give my children the combination of my Dad's name and mine as their surname, I will change the extended family surname
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by sonofsteven: 10:39am On Jul 27, 2023
talented321:
Many of them has been brainwashed by social media kids' so they are always emotional and always in the blame game'' how can u insult ur family in such manner or it is because the forum is faceless.
You are blaming ur father' now it is u turn u need to do better than him, learn from his mistakes instead of taking them excuse.
Bro i just wonder how some people are raised.

It's just the era of social media, anyone can just spread their dirty linen outside

This generation is becoming something else and I don't know how the next two will be

Very wrong to come to such forum and be saying stupid things about your family even to the extent of knocking the father.. they say how you lay your bed,na so you go sleep on am.. so if the parents had done good,I bet this dunce wouldn't be here to insult them... and na so the blame game go dey go round, he will make mistake at some point or in order to be better than the parents in this his angry state,he will breed or go hard on innocent kids which will in turn bite him

Family attitude does not warrant having hatred to this extent, na something wey you go just dey ur own,when gathering reach,you fit show and immediately run

May God no give person children wey go abandon their root
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by talented321: 10:52am On Jul 27, 2023
Is not easy bro'' well thanks
sonofsteven:

It's just the era of social media, anyone can just spread their dirty linen outside

This generation is becoming something else and I don't know how the next two will be

Very wrong to come to such forum and be saying stupid things about your family even to the extent of knocking the father.. they say how you lay your bed,na so you go sleep on am.. so if the parents had done good,I bet this dunce wouldn't be here to insult them... and na so the blame game go dey go round, he will make mistake at some point or in order to be better than the parents in this his angry state,he will breed or go hard on innocent kids which will in turn bite him

Family attitude does not warrant having hatred to this extent, na something wey you go just dey ur own,when gathering reach,you fit show and immediately run

May God no give person children wey go abandon their root

1 Like

Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by litaninja(m): 12:17pm On Jul 27, 2023
Simply put whatever names you want on the registration of birth. That's all.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On Jul 27, 2023
sonofsteven:
■ Based on what the man wrote,his family disgusts him and he wished he was never born into it, so for everything to erase such,he needs to do some works spiritually and physically na Abi e no go still get root after change of name??
■ He still needs to change state of origin plus village etc... but in all, no matter what we shouldn't try to see our blood as some people that disgust or irritate us, it was never our fault we were born into such family, we should just tolerate

What I know about change of surname traditionally o be say

In 1 or 2 generation, you either change the 2nd generation surname to your father's name...eg, as an nwa'for igbo, if I don born now, my kids will either use my grandfather's name or my father's name as their surname, but not my own name as a surname or something...

I don't know of any other except he asks those rooted to the culture and if any consequences

Cause there are some traits that may sprung up in tampering with somethings, everything no be about education or science, we need to acknowledge the fact that tradition dey..

For example:mother's side(maternal) na stronger place than the father's house especially when it comes to spiritual works, but let's not go into that

My point be say, answering different surname is not the way to go even if you wan answer,you are free to look at your grandfather or great grandfather's name to answer... if he checks, he will notice that the surname he is answering is different from the surname of past generations but changing surname cus of that is not the best way to go

If you change surname, na the same blood connect una, and some traits dey there

Hope you get where I dey go
1. Nothing spiritual or the sort to this. Simply changing one's name will suffice. Acknowledging the problem and working to avoid a recurrence or repeat all has to do with will and discipline. undecided

2. None of that is necessary to distance yourself from these people since they do not own the village and LGA. undecided
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by gannod(m): 6:47pm On Jul 27, 2023
My kids don"t bear my surname, they bear my name.
Re: I Don't Want My Son To Bear My Surname. Could This Be Possible? by bukatyne(f): 8:51pm On Jul 27, 2023
For husbands who bear different surnames from their wives & kids, how do you navigate it?

I believe a family should have singular surnames.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Soldiers Rescue 14 Pregnant Teenagers, 8 Children In Abia - Photo / Am I Married To Him? / Whose Name Should I Put On Papers Of The Car I Intend Buying For My Married Sis?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.