Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,708 members, 7,831,213 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? (52867 Views)

Who Did I Offend? / I Had 6 C6 In My Waec And 1 B3 Did I Try And 2 D7 / How A UNILAG Lecturer Pestered A Married Woman For Sex - Wale Gate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Daxray07(m): 6:10am On Jul 31, 2023
It's not too much but "it's much". Imagine after paying almost 200k for just one child's tuition you'll still have to pay extra 50k just for diction? If I spend that amount on my pikin, he better be speaking like Shakespeare after a week oh, hence head go roll!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Desusi: 6:17am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

For my friend to recommend me, then you should know I'm a pro in what I do.

Any child I take, the schools must ask questions. I remember when I was taking one saint saviours student, their school fees then was 400k, the teachers were always asking the parents who is this boys lesson teacher. He was always meeting the target ( they give them target to meet for each child per week) every week while it takes others in his class 2 weeks to meet up so he was always coming home with 7 star stickers in his class workbook every week. That is because I'm always ahead of their school so what they'll teach for that week is what we'll treat in the lesson ( I got their scheme of work). So he already knows it and will Ace everything.. That was a boy a school (this same school this new student is coming from) rejected because they said he could not do what his mates were doing. She angrily took the child to Saint savior. So the woman said since I've worked there before, I should come and use their standard for her boy.

What pained me was that I had already charged them 45k before she disclosed the child's school fees. The thing pained me.

All the children I took then should be going to SS one or two now because they got double promotion afterwards. Ahead tinz. Ah! I don tay for this line o. Na him this woman dey price me 20k...
Going by what you have said, l don't think you should limit yourself to home lesson teacher,go higher and be a Prof or a proprietor of your own private school, no matter how small.Rome was not built in a day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jennifer89(f): 6:19am On Jul 31, 2023
BabaIbo:
50k for just a subject which is diction is on the high side.

I was expecting you to say the kid's school fees is 300k or 400k and I will feel you're still considerate.

School fees 120k(because you no sure) and you want to charge 50k for just one subject, not even mathematics, nor full English language nor chem/phys/bio and co., omoh you get mind o.

You're exploitive!!!

Exactly the 150k the child is paying is for three- four months and she wants to charge 50k monthly for speech
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by zedegit: 6:23am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Would you accept such amount for home lesson?

You failed to communicate effectively. You could have been considerate like collect #35 000. That way she help to market you since you're sure her child would improve.

Thereafter you can charge whatever you wish. You needed a contact point man. Your attitude is bad sha.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by FireUpNow(m): 6:24am On Jul 31, 2023
Iwell as for me I would suggest that you should have done your assessment first before billing the woman.. In this difficult era most parents go the extra miles to meet up with various very expensive schools fees for their children. Things are hard my brother that doesn't mean you should come cheap but this is extra lesson we are talking about. Have you ever thought about teaching students in the school as a part time teacher?, How much would you have changed for teaching 10-25 students in a class? Will you charge a child 50k? Anyways I believe you should know what to do.
My thought though.
I am looking for an honest person who is vast in freelance work on line to help me go on fiver or upwork. I need to do something with my skills please.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by zedegit: 6:25am On Jul 31, 2023
Battlefield2:
It's not too much
Always know your worth and don't sell yourself cheap

Anyone capable should help me out with something to feed
Hunger is quite on a rise here

Wema bank

May God almighty bless you

Aren't you selling yourself cheap by begging. Abi you don't know your worth?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Ashawoman82: 6:26am On Jul 31, 2023
LtChisom:

It means you must be married with kids then?
oga, your mumu no too much.. Wetin bring this stupid question now for this interesting thread.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Nobody: 6:38am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Lol... @block.

See, no matter how dull a child is, if I handle that child, the brain go correct. I have handled the worst slow learners that their parents were asking me how I did it. A particular boys mother asked her nanny how I do it that she should be watching me whenever I'm taking the boy so she can show them the method I use but the nanny said I should not tell them. She said they've tried different techniques and method, still the boy could not read or get his sums right until I was recommended to them by another parent whom I handled their son who had same issue. I just laughed.

I can handle any child as long as the pay is right. They'll end up getting cheap labor with no results. Waste of money.
you never jam children with spiritual problem...😁. It means you are a gifted teacher.. some people are like that.keep it up

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

.how does this relate to the post kwanu?
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Nobody: 6:44am On Jul 31, 2023
Ifebi82:
. This is the just the beginning. After supporting Tinubu and APC, you created all these accounts to beg... U never see anything... More hunger to come... Nonsense

Easy brother
Easy
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by sgtponzihater1(m): 7:10am On Jul 31, 2023
How many hours will you work per month?
What is your rate per hour?

Multiply this and you can work out if you have overcharged or undercharged.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by PaulH07: 7:10am On Jul 31, 2023
DeltaBachelor:
Hello Mr Paul, Good morning. I hope you had a good night rest ? This is just to let you and anyone interested in taking the IELTS know that we tutor IELTS ( Academic/General). We have a good track record of making our candidates surpass their desired band scores. If you are also interested in the "runs" and not just classes, we do that as well discreetly. At least a minimum of Band 8 ( General) and Band 7(Academic) is Guaranteed. For more info, kindly shoot us a mail : deltabachelor@gmail.com . Cheers !!!!

I'm a doctor and out band scores are usually high.

I'll need atleast a 7.5 in all band scores, be it general or academic
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Iseoluwani: 7:15am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Don't accept it. U deserve more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Owaincouncil: 7:20am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I would have charged them more self but because she said the child already knows sounds and in that school I know they teach sounds very well from kinder level, so I felt the work is reduced a bit and I'll only need to do blends and move up to word building and reading.

Some parents don't know our value and this stage is where the major work is. I didn't charge them at all.

Please, are you in lagos. If yes, I will need you for my children ages 9&7. Both can read very well but the diction is what I need you for.
Kindly drop your mail or contact.
Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:21am On Jul 31, 2023
toprealman:

So if a client is pay 25k for school fees, how much will you charge them?

I don't do such clients. My clients are usually from big schools.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:23am On Jul 31, 2023
tommy589:

Is it just kids or you teach adults too

For adults we do training on certificate courses then they use it to work in schools as phonics and diction instructors.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by IamtheTruth1(m): 7:23am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

If you want Quality Education, pay the charge. If you can’t afford it, look for alternatives.

Never charge people less for your worth man because people do not value free things

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:27am On Jul 31, 2023
OgaRico:
No one should tell you that Slavery is going anywhere soon please.

The child is to be taught sound British accent but same child might hardly speak or understand anything in his or her mother tongue.

How many whites do you think teaches our languages or accent in any of their schools?

Do you use your mother tongue at your place of work? Tomorrow you want to japa and study in the UK, Shey na your mother tongue you go use when you get there? Please I don't like arguing this with anyone.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:29am On Jul 31, 2023
Myer:

You know your onions and your worth. And that's great.
However here's my 2 cents for you to reconsider;

1. Are you very engaged at the moment, I mean do you have a better offer that's paying you more than that presently?
2. Does the 20k per week cover your transport, feeding and necessary bills (basic needs)?
3. Have you considered this client could be a means to an end? A contact that will end up advertising you to other parents when they see the result of your tutorial/work on her child?
4. The whole situation of the economy touch everyone-both rich and poor and especially parents. They have already paid 150k for school fees, another 150k for tutorial for one subject would actually be quite burdensome.

That said, all the best with your decision.
And I think you should consider focusing more on this diction tutorials. It's a highly-valuable skill.

It's not per week o. It's for a month. I can't do it.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by sheepheart(f): 7:42am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I'm telling you. Serious olodo. Like so many cases we are having in some of my schools where new intakes in basic 4 and 5 can not read because they don't have phonics background and their former schools don't have phonics in their curriculum. You'll see those nursery pupils that have the foundation reading very well what a basic 4 cannot read.
Hey Sis, that's how these parents are. Especially the ones on the island, they can pay 400-500k for school fees that doesn't justify their child's learning only to end up looking for a lesson teacher to help the child learn what they already paid for. Well that's why we lesson teachers exist; to intervene in a child's learning challenges.

I know the hard work I've put into teaching sounds to toddlers up to the reading stage but in all, I'm thankful it's been nothing but success cos it got to the stage that the school of child I teach tried to steal my scheme but God pass them. I have been getting referrals from parents cos of the progress reports. I've been in this craft for while now and I don't back down on my charges.

If you don't mind, we could connect to share more ideas and experiences.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:43am On Jul 31, 2023
jaxxy:
So she wants to learn British accent without going to Britain?

Does she know how much flight ticket is now? Ontop of that u may come back with ur Nigerian accent.

imagine converting calabar accent to British. na 100k u suppose charge for strong/conc natural accents.

Lol... I don Taya ooo .. you say they may come back without the accent and it's true o.

I remember some years ago, a woman abroad wanted her baby to join her in the UK after she's settled in so she said she needed a diction instructor to help polish the child's accent and this my friend that recommended me called me to go there.

After taking the child for a month the mother called from abroad to speak with her and said she could no longer understand the baby again o. That she's now sounding like ones abroad that she will have to make her repeat what she's saying again and again lol... It's easier when they are just learning to talk but once they already have that strong Nigerian accent, its always difficult to work on it.

I know this woman doesn't want her child to loose the little one she learnt during the just concluded session because now she's going to be exposed to the Nigerian accent again throughout this long break. What my former clients used to do is, they travel abroad every summer so the accent is still there till they come back and we resume lessons again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 7:49am On Jul 31, 2023
francotunsco:

How come you are not using the British accent to write here? The question is. Can you really do the job?

😂 😂... Is diction written or spoken? Or you want me to be writing with symbols? Will you even understand it?

Ok, pronounce this word. / ˈkjuːˌkʌmbə/ since you want me to write with it.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by georgeakins: 7:58am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Lol... @block.

See, no matter how dull a child is, if I handle that child, the brain go correct. I have handled the worst slow learners that their parents were asking me how I did it. A particular boys mother asked her nanny how I do it that she should be watching me whenever I'm taking the boy so she can show them the method I use but the nanny said I should not tell them. She said they've tried different techniques and method, still the boy could not read or get his sums right until I was recommended to them by another parent whom I handled their son who had same issue. I just laughed.

I can handle any child as long as the pay is right. They'll end up getting cheap labor with no results. Waste of money.

Where did you learn your British diction from?
Were you born in Britain?

I believe no one can speak a language with correct accent unless you grew up among the native speakers,.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:00am On Jul 31, 2023
Abemy:

My children's school fee is 20k, they are two, can you also collect 20 k for the two, since the school fee is the determinant factor in charging what t collect?

The school fee is not only a determinant of the charges but also a determinant of what I'll go for.

I don't do 20k home lesson. In fact, I stopped doing this a long time ago. My friend just felt since they are from a school I once taught I will be able to do it cos Im familiar with their method Plus I can just make small change from them. She didn't know they are not like my parents of old that pay well. Ah I gbadun those ones then.

Things are expensive now Biko. something I did for 25k 10 years ago when the economy Wasn't this bad is what I'll now do for 20k in this economy.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by sunsweet33: 8:03am On Jul 31, 2023
I’m just curious, do you offer lessons in speaking, reading and writing native languages and are any of these parents interested in them?

I can’t even speak mine but it would look very nice on my resume.

Hmm. lipsrsealed

Nothing wrong with standard southern Nigerian diction as long as it’s spoken with grace and is grammatically correct (I know you said you teach reading too).

Na ask I just dey ask o 🫣
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by itszeeboss: 8:06am On Jul 31, 2023
We are the largest consortium in the US with a purpose to help physicians with appropriate solutions to all their billing related problems. We are happy to offer you our expertise with an assurance of visible results. https://wecarercm.com/
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:06am On Jul 31, 2023
onuman:

In other words, rich Nigerian parents are now preparing their children for further education in Britain. If not, what is the hassle for British diction for Nigeria's children?

Well, it suits Britain good or bad. Britain created a monstrous country through piling up diverse ethnic and religious groups together knowing full well that such a country must fail at the long run.

Of course. They are actually prepping them to study abroad.. people who don't understand will be saying all sorts but the parents know what they are doing.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Ganjafama(m): 8:12am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Na 42 years old you dey follow talk so. This was something I did in the past. That my friend just say babes go German this thing I trust you. If not, me been don resign from home lesson tinz unless I see better rich man that will pay 100k.
Your moniker sounds female.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Does This Teacher Represent During Your Secondary Sch Days? / A B U , Here We Come > / Nigerian Student In Taiwan University Makes His School Raise The Nigerian Flag.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.