Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,983 members, 7,810,740 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:14 PM

Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century - Foreign Affairs (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century (7972 Views)

Ghana's Currency Slumps To World’s Worst Performer Versus Dollar / Japan To Fund Firms To Shift Production Out Of China / Melania Trump Visits The Great Pyramid And The Sphinx In Egypt (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by killsmith(f): 6:14pm On Oct 08, 2023
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 5:42am On Oct 09, 2023
killsmith:

And you aware China has begun seizing national assets of countries unable to payback debts?

The majority of debt owed by African countries to foreigners, whether national governments or institutions are to the West and her sister organisations like the IMF/Word Bank. Nigeria is an example; we owe China the most as a country, but overall, Western countries and organisations are our biggest creditors. Regarding the seizure of assets, it was stated in the loan agreements na. Why collect something one cannot re-pay? For instance, Buhari collected loans to build a rail to Maradi instead of linking the southwest and southeast - two of the most important economic zones in the country. Is that China's fault? Let's go to Ghana, which borrowed massive loans from Western institutions only to use am build what could have been one of the biggest churches in the continent and employed more than 1000 PAs to the president. Today, Ghana sought and received loans from the IMF, for the 17th time. Na China cause that one?

The interest rates are not even high, and one can pay in Yuan instead of the dollar if currency fluctuations are a problem. Secondly, some African countries have complained about the weight of the loans relative to the sizes of their GDPs and sought re-adjustment, to which China agreed. Kenya and Zambia are good examples. Being pragmatic as she is, China has opted to trade by liberalising trade rules in importing agricultural products from Africa instead of the usual infrastructure. Meanwhile, accessing Western markets is extremely tough for most African farmers, apart from flowers and coffee from mainly East Africa and cocoa from West Africa, all in their raw states o. Europe's cousins in South America have it hard to export agricultural produce to the EU, but all rely on China as a major market.

killsmith:

China is no different from the west. Just a different specie of vulture.

That is not true. The history says it all. It was not China that plundered, and still plunders, the DRC for donkey years. It was not China that butchered the Himba tribe in Namibia, the first genocide committed on an ethnic group/race. That was where the Germans learnt work before the Holocaust. What about apartheid, was China involved? When China was constructing rails in Tanzania even when she lacked the expertise as she did today, where was the West? Na China enslaved blacks go America, Brazil, Caribbeans?

In my opinion, the issues many Africans have are poor negotiation skills, not utilising the finances appropriately and being dogmatic. China has eclipsed the West as Africa's biggest trading partner without sponsoring a coup, genocide or war. The facts are there. Which president has China used its power to topple across Africa? Before China, would Africans have been able to purchase Android devices to access the Internet? Huawei to ensure 4G and 5G networks are widely available?

However, Africans don't have to stick to one major bloc, but be able to choose without coercion or bullying, none of which China does. Again, the facts are clear on it. Inasmuch as we can benefit from the West (I am having a hard time recalling any major benefit Western countries have invested into Africa willingly, not in a bid to compete with the Chinese), we should not treat the Chinese as if they are the worst because of some misunderstanding of facts.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by QueenNyakim: 4:02pm On Oct 09, 2023
That is not true. The history says it all. It was not China that plundered, and still plunders, the DRC for donkey years. It was not China that butchered the Himba tribe in Namibia, the first genocide committed on an ethnic group/race. That was where the Germans learnt work before the Holocaust. What about apartheid, was China involved? When China was constructing rails in Tanzania even when she lacked the expertise as she did today, where was the West? Na China enslaved blacks go America, Brazil, Caribbeans?

Oh, shut the f.ck up.

You have to bring up ancient history from a hundred to hundreds of years ago to think you have a point? Nations change, and what Western Europe and America were back then aren't the same Western Europe and America they are today. Granted America not so much considering they have destabilized the Middle East but that was due to their Right Wing government that pulled US into a forever war after the bombing of the Twin Towers trade centre but that is besides the point. Same goes for China pre and post-Maoism cultural revolution that destroyed their own culture, values, and morals. They are not the same China as they were back then.

I dont like the West either especially when they threaten to sanction us when we dont accept their shit or come to give us lectures rather than invest but,

Look at what China is currently doing to Africa NOW and how they are treating Africans IN Africa today. Here I will even help you since you been living under a rock.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8914295/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/28/china-racist-detergent-advert-outrage
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/13/world/asia/china-racist-museum-exhibit.html
https://us.eia.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/Made_in_China.pdf
http://www.aninews.in/news/world/others/chinas-illegal-gold-mining-in-ghana-adversely-impacting-its-environment20221021191244/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYmFWRLM3Bw
https://africansonchina.com/why-do-stories-of-fatherless-chinese-kids-in-africa-disempower-african-women/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlAiytqM5U

Yet you want to sing Kumbaya with these animals?

I am so glad more and more of us Africans are waking up to this shit. China is a racist, totalitarian, unbreathable shithole. You couldn't pay me any amount to live in an anti-freedom country like that. You don’t any right in their country but when they come to Africa our thieves who call themselves our leaders will hype them up and give them our biggest contracts to handle all the while they treat Africans like shit in their country.

2 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2023
killsmith:

And you aware China has begun seizing national assets of countries unable to payback debts?
In your dreams, right?
If not provide your source!
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 8:16am On Oct 10, 2023
QueenNyakim:

Oh, shut the f.ck up.

You have to bring up ancient history from a hundred to hundreds of years ago to think you have a point? Nations change, and what Western Europe and America were back then aren't the same Western Europe and America they are today. Granted America not so much considering they have destabilized the Middle East but that was due to their Right Wing government that pulled US into a forever war after the bombing of the Twin Towers trade centre but that is besides the point. Same goes for China pre and post-Maoism cultural revolution that destroyed their own culture, values, and morals. They are not the same China as they were back then.

I dont like the West either especially when they threaten to sanction us when we dont accept their shit or come to give us lectures rather than invest but,

Yet you want to sing Kumbaya with these animals?

I am so glad more and more of us Africans are waking up to this shit. China is a racist, totalitarian, unbreathable shithole. You couldn't pay me any amount to live in an anti-freedom country like that. You don’t any right in their country but when they come to Africa our thieves who call themselves our leaders will hype them up and give them our biggest contracts to handle all the while they treat Africans like shit in their country.

For the respect I have for Pansophist and this thread, I will try to be civil, but this will be my only response to you. Just know that if you quote me with those words you used as your first line elsewhere on Nairaland, I would return it fire-for-fire. As a long-time Nairalander, I cannot be bullied o. No be today I begin fight as a member. Kpata kpata, I will chop ban and return to continue the fight. FYI, I don't have another account, so I am always ready to fight. Any time, any day.

As I have stated countless times on Nairaland, the belief that everyone will like a black person, whether black African or otherwise, is nonexistent. No one likes black people for varying reasons, one of which is that black people are poor. No one likes poor people. Even poor people don't like other poor people. Chinese don't really like black people or people with darker skins. However, just because they have some Chinese have misbehaved does not mean Africans should dissociate from the Chinese. I am being pragmatic rather than dogmatic here. It is funny how you only focused on where I reeled out the atrocities the West have committed on Africans and African soil but omitted where I mentioned that trade with China has soared. In return, ordinary Africans have become richer by trading with the Chinese.

Indians across forums, including the comment section of the Financial Times, ALWAYS re-count what the West did to their country and citizens, even as Western leaders try to engage in a bromance with the country, its elites and leaders. Meanwhile, one random QueenNyakim From-God-Knows-Where says we should forget about it because kini kan it is a long time ago. Forgetting that atrocities of such nature have long-lasting effects on ordinary Africans. Was Apartheid a long time ago? What about the removal of Ghadaffi, which destabilised the Sahel Region and made guns easily available like pure water? Was China involved?

Racist acts are condemnable, but no racist acts by the Chinese would outdo the centuries (which means it haff tey) of racial dehumanisation that the West have perpetrated towards Africans, aka black people. The Chinese have offered to trade with Africans on equal terms, but as I stated, it depends on our negotiation skills. African farmers sell agricultural products to China more than Europe or America. South Africa, where most of the farmers are Whites, sells more farm produce to China than to the EU, where those White farmers descended from.

In summary, the West have racially abused Africans, aka black people. The Chinese are copying the same thing. However, the Chinese are trading with Africans, transferring technical know-how and investing throughout the continent. They are building infrastructure (I have addressed the mendacious debt trap mumbo-jumbo, so don't try to bring it up), buying products from Africans and engaging with the continent to promote trade and investments. The funny thing about your defence of the West's treatment towards Africans is that I was once like that many years ago. A search of my moniker + Libya would have you see where I was literally riding the preek of anything Western. So, your love is something I have done. No be today, it haff tey. As they say, been-there-and-done-it

China is a racist, totalitarian, unbreathable shithole. You couldn't pay me any amount to live in an anti-freedom country like that.

Apart from the US and UK, and largely because of the significant proportion of black people, I dare say Africans have it worse in Continental Europe, considering the economic opportunities China has to offer. Money lessens the effects of racial discrimination. I wager that many Africans have made good money by doing business with the Chinese instead of with the Italians, Spaniards or Germans. Anti-freedom? What more is anti-freedom when Canada and the Netherlands sue and bully farmers who protested against policies which affect their industry? Is freedom the ability to say you are a woman today, man tomorrow, and binary next tomorrow? Would freedom construct the roads to your village? Offer you 4G? Before mentioning spying allegations, the US actually spied on Europeans and their leaders, which is why Iceland decided not to ban Huawei.

You mention freedom, yet young Rwandans earn $500 monthly working as translators in their country because they know Chinese. The ability to earn a decent living without being bullied or coerced to accept ridiculous lifestyles? Meanwhile, we have folks who can hear what Olaf Scholz says and studied German at undergraduate levels but cannot get a study visa to Germany. OK, let them remain in Nigeria, but which German company would they work for? How many Germans do you see in Nigeria working with factories to install equipment to power Nigeria's industrialisation? How many German companies are actively operating in Nigeria across sectors? What form of freedom is better than economic freedom?

The Germans build fantastic train systems, but which country is behind the Lagos monorail? Abuja rail system? Why haven't your darling West invested in Africa to match the Chinese? yen yen yen, the Chinese are racists. So are Westerners, but who is actively investing across Africa, resulting in job creation and transfer of technical know-how? As a black person, you are more likely to be killed/attacked/injured in the West than in East Asia. London, not Beijing, is the World's stabbing capital, and most of the perpetrators, ditto victims, are blacks. What about the US? It is a free-for-all where police and citizens shoot for a living, not at practice boards, but at themselves.

Trust me, no one is begging you to live in China. I personally like it when people lampoon a place while I generate economic opportunities there. I prefer less competition. Just as the Nigerians in the US/UK/Canada dissuade those at home from relocating so they get all the benefits themselves, so do I. Lastly, as a black African, supposedly, terming China a sh!thole is an aberration. Learn to have some shame, at least publicly or pretend to have.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 8:26am On Oct 10, 2023
I stumbled upon a letter by a Latin American who is a researcher at Boston University addressing an article by the Financial Times (FT) about how the Chinese are "controlling" Latin America's infrastructure. There is nothing that the man stated that I have not raised on this thread. How can you say we should not trade with the Chinese because of security concerns? Meanwhile, you never bothered to do the same. Why should we say no to China's money and expertise when we don't have the finances or technical know-how to develop needed infrastructure which would benefit our people? It sounds absurd and reeks of infantilization.

I will drop some screenshots of the letter and access to the article, which is free-to-read so that discerning readers can judge for themselves whether China is as bad as they and one random QueenNyakim claim.

letter: https://archive.md/39fOA

6 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 8:48am On Oct 10, 2023
So, the article has statements by US officials about how they are apprehensive that China is partnering with sovereign countries in building much needed infrastructure and trade deals. The US is not interested in doing the same. Let it be stated that the US has been behind literally all the coups throughout Latin America with nothing to show it for ordinary people. China steps in to TRADE, not BULLY or COERCE these countries, aka a Win-Win relationship. What happens? The US is angry. Let it be stated here that the US has over 1000 military bases across the world, but China has only one, which is at Djibouti to thwart sea pirates' activities. The US, Japan, South Korea and a host of EU countries also have bases there as well.

Economic prosperity is the best antidote to your poor neighbours barging into your house uninvited. Your neighbours will not come to your house when they are as prosperous as you are. Even if you offer them free pass entry, most will not be interested in visiting you because they are doing well economically. Currently, the US faces a major migrant crisis from many Latin American countries. The question is: as a major economic superpower and political bloc throughout the hemisphere, why has the US not invested across South America so that ordinary people benefit and never try to enter the US illegally? Japan, South Korea and now China do this across South East Asia. In return, South East Asians don't attempt illegal migration because economic opportunities exist in their countries, which are the fruits of wealthy East Asian countries' investments. Why should a Thai come to Japan to work in automobile factories when there are Toyota factories across Thailand? Why should an Indonesian attempt to enter South Korea illegally when Korean ditto Chinese companies are investing like hungry lions across the archipelago?

Now, China does the same in South America strictly for economic purposes rather than military. If the Chinese wanted to step up a military base, they would have done it near the country and on the soil of a South East Asian nation. Rather, the Phillippines got a military base from the US, while Malaysia got a $10BN investment from Geely Motors. But but but, one random QueenNyakim says neither Malays nor Indonesians should dance kumbaya with the Chinese, but with folks who will promote LGTV activities rather than trade.

Again, for discerning readers, review this article and judge for yourselves. Who would you rather associate with, the folk who tell you to say no to finance and expertise for needed infrastructure WITHOUT offering an alternative or the one who is deeply interested in how you uplift yourself via trade and investment?

Article (free-to-read): https://archive.md/m0XfA

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by CaveAdullam: 12:06pm On Oct 10, 2023
Gerrard59:
So, the article has statements by US officials about how they are apprehensive that China is partnering with sovereign countries in building much needed infrastructure and trade deals. The US is not interested in doing the same. Let it be stated that the US has been behind literally all the coups throughout Latin America with nothing to show it for ordinary people. China steps in to TRADE, not BULLY or COERCE these countries, aka a Win-Win relationship. What happens? The US is angry. Let it be stated here that the US has over 1000 military bases across the world, but China has only one, which is at Djibouti to thwart sea pirates' activities. The US, Japan, South Korea and a host of EU countries also have bases there as well.

Economic prosperity is the best antidote to your poor neighbours barging into your house uninvited. Your neighbours will not come to your house when they are as prosperous as you are. Even if you offer them free pass entry, most will not be interested in visiting you because they are doing well economically. Currently, the US faces a major migrant crisis from many Latin American countries. The question is: as a major economic superpower and political bloc throughout the hemisphere, why has the US not invested across South America so that ordinary people benefit and never try to enter the US illegally? Japan, South Korea and now China do this across South East Asia. In return, South East Asians don't attempt illegal migration because economic opportunities exist in their countries, which are the fruits of wealthy East Asian countries' investments. Why should a Thai come to Japan to work in automobile factories when there are Toyota factories across Thailand? Why should an Indonesian attempt to enter South Korea illegally when Korean ditto Chinese companies are investing like hungry lions across the archipelago?

Now, China does the same in South America strictly for economic purposes rather than military. If the Chinese wanted to step up a military base, they would have done it near the country and on the soil of a South East Asian nation. Rather, the Phillippines got a military base from the US, while Malaysia got a $10BN investment from Geely Motors. But but but, one random QueenNyakim says neither Malays nor Indonesians should dance kumbaya with the Chinese, but with folks who will promote LGTV activities rather than trade.

Again, for discerning readers, review this article and judge for yourselves. Who would you rather associate with, the folk who tell you to say no to finance and expertise for needed infrastructure WITHOUT offering an alternative or the one who is deeply interested in how you uplift yourself via trade and investment?

Article (free-to-read): https://archive.md/m0XfA

The United States of America are just angry because their influence in South America is dwindling. As Chinese presence will limit the extension of their tentacles and government control.

I get their concerns though. Because if the aboriginals, allow foreigners to run their economy from top to bottom, they'll be ousted or become dormant. Circumstances may change in the future, we don't know how though.

There comes strategic diplomacy and negotiations. This is a positive sum game. Each side must be vigilant.

Nice article by the way.

Kudos.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 5:01pm On Oct 10, 2023
@QueenNyakim,

Your insult would have been justified if at least, you were correct in your assertions. Also, pasting Western links, which is biased in its very existence doesn't give credence to your write-up.

Western oppression of Africans and by extension, the global south is not a long time ago, it is happening now, will continue into the future, and part of your everyday life.

I don't think I should go about writing how you breathe in western hegemony daily, merely reading this post from page one should make it clear. But no, it is not long ago, or hundreds of years, ago. It just evolved.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by kkins25(m): 8:12pm On Oct 10, 2023
Gerrard59:

Trust me, no one is begging you to live in China. [b]I personally like it when people lampoon a place while I generate economic opportunities there. I prefer less competition. Just as the Nigerians in the US/UK/Canada dissuade those at home from relocating so they get all the benefits themselves, so do I. Lastly, as a black African, supposedly, terming China a sh!thole is an aberration. Learn to have some shame, at least publicly or pretend to have.[[/b]

Bad man! grin grin grin the game is the game.

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by seguno2: 12:47pm On Oct 11, 2023
Gerrard59:
I stumbled upon a letter by a Latin American who is a researcher at Boston University addressing an article by the Financial Times (FT) about how the Chinese are "controlling" Latin America's infrastructure. There is nothing that the man stated that I have not raised on this thread. How can you say we should not trade with the Chinese because of security concerns? Meanwhile, you never bothered to do the same. Why should we say no to China's money and expertise when we don't have the finances or technical know-how to develop needed infrastructure which would benefit our people? It sounds absurd and reeks of infantilization.

I will drop some screenshots of the letter and access to the article, which is free-to-read so that discerning readers can judge for themselves whether China is as bad as they and one random QueenNyakim claim.

letter: https://archive.md/39fOA

What do you think about the fact that Americans helped the Chinese and South Koreans develop their economies, and even the Japanese after defeating them in WWII, but they didn’t help their Latin American neighbours as well as us Africans?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 5:16am On Oct 12, 2023
seguno2:

What do you think about the fact that Americans helped the Chinese and South Koreans develop their economies, and even the Japanese after defeating them in WWII, but they didn’t help their Latin American neighbours as well as us Africans?

For Africa, my theory is that should black African countries get wealthy, like China, Germany, Japan (for the most populous ones), and Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Norway, and Sweden for the less populous ones, blacks will avenge the racial dehumanisation committed by whites against them. They will likely team up with already established wealthy blacks in the US to challenge the so-called Liberal Order. Some might remain allies vassals just like Japan (upon the atomic bombs dropped on her soil), but others will challenge or openly question Western countries' policies towards blacks in places like Haiti, Guyana and Brazil.

Wealth gives power, and with it, hitherto poorer countries will begin to defend their kith elsewhere. For instance, Biden offered Kenya financial resources to restore order in Haiti (a court in Nairobi has ordered the operation to stop tho). If Kenya was as rich as South Korea or Nigeria as Germany, none will need the money or go-ahead from the Americans before offering succour to our kith faraway. Normal normal, a Surinamese or Haitian suppose apply to jobs in Nigeria/Kenya/DRC without hassles. That is what white South Africans do, wake up one morning and apply to European firms, boom, dem don get work. The same support the West lends to their kin in Southern Africa or India to Maldives/Madagascar or Spain to folks in South America. In another instance, some Chinese Singaporeans are proud of how Mainland China is now powerful. Yet another instance, the Japanese government created a special migration scheme for 4th generation Japanese in Brazil - they get an express route to naturalisation or permanent residency status if they wish. Thousands of Japanese moved to Brazil in the early 20th century in search of work when the Brazilians ran out of workers to man fields. Today, Brazil has the highest number of Japanese outside Japan.

Else, I don't see why Western governments and businesses will advocate for south east Asia whereas Africa is nearby, where labour costs are the lowest globally. English, French and to an extent Dutch and German are spoken by the natives. It is geographically closer. Senegal is closer to manufacture goods than Vietnam and export to Germany. One might say skills - but the Chinese were aided by the West to produce goods, ditto the Thais by the Japanese. To learn no be the problem. Did you offer them the opportunity to learn, and they refused to? Another one is remote jobs. You carry remote jobs go India and Phillippines, but West Africa is closer, and the rest of the continent shares the same timezone as Europe. Tomorrow, you begin dey complain about illegal migration because they want to search for a better life. Where else would they barge into if not the closest wealthy neighbour they can see? Na China or Japan dem go enter illegally?

As for South America, no idea.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by seguno2: 8:09am On Oct 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

For Africa, my theory is that should black African countries get wealthy, like China, Germany, Japan (for the most populous ones), and Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea, Norway, and Sweden for the less populous ones, blacks will avenge the racial dehumanisation committed by whites against them. They will likely team up with already established wealthy blacks in the US to challenge the so-called Liberal Order. Some might remain allies vassals just like Japan (upon the atomic bombs dropped on her soil), but others will challenge or openly question Western countries' policies towards blacks in places like Haiti, Guyana and Brazil.

Wealth gives power, and with it, hitherto poorer countries will begin to defend their kith elsewhere. For instance, Biden offered Kenya financial resources to restore order in Haiti (a court in Nairobi has ordered the operation to stop tho). If Kenya was as rich as South Korea or Nigeria as Germany, none will need the money or go-ahead from the Americans before offering succour to our kith faraway. Normal normal, a Surinamese or Haitian suppose apply to jobs in Nigeria/Kenya/DRC without hassles. That is what white South Africans do, wake up one morning and apply to European firms, boom, dem don get work. The same support the West lends to their kin in Southern Africa or India to Maldives/Madagascar or Spain to folks in South America. In another instance, some Chinese Singaporeans are proud of how Mainland China is now powerful. Yet another instance, the Japanese government created a special migration scheme for 4th generation Japanese in Brazil - they get an express route to naturalisation or permanent residency status if they wish. Thousands of Japanese moved to Brazil in the early 20th century in search of work when the Brazilians ran out of workers to man fields. Today, Brazil has the highest number of Japanese outside Japan.

Else, I don't see why Western governments and businesses will advocate for south east Asia whereas Africa is nearby, where labour costs are the lowest globally. English, French and to an extent Dutch and German are spoken by the natives. It is geographically closer. Senegal is closer to manufacture goods than Vietnam and export to Germany. One might say skills - but the Chinese were aided by the West to produce goods, ditto the Thais by the Japanese. To learn no be the problem. Did you offer them the opportunity to learn, and they refused to? Another one is remote jobs. You carry remote jobs go India and Phillippines, but West Africa is closer, and the rest of the continent shares the same timezone as Europe. Tomorrow, you begin dey complain about illegal migration because they want to search for a better life. Where else would they barge into if not the closest wealthy neighbour they can see? Na China or Japan dem go enter illegally?

As for South America, no idea.

Many thanks for your reply.
I wonder why the Chinese are not also using us Africans as their cheap labour factories, now that they are wealthy and wage rates are very high?

Do you think it’s because we are needlessly antagonistic to our benefactors, such that we reference and revere empty comrades like Julius Malema, Robert Mugabe, Thomas Sankara, Patrice Lumumba etc

Do we have any record of the Chinese, South Koreans or even the Japanese being equally antagonistic when they were still in need of assistance from the West?
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by haybhi1(m): 10:58am On Oct 12, 2023
pansophist:
@QueenNyakim,
Your insult would have been justified if at least, you were correct in your assertions. Also, pasting Western links, which is biased in its very existence doesn't give credence to your write-up.

Western oppression of Africans and by extension, the global south is not a long time ago, it is happening now, will continue into the future, and part of your everyday life.

I don't think I should go about writing how you breathe in western hegemony daily, merely reading this post from page one should make it clear. But no, it is not long ago, or hundreds of years, ago. It just evolved.
hi, may I know how the west oppress us Africans at the moment?

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Somilat: 12:30pm On Oct 12, 2023
Nigeria has to side with the former
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 2:43pm On Oct 12, 2023
seguno2:

I wonder why the Chinese are not also using us Africans as their cheap labour factories, now that they are wealthy and wage rates are very high?

They are. Most new factories opened across the continent are manned/founded by Indians, Lebanese and recently, Chinese. Chinese were involved in Ethiopia. However, with the civil war that happened, I don't know how far. Just like other investors, the Chinese need a sense of safety to protect their investments. In Ogun state and Lekki Free Trade Zone, na Chinese dey there. The Lekki Port was partly financed by the Chinese. Why Netherlands and Germany no put money inside? Tomorrow, if the German chancellor cautions Africa in doing business with the Chinese, does that make sense?

For instance, in solid minerals, the Chinese are all over. When I mentioned negotiations, e get why. In Indonesia, the politicians introduced a law mandating mining firms to process the minerals in the country before export. The EU sued Indonesia at the WTO. Meanwhile, Chinese investors opened factories. Enact the same law in Nigeria, and they (the Chinese) will open factories. They are that pragmatic. Seeing how China got entrenched, Korean investors followed and did the same. Knowing that others have ploughed so much in factories, Ford partnered with Chinese miners to plough $4.5BN into a new processing facility. If the Chinese had not invested and rather bullied or threatened Indonesia, others would not have followed. The EU won at the WTO, and Indonesia has appealed. One of the senior politicians to Joko, the president, echoed similar words as the South American researcher at Boston University. But but but one random QueenNyakim believes the Chinese are evil. Evil people dey create jobs for other people?

No idea about your other questions.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by seguno2: 3:03pm On Oct 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

They are. Most new factories opened across the continent are manned/founded by Indians, Lebanese and recently, Chinese. Chinese were involved in Ethiopia. However, with the civil war that happened, I don't know how far. Just like other investors, the Chinese need a sense of safety to protect their investments. In Ogun state and Lekki Free Trade Zone, na Chinese dey there. The Lekki Port was partly financed by the Chinese. Why Netherlands and Germany no put money inside? Tomorrow, if the German chancellor cautions Africa in doing business with the Chinese, does that make sense?

For instance, in solid minerals, the Chinese are all over. When I mentioned negotiations, e get why. In Indonesia, the politicians introduced a law mandating mining firms to process the minerals in the country before export. The EU sued Indonesia at the WTO. Meanwhile, Chinese investors opened factories. Enact the same law in Nigeria, and they (the Chinese) will open factories. They are that pragmatic. Seeing how China got entrenched, Korean investors followed and did the same. Knowing that others have ploughed so much in factories, Ford partnered with Chinese miners to plough $4.5BN into a new processing facility. If the Chinese had not invested and rather bullied or threatened Indonesia, others would not have followed. The EU won at the WTO, and Indonesia has appealed. One of the senior politicians to Joko, the president, echoed similar words as the South American researcher at Boston University. But but but one random QueenNyakim believes the Chinese are evil. Evil people dey create jobs for other people?

No idea about your other questions.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this matter.
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 12:02pm On Oct 15, 2023
olutund:

Good day sir pansophist

I noticed youve been silent on the isreali-palestine matter.

intentional right?

I like to know about a particular issue before having an opinion on it. So yes, my silence was intentional.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by olutund(m): 12:17pm On Oct 15, 2023
pansophist:

I like to know about a particular issue before having an opinion on it. So yes, my silence was intentional.

Alright
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by budaatum: 5:36pm On Oct 22, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 2:09pm On Oct 23, 2023
BRICS have done it again, the fight to throw off the dollar and SWIFT has received another blow. BRIC pay has been launched.

Brics-pay.com

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Regex: 2:12pm On Oct 23, 2023
pansophist:
BRICS have done it again, the fight to throw off the dollar and SWIFT has received another blow. BRIC pay has been launched.

Brics-pay.com

I am so happy. It's as if I won the lottery!

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by fredwill1357(m): 10:28pm On Nov 02, 2023
seguno2:

Cc: Gerrard59. Some people on quora say America invested in China to use its cheap lab our to manufacture low tier goods for America consumption, while American industries focus on the high tier goods. Remember it's not America that is teaching China high tech.
America helped South Korea to make it better than North Korea and show the world that Communism or socialism doesn't work.
America perhaps helped Japan, to make itself appear better before the world after the genocide in Japan. I think their theory makes sense.
I do not consider America evil or a bad country though, maybe more of a necessary evil. The devil you know is better than the angel you don't know. Without America, terrorists, dark dictators, extremist religions and countries might be running the world. Perhaps it is time for a new world order, let's see. PS: America has done some good things.

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by fredwill1357(m): 10:48pm On Nov 02, 2023
seguno2:

Do you think it’s because we are needlessly antagonistic to our benefactors, such that we reference and revere empty comrades like Julius Malema, Robert Mugabe, Thomas Sankara, Patrice Lumumba etc

Do we have any record of the Chinese, South Koreans or even the Japanese being equally antagonistic when they were still in need of assistance from the West?
China is investing and transfering low and mid technologies to countries like Vietnam. Nigeria and many countries in Africa are unstable and are runned by corrupt incompetent leaders. Factories, industries and Businesses are suffering setbacks and are shutting down in Nigeria. It is called investment not charity, who will confidently invest in an unsafe country like Nigeria? Both in physical security and economic security. Nigeria, the largest market in Africa scores low. Even Nigerians are intentionally moving their money out of Nigeria or converting to dollars.

Why do you call the mentioned individuals empty comrades?

1 Like

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by kkins25(m): 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2023
QueenNyakim:

Why this suddenly get emotional? The video shared doesn't in anyway counter Gerrads arguments.
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by kkins25(m): 3:11pm On Nov 08, 2023
budaatum:
Basically, US must pay higher interest to borrow to spend.

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/10/20/why-longer-dated-treasury-yields-spiked-its-not-magic-yield-solves-all-demand-problems/
How the hell hasn't the US collapsed? oh, the most powerful military. grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by kkins25(m): 3:17pm On Nov 08, 2023
pansophist:

Brics-pay.com

Wonderful!!!!!!!
Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 1:55am On Nov 09, 2023
fredwill1357:
Cc: Gerr.ard59. Some people on quora say America invested in China to use its cheap lab our to manufacture low tier goods for America consumption, while American industries focus on the high tier goods. Remember it's not America that is teaching China high tech.

That is true. But as China rose up the value chains, the US got aggressive and belligerent. If China had remained the low-value manufacturing hub the West wanted it to be, this so-called trade war would not have started. Another one is that China does not agree with the plot to weaken or kill off Russia. See Ukraine today. More than 500K males don die. Yet the war continues. I read posts from conservative white American males lamenting the situation and recalled Pansophist's post about killing off Slavs. I then wonder, is there a difference between Slavs from Eastern Europe and other whites from Western Europe? White people are literally dying off due to low birth rates, so killing more whites in another part of the world does not make sense to me.

America helped South Korea to make it better than North Korea and show the world that Communism or socialism doesn't work.
America perhaps helped Japan, to make itself appear better before the world after the genocide in Japan. I think their theory makes sense.
I do not consider America evil or a bad country though, maybe more of a necessary evil. The devil you know is better than the angel you don't know.

The US aided the growth of South Korea and Japan to counter the spread of communism. How come she did not replicate the same in selected African countries? Just look at the re-offshoring plans aimed at China, no African country is mentioned. Rather, faraway countries in South East Asia. Fine, they have cheap labour. But Africa's labour is the cheapest globally. Also, apart from the West Coast in the US, no country in Asia is closer to Western Europe or North America than Western, Southern and Eastern Africa. So, how come companies are not compelled to open factories there?

As you mentioned, only China is putting factories in these countries. The good thing is that China CONTRIBUTES to skilling up the local workforce. The Chinese from actions, so far, are not afraid of competition. It is more like "Bring it on". I have outlined examples using the recent laws in Indonesia and Malaysia.

Without America, terrorists, dark dictators, extremist religions and countries might be running the world. Perhaps it is time for a new world order, let's see. PS: America has done some good things.

On the surface, that seems true. I had similar views years ago. But on closer look into history, one sees the meddling hands of the Yanks. In Iran, Iraq, Indonesia, South America and now Southeast Asia. It was the US that propped up Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussien. They supported Gaddafi and Co., when they were useful. Na part of the reasons I no dey pity them with looking at the migrant crises. They ruined these countries and regions. It is why, apart from the Philippines, the region's leaders are careful if not, the US does not mind going to war all in a bid to contain China, thereby destroying their region. After all, US politicians have publicly stated they don't mind destroying Taiwan's semiconductors' facilities so they don't end up in the hands of China. Countries should be allowed to develop at their own pace based on their cultural beliefs and practices, provided they don't export these beliefs overseas. The nonsense about democracy does not work in all regions. What humans are interested in is economic prosperity. The House of Saud was enthroned by the British and later supported by the Americans as the British Empire ended because the previous ruler refused to sign the document, which will see the current land divided between present-day Palestinians and Israelis. He refused because it was not the initial agreement the Brits agreed to by creating an Arab state if the Ottoman Empire was defeated.

3 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 11:15pm On Nov 10, 2023
Gerrard59:

It is why, apart from the Philippines, the region's leaders are careful if not, the US does not mind going to war all in a bid to contain China, thereby destroying their region. After all, US politicians have publicly stated they don't mind destroying Taiwan's semiconductors' facilities so they don't end up in the hands of China.

America is building four new bases in the Philippines

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/philippines-reveals-locations-4-new-strategic-sites-us-military-pact-2023-04-03/

And the location of three of those four bases is located on the island of Luzon, which is not far from Taiwan. The US is really preparing for hot chaos in Asia, and Bongbog Marcos is fully onboard, making his country a tool for US geopolitical games.

I am not sure why China is not responding preemptively. China is way way too patient for my liking. I only hope the US does not smuggle nuclear weapons there, just as they did in the Cuban crisis.

On a common sense note, it baffles me that there are leaders like Bongbog. What motivates such men? Is money/bribe/ or Western acceptance enough to sacrifice good, for evil? sigh.

3 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 6:51am On Nov 11, 2023
pansophist:

America is building four new bases in the Philippines

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/philippines-reveals-locations-4-new-strategic-sites-us-military-pact-2023-04-03/

And the location of three of those four bases is located on the island of Luzon, which is not far from Taiwan. The US is really preparing for hot chaos in Asia,

Based on this doctrine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfowitz_Doctrine E sure me die say the US is hell bent on fighting China through lackeys like the Philippines. It is going to be a long decade in Asia.

I am not sure why China is not responding preemptively. China is way way too patient for my liking. I only hope the US does not smuggle nuclear weapons there, just as they did in the Cuban crisis.

I have wanted to ask you the same. Their responses are slow, not hard enough and they appear weak atimes. I can understand tact and not be hasty to reply, but it has gotten too far. On the other hand, what do you think of the constant missing persons in high-ranking positions. Today, army chief loss, another day, a senior minister don kpeme. Then a former prime minister kpai as well. Before you know wetin, one billionaire don carry declared missing tag. What is going on? shocked

On a common sense note, it baffles me that there are leaders like Bongbog. What motivates such men? Is money/bribe/ or Western acceptance enough to sacrifice good, for evil? sigh.

The Philippines is South East Asian's most westernised society. The second should be Singapore. Years of colonialism and brainwashing don make them easily malleable to the capricies of Western powers. One would think this relationship would have made the country wealthier, but no. The West knows who to use to achieve their aims and how useful the country might be. The Philippines is useful for military bases, but South Korea is useful for both military bases and economic cooperation. Compare the Philippines with Malaysia. Malaysia isn't really an ally, but she gets economic benefits from Western countries. Indonesia is different, but at least it is better not to be an ally than to be one, yet, money or economic prosperity no follow.

2 Likes

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by pansophist(m): 2:09am On Nov 12, 2023
Gerrard59:

I have wanted to ask you the same. Their responses are slow, not hard enough and they appear weak atimes. I can understand tact and not be hasty to reply, but it has gotten too far. On the other hand, what do you think of the constant missing persons in high-ranking positions. Today, army chief loss, another day, a senior minister don kpeme. Then a former prime minister kpai as well. Before you know wetin, one billionaire don carry declared missing tag. What is going on? shocked

China is the only civilization in modern times that grew from the ashes without invading, occupying, or stealing other country's resources. That title is something very precious and the foundation of Chinese diplomatic rise.

Now add China's political slogan called ''common prosperity'', now how will you justify invading another country with this background?

Also, since the US foreign policy is controlled by the military-industrial complex, then it could be said that those bases and expansion are just another way to funnel money into their pocket, just as the Ukraine war, and all the crap they sell to Taiwan.

So no point in just jumping in and invading when the coast is not clear. Yes, they are building bases, but I don't think Abuja cares if Cameroon builds bases. Invade us first, then we will respond.

Going to invade the Philipines would be a violation of international law, it will enrage the global community, and give reasons for even worse alliances to spring up in the region.

Which I bet you, that Washington will benefit from it massively, be it militarily (by alliances with China's neighbors), diplomatically, politically, etc. Take Russia's invasion of Ukraine as a case study.

Also, it will be a formula that works. The next country to use to lure China into another hot war could be India, to build bases close to China (remember, India is in AUKUS). As usual, the US will be in the background adding fuel, selling weapons, and demonizing China 24/7 in the UN, media, sanctions, etc.

India may not accept a US base now, but if China invades the Philippines, it will soften India's political class and they will have strong evidence to take preemptive measures which would be against China's security interest, just as Finland joined Nato because of Ukraine war.

The Chinese are no fools. They know that the US is doing everything to provoke them, but they will only react when their redline has been crossed. Don't forget, there are US bases closer to China than the ones in Luzon, such as bases in Japan and Korea.

But bases don't do anything. It only helps with logistics, that's all. But if an invasion against China is launched from there, then it gives China all the justification to finish it once and for all. But China will not be the aggressor.

A Russian ship recently docked in Cuba, and China is cooperating with South American countries, which I guess will include the military. A form of tit for tat. I suspect it's the Cuban missile repetition. China will mirror anything the US does. If they plant missiles in the Philippines, they will do the same.

In the Pacific, Middle East, Africa, and even Europe (especially European countries not in the EU), China is strengthening ties with countries and regions that are traditionally US sphere of influence.

SCO versus NATO, WTO versus BRI, G7 versus BRICS, e-RMB versus USD, CIPS versus SWIFT, Exim bank versus IMF, the list goes on. China is on a mission to dethrone the US as the world hegemon, and they will do it by not been aggressors, that's The Anglos hallmark.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century by Gerrard59(m): 3:30pm On Nov 16, 2023
pansophist:

China is the only civilization in modern times that grew from the ashes without invading, occupying, or stealing other country's resources. That title is something very precious and the foundation of Chinese diplomatic rise.

, Exim bank versus IMF, the list goes on. China is on a mission to dethrone the US as the world hegemon, and they will do it by not been aggressors, that's The Anglos hallmark.

Xi is in the US for the APEC summit. Here is a snapshot of what he said: what do you think about the sudden bromance?

Here is the article (free-to-read): https://archive.md/x2RIn

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Berlusconi Sentenced To One Year Jail Term. / South Africa Slips Into Technical Recession As GDP Drops 0.7% In Q2 / Mali: ECOWAS Imposes Economic And Political Sanctions After Election Delay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.