Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,790 members, 7,831,552 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:51 PM

CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board (23875 Views)

CBN May Not Clear FOREX Backlog — Report / New Note Crisis: CBN May Print Naira Abroad To Ease Cash Crunch / CBN May Devalue Naira Steeply After 2023 Elections - Bloomberg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Astra101: 11:02am On Aug 14, 2023
Ths
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by yesloaded: 11:02am On Aug 14, 2023
leokid866:
Try...Ogun....Ibadan...Rivers.....Delta......Kano and Kaduna but the last two you might want to focus in their capital.....the edges are not as safe.

Ogun, Ibadan under IBEDC and power supply is bad

I lives in Ibadan

5 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by LordAdam16: 11:08am On Aug 14, 2023
SalamRushdie:
I called this first many weeks ago and I never call Anything wrong..like I said then Tinubu had lost control of of the economy because of his poorly implemented fuel and Naira deregulation and remember I predicted that that naira will get to 1200 to a dollar and Petro 1050 per litre abd Tinubu will be forced to start regulating them again other to save his govt from a popular uprising....Nigerians will be the ultimate losers

He would not let the gasoline price balloon to 1050.

Unofficially, currency subsidy is back. Insiders know this. The I&E windows oscillates between 740 & 790 because of CBN interventions.

The next step is to revert to NNPC enjoying a monopoly on gasoline importation at "official" subsidized I&E rates. Independent marketers originally gearing to import have halted plans.

The parallel market rate can crash to 1500. But if gasoline price stays relatively stable and minimum wage is increased by at least 50%, there'd be no uprising. Nigerians will begrudgingly settle in for an economic winter.

Essentially, in only 3 months, he has gone full circle and reintroduced the policies General Buhari and Emperor Meffy were lampooned for. That's the price to pay for a loose tongue and blithe impulsion.

-Lord

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by saysoo: 11:49am On Aug 14, 2023
May or have lost the control?

2 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by ogododo: 11:51am On Aug 14, 2023
Nlfpmod, water don pass garri.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by SalamRushdie: 11:53am On Aug 14, 2023
9jatriot:
I think I did recall you opening a thread along this line sometime ago.
What do you think however can be done to remedy the situation, assuming you were talking from an economic point of view without any political undertone?

Coz, this matter affects us all, ostrict and rat alike.

These were my suggestion when Tinubu was elected..

Fuel Subsidy:

I advised then that he should not rush into completely removing subsidy without a a functioning local refinery that can at least supply upto 80 percent of daily consumption , I advised instead he does a staggered removal where subsidized fuel is sold by only oil major ( majors ohh not franchise) will IPMAN is allowed to sell at any price they want..The oil majors selling subsidized petrol will only be paid subsidy for every litre sold at the filling station pump and not at any tank farm and it will be paid quarterly after thorough audit of pump readings and quarterly financials of the the oil majors , while this is going on the govt must rally to make sure Dangote refinery lagos starts producing Petro by January and then give approvals for private firms to set up upto 30 modular refineries to aide supply ..But we have missed that point now so the only thing to do to keep the price at 568 Nigerians are already getting used to is to give the entire downstream a 2 year tax holiday in exchange they keep prices at 568 while the govt goes ahead to make sure Dangote can start producing by at least April 2024 and also we immediately start giving out licenses for modular refineries..

For the forex honestly the only solution is to defend it for a while till the panic buying subsides , once you don't stop the panic buying there will be no way to slow it it down

4 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by aklid(m): 11:55am On Aug 14, 2023
I said this before countless times
If care is not taken that policy will make the naira weak
To 1k/$

By now we know that everything left in the hands of marketers in Nigeria is bad and pure evil will take place ..
Nigerian marketers are usually the Must wicked people in this country, look at fuel too now that they are said to have privileges to import it … when they increase prices even if the prices of petrol or materials used to manufacture their goods goes down, they won’t take the prices down..🤦🏽‍♂️

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by 9jatriot(m): 12:11pm On Aug 14, 2023
Hmmm, would this not give victory to the so called cabal who need us to continue the regime of subsidy.

Is it possible they are the ones fighting back and fighting dirty? Many of the things you have suggested look like things we have been trying since God knows when. Take the issue of repairing the refineries. Remember Kachukwu (former minister of petroleum) staked his reputation then that the refinery under his watch will start working in 2 years also.

With all news coming from CBN, can we really afford to continue with trying to defend the naira? As a matter of fact, if we even get the dollar component right, the subsidy removal will resolve itself. If the dollar takes a consistent value for about 1 year, then industries can plan better but when today it is 800, tomorrow it jumps straight to 850 and now even 805 then all the permutations goes out of the window.

For me, it is the dollar part that worries me the most.

SalamRushdie:

These were my suggestion when Tinubu was elected..

Fuel Subsidy:

I advised then that he should not rush into completely removing subsidy without a a functioning local refinery that can at least supply upto 80 percent of daily consumption , I advised instead he does a staggered removal where subsidized fuel is sold by only oil major ( majors ohh not franchise) will IPMAN is allowed to sell at any price they want..The oil majors selling subsidized petrol will only be paid subsidy for every litre sold at the filling station pump and not at any tank farm and it will be paid quarterly after thorough audit of pump readings and quarterly financials of the the oil majors , while this is going on the govt must rally to make sure Dangote refinery lagos starts producing Petro by January and then give approvals for private firms to set up upto 30 modular refineries to aide supply ..But we have missed that point now so the only thing to do to keep the price at 568 Nigerians are already getting used to is to give the entire downstream a 2 year tax holiday in exchange they keep prices at 568 while the govt goes ahead to make sure Dangote can start producing by at least April 2024 and also we immediately start giving out licenses for modular refineries..

For the forex honestly the only solution is to defend it for a while till the panic buying subsides , once you don't stop the panic buying there will be no way to slow it it down
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by leokid866: 12:20pm On Aug 14, 2023
yesloaded:

Ogun, Ibadan under IBEDC and power supply is bad

I lives in Ibadan

who told you they are the only power supplier? I live in Ogun and I have near 21 hours light.....I also have a bakery and light is the least of our problems
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Kneebow(m): 12:44pm On Aug 14, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu8yK-DYBk0

Holy Ghost Maternity

Steven Akinola
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by tesppidd: 12:45pm On Aug 14, 2023
Emilokan grin

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by BoldBrainz(m): 12:45pm On Aug 14, 2023
helinues:
May? When we are in August

undecided embarassed

Them don thief Helinues phone again!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by lexy2014: 12:45pm On Aug 14, 2023
Who has noticed that the Niger junta has already set up a government with ministers in less than two weeks.

Tinubu ECOWAS chairman who wants to go and "restore" democracy in Niger, doesn't have a government and ministers 3 months after swearing in.

Who among the two is more serious and knows his job?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by PeterZoom: 12:46pm On Aug 14, 2023
Is this how things will continue to be bad?
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Kneebow(m): 12:47pm On Aug 14, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPAPHAvdWb0

Lamentation of the Jealous Preached at Latter rain Church Lagos

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by NAC1666: 12:48pm On Aug 14, 2023
ogododo:

https://punchng.com/cbn-may-lose-control-of-the-naira/
Godswill Emefiele should be brought back immediately....I advice Tinubu not to unify the CBN rate and the black market rate,he refused. Naira is dieing, CBN should quickly reverse the dollar unification immediately

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Yankee101: 12:48pm On Aug 14, 2023
How can you devalue after one week of being fullly in office?

You think it’s Lagos state?

No testing, no feaseability, nothing

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Timmi: 12:48pm On Aug 14, 2023
ogododo:

The CBN should not fund the Forex. Let the market determines the base that market will support.

There is no need to be subsidizing the rich folks sending their children to school abroad and also for their medical expenses. The bulk of the CBN subsidized fx is for these cronies.

The Punch editorial has been sponsored by these cabals that have no interest of the common man at heart.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by BoldBrainz(m): 12:48pm On Aug 14, 2023
You cannot lose what you never had.

The CBN lost control of the dollar when Yaradua reversed the sales of refineries as facilitated by his predecessor. Since his death, the subsequent governments have simply been propping the naira to stand upright. And the cbn never wielded any control on the dollar to this day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Ewedegubbler: 12:49pm On Aug 14, 2023
It’s not true. The CBN governor is Igbo, he hates Tinubu

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by razzydoo(m): 12:50pm On Aug 14, 2023
Sensationalist headline. Even Zimbabwe didn’t lose control of Zimbabwean Dollar due to hyperinflation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Issues40(m): 12:50pm On Aug 14, 2023
ogododo:
Tinubu no sabi how to run economy. Na tax and tariff be him specialty. See how Lagos wowo.

If person open mouth now, them go say Na him turn Lagos to heaven. Lagos a former capital of Nigeria? The man just use tax finish the whole state. Robbing Peter to pay Paul....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Dubetex96(m): 12:50pm On Aug 14, 2023
if Nigeria decide let it loose the hold of it nationhood
I don care the country has failed woefully

2 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Favourchris(f): 12:51pm On Aug 14, 2023
agbado economics don dey fail them... mumu fellows with their stupid supporters

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Angelfrost(m): 12:52pm On Aug 14, 2023
CBN "may" lose?!! May??! Lol...

CBN has lost and conceded control of the fvcking Naira since. embarassed

I gave Naira till December to fall to #1000 per Dollar... I think I gave these clueless people way too much credit... It will more than likely be #1500 per Dollar before Christmas. undecided

8 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by livinbygrace: 12:52pm On Aug 14, 2023
With the way things are going,This naira go enter 10,000 if care is not taken

4 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by obyno82: 12:56pm On Aug 14, 2023
EconomistXplain:
tinubu's major problem in the economy management is dangote who has refused to begin operation of his long awaited refinery project....

if he (dangote) does, then petrol import will stop... foreign exchange will b saved..huge demand for FX will decline...supply of FX will begin by major private firm....then naira and everything else will stabilize

Please are you for real? Don't you know that even Dangote himself is in dire need of FX, his refinery is not even 55% complete, forget all the paparazzi being played by Buhari and his 40 thieves.

7 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by obyno82: 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2023
leokid866:
There are pockets of those already in place. In fact several people have taken advantage already.....na you just no look

you are smoking dried cow dung.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Angelfrost(m): 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2023
SalamRushdie:

I am 100 percent sure you have never run a business

I'm 100 percent sure that sycophant has never earned a proper wage in his young and unintelligent life...!

7 Likes

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Nextt: 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2023
In the 60 years of the existence of Nigeria this will be the first time since news like this will be reported concerning the Central Bank. Wow. Nigeria is sinking fast because Tinubu is clueless about leadership. Gosh.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Abufo: 12:59pm On Aug 14, 2023
ogododo:

where is Hellinus? you no go see am here! Tinubu wants to remove a very profitable forex round tripping from a very criminally creative banking industry....it will never work! Unless you publically execute corrupt businessmen or start seizing banking licenses.........these people will never let go. Banks are holding tight to forex they did not earn .....forcing people to buy higher at a so called black market.......instantly creating avenues for arbitrage! Even a boi boi in alaba knows the game! Tinubu had better look for a street thug to appoint as CBN governor! work dey I swear!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigeria Overtakes South-Africa As Continent's Largest Economy / Cement: Why Only Dangote? / See How A Student Can Earn Money Without Affecting His Studies!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.