Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,788 members, 7,831,549 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:46 PM

Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? (52876 Views)

Who Did I Offend? / I Had 6 C6 In My Waec And 1 B3 Did I Try And 2 D7 / How A UNILAG Lecturer Pestered A Married Woman For Sex - Wale Gate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:49am On Jul 31, 2023
sheepheart:

Hey Sis, that's how these parents are. Especially the ones on the island, they can pay 400-500k for school fees that doesn't justify their child's learning only to end up looking for a lesson teacher to help the child learn what they already paid for. Well that's why we lesson teachers exist; to intervene in a child's learning challenges.

I know the hard work I've put into teaching sounds to toddlers up to the reading stage but in all, I'm thankful it's been nothing but success cos it got to the stage that the school of child I teach tried to steal my scheme but God pass them. I have been getting referrals from parents cos of the progress reports. I've been in this craft for while now and I don't back down on my charges.

If you don't mind, we could connect to share more ideas and experiences.

Wow nice to meet you dear

Exactly, they like using lesson teachers to achieve what their so called standard schools cannot give their wards. I go through their class work and see what they teach them in those big schools very little. Their scheme is not that rich. Some can not even write. It's we that end up doing the bulk of the work and that is why I charge them without mercy.

What these big schools sell is facilities and conducive learning environment to parents. They teach too o but not like that.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by FILEBE(m): 9:57am On Jul 31, 2023
It baffles me so much why one will want to learn how to talk like certain people when they aren't actors and actresses

For why will I go through that stress of learning my child a foreign diction? Inferiority complex, I see it . Are the British paying to learn how to speak like us?
We are not even talking about learning the Language , we are talking about speaking like a British, same human as your are o.

Sorry to say, it's disgusting. B
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Kaka77(m): 9:59am On Jul 31, 2023
I must say your charge is below average. I am a Teacher also in one of the British schools here in Abuja as a Mathematics Teacher. The least i charge is 70k for 12 contact. I.e 3 time weekly for four weeks monthly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by toprealman: 9:59am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I don't do such clients. My clients are usually from big schools.
Lol, guy man🤣
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 10:00am On Jul 31, 2023
georgeakins:

Where did you learn your British diction from?
Were you born in Britain?

I believe no one can speak a language with correct accent unless you grew up among the native speakers,.

Your belief is wrong. I did the course here in Nigeria.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by seuncyrus(m): 10:02am On Jul 31, 2023
Edoziesmart:

Did she mention her name? Or her house address in Abuja?

Lol , I just dey wonder too grin grin . People are too funny

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 10:06am On Jul 31, 2023
sunsweet33:
I’m just curious, do you offer lessons in speaking, reading and writing native languages and are any of these parents interested in them?

I can’t even speak mine but it would look very nice on my resume.

Hmm. lipsrsealed

Nothing wrong with standard southern Nigerian diction as long as it’s spoken with grace and is grammatically correct (I know you said you teach reading too).

Na ask I just dey ask o đź«Ł

Nothing wrong with it but is it the international standard required in schools? Is English your language? Why use your diction for another mans language when it clearly has it's own standard pronunciation?

Better to use your southern Nigerian diction in your native language and strive to use the British diction when speaking the English language cos it's their native language. Got that?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 10:13am On Jul 31, 2023
mp3ree:

Stand your ground, don't sell yourself cheap. It's not easy to teach and get good results in a month

They won't understand. They think teaching is an easy job. Ordinary homework, some of them can not sit for 10 mins to supervise or guide their wards in it but they'll want you to spend 1 hour teaching a fresh topic everyday.

Na who Dem go run mental Dem dey look for. No be me.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by saysoo: 10:18am On Jul 31, 2023
stay focused the amount is ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 10:22am On Jul 31, 2023
Shhhh01:
When it comes to career have a standard. If you don't people will rubbish your efforts. Just make mistake and agree to that 20k. You will see that for them to even pay u sef, u would hear weeeeeeeeeeeiiiiinnnnnnn.

Lol.. how did you know my thoughts? This are the kind of people that will still owe you after all the stress. My sister, I thought of this too that was why I kukuma bone them life. I didn't even give room for negotiations. No time!
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 10:31am On Jul 31, 2023
Boyooosa:

Don't change ur mind, if possible, let it enter -1, it's not worth with the current situation of the country...if they want a British child, they should go to Britain, managing yourself at home these days is better than trekking worldwide while being paid peanuts ay the end and still charged with unrealistic res.ponsibility or target, infact, u have said it all, don't confuse yourself

I tell you. The kind of target they'll place on that 20k you'll asking if they gave the schools such targets and their wards still need extra lessons.

Most times we end up reducing the workload for the schools and all they now do is flash a topic and the child already knows it. Target met. Ndi uch.u!
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by gfon(m): 10:34am On Jul 31, 2023
Oju4190:
U self nor mouth nor good.....I wonder which kind sound u won teach dat child
so make him let pesin talk to am anyhow because him be teacher.....dey play

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 10:36am On Jul 31, 2023
Winneygirl:
@Jewessgratitud3

Always give feedback instead of ignoring them.
"Sorry, the charge if 50k. I wont be able to go below that. Thank you".
Send it as a text if you feel you cannot call them.
At least, the woman will respect you for that, and she will believe that you are professional and might refer someone else down the line.
Be professional. You don't have to explain why you charge what you charge. But have a resume ready. You might get a better deal down the line because someone saw your portfolio.

I understand you but I did that because I'm no longer into such jobs and I don't want anything that will make us to be going back and forth on the matter. I have my reasons for keeping mute. If it were my Consultancy business, I'll do follow up on that one cos that's what I do for a living now. Not home lesson.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by gfon(m): 10:37am On Jul 31, 2023
abba190:
op u are thief for charging 50k just to teach a child how to produce sound
so make him charge for free...if you sit down to do a little child homework, you go know say stress dey there. Let her go and pay 10k tutor. Wey go dey speak pidgin with the pikin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by mechanics(m): 10:40am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

.I dont need to enter a vehicle to the place but I can't do it. It's too stressful when teaching a baby how to read because that's what phonics does. It will help the baby to read very fast but the task is not easy.
It's well.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 10:47am On Jul 31, 2023
mafolayomi:
Can you just imagine? And she was even going to clients/parentshomes to gossip with their nannies? 🤨 God knows i can never employ tbis kind of person. And he talks too much gor a professional i beg. And peoplewho talks this much will still end up not delivering o. I am talking from experience.

Clap for yourself.

For your info, I didn't go discussing with the nanny. If you read the part I mentioned the nannys testimony, you'll see all I did was laugh and the nanny was only testifying about the boys improvement and how the parents are happy they want to know the magic I performed. So if this here is what you call talking too much, please, be my guest and go dumb to appear professional for all I care.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by sunsweet33: 10:48am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Nothing wrong with it but is it the international standard required in schools? Is English your language? Why use your diction for another mans language when it clearly has it's own standard pronunciation?

Better to use your southern Nigerian diction in your native language and strive to use the British diction when speaking the English language cos it's their native language. Got that?

To be brutally honest, most of those British Nigerian diction people sound so horrible when they speak.

It’s either you have a natural British accent via immersion like former minister of environment amina Mohammad or you will sound like these ridiculous OAP twisting and cutting their tongue.

By the way there is a difference between polishing up eg. Pronunciation of “that” rather than “dat” and forcing an entire new accent that you’re talking about.

If you said American, I could take you serious. But British is almost impossible to master without sounding like a consummate fool.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Sammy5413(m): 10:48am On Jul 31, 2023
Imagine after paying and at the end you hear your child saying
Mummy the remote, she's where?
I'm seeking for refund ASAP

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by DeltaBachelor(m): 10:50am On Jul 31, 2023
PaulH07:

I'm a doctor and out band scores are usually high.

I'll need atleast a 7.5 in all band scores, be it general or academic
That's very much achievable Doc. Kindly shoot me a mail at deltabachelor@gmail.com or better still, you can send me yours as well. Cheers !!!!
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 11:01am On Jul 31, 2023
joyandfaith:

There are different types of intelligence. Phonics in American, British or Australian accents? Japanese kids don't speak British English. Enough!!!

So much for your intelligence. Phonics does not deal with accents. Phonics deals with only reading and spelling with the use of vowels and consonants sounds represented by the 26 letters of the English alphabet .

Accents is your local or mother tongue. Ie The way you sound and this is what applies to every country the world over. Each with it's pronunciation /diction.

Good day!
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 11:05am On Jul 31, 2023
Kaka77:
I must say your charge is below average. I am a Teacher also in one of the British schools here in Abuja as a Mathematics Teacher. The least i charge is 70k for 12 contact. I.e 3 time weekly for four weeks monthly.

Wow.. see levels now.
Enjoy bro.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 11:10am On Jul 31, 2023
sunsweet33:

To be brutally honest, most of those British Nigerian diction people sound so horrible when they speak.

It’s either you have a natural British accent via immersion like former minister of environment amina Mohammad or you will sound like these ridiculous OAP twisting and cutting their tongue.

By the way there is a difference between polishing up eg. Pronunciation of “that” rather than “dat” and forcing an entire new accent that you’re talking about.

If you said American, I could take you serious. But British is almost impossible to master without sounding like a consummate fool.

grin. @consumate fool. I'm done!
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 11:15am On Jul 31, 2023
Sammy5413:
Imagine after paying and at the end you hear your child saying
Mummy the remote, she's where?
I'm seeking for refund ASAP

Lol.. which set of people come this morning self. Una don wound me with laughter hahahaha... Meanwhile somebody is already crying that I don't sound professional bikonu, make una leave me hand now hahahaaaa...

This is me and my family unwinding with some soft jokes. When we get to the work place, we will act professional there. Ndi professional.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 11:18am On Jul 31, 2023
DeltaBachelor:
That's very much achievable Doc. Kindly shoot me a mail at deltabachelor@gmail.com or better still, you can send me yours as well. Cheers !!!!

Send my own cut o. you don get deals now from my post. Don't forget to cut me my own deal o. grin

Good luck 🤞
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by KillerBeauty(f): 11:26am On Jul 31, 2023
BabaIbo:
50k for just a subject which is diction is on the high side.

I was expecting you to say the kid's school fees is 300k or 400k and I will feel you're still considerate.

School fees 120k(because you no sure) and you want to charge 50k for just one subject, not even mathematics, nor full English language nor chem/phys/bio and co., omoh you get mind o.

You're exploitive!!!
I know a teacher charging 25k for English language home tutoring in 2011. Just English language alone 25k and that was 13yrs ago.
How much do you think home tutoring will cost in 2023 with how expensive things are nowadays.
Educating a child is very expensive oh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Afolue(m): 11:38am On Jul 31, 2023
Well everyone ain’t the same. Since you know your onions, steak to it. It’s not too much for this economy. Last, last if she value your service, she chooses either you or the child’s school. Afteral they’re affordable to an extent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by nedekid: 11:39am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

My brother its 3x a week per month o. That's what I'm saying, that I didn't even charge them considering what I was charging 10 years ago.
50k is not comparable to 25k of 10 years ago.
25k was @₦140 about $175.
50k today @₦900 is about $56.
You should actually be charging ₦157,900 to get the value of 25k you charged 10 years ago. The problem is will they be able to pay? Don't forget inflation has also hit them.
Anyway only you knows how the shoe fits. Eg, if you need to pay rent quickly. You collect the 50k and pay and know you rough the teaching for the month.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by achimendy(m): 11:39am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Would you accept such amount for home lesson?

If they can't pay for your service as you demanded then they should fvck off.

Most parents are very stingy when it comes to things like this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by LtChisom: 11:42am On Jul 31, 2023
Ashawoman82:
oga, your mumu no too much.. Wetin bring this stupid question now for this interesting thread.

bag of STI, was I talking to you or your vagina hair dey grow for your forehead idiot?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by fitinwell: 11:45am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Would you accept such amount for home lesson?

Nothing is too much for services you demanded and was well delivered..

Afterall it's an investment..

I will only make a Case .. if you get your full payment and i did not get the expected service...
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Ofemmanu1: 11:46am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
.how does this relate to the post kwanu?
The guy wan try your Kpekus ni.
Maybe e go sound like American kitten.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 11:46am On Jul 31, 2023
achimendy:

If they can't pay for your service as you demanded then they should fvck off.

Most parents are very stingy when it comes to things like this.

My dear. I didn't even bother calling them back.

nedekid:

50k is not comparable to 25k of 10 years ago.
25k was @₦140 about $175.
50k today @₦900 is about $56.
You should actually be charging ₦157,900 to get the value of 25k you charged 10 years ago. The problem is will they be able to pay? Don't forget inflation has also hit them.
Anyway only you knows how the shoe fits. Eg, if you need to pay rent quickly. You collect the 50k and pay and know you rough the teaching for the month.
If I'm to go by what I was charging years ago, definitely they won't be able to afford it. I mean it will be unreasonably high. In fact that is why I have stopped.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

A B U , Here We Come > / Nigerian Student In Taiwan University Makes His School Raise The Nigerian Flag. / 10 Words Nigerians Commonly Misspell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.