Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,102 members, 7,814,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board (23827 Views)

CBN May Not Clear FOREX Backlog — Report / New Note Crisis: CBN May Print Naira Abroad To Ease Cash Crunch / CBN May Devalue Naira Steeply After 2023 Elections - Bloomberg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by KingMiles007: 4:47pm On Aug 14, 2023
Trouble Looms Over 3. 2 Trillion Spent By CBN On Questionable Expenses; SEE How It Happened

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) reportedly expended a staggering N3. 2 trillion in what has been described as questionable " other operating expenses" during the tenure of former President Muhammadu Buhari, spanning eight years. A recent release of a financial statement by the apex bank, which marks a significant milestone as the first of its kind since 2015, has brought these expenditures to light. Notably, these expenses were filed under the leadership of suspended governor Godwin Emefiele.

The term " other operating expenses" carries an air of mystery, encompassing a range of potentially obscure policies and activities.
Intriguingly, the financial report discloses that the CBN allocated N254 billion towards " other operating expenses" during President Buhari s inaugural year in office. The subsequent years revealed a consistent pattern: N173. 6 billion in 2016, N155 billion in 2017, N190 billion in 2018, and N247 billion in 2019.

See the full CBN financial statement here 👉 https://apps.apple.com/us/app/scooper-news-news-around-you/id1644044109

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by erico2k2(m): 4:50pm On Aug 14, 2023
AsomughaChuks05:
This is an opportunity for Nigerian entrepreneurs to start local manufacturing of most of the things Nigeria imports. It is the only panacea to reverse high rate of joblessness in the economy. It is an apt response to the current situation of the economy. Check out Japan. They became the second largest economy in the world until recently by heavily devaluing their currency against the dollar. Tinubu is on the right path.
produce what exactly?? and with what
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by erico2k2(m): 4:52pm On Aug 14, 2023
OKORONKWOBRIGHT:
Before end of this week you are saying December
The British Pounds is now 1200.and its going up and this is to sell the pounds not to buy .We dey look.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by VEHINTOLAR: 5:16pm On Aug 14, 2023
fx45:
You didn't wait for me to finish before showing your true colour. Stop complaining. Relax we will enjoy the Tulumbu misgovernance together. It will favour you and your family.

Asiwaju lokan!
4x4 - 2031 lokan!

Gibberish ! You Igbo really need to understand that two can play that your favorite hate-game ! You can't come from one godforsaken village in alaigbo only to come and hate me in my own land and you still foolishly wonder why things aren't okay between us ! Shay you dey ment ni ?!

You guys should not worry o;e go soon go physical between us !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Gratefullheart: 5:21pm On Aug 14, 2023
SalamRushdie:

Abeg go and sit down let your senior brothers wife cook for you , I know you live with your brother so abeg rest
were re o
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by anigbajumo(m): 5:38pm On Aug 14, 2023
Timmi:

The CBN should not fund the Forex. Let the market determines the base that market will support.

There is no need to be subsidizing the rich folks sending their children to school abroad and also for their medical expenses. The bulk of the CBN subsidized fx is for these cronies.

The Punch editorial has been sponsored by these cabals that have no interest of the common man at heart.

With the way things are going now without CBN intervention Naira might crash to 1300 b4 December. You can’t float Naira why you export only oil, It practically makes no sense.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by VULCAN(m): 5:53pm On Aug 14, 2023
Whoever coined that powerful phrase

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

was referring to your type.

You just know a bit and deceive yourself that you are an expert.

Google Japan in 60s to know whether they were as import dependent economy as we are.

We import earbuds and toothpicks.

And it is cheaper to do so because the cost of manufacturing is prohibitive.

Businesses have nowhere to source credit affordably as the banks are only really interested in oil and gas and fintech investments.

Tinubu that you are praising has no business Mgmt ability.

He has used murder, coercion, diabolism and bribery to hold onto Lagos PLC.

The rise of Japan AND China can be traced to their massive focus on skill acquisition and govt support for small businesses.

Something which doesn't exist in Tinubu's lexicon.

His economic knowledge has never gone beyond Tax and Official Extortion.

That does not build an economy and never has.

AsomughaChuks05:
This is an opportunity for Nigerian entrepreneurs to start local manufacturing of most of the things Nigeria imports. It is the only panacea to reverse high rate of joblessness in the economy. It is an apt response to the current situation of the economy. Check out Japan. They became the second largest economy in the world until recently by heavily devaluing their currency against the dollar. Tinubu is on the right path.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by ebenholer2(m): 5:58pm On Aug 14, 2023
Devaluation of naira has never been a problem but for those who re-strategize to see naira falling spree are bigwigs who if tamed heads will roll and even CBN and APC leadership will be affected. And now we are waiting for final Supreme Court ruling on presidential election petition before a journey of no mercy will start by president BAT. Mark my word.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by zikter(m): 6:07pm On Aug 14, 2023
9jatriot:
Hmmm, would this not give victory to the so called cabal who need us to continue the regime of subsidy.

Is it possible they are the ones fighting back and fighting dirty? Many of the things you have suggested look like things we have been trying since God knows when. Take the issue of repairing the refineries. Remember Kachukwu (former minister of petroleum) staked his reputation then that the refinery under his watch will start working in 2 years also.

With all news coming from CBN, can we really afford to continue with trying to defend the naira? As a matter of fact, if we even get the dollar component right, the subsidy removal will resolve itself. If the dollar takes a consistent value for about 1 year, then industries can plan better but when today it is 800, tomorrow it jumps straight to 850 and now even 805 then all the permutations goes out of the window.

For me, it is the dollar part that worries me the most.

Who are this cabal that are so much above the entire government of Nigeria? This is where the real issue is. With all the criminal corruption the cabal are accused of, we haven't seen one member of the cabal arrested and prosecuted. All we hear us cabal cabal. What sort of nonsense is this?

1 Like

Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by EconomistXplain: 8:09pm On Aug 14, 2023
Crvrider:

All these by just one refinery working. So what stopped them from making 3 work?

u dont get it..... Government institutes in Africa are riddled with corruption...so it cant work...tinubu shld hav privatized the existing ones,but he doesnt want any one to have undue advantage over dangote who invested multi billion dollars in the project....

so u see dangote is of essence on reason we dont hv stable economy
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by EconomistXplain: 8:24pm On Aug 14, 2023
Munamu:

How will that help? Do you think FGN will sell crude oil to Dangote in naira? The NNPC already said Dangote oil will not have any effect on fuel price. The only hope is when there are a lot private refineries that will make prices competitive. The reasons why our refineries are down and can never function optimally is that FGN needs constant supply of dollars,and this can only be achieved by selling out crude to the world. Dangote too will have to source for dollar to buy crude from FGN, and to pay for the manpower and other services he will be importing.

bro u dnt get it, dangote will buy crude from FG in naira in the worth of the equivalent of dollars so as to reduce to he pressure on the demand for FX...

again, we all know the the major activity dt will bring down the cost of dollors and subsequently cost of things in the market is not competition, but supply of FX...so dangote which has large capacity for export will join the trade of FX trade in Naija which is very very lucrative....that way, he will supply large amount of FX nd then ease naija's FX supply chain problem
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by IamAsiri: 8:26pm On Aug 14, 2023
helinues:
May? When we are in August

undecided embarassed

Alase🙄
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Munamu: 8:42pm On Aug 14, 2023
EconomistXplain:

bro u dnt get it, dangote will buy crude from FG in naira in the worth of the equivalent of dollars so as to reduce to he pressure on the demand for FX...

again, we all know the the major activity dt will bring down the cost of dollors and subsequently cost of things in the market is not competition, but supply of FX...so dangote which has large capacity for export will join the trade of FX trade in Naija which is very very lucrative....that way, he will supply large amount of FX nd then ease naija's FX supply chain problem

Ok.why did the GMD NNPC said Dangote oil will not have effect on the price, and Dangote said so himself.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by litaninja(m): 8:47pm On Aug 14, 2023
May lose control of the naira
These jokers haven't had control of the naira in years.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by TheKingOfCrumb: 8:55pm On Aug 14, 2023
papaeme:
An ACCOUNTANT without certificate can only tax his subjects to abject poverty

Know this and Know peace
grin grin
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by EconomistXplain: 11:26pm On Aug 14, 2023
Munamu:

Ok.why did the GMD NNPC said Dangote oil will not have effect on the price, and Dangote said so himself.

if you read what i wrote, u will realize i kept talking about FX stability nd not price getting cheaper...

reason is dt Ă t the level of subsidy, fuel is selling below market price, so there is no way prices can be cheaper than that even when private firms got involved
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Abufo: 1:29am On Aug 15, 2023
SSpeter:
Can you methodically tell me how the banks are responsible for this? go school una no gree

you must be a banker.........so you do not know banks and other speculators are having a field day with the gap between the two rates of the naira/dollar! if you do not understand this then you cannot be helped!
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Metrofox(m): 1:49am On Aug 15, 2023
AsomughaChuks05:

They should start manufacturing with your mess as generator gas abi? Manufacturing without power supply.. and get mad taxes on top
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Physicist(m): 4:14am On Aug 15, 2023
President Tinubu and CBN Governor, Please Leave Diasporans' Remittances Alone!!!!

I suspect President Tinubu in connivance with the CBN Governor may want to force Diasporans’ remittances to be received in Naira. This is a wicked idea.

Buhari administration mandated remittances to be received in Naira in the early stage of its first term,, but the administration later reversed the decision. Diasporans worked hard for their money that they send to their family members or friends in Nigeria. Diasporans are not responsible for the free fall of the Naira.

Rich Nigerians and their family members, whether through legal or illegal means are the people that take the hard-earned Dollars and other foreign currencies in Nigeria to buy multiple million dollars properties abroad. They are the ones that stash the funds in multiple foreign accounts.

If you blame Nigerians that they import too much stuff, why can’t the Federal government ensures 24 hour electricity supply, good roads, and good infrastructures. This will enable Nigeria to produce some of the stuff it imports.

President Tinubu, and CBN Governor, please leave Diasporans’ remittances alone!!!!!!!.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by DeepSight(m): 6:49am On Aug 15, 2023
AsomughaChuks05:

I think you belong in a psychiatric hospital.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by SSpeter(m): 7:07am On Aug 15, 2023
Abufo:

you must be a banker.........so you do not know banks and other speculators are having a field day with the gap between the two rates of the naira/dollar! if you do not understand this then you cannot be helped!
You have not said anything, you made a claim or should I say an assumption, then I queried that you should state emphatically the premise on which your claim was made. Don't shift the goal post by adding speculators, I only want to know how the banks are responsible
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by PARADIZEPRIEST: 7:07am On Aug 15, 2023
ALL THIS EVIL REPORT TARGETED AT GIVING MORE NIGERIANS HEART ATTACK AND UNTIMELY DEMISE angry
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Anitatunde(f): 8:50am On Aug 15, 2023
Hmmm
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by 9jatriot(m): 9:24am On Aug 15, 2023
No, he is correct, the only problem you should be asking him is how.

Processing things and exporting them is a good way to redeem the currency crash.
China will give an arm and a leg to have this kind of exchange rate.

DeepSight:

I think you belong in a psychiatric hospital.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by DeepSight(m): 10:17am On Aug 15, 2023
9jatriot:
No, he is correct, the only problem you should be asking him is how.

Processing things and exporting them is a good way to redeem the currency crash.
China will give an arm and a leg to have this kind of exchange rate.

Perhaps you haven't thought this through. How do you rachet up production without power and in an economy dependent on imported refined petroleum products which you have just taken out of the reach of most people? You have tripled the cost of living, floated the naira at the same time thus guaranteeing a vicious cycle of increments and you are at the same time singing about increasing taxes across board. How does any of this help with becoming a producer and exporter of finished goods. Just yesterday the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria said many factories will have to close on account of increasing power costs as caused by VAT on diesel.

I repeat, the gentleman needs psychiatric attention, and if you were not being sarcastic, so do you.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by 9jatriot(m): 11:06am On Aug 15, 2023
Okay, may really not have thought it through, but let us do some numbers. Correct me in areas I am wrong, if you will.
I believe many Nigerian industries focus too much on the local market.

Assume (for ease of calculation) that $1 = 100 naira. I used to make a product with 200 naira ($2) and sell at the local market at for 300 naira ($3). But the cost of that product at the international market is $2, so you can't compete.

Now assume the USD appreciates against the naira and is now $1 = 200 naira. Now if the cost of producing that product stays the same, then, the cost of making that product will now be $1 instead of the $2 that it was previously. Now he will be better able to compete.

But in real life, the cost of production will also increase. So assuming it increases to 240 naira to make that product, with the exchange rate now $1 = 200, then the cost of production will now be $1.2. Which is significantly lower than the $2 it was when it was 1$ to 100 naira.

So you see my friend, that what we should be thinking of doing at this time is to increase our export potentials. The real reason why we are all complaining about the exchange rate is because we want to keep importing everything.
DeepSight:

Perhaps you haven't thought this through. How do you rachet up production without power and in an economy dependent on imported refined petroleum products which you have just taken out of the reach of most people? You have tripled the cost of living, floated the naira at the same time thus guaranteeing a vicious cycle of increments and you are at the same time singing about increasing taxes across board. How does any of this help with becoming a producer and exporter of finished goods. Just yesterday the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria said many factories will have to close on account of increasing power costs as caused by VAT on diesel.

I repeat, the gentleman needs psychiatric attention, and if you were not being sarcastic, so do you.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Abufo: 12:28pm On Aug 15, 2023
SSpeter:
You have not said anything, you made a claim or should I say an assumption, then I queried that you should state emphatically the premise on which your claim was made. Don't shift the goal post by adding speculators, I only want to know how the banks are responsible

Oga ...go and see the same claim I made on frontpage on nairaland, In the early 2000s I used to run the Dubai route from lagos for computer parts with my brothers.....we were in the air every other week..........one of our banker friends was always on the Ethipian airlines flight to dubai every weekend for over 1 year..........what was he doing? he was roud tripping Travellers cheques for his bank branch and he was not the only one from that cash rich branch! So I know what I am saying! The naira maybe weak but the naira is not as worthless as 950 naira....thaere is massive speculation going on nah................it takes 2 parties to create a market...now run along and go fill in the blanks!
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by DeepSight(m): 2:05pm On Aug 15, 2023
9jatriot:

So you see my friend, that what we should be thinking of doing at this time is to increase our export potentials.

This matter is simple, you cannot increase export without power, and certainly you cannot increase export when people have no access to petrol. Period.
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by XAUBulls: 2:11pm On Aug 15, 2023
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by SSpeter(m): 2:18pm On Aug 15, 2023
Abufo:

Oga ...go and see the same claim I made on frontpage on nairaland, In the early 2000s I used to run the Dubai route from lagos for computer parts with my brothers.....we were in the air every other week..........one of our banker friends was always on the Ethipian airlines flight to dubai every weekend for over 1 year..........what was he doing? he was roud tripping Travellers cheques for his bank branch and he was not the only one from that cash rich branch! So I know what I am saying! The naira maybe weak but the naira is not as worthless as 950 naira....thaere is massive speculation going on nah................it takes 2 parties to create a market...now run along and go fill in the blanks!
let us not dabble much on this I thought you had dealings at the head office, you see nothing happens in a bank branch. That is not where the FX players are. However do not mislead people, let the government take care of their mess, leave the banks alone
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by correctguy101(m): 2:32pm On Aug 15, 2023
With the current progression, who still thinks they have any control over their naira?

Imagine this country is a company, with the kind of people running or ruining this company, if you still don't know what to do, na u Sabi...
Re: CBN May Lose Control Of The Naira - Punch Editorial Board by Abufo: 9:44pm On Aug 15, 2023
SSpeter:
let us not dabble much on this I thought you had dealings at the head office, you see nothing happens in a bank branch. That is not where the FX players are. However do not mislead people, let the government take care of their mess, leave the banks alone

Plausible deniabilty !!! one day bank executives and their coterie of yes men will face a hurriedly assembled firing squad! mark my words! The bell tolls!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Flutterwave Shuts Down Barter / CBN Suspends Dollar To Naira Trades Till Monday / How To Earn $50 Per Week Selling Other People's Products - Online Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.