Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,897 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? (52794 Views)

Who Did I Offend? / I Had 6 C6 In My Waec And 1 B3 Did I Try And 2 D7 / How A UNILAG Lecturer Pestered A Married Woman For Sex - Wale Gate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by highoctane: 11:46am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Ask Ebuka of BBnaija how he lost a golden opportunity as an OAP in a multinational company because he didn't have a polished diction and accent.

Misplaced priority. Diction do not boost companies balance sheet.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by scanado(m): 11:46am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Would you accept such amount for home lesson?

Stick to your guns bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Ofemmanu1: 11:47am On Jul 31, 2023
LtChisom:
Because I been dey reason if I fit get luck marry you na.
Liar..
Na nack you wan nack.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by francotunsco: 11:48am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

😂 😂... Is diction written or spoken? Or you want me to be writing with symbols? Will you even understand it?

Ok, pronounce this word. / ˈkjuːˌkʌmbə/ since you want me to write with it.

Cucumber. Am i right? in Pamilerin's voice!

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by LtChisom: 11:48am On Jul 31, 2023
Ofemmanu1:

Liar..

Na nack you wan nack.

We are adults and know what is best for us

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by joyandfaith: 11:51am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

So much for your intelligence. Phonics does not deal with accents. Phonics deals with only reading and spelling with the use of vowels and consonants sounds represented by the 26 letters of the English alphabet .

Accents is your local or mother tongue. Ie The way you sound and this is what applies to every country the world over. Each with it's pronunciation /diction.

Good day!

Yimu!!! Phonics and diction are about language. It has nothing to do with natural intelligence. People especially learn language naturally. It depends on the environment. Well, you can charge any amounts for your services.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by DeltaBachelor(m): 11:54am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Send my own cut o. you don get deals now from my post. Don't forget to cut me my own deal o. grin

Good luck 🤞
lol. No wahala. When the deal is done, I would definitely reach out. Meanwhile, we can both do a small collabo if you don't mind o. Kindly send a mail let's deal. Deltabachelor@gmail.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2023
highoctane:

Misplaced priority. Diction do not boost companies balance sheet.

Really? But its one of the criteria that qualifies you for such jobs cos you dont expect them to hire someone whos not articulate enough to represent the company and risk ruining their reputation with a bad diction knowing it's an international brand and global industry and people from all works of life are watching their programs.

Please move with the times.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 12:12pm On Jul 31, 2023
francotunsco:

Cucumber. Am i right? in Pamilerin's voice!

I can't judge by the written words,. my judgement will be based on oral assessment. I can't really tell if your pronunciation is correct or wrong because words are not pronounced the way they are spelt.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Ofemmanu1: 12:16pm On Jul 31, 2023
LtChisom:

We are adults and know what is best for us
No dey do corner-corner..
Always go straight and shoot your shot.

Who knows? she maybe dickk starved.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Abemy(m): 12:30pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

The school fee is not only a determinant of the charges but also a determinant of what I'll go for.

I don't do 20k home lesson. In fact, I stopped doing this a long time ago. My friend just felt since they are from a school I once taught I will be able to do it cos Im familiar with their method Plus I can just make small change from them. She didn't know they are not like my parents of old that pay well. Ah I gbadun those ones then.

Things are expensive now Biko. something I did for 25k 10 years ago when the economy Wasn't this bad is what I'll now do for 20k in this economy.

What's your location?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by BabaIbo: 12:33pm On Jul 31, 2023
KillerBeauty:

I know a teacher charging 25k for English language home tutoring in 2011. Just English language alone 25k and that was 13yrs ago.
How much do you think home tutoring will cost in 2023 with how expensive things are nowadays.
Educating a child is very expensive oh

I charged 30k, 70k, 100k etc when I was working as a teacher, this is per kid o. These kids attend expensive schools such as Greenspring, Tulip and co. Those I charged high their parents are among rich, wealthy and top people of the country, those I charged moderately their parents earn moderately.

At that same time I also charged some kids 3k, 5k etc. What I did was I made this second set a group and I taught them in groups and made my cool money.

Try to apply wisdom in whatever you do, it will help you to go far in life.

Na her business be that, after all she brought it here.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by BabaIbo: 12:37pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Really? But its one of the criteria that qualifies you for such jobs cos you dont expect them to hire someone whos not articulate enough to represent the company and risk ruining their reputation with a bad diction knowing it's an international brand and global industry and people from all works of life are watching their programs.

Are you for real?

Diction has little or no value on your chance of being hire if it is strictly by merit.

So, you expect Chevron, shell, dangote etc to employ someone with good diction over someone with necessary skills?

More reasons multinational corporations can be headed by nationals from other countries because diction is not required as long as you can express yourself very well in English language or other major languages.

Dey play!

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by LtChisom: 12:41pm On Jul 31, 2023
Ofemmanu1:

No dey do corner-corner..

Always go straight and shoot your shot.

Who knows? she maybe dickk starved.

Hmmm! I have ear problem, I no hear this one.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by achimendy(m): 1:06pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

My dear. I didn't even bother calling them back.

If I'm to go by what I was charging years ago, definitely they won't be able to afford it. I mean it will be unreasonably high. In fact that is why I have stopped.

Exactly. My anger with them is that, they have the money but they wont pay well because they believe you shouldn't earn up to that amount you're asking. They've no value for all this teachers , people that transfer knowledge into your children are you not suppose to hold them in high esteem.

Most of my friends left some teaching jobs because of this nonsense, one of my friend doesn't have time for long arguments, once he tells and you start dragging issues you won't see him again. You have needs and you need money to take care of your needs, so they must pay.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 1:08pm On Jul 31, 2023
LtChisom:

Hmmm! I have ear problem, I no hear this one.

You don't need to reply such people.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 1:12pm On Jul 31, 2023
achimendy:

Exactly. My anger with them is that, they have the money but they wont pay well because they believe you shouldn't earn up to that amount you're asking. They've no value for all this teachers , people that transfer knowledge into your children are you not suppose to hold them in high esteem.

Most of my friends left some teaching jobs because of this nonsense, one of my friend doesn't have time for long arguments, once he tells and you start dragging issues you won't see him again. You have needs and you need money to take care of your needs, so they must pay.

Exactly. They don't value teachers and we do the most work. I'm just like your friend, if I charge you and you start underpricing me, I won't talk to you again because its a waste of time and energy.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Boyooosa(m): 1:18pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I tell you. The kind of target they'll place on that 20k you'll asking if they gave the schools such targets and their wards still need extra lessons.

Most times we end up reducing the workload for the schools and all they now do is flash a topic and the child already knows it. Target met. Ndi uch.u!

Worst still, they will never be contented with any result delivered, in as much they have paid whatever token...
Peradventure, the child learnt perfectly, just so as they required, they will say, after all, they paid for the service and their ward was that brilliant already but if otherwise, you will getting feedbacks like 'even his uncle DAT just finished in secondary school would have done better'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Desusi: 1:34pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I no longer do home lessons. I own a consultation firm now where I train people on phonetics and diction courses and send them to schools that need phonics and diction instructor. I also go to schools to teach on part-time basis.

Normally at summer we do organize trainings for people looking to go into part-time teaching but due to the situation of the economy, the number of trainees dropped because they can't afford our fees and I can't reduce the fees as I'm not the only one involved in the training team. I'll sort my guys too.
I can see,you're getting there,slow and steady they say, wins the race.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by President2001(m): 1:41pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I tell you say I no get job?
And you're looking for #25k lesson ?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 1:47pm On Jul 31, 2023
Boyooosa:

Worst still, they will never be contented with any result delivered, in as much they have paid whatever token...
Peradventure, the child learnt perfectly, just so as they required, they will say, after all, they paid for the service and their ward was that brilliant already but if otherwise, you will getting feedbacks like 'even his uncle DAT just finished in secondary school would have done better'

Lol.. you're right. I won't even give them the chance to rubbish my work.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Boyooosa(m): 1:51pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Lol.. you're right. I won't even give them the chance to rubbish my work.

Better, just endure the one month or use it for personal upgrade

If the kids are up to 5 or 10, or u can source more kids, the amount makes sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by highoctane: 1:52pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Diction has no value in making one a multimillionaire or Billionaires Even if so called Ebuka lost the job, he should think out of box to realise that multimillionaires and Billionaires like our own Mazi Peter Obi, Leo Stan Ekeh, Sam Ohuabunwa, Ifeanyi Uba, Dangote, Elumelu, Otedola don't speak with diction, look for a manual job elsewhere.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 1:55pm On Jul 31, 2023
Boyooosa:

Better, just endure the one month or use it for personal upgrade

If the kids are up to 5 or 10, or u can source more kids, the amount makes sense

No shaking. I'll get other business deals.
See
Had it been they even agreed to be bringing her to my place, I would have sourced for more children and be taking all of them together at least that one still makes sense but they said no o.. I have to be coming to the house. Imagine, they want special treatment but don't want to pay.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by OgaRico(m): 3:01pm On Jul 31, 2023
That is where the problem is bro.
Why don't we use our mother tongue(s) in our place of work or is it a crime/sin to use it?
Learn all the accent and English on earth, still you are no English and never will.
Even if I japa, by hearing me speak, the people or person should know that I learnt their language because they will still hear my mother tongue through how I'm speaking.
For instance, look at you and I discussing in their language and not in any of ours.

Jewessgratitud3:

Do you use your mother tongue at your place of work? Tomorrow you want to japa and study in the UK, Shey na your mother tongue you go use when you get there? Please I don't like arguing this with anyone.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by OgaRico(m): 3:14pm On Jul 31, 2023
In the course of trying to be like English people, we are greatly harming our ways of doing things.
Are you aware that same Britain that colonized or should I say came to steal from Nigeria/Nigerians and as well force down their language on those then and the generation yet unborn (including you and I) are the same Britain that colonize India but listen to an Indian person speaking and you won't bother asking where he or she is from because they don't take English as a superior language to theirs.

sunsweet33:

This reminds me of my classmate. His father used to scold him for speaking Efik, warning him that it would affect his accent while speaking English.
And now he can’t remember how to speak it

But if it’s about good diction in English he sha has it cheesy
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by achimendy(m): 3:18pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Exactly. They don't value teachers and we do the most work. I'm just like your friend, if I charge you and you start underpricing me, I won't talk to you again because its a waste of time and energy.

Exactly bro. Wish you goodluck .
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Ezyp(m): 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2023
LtChisom:

Because I been dey reason if I fit get luck marry you na.
You dey find free English tutor for your unborn kids... grin badt guys

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by dereborn(m): 3:46pm On Jul 31, 2023
It all depends on the family you are engaging. I do charge up to 70k for mathematics.... Intact ,I have families that pays 40 k, 30k ,70k for my services.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by delishpot: 4:37pm On Jul 31, 2023
mafolayomi:
Can you just imagine? And she was even going to clients/parentshomes to gossip with their nannies? 🤨 God knows i can never employ tbis kind of person. And he talks too much gor a professional i beg. And peoplewho talks this much will still end up not delivering o. I am talking from experience.

She is too entitled. That house help can poison someone.
That's why one must watch those they bring into their homes. Imagine someone who knows you so well selling you out to strangers and people who feel your money should be spent on them just because you have it.
Listening to how much you earn, how much you pay for stuff etc and demanding that you spend as much on them.
I wouldn't work with someone like the poster either. They will gather info while working around you and your kids and sell you out if the price is right.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by sunsweet33: 4:52pm On Jul 31, 2023
OgaRico:
In the course of trying to be like English people, we are greatly harming our ways of doing things.
Are you aware that same Britain that colonized or should I say came to steal from Nigeria/Nigerians and as well force down their language on those then and the generation yet unborn (including you and I) are the same Britain that colonize India but listen to an Indian person speaking and you won't bother asking where he or she is from because they don't take English as a superior language to theirs.

Most phoné phoné Nigerians just end up sounding stupid. The Indian people you mentioned can polish themselves up but not to the extent of mimicking British English.

If I’ve gotten the lady correctly these people basically want her to prime their kids so that they will be able to assimilate well once they travel abroad for studies.

From that angle I kinda get it but I severely doubt that it’s possible to imbibe an authentic British accent from some sporadic lessons in Nigeria.

This is how we lost the Benin Bronzes and countless other precious artefacts to the likes of these people. By being neither here nor there and blowing with the wind.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by 2gbasky22(m): 5:07pm On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Lol... @block.

See, no matter how dull a child is, if I handle that child, the brain go correct. I have handled the worst slow learners that their parents were asking me how I did it. A particular boys mother asked her nanny how I do it that she should be watching me whenever I'm taking the boy so she can show them the method I use but the nanny said I should not tell them. She said they've tried different techniques and method, still the boy could not read or get his sums right until I was recommended to them by another parent whom I handled their son who had same issue. I just laughed.

I can handle any child as long as the pay is right. They'll end up getting cheap labor with no results. Waste of money.

Just dey play

You never jam

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Does This Teacher Represent During Your Secondary Sch Days? / Innoson Redeems Car-Pledge To Chigozie, IMSU's Best Graduating Student / Almajiri Schools Built By Jonathan Government Decaying Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.