Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,620 members, 7,816,557 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? (52792 Views)

Who Did I Offend? / I Had 6 C6 In My Waec And 1 B3 Did I Try And 2 D7 / How A UNILAG Lecturer Pestered A Married Woman For Sex - Wale Gate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:15am On Jul 31, 2023
masterduba:
Your charge is decent, but for months now everyone has been on the edge. I am forced to slash the price per word of my content writing services dramatically, seeing that AI and ChatGPT has almost vapourised the demand for original words.

Just last week, an esteemed client needed a PowerPoint presentation to be delivered in 24 hours. When I gave her the quote for the express delivery, she flipped and I have not heard from her since.

Focus on putting your name out there first.

My dear, I understand and that was why I charged 50k. On a norms, I'll charge more but I was also considering the situation of the economy that it is biting on everyone. I can't go below that because if you consider the human factor involved in carrying out this job you will know it's not worth it. if you breakdown after everything, the cost of getting a good medication with a meager 20k at the end of the day is not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by LordReed(m): 8:17am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

Would you accept such amount for home lesson?

You didn't attempt to bargain? Let her understand the realities of why it's what you landed on?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by MightySparrow: 8:18am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
A colleague of mine called me last week and Said a woman needs a sounds teacher to come and take the child on sounds this summer to enable the child read before school resumes and that she wants someone with British diction.
So, because I'm a diction instructor and have done that kind of job in the past ( like nine years ago) my friend recommended me.

Back then ( 2014) when I was into this home lesson full time, I was charging 25k per child and its three times a week and I pick the places I go to. No long distance thing.
Now with the current situation of the economy and considering my age, I charged this woman 50k three times a week and she said it's too much. Meanwhile, the school the child is attending was where I taught before I left and started doing home lesson and their school fees then ( 2014) was 95k for prep class. By now it should be around 150k. My friend already told me the school the child attends.

She said it's too much that she can only afford 20k. I just ignored them. They will pay 150k for school fees, nothing much to show for it but will want to give you peanut and expect you to perform magic under 1month.

If I handle the child, no doubt, she'll read and her accent will change but definitely not for that amount. I'll now be trekking that long distance cos no bike and somebody is telling me 50k is too much.

Did I do wrong by ignoring them cos they want me to come and start this August but I have zeroed my mind there.

You put price on your expertise. That is why you are a professional. I would do same myself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Triplerg: 8:24am On Jul 31, 2023
AfonjaPriest:

Red flag. Disclaimer. Persona non grata.
Faith is a serial criminal scammer and is here to promote his begging advert scam.
Faith, go to your church or mosque to beg and stop using different monikers on NAIRALAND to swindle people.
You have used over 50 monikers to beg. If you are genuine, you should have been known with one moniker. Using many is a clear indication you are a fraud.
The way I see it, you'll soon get deliverance from the Devil. Keep thinking you are deceiving people. There is nothing hidden that will not be revealed; covered that will not be opened.
The great day of your revelation is at hand. Be expectant, because surely it will come.
You are right. This person does this everywhere. Very useless being
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by mp3ree: 8:28am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Stand your ground, don't sell yourself cheap. It's not easy to teach and get good results in a month

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:34am On Jul 31, 2023
Originalsly:
By your own account ... you are overcharging. In 2014 you were charging N25K ... was it for 3 days a week? You now want N50K .. a 100% increase. The school charged N95K in 2014 ... for 5 days a week and you are guessing they raised to around N150K ... which is just over 50% increase... and that is for multiple subjects. Can you really justify your massive increase?

I'm not sure what you teach .... sounds? .. do you mean phonics? And a British accent..... really? I'm guessing you lived in the UK ... was there when a teenager or before for you to have a local accent. In such a case the accent you teach will be for a certain part of the UK. Even so ... thise children cannot learn a foreign accent while in Nigeria. Many of our celebrities speak with "British and American accents " and impress the locals but sound very stupid to the foreigners. It's your hustle... providing a service that's in demand... but chop small small and not trying to swallow everything all at once.

I just gave an estimate of the school fees o. I'm not really sure how much they pay now but I'm sure its more than that.

As for what I teach. I do sounds/ phonics and Phonetics slash diction. As for the accent, I can speak both the up north and southern accents and not like your fake celebrities do but like the native speakers because I did a thorough study of the IPA both theoretically and practically and my articulation is 100%, no caps.

The problem there is when I speak especially with the up north accent, people hardly understand cos it's very deep. So I reduce my accent most times when I'm in some schools or talking with some set of people. Some will even beg me, Ma'am please come down to our level... Kai! These my Nigerian clients dey dull me gan....

So I'm not like your celebrities with fake accents and poor diction. I also hear what they gibberish in the name of phoneh.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by CoolAmbience(m): 8:37am On Jul 31, 2023
slimjohn2k5:
You would have done your own assessment before charging.

What if she pay you 50k and the child head na block?

Lol.

If the child head na block, naim be say na block na.

E go kill am? What of the ones wey dey pay N500k and more per academic session and the pikin head no gree open?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:39am On Jul 31, 2023
nedekid:
Op, do you mean,
1. 50k for a month. @3 times a week.
2. 50k weekly @3times ie 50k per
week.
3. 50k @3 times weekly ie 150k per
week.
If number 1, Then it is quite reasonable considering the state of the country.

Usually those special teaching is done for a fixed tenure, Eg few months till there is improvements on the child.
A premium is therefore charged.
Depending on the area and the general fees, also what you charged 10 years ago, 50k is even undercharging.
Digressing abit, Trekking or transportation is really an issue for us in naija based on economic realities. A lot of folks need to have other means aside cars. I mean motorbikes, bicycles etc. Bicycles for movement within miles of location. Eg someone lives in gowon estate and workers at shasha. Motorcycles for those that stay further. When you then have to go far, eg shasha to oshodi, Surulere, you use bus. Weekend, you use your car for family outings or goodtime.
Hmm, I have forgotten the social stigma we love so much. Forgotten that different task force, local government officials, agberos etc will harras you for different document for the motorcycle and when popular, bicycles.
Even the cost of motorcycle I hear is about t 500k now, tokumbo bicycles over 70k.
Wahala wahala.

My brother its 3x a week per month o. That's what I'm saying, that I didn't even charge them considering what I was charging 10 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:42am On Jul 31, 2023
Madas1986:
pls what state and school am planning to change school for my child

My dear, look for other cheaper schools around you where they equally teach sounds.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:43am On Jul 31, 2023
President2001:
If I'm in your shoes I will accept it, that 20k job can land you in your dream job

I tell you say I no get job?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Shhhh01(f): 8:43am On Jul 31, 2023
Let me be honest with you. You know your value. Do shakara. Do not let any one rubbish your talent and work. Imagine. 20k kor.
Jewessgratitud3:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Shhhh01(f): 8:45am On Jul 31, 2023
When it comes to career have a standard. If you don't people will rubbish your efforts. Just make mistake and agree to that 20k. You will see that for them to even pay u sef, u would hear weeeeeeeeeeeiiiiinnnnnnn.
Shhhh01:
Let me be honest with you. You know your value. Do shakara. Do not let any one rubbish your talent and work. Imagine. 20k kor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Myer(m): 8:46am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

It's not per week o. It's for a month. I can't do it.

That too is fine. You should find a way of advertising your skill. A lot of parents need it for their kids.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Shhhh01(f): 8:46am On Jul 31, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
CoolAmbience:

Lol.

If the child head na block, naim be say na block na.

E go kill am? What of the ones wey dey pay N500k and more per academic session and the pikin head no gree open?

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by tuzle(m): 8:46am On Jul 31, 2023
BabaIbo:
50k for just a subject which is diction is on the high side.

I was expecting you to say the kid's school fees is 300k or 400k and I will feel you're still considerate.

School fees 120k(because you no sure) and you want to charge 50k for just one subject, not even mathematics, nor full English language nor chem/phys/bio and co., omoh you get mind o.

You're exploitive!!!
I don't think it is, if u weigh in other factors. Also it depends on the area again. Places like lekki u can see 100k but places like Ayobo, one will hardly see parents willing to pay that amount.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Shhhh01(f): 8:48am On Jul 31, 2023
I agree with you. If you are good at what you do, you can unblock the block heads of Africa. Ha ha ha ha ha
Jewessgratitud3:

Lol... @block.

See, no matter how dull a child is, if I handle that child, the brain go correct. I have handled the worst slow learners that their parents were asking me how I did it. A particular boys mother asked her nanny how I do it that she should be watching me whenever I'm taking the boy so she can show them the method I use but the nanny said I should not tell them. She said they've tried different techniques and method, still the boy could not read or get his sums right until I was recommended to them by another parent whom I handled their son who had same issue. I just laughed.

I can handle any child as long as the pay is right. They'll end up getting cheap labor with no results. Waste of money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Boyooosa(m): 8:48am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Don't change ur mind, if possible, let it enter -1, it's not worth it with the current situation of the country...if they want a British child, they should go to Britain, managing yourself at home these days is better than trekking worldwide while being paid peanuts at the end and still be charged with unrealistic responsibility or target, infact, u have said it all, don't confuse yourself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Winneygirl(f): 8:49am On Jul 31, 2023
@Jewessgratitud3

Always give feedback instead of ignoring them.
"Sorry, the charge if 50k. I wont be able to go below that. Thank you".
Send it as a text if you feel you cannot call them.
At least, the woman will respect you for that, and she will believe that you are professional and might refer someone else down the line.
Be professional. You don't have to explain why you charge what you charge. But have a resume ready. You might get a better deal down the line because someone saw your portfolio.

2 Likes

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 8:51am On Jul 31, 2023
countryman13:

I understand u bro but just pray U don't jam pikin wey Dem don pick em brain throway key for river. I had an experience with a particular girl back then in 2013 during my teaching days,her own case na Dundee Utd. Everything U ask her, d response will be BEENII (Meaning Na so i.e in yoruba) even her name! All the best ooooo but d pay isn't much considering the situation in d country. Teaching is not an easy job bro because it involves continuous talking thereby run out of saliva. Some of the parents know that it's not easy but don't want to admit it when negotiating.

ROFLOL grin grin grin .. guy you just cracked me up this morning. Waaaat.. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.. I can't even take that kind of child because she doesn't even understand English language. Those kind people can pay small money? I can imagine, it's all those 2k lesson that you'll repeat one thing 10x. You tried o. Hahahahaha.... That's the kind of student a teacher in one of my schools call Boko Haram.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by joshkke(m): 8:59am On Jul 31, 2023
Pls how many I contact you? Are you in Lagos?

Jewessgratitud3:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by mafolayomi(f): 8:59am On Jul 31, 2023
Can you just imagine? And she was even going to clients/parentshomes to gossip with their nannies? ๐Ÿคจ God knows i can never employ tbis kind of person. And he talks too much gor a professional i beg. And peoplewho talks this much will still end up not delivering o. I am talking from experience.
delishpot:
Wetin concern you with the kids school fees? They pay #150k - #250 k for everyday school that amount is for all subjects Monday to Friday for a whole term plus care giving and you want to compare that with #50k for diction 3 times a week that's 12 or so lessons per month.
Charge your charge and be okay with it. Stop comparing their school fees with your charge..

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by henrimoto(m): 8:59am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

For my friend to recommend me, then you should know I'm a pro in what I do.

Any child I take, the schools must ask questions. I remember when I was taking one saint saviours student, their school fees then was 400k, the teachers were always asking the parents who is this boys lesson teacher. He was always meeting the target ( they give them target to meet for each child per week) every week while it takes others in his class 2 weeks to meet up so he was always coming home with 7 star stickers in his class workbook every week. That is because I'm always ahead of their school so what they'll teach for that week is what we'll treat in the lesson ( I got their scheme of work). So he already knows it and will Ace everything.. That was a boy a school (this same school this new student is coming from) rejected because they said he could not do what his mates were doing. She angrily took the child to Saint savior. So the woman said since I've worked there before, I should come and use their standard for her boy.

What pained me was that I had already charged them 45k before she disclosed the child's school fees. The thing pained me.

All the children I took then should be going to SS one or two now because they got double promotion afterwards. Ahead tinz. Ah! I don tay for this line o. Na him this woman dey price me 20k...
๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:00am On Jul 31, 2023
Hamachi:
You didn't over charge, the woman wants to use you to milk her husband. She would tell the husband that you charge 70k, but give you 50k. I am talking from experience.

I thought as much. Like one soldier woman sometime ago that was collecting pounds from the sister abroad and giving me peanut to take her sisters daughter on diction so she can join her mother later. She even included her own daughter to lesson for the same fees. I just looked at her and laughed. I focused more on the sisters daughter. Later I had to stop cos she was using me to make money.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by BabaIbo: 9:02am On Jul 31, 2023
Jennifer89:

Exactly the 150k the child is paying is for three- four months and she wants to charge 50k monthly for speech

That is the point
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:03am On Jul 31, 2023
joyandfaith:

Diction doesn't make a child to be intelligent. It is free market, you cannot charge any amounts you want.

Did you read the post at all? Do you even know what phonics is?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by BabaIbo: 9:10am On Jul 31, 2023
tuzle:
I don't think it is, if u weigh in other factors. Also it depends on the area again. Places like lekki u can see 100k but places like Ayobo, one will hardly see parents willing to pay that amount.

I get your point bro but relate the kid's school fees to what she is charging na.

3 to 4 months plus all other subjects 120k, and she wants to charge the parents 50k for just a fraction of just one subject.

I'm 90% sure they won't call her to resume, they will rather look for another person or get the teacher taking that area in her school to teach her and pay her for that.

To a kid in a school that charges 400k as school fees, that charge is very good and even small sef but to a kid in a school that charges 90k to 150k, that charge is high abeg.

Can you pay such amount of you find yourself in such situation.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:12am On Jul 31, 2023
Epinigirls:

How much would you charge to teach an adult?

Because, I'd love some accent training for American English

Can it be learnt over the Internet? Like Zoom or Google Meet

My dear, we charge 350k for certification in phonics and Diction courses.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by ketao(m): 9:17am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

I would have charged them more self but because she said the child already knows sounds and in that school I know they teach sounds very well from kinder level, so I felt the work is reduced a bit and I'll only need to do blends and move up to word building and reading.

Some parents don't know our value and this stage is where the major work is. I didn't charge them at all.

Sorry but where do you reside?
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:19am On Jul 31, 2023
highoctane:

You have shot yourself. Search for better rich man.
It's all about business negotiation.
Take it or leave it.
Think of multiple service charge, little, high and highest.
By the way, who has been employed in Voa, BBC, Shell and Chevron for been a brilliant dictioner?

Ask Ebuka of BBnaija how he lost a golden opportunity as an OAP in a multinational company because he didn't have a polished diction and accent.
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:26am On Jul 31, 2023
Desusi:

Going by what you have said, l don't think you should limit yourself to home lesson teacher,go higher and be a Prof or a proprietor of your own private school, no matter how small.Rome was not built in a day.

I no longer do home lessons. I own a consultation firm now where I train people on phonetics and diction courses and send them to schools that need phonics and diction instructor. I also go to schools to teach on part-time basis.

Normally at summer we do organize trainings for people looking to go into part-time teaching but due to the situation of the economy, the number of trainees dropped because they can't afford our fees and I can't reduce the fees as I'm not the only one involved in the training team. I'll sort my guys too.

1 Like

Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by joyandfaith: 9:27am On Jul 31, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Did you read the post at all? Do you even know what phonics is?
There are different types of intelligence. Phonics in American, British or Australian accents? Japanese kids don't speak British English. Enough!!!
Re: Guys, Did I Overcharge This Woman For This? by Jewessgratitud3: 9:36am On Jul 31, 2023
Helper1000:
you never jam children with spiritual problem...๐Ÿ˜. It means you are a gifted teacher.. some people are like that.keep it up
. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚.. make una leave this morning now. Wetin happen?

Funnily enough, I once made this statement about a boy in a school I teach currently. I told the class teacher that this particular boy has spiritual problem because no matter what you teach this boy, chai!!! He'll just be looking at you or worst still he say something else that you didn't even mention to him. Omor!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Does This Teacher Represent During Your Secondary Sch Days? / Innoson Redeems Car-Pledge To Chigozie, IMSU's Best Graduating Student / Almajiri Schools Built By Jonathan Government Decaying Across Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.