Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara (33804 Views)

Emami Presents Fake Ologbotsere Insignias To Olu Of Warri / Tinuade Babalola Not Allowed To Have Boyfriend; Must Be Celibate In Her Reign / Meet Two Sisters Married To Oba Ewuare Of Benin (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Jarchi(m): 9:09pm On Aug 01, 2023
Ologbo147:
my brother I sincerely do not know how to do it because you have to add the reference to enable credibility

And the one there says citation needed that is there is no reference to back it up and I have a journal that says otherwise

The numbers I have on that journal is 25 % bigger than what is on wiki

The other four references are for other stuffs written about Bini, the reference for the population the guy placed there is clearly lacking, that is why citation needed is there “jarchi

If you know how to and can help me change it please do,

Assessing Resident Satisfaction with Planning and Neighborhood facilities of Some Public Housing Estates in Benin city, Nigeria

Journal of Educational and Social Research

By Kingsley Okechukwu Dimuna
Department of Architecture
Ambrose Alli University
Ekpoma, Nigeria

And Abiodun Olukayodeh Olotuah
Department of Architecture
Federal University of Technology
Akure, Nigeria

Page 23.

It was stated that in the 2006 census, Benin city’s population was 1,346,703 but what is on Wikipedia is about 25% lesser than the actual population of Bini city in 2006 worst still with no source whatsoever.

This is a link where you can download the write up

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330876121_Assessing_Residents

° Brodaman, May Pro Olotuah soul rest in perfect peace, a great lecturer.
If you want to edit the population, you need the registered body (cenus board) citation to do that, the population we have now is the perceived so I guess why the last census was adopted. It is editable though might be subject to review. I hope the new census is done sha °
***Jarchi***

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 9:27pm On Aug 01, 2023
lawani:

The L1 languages of Anioma are Igbo, Yoruba (Olukunmi) and Igala. There are no Edoid languages there at all.
The delusion of Yoruba, now you want to also tell Anioma its history ?
What is it with you people's arrogance that you so much believe you know everybody's history ?
The other day, the Oni of Ife was trying to tell Igbo their history and to claim they are Yoruba. It is a trend with you guys, you believe you know everybody better than they know themselves.
1) Anioma themselves claim they migrated from Benin city.
2) Also in precolonial maps Anioma are part of Benin kingdom/empire.
3)And all Anioma monarchs have a traditional attire which is very similar to that of the Oba of Benin.
4) In the 1930's, the Obi of Agbor (hereditary monarchy) was called Gbenoba (as in Igbinoba).
5) some prominent Benin city families are Anioma: Obaseki

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Ologbo147: 9:29pm On Aug 01, 2023
Jarchi:

° Brodaman, May Pro Olotuah soul rest in perfect peace, a great lecturer.
If you want to edit the population, you need the registered body (cenus board) citation to do that, the population we have now is the perceived so I guess why the last census was adopted. It is editable though might be subject to review. I hope the new census is done sha °
***Jarchi***

The figures in that journal is that of 2006 census, at the tale end of that journal material, there is a reference which state that the national census population board of Benin city was consulted.

The one on Wikipedia was placed there with no source whatsoever, and the person claimed it is the 2006 census, where there is no article to back up that claim. It seem like you did not check the journal. Go and check it, download it, . Page 23 and see for yourself , Thank God the person who wrote it is reputable and you seem to know the person

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330876121_Assessing_Residents

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 9:31pm On Aug 01, 2023
lawani:

Are you educated at all?. I gave you academic proofs of things still existing today, what evidence more valid than that do you want?. I did not download anything from the internet. Ogotun, Agenebode, Ugbodumila and Onitsha are living things.
As I keep saying, you do not understand history at all, you think you can just go outside today and discover what happened 1000 years ago. When will you put this through your head that going outside is not equal to time travelling! Again, you need eyewitness written documents like those which I keep providing !

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 9:35pm On Aug 01, 2023
lawani:

Edo is restricted to Benin city. Edo was a provincial language of the empire, spoken in the suburbs of the capital in the past but now it is the language of Benin city but it was never the language of the Benin empire but the people that invited the Yoruba there were Edo and they renamed their capital to Ife Ibinu which later became Benin.
You always make unsubstantiated claims, when asked proof, you just make more unsubstantiated, you repeat your Yoruba propaganda, always. Again, provide evidence! No Yoruba was ever invited by any Edo ! The Edo people and their monarch are one ! You think we don't see your division tactics ?

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Jarchi(m): 9:35pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:

So Wikipedia is the new way to do research on African history now ?
Is that what they teach in history classes ?
Year 1: Look up Wikipedia
Year 2: look up wikipedia
Year 3: look up wikipedia...
The way some Nigerians like you reason, is very childish, many of you are not smarter than 10 year olds in France.

Dude, when you make a claim, you need to provide evidence, in the case of history, evidence is in the form of eyewitness written document, not "Wikipedia claim".
If you believe so much in that Wikipedia claim, then you should prove it rather than tell your interlocutor to take it up with Wikipedia.
You should use your own time to go through the Wikipedia references and get the eye witness written docs if they do exist. But instead of you wasting your time doing that, let me inform you that Wikipedia references are just books, not actual proofs, just books in which someone makes a claim, and you get to use that as back up to post the claim on Wikipedia.
To make things short, Wikipedia is horrible on African history. The Yorubas have a Wikipedia community which has basically taken over everything related to Benin kingdom on Wikipedia.

° [b]Brodaman, if you no get sense don't quote me, please. I don't care about Una arguement. Is it this hard to read?
You claim something is wrong but your source is what, YOURS same as mine is MINE
Eyewitness like say you see am
Both sources would be faulty as its bias.
I'm only bringing the known evidence to the table, that's why I'm saying they should make effort to edit and make us know the right.

The internet is what you give it. I don't have to do a thesis research to know the history of a place. If what I saw from what is trusted worldwide (wiki) is wrong, why is it wrong in 2023 is the first question? Why was it not edited or changed or sued? I don't care if na Ife or edo, I just want to know my history, just like world war, who started it, who lost, I don't care about the minute details. Wiki has procedures, if you really believe in it, make it happen or else, that's what anybody with access to internet will see. Or na eyewitness or thesis research I go do if my pikin ask me about Hausa history no be same trusted site I go find

So bring up a post on wiki that's false or hoax?
°

***Jarchi***

[/b]

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 9:40pm On Aug 01, 2023
Ok, I'm done, I've tried to be nice, eventhough I had to walk through insults. You yarri.ba obsession about us Edo is what will bring your doom.
I refrained from telling you your history because I know you hate to hear it, you find it offensive, that is why you keep trying to still Benin history. I told you to leave us alone and if you must make a fake history to feel better, then leave my people out of it, you didn't listen.

Here is true Yoruba history: (your ancestors were conquered slaves)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0f53aYJElw

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 9:45pm On Aug 01, 2023
Jarchi:

Or na eyewitness or thesis research I go do if my pikin ask me about Hausa history no be same trusted site I go find

So bring up a post on wiki that's false or hoax?
So basically, you are intellectually lazy, too lazy to do proper research, therefore Wikipedia is right. That is your argument 😂
And I guess, I am wrong to actually do proper research, and to look for eyewitness written documents, since a 15 year old Yoruba kid who moderates on Wikipedia has already decided history for me.

I curse the fact the British put us together.
After I gave all the explanation, all you do now is to claim that eyewitness written documents is a notion which doesn't exist and Wikipedia is right because it is Wikipedia, and you don't have to do the work to know history, you can be lazy, therefore wiki is right since it allows you to be lazy... Madman logics.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Jarchi(m): 9:46pm On Aug 01, 2023
Ologbo147:
The figures in that journal is that of 2006 census, at the tale end of that journal material, there is a reference which state that the national census population board of Benin city was consulted.

The one on Wikipedia was placed there with no source whatsoever, and the person claimed it is the 2006 census, where there is no article to back up that claim. It seem like you did not check the journal. Go and check it, download it, . Page 23 and see for yourself , Thank God the person who wrote it is reputable and you seem to know the person

° Brodaman, that's why I'm saying you need to find the link or the source that prof quoted, the Benin census board to do that. That's a journal quoting, it is not in authority to certify that it is true only the body that conducted it can. You can try Nigeria Bureau of statistics if they can have the approx 2023 stats, but more of the links I have is for the whole Edo not Benin alone and that's the problem, our government needs to do more°
***Jarchi***

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 9:48pm On Aug 01, 2023
Jarchi:

° Brodaman, that's why I'm saying you need to find the link or the source that prof quoted, the Benin census board to do that. That's a journal quoting, it is not in authority to certify that it is true only the body that conducted it can. You can try Nigeria Bureau of statistics if they can have the approx 2023 stats, but more of the links I have is for the whole Edo not Benin alone and that's the problem, our government needs to do more°
***Jarchi***

Lazy man, it is your own claim ! You are the one supposed to provide evidence ! You Lazy 🦥

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Jarchi(m): 9:55pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:
Ok, I'm done, I've tried to be nice, eventhough I had to walk through insults. You yarri.ba obsession about us Edo is what will bring your doom.
I refrained from telling you your history because I know you hate to hear it, you find it offensive, that is why you keep trying to still Benin history. I told you to leave us alone and if you must make a fake history to feel better, then leave my people out of it, you didn't listen.

° Brodaman, so if an Edo child or anybody in diaspora is told or wants to know the history, he goes on wiki, what does he believe? You just don't get my point, I don't care about your fight with others. I'm saying document it so the truth is known. Wiki has sources, I can't verify the sources on YouTube, you just don't get it. Will I put YouTube video for source material?? If yorubas are slaves, good for them but I must be able to give the source. They need to find respected men, the royal fathers need to document it. History is written not told. You as an Edo person can find ways to make the wiki right, if you really care°
***Jarchi***

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 9:55pm On Aug 01, 2023
Look at an other guy here who did the proper research:

I guess he was wrong to look for eyewitness written documents, he should have just trusted a 15 year old Yoruba who moderates in Wikipedia.
"Hello people, don't be smart, don't work hard, don't do research ! A 15 year old Yoruba has decided what you should believe"
Why are you a f**l @jarchi ?

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 9:57pm On Aug 01, 2023
Jarchi:

° Brodaman, so if an Edo child or anybody in diaspora is told or wants to know the history, he goes on wiki, what does he believe?
What does any of this have to do with what a child believes ?
Are we children, or is your education not above that of a child ?
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Jarchi(m): 9:59pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:

Lazy man, it is your own claim ! You are the one supposed to provide evidence ! You Lazy 🦥

° Brodaman, What is this one saying, I provided wiki that has sources and references you brought out video of another topic, you go school like this?
Don't quote me again abeg, I'm not for or against, find the guys you were arguing with.
I don't have time for people that don't have sense °
***Jarchi***

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 10:01pm On Aug 01, 2023
Jarchi:

Wiki has sources, I can't verify the sources on YouTube, you just don't get it. Will I put YouTube video for source material??
But yourself, you are not verifying the Wikipedia sources, you just take whatever Wikipedia says like gospel truth and you use the fact that "there are sources" to get critics off your back.
Also when did I tell you to use YouTube as a source ?
By the way, the guy on the video actually tells you the books which he is quoting ! I didn't give you the video for you to quote as a source, I gave it for you to understand how history is researched !
Why are you a f**l ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 10:05pm On Aug 01, 2023
Jarchi:

° Brodaman, What is this one saying, I provided wiki that has sources and references you brought out video of another topic, you go school like this?
Don't quote me again abeg, I'm not for or against, find the guys you were arguing with.
I don't have time for people that don't have sense °
***Jarchi***
I think you have mental problems. You still don't get it, we are not children, we do not quote Wikipedia and then to justify claiming Wikipedia saying "it has sources" is the stupidest and lazyest thing to do.
You as an adult, you are supposed to go through those sources and prove whatever you want to claim. Something being in Wikipedia doesn't make it true !
I already told you, in the field of history you need evidence, not Wikipedia claim. Also there is nothing which makes Wikipedia a better reference than a YouTube video ! Don't quote either of them, research it yourself and come with evidence, you lazy man.
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by lawani: 10:08pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:

1) Greek empire
2) Roman empire
3) ottoman empire
4) Persian empire
5) Ethiopian empire
6) kingdom of France (until school became compulsory and a unique language policy was imposed)

For a country to have one single language, it needs to have a school system where they teach that language to people and especially to the kids.

First of all, you guys use the expression "Lingua Franca" badly, it is because you keep thinking you can just copy European history and claim the same thing happened in Africa. European nobles had a common language because they started intermarrying at a certain period of time, and it is that common language which they call "Lingua Franca" and it was French ! But guess what, those guys were all related, they were cousins: the king of Russia was a cousin of the king of England and the king of Germany was also one of their relatives before ww1.

But there is no way a country can be run without a principal language of business. Nigeria has many languages and is multilingual but English is the lingua franca for state. In the Hellenistic world, it was Greek and everybody learnt it, for Rome, it was Latin, for the Ottoman Turks, it was Arabic, for the Persian empire, they had their language, for the British empire it was English but Norman French was spoken in English courts and it had a lot of influence on modern English. I daresay the British empire might have been French speaking if not that the British and not their government built the empire themselves with corporations but till today members of the House of Windsor learn French at home and English is most influenced by Norman French because of that. They share almost identical vocabulary. The Sokoto caliphate spoke Hausa, the Oyo spoke Yoruba. The Benin, Ijesa, Ijebu spoke their dialects of Yoruba which was mutually intelligible. Benin Yoruba is like Owo or Itsekiri, Ilaje etc. In the Benin empire, the capital spoke Yoruba and all the major towns but there were non Yoruba speaking enclaves that were tributaries but it appears they were loosely attached. The Dahomey people who were part of Oyo speak Yoruba till today along with Fon and French. European nobles never had a common language. Where are you reading your history from?. What is correct is that some of them were multilingual due to intermarriages. England has had a King that spoke only German originally but he was a descendant of the house of Windsor. If you say franca means french does franchise mean French too?. It may be so but it does not mean all European nobles spoke French. English nobles spoke French only because William the Norman spoke only French and he was a French man and founder of the house of Windsor. Not all European nobility were founded from France and even William the Norman was French of Viking descent. Once again there is no country where multiple languages are spoken as language of the capital or of business. There is always a language that high ranking people must understand and for the Benin empire, it was Yoruba. You don't need to have a school system to have an official language. Official language is language of courts, tax collectors, soldiers and etc, other people will be left alone so far they remain compliant with taxes. People then in the Benin suburbs were left alone, however they are the actual owners of the land of the capital but they were not the ones that built the empire and the Ogba, Ikwerre, Onitsha and etc people descend in the main from the Yoruba speaking Benin capital though obviously some people from the suburbs would be moving with them but communication with headquarters will be in Yoruba. I have read Portuguese accounts of Yoruba prayers to Imale okun in the Benin capital. It was rendered Mo be o, mo be o, umale okun, mo be o...I beseech you umale okun...while pouring offering on the ground. Is that Edo language?. If it is, it is also everyday Yoruba etc etc
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by lawani: 10:12pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:

So basically, you are intellectually lazy, too lazy to do proper research, therefore Wikipedia is right. That is your argument 😂
And I guess, I am wrong to actually do proper research, and to look for eyewitness written documents, since a 15 year old Yoruba kid who moderates on Wikipedia has already decided history for me.

I curse the fact the British put us together.
After I gave all the explanation, all you do now is to claim that eyewitness written documents is a notion which doesn't exist and Wikipedia is right because it is Wikipedia, and you don't have to do the work to know history, you can be lazy, therefore wiki is right since it allows you to be lazy... Madman logics.

But if the British did not put you together you would be under Ibadan. It was Ogedengbe of Ijesa that collected the last tribute from Benin
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 10:12pm On Aug 01, 2023
lawani:

But there is no way a country can be run without a principal language of business. Nigeria has many languages and is multilingual but English is the lingua franca for state.
I don't have time to read your very long epistle.
When will you understand that you need to stop debating against reality, I gave you several examples, but you still want to debate it ! How is that reasonable ?
Nigeria speaks English because it had schools to teach kids English ! Even many Nigerians don't speak English or at least not the British English.
Everytime on nairaland, you guys just waste my time with your lack of education and your arrogance and fanatism, you must argue about everything you know nothing about.

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by lawani: 10:13pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:

Nobody wants to rule your land. That era is over.
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 10:16pm On Aug 01, 2023
lawani:

But if the British did not put you together you would be under Ibadan. It was Ogedengbe of Ijesa that collected the last tribute from Benin
Still no evidence!
Benin empire which was known for warfare, you believe a subject of the baale of Ibadan was about to take over Benin empire 🤣
Lawani, we have talked before, many years ago, you have not changed, you are still dvmb and f**lish
Even the British describe Benin as a kingdom which terrifies its neighbours!

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 10:18pm On Aug 01, 2023
lawani:

Nobody wants to rule your land. That era is over.
What a f**l you still are.
So a subject of a baale was about to conquer an empire as big as Nigeria 😂🤣
Sense runs away when it sees your face

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 10:19pm On Aug 01, 2023
More about the yoruba true history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llporKrPsbU

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by lawani: 10:19pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:

The delusion of Yoruba, now you want to also tell Anioma its history ?
What is it with you people's arrogance that you so much believe you know everybody's history ?
The other day, the Oni of Ife was trying to tell Igbo their history and to claim they are Yoruba. It is a trend with you guys, you believe you know everybody better than they know themselves.
1) Anioma themselves claim they migrated from Benin city.
2) Also in precolonial maps Anioma are part of Benin kingdom/empire.
3)And all Anioma monarchs have a traditional attire which is very similar to that of the Oba of Benin.
4) In the 1930's, the Obi of Agbor (hereditary monarchy) was called Gbenoba (as in Igbinoba).
5) some prominent Benin city families are Anioma: Obaseki

We are talking of dominant culture as anybody can migrate from anywhere. The family of my maternal grandmother in Ipetu Ijesa are greeted omo onile lado. Meaning they came from the Benin capital which the Yoruba call Ado atimes.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Stoplying: 10:21pm On Aug 01, 2023
Shvt up, you are a f**l.
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by lawani: 10:23pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:

Still no evidence!
Benin empire which was known for warfare, you believe a subject of the baale of Ibadan was about to take over Benin empire 🤣
Lawani, we have talked before, many years ago, you have not changed, you are still dvmb and f**lish
Even the British describe Benin as a kingdom which terrifies its neighbours!

There was Benin empire which went down centuries ago, the new Benin has been conquered severally by a number of neighbours including Akure that was collecting tributes from them before Ogedengbe came on behalf of Ibadan and was the last person to take tribute from Benin before the Kiriji war. Can Benin empire have existed when Ibadan was at its peak?. Benin empire was centuries ago.
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by lawani: 10:25pm On Aug 01, 2023
Stoplying:
Shvt up, you are a f**l.

Are you mad?. Who is your age mate?
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by lawani: 10:40pm On Aug 01, 2023
Ologbo147:
you did not give any academic proofs, the interpretation you gave for Agenebode and Ughoton, as I said before, are clearly out of place, worst still, you have no lettered proof to back up your interpretations

you can give several interpretations to a word you feel you know in another persons tribe. I gave an example of Osadebe- Igbo, Osadebawmen-Bini which many persons thought were similar before now.

it is left for the tribal people to say if it is correct or not, Ughoton and Agenobode do not speak Yoruba, and those interpretations you have are not in tune with reality.

Ugbodumila is clearly Yoruba, and they have tales of migrations from Owo.

Redbonesmith has clearly debunked the Yoruba meaning you guys gave to Onitsha before now.

Esan and Bini are both dialects of the same language, Edo was not restricted to Benin city now, Ughoton you gave a meaning not in tandem with reality is a Bini settlement. And is not in anyway close to the capital, even till date, it has still not been eaten by the capital, there are some settlements that speak Bini that are farther from Bini more than Akure is to Ado Ekiti, Edo or Bini is a full tribe, with hundreds of towns and villages aside Benin city. Worthy mention of them is Udo that is 30 miles away from the city, Ugo -82 kilometers away from the city, Urhonigbe- 120 kilometers away from the city and they are all Bini speaking settlements

Agenebode is an Etsako settlement. You have to ask the Etsako people the meaning of Agenebode and not assume the meaning.

It has always been the language of the capital and other Bini settlements in the Capital , if not how else would the Itsekiri monarch that migrated from the city and even the royal palace get the name Ogiame- a trademark Bini title in the Edoid which directly translates to King over the riverine areas

It was actually from an article in the papers written by a Benin elder that I knew the meaning of Agenebode. He explained that it means Ago onibode meaning outpost of the sentry and that is the name given by Yoruba people though it is not a Yoruba town. It is just like Ago Iwoye and other Ago like that. The same is true for Ughotoun which is just a wrong spelling of Ogotun which is a town in Ekiti. Ogotun is the mythical city of Olodumare which is why Olodumare is called Agotun. I did not give any Yoruba meaning to Onitsha but Onitsha people themselves say they came from Benin and Dr Emeagwali said decades ago when an old Onitsha man spoke the language of the ancestors, no one present could understand. What other language can it be more than a Yoruba dialect since a few miles away Ugbodumila still speak pure Yoruba. Those are my points.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Ologbo147: 2:12am On Aug 02, 2023
lawani:

It was actually from an article in the papers written by a Benin elder that I knew the meaning of Agenebode. He explained that it means Ago onibode meaning outpost of the sentry and that is the name given by Yoruba people though it is not a Yoruba town. It is just like Ago Iwoye and other Ago like that. The same is true for Ughotoun which is just a wrong spelling of Ogotun which is a town in Ekiti. Ogotun is the mythical city of Olodumare which is why Olodumare is called Agotun. I did not give any Yoruba meaning to Onitsha but Onitsha people themselves say they came from Benin and Dr Emeagwali said decades ago when an old Onitsha man spoke the language of the ancestors, no one present could understand. What other language can it be more than a Yoruba dialect since a few miles away Ugbodumila still speak pure Yoruba. Those are my points.
Do you still have access to the paper? Even the one that buttresses same for Ughoton that is the spelling, not the one you wrote up there.

If I can access the materials, I don’t have any issue . I am just against making claims that one cannot back up with proof.

If I am to say it out tomorrow, that Agenebode and Ughoton are Yoruba named, I have to be able to provide the sources you provided here to back it up else no one will take me serious from the academic community.

I would need it, thank you

Ugbodumila is one of the over 100Anioma towns, and it is only that community in that axis of a stretch of 6000 km square, that speak Yoruba. They migrated there independently, I don’t really know how they share border with Ondo state or if they share border with her, Ondo is next door neighbor to Edo and I know Ondo certainly borders Delta state too.

If they say they migrated from Owo according to their migration tales, I don’t think it is out of place migration from Owo to Benin then to Delta, or from Ondo to Delta whichever route they took. Their language would certainly be akin to the people of Owo regardless of where they now settle. In that same Anioma, a Bini dialect with about 90 percent intelligibility rate with the one spoken in Edo south is spoken, (oza nogogo), would I now say because Oza- nogogo speak Bini, then the whole of Anioma must have spoken Bini in time past.

Ugbodumila speaking Yoruba is one borne out of migration from their parent stock to now settle in the midst of strange groups, and nothing more

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by Ologbo147: 2:27am On Aug 02, 2023
lawani:

But there is no way a country can be run without a principal language of business. Nigeria has many languages and is multilingual but English is the lingua franca for state. In the Hellenistic world, it was Greek and everybody learnt it, for Rome, it was Latin, for the Ottoman Turks, it was Arabic, for the Persian empire, they had their language, for the British empire it was English but Norman French was spoken in English courts and it had a lot of influence on modern English. I daresay the British empire might have been French speaking if not that the British and not their government built the empire themselves with corporations but till today members of the House of Windsor learn French at home and English is most influenced by Norman French because of that. They share almost identical vocabulary. The Sokoto caliphate spoke Hausa, the Oyo spoke Yoruba. The Benin, Ijesa, Ijebu spoke their dialects of Yoruba which was mutually intelligible. Benin Yoruba is like Owo or Itsekiri, Ilaje etc. In the Benin empire, the capital spoke Yoruba and all the major towns but there were non Yoruba speaking enclaves that were tributaries but it appears they were loosely attached. The Dahomey people who were part of Oyo speak Yoruba till today along with Fon and French. European nobles never had a common language. Where are you reading your history from?. What is correct is that some of them were multilingual due to intermarriages. England has had a King that spoke only German originally but he was a descendant of the house of Windsor. If you say franca means french does franchise mean French too?. It may be so but it does not mean all European nobles spoke French. English nobles spoke French only because William the Norman spoke only French and he was a French man and founder of the house of Windsor. Not all European nobility were founded from France and even William the Norman was French of Viking descent. Once again there is no country where multiple languages are spoken as language of the capital or of business. There is always a language that high ranking people must understand and for the Benin empire, it was Yoruba. You don't need to have a school system to have an official language. Official language is language of courts, tax collectors, soldiers and etc, other people will be left alone so far they remain compliant with taxes. People then in the Benin suburbs were left alone, however they are the actual owners of the land of the capital but they were not the ones that built the empire and the Ogba, Ikwerre, Onitsha and etc people descend in the main from the Yoruba speaking Benin capital though obviously some people from the suburbs would be moving with them but communication with headquarters will be in Yoruba. I have read Portuguese accounts of Yoruba prayers to Imale okun in the Benin capital. It was rendered Mo be o, mo be o, umale okun, mo be o...I beseech you umale okun...while pouring offering on the ground. Is that Edo language?. If it is, it is also everyday Yoruba etc etc
is the word Ogiame Yoruba, that is the title of the Itsekiri monarch, if the city and even the palace that sent him out did not speak Bini or Edo, how then did he come up with such titles . The Oba and the city people has always in time past spoke undiluted sweet Bini

Please I would relish those Portuguese accounts if you still have access to them

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by pacespot(m): 3:28am On Aug 02, 2023
Re: Ooni Presents Crown To Oba Sharafadeen Babalola In Kwara by lawani: 7:51am On Aug 02, 2023
Ologbo147:
is the word Ogiame Yoruba, that is the title of the Itsekiri monarch, if the city and even the palace that sent him out did not speak Bini or Edo, how then did he come up with such titles . The Oba and the city people has always in time past spoke undiluted sweet Bini

Please I would relish those Portuguese accounts if you still have access to them

I am not saying the language spoken in the suburbs will have no effect on the capital but Benin itself is a Yoruba word meaning anger or vexation and it was Oranmiyan that gave the city that name because the indigenes vexed him. Or is Ibinu an Edo word? The real title of the Warri monarch includes Atuwatse and Olu which are Yoruba words. The Ifa you people say is non existent in Benin is the national theology of the Itsekiri with the 256 signs. Ogiame itself is a combination of Yoruba and Edo which means King of the waters Ogi is king in Edo while Omi is water in Yoruba, I wouldn't know if it is water in Edo as well. Itsekiri in all ramifications are not different from Ilaje or Owo people or even Ijebu and their monarch that came from the Benin capital was a Yoruba man in all ramifications

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. / Igwe Alex Nwokedi Of Achalla Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.