Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,953 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts (54411 Views)

DSS Complies With Tinubu’s Order, Vacates Lagos Office Shared With EFCC / Abia Pays N100K To Herdsmen For Every Cow Killed In Clash With Farmers - Ikpeazu / PSC To Policemen: Return To Duty Posts Or Face Dismissal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Antoeni(m): 11:29am On Aug 15, 2023
No fewer than 15 officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, LASTMA, have reportedly been injured in the ongoing crisis between them and some soldiers in Lagos.

Consequently, LASTMA officials withdrew from their duty posts in Lagos State, over fear of being attacked by soldiers.

From Ojota to Mile 2, there was no sight of the officials. Those on the BRT lanes were not exempted from the withdrawal either.

Vanguard gathered that trouble started last Friday, when a soldier was attacked by some LASTMA officials at Oshodi area of Lagos.

It was gathered that the soldier with an unknown identity was in a vehicle that was apprehended by LASTMA officials for violating traffic rules.

The soldier reportedly intervened by appealing to the LASTMA officials to allow the driver of the vehicle to go because of him.

But all entreaties fell on deaf ears as all passengers in the vehicle were ordered to alight, for the vehicle to be taken to LASTMA yard in Oshodi.

An altercation between the soldier and LASTMA officials degenerated into a fight, during which the latter was outnumbered and overpowered.

He was reportedly beaten and dragged to the ground by the LASTMA officials.

However, in a viral video on social media, a soldier in military camouflage was seen being flogged by some LASTMA officials.

Moments later, some soldiers stormed the area and attacked LASTMA officials at sight, an action that forced all the officials to leave the Oshodi axis.

It could not be ascertained whether the video clip was that of the latest attack that led to the ongoing crisis.

One of the commercial bus drivers plying Oshodi/NAHCO route, Mr Andrew James, who spoke with Vanguard, said: “LASTMA officials should be retrained on human relations. The attacked soldier was heard telling the officials that he had an iron in his hand. Even if he was not a soldier, no human being deserved to be treated that way.”

The reprisal attack by some soldiers continued, weekend, in Oshodi and Ojota areas of the state.

It was learned that some LASTMA officials were also attacked yesterday, by some persons in mufti, who claimed to be soldiers, in the Ojota area of the state.

At 1 p.m., most of the officials had vacated their duty posts in major areas of Lagos, as news of the attack spread.

One of the officials at 7/8 Junction, Ajao Estate, was sighted removing his uniform at 9 a.m., yesterday, to avoid being identified.

Speaking with Vanguard, he said: “I had to take this measure because if anyone is killed in the process, nothing will be done. This is not the first time soldiers will attack members of other government agencies. Even when it resulted in the death of some policemen, nothing was done about it. This case should have been resolved by now by both authorities. It should not be allowed to escalate.

“No fewer than 15 of my colleagues have been wounded since this crisis started. My colleagues have all vacated their duty posts because news went round that the soldiers were out for LASTMA officials in Lagos.”

Another official at the Ikotun area of Lagos said: “Yes, we have withdrawn from the road because nobody knows where or when they will strike. We got a text from our platform to withdraw for our own good.

“But we were advised to stand-by pending when the matter will be resolved. For me, I am not even close to my duty post because nobody knows if they are working with community people that will identify us.”

When the Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment, LASTMA, Mr. Adebayo Taofiq, was contacted, he said an official statement would be issued soon.

On his part, spokesman for 81 Division of the Nigerian Army, Lt. Col Adebisi Ayeni, said: “I am aware that a LASTMA personnel attacked a soldier in uniform on Friday. An investigation into the issue is ongoing.”

https://www.reubenabati.com.ng/news/lastma-officials-vacate-duty-posts-as-15-wounded-in-clash-with-soldiers

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Antoeni(m): 11:31am On Aug 15, 2023
I Must Commend The Nigeria Military For The Brain Reset On LASTMA, It's Was Long OverDue, I Urge The Military to Make it a Continuous Exercise

663 Likes 59 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by madridguy(m): 11:33am On Aug 15, 2023
Good news wink

340 Likes 24 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by WhisperedNoise: 11:38am On Aug 15, 2023
Crazy country.

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Ikaeniyan0: 11:44am On Aug 15, 2023
Why can't they fight the soldiers back? Is not as if the soldiers are carrying weapons while attacking them

153 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by BigBlackPreek(m): 11:47am On Aug 15, 2023
In as much as I have absolute respect for the uniform , Nigerian forces all behave lie animals, I mean the ones out there not the ones sitting in their respective offices

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by mangood74: 11:50am On Aug 15, 2023
Lastma officials are too arrogant even when you begged them. They need new orientation if not they beating will continue

253 Likes 21 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Tntsi: 1:09pm On Aug 15, 2023
When did lastma begin to fight soldier?

The spirit of " Unconstitutional is president" entered lastma officials. They felt since unconstitutional is there, they can do anyhow to soldier.

91 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 15, 2023
The reason why I dislike lastma is that if a motorist is arrested for violation of traffic they will ask for a huge amount of bribe.If the driver cannot afford it they will take the car to their office and auction it.
Why will you auction someone's car?

Tinubu as an ex governor started this revenue generating system for lastma when allocation for Lagos State was withheld by Obasanjo.

133 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Chapii: 2:06pm On Aug 15, 2023
This is the greatest News I have received since the disqualification of El-Rufai. These Lastma Guys are Criminals in Uniform. They are not there to reduce traffic congestion rather they have turned themselves to Criminals extorting unsuspecting motorists.
In November. I was driving in a road that is not even a highway, No Traffic, No sign of No Parking. Nothing. The housing agent I was carrying just asked me to park so he can call to locate someone. These guys just double crossed me. The shop owners around accosted them to stop them from arresting me but the idiot called their towing vehicle and towed the car.
I had to pay 60K + 5K POS withdrawal (Cashless period). The POS woman is already in their office at Oshodi where I went to meet the so called special squad that harrased me. They will not allow you to pay at the bank.
They now gave me this slip to go and collect my car. The place they took the car to, The tyres were been deflated. I paid extra 3000 to pump it by a vulcanizer they contracted for the job.
There are many stories of these Idiots extorting people. They are at Festac 1st gate. Road Safety Office at Ago round about - Apata. Oshodi, Local govt office Mushin etc. They have corrupted the Police. Police that use to demand for 2k max will be telling you to pay 150k or your car will be taken to Alausa. They will hide themselves inside that mini-van called korope @ locations where they can harass as much private vehicles as possible.
If any soldier can hear me. Please beat up any Lastma you see. Most of them are criminals.

323 Likes 28 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by kokoA(m): 2:18pm On Aug 15, 2023
Is like this lastma guys dey really show lagosians shege grin The day soldiers will beat VIO in Abuja ba, people wee declare free booze for their neighbours grin

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by ruggedtimi(m): 2:22pm On Aug 15, 2023
Crazy country....police dey worry, sars, lastma, road safety, task force, army, ndlea self don dey mount checkpoint, Civil defense dey also mount checkpoint. Wat a country

16 Likes

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by simple250: 2:49pm On Aug 15, 2023
Lasma weh nor thy regard their own person even when you call their superior...u die for govt job Sara chi chi your family nor go see..

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Nemesis0147(m): 2:51pm On Aug 15, 2023
kokoA:
Is like this lastma guys dey really show lagosians shege grin The day soldiers will beat VIO in Abuja ba, people wee declare free booze for their neighbours grin
I swear😂

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Blacknote: 6:11pm On Aug 15, 2023
Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by specialmati(m): 6:11pm On Aug 15, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin grin see person country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by oluseyiforjesus(m): 6:11pm On Aug 15, 2023
In a sane country....,.......
Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by SILVERLINES: 6:12pm On Aug 15, 2023
cheesy
When the drivers they extorted said my God will fight for me

This the result

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by OluwaBlessyn: 6:12pm On Aug 15, 2023
Everybody Dey use the country situation as a weapon

6 Likes

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by gaby(m): 6:12pm On Aug 15, 2023
Idiots

2 Likes

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by GboyegaD(m): 6:13pm On Aug 15, 2023
Our usual way of life. Free for all fight no dey tire us.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by whytediamond(m): 6:14pm On Aug 15, 2023
It's faaaaaarrrr better to fall into the hands of Satan than to be a victim of LASTMA.

Satan fit forgive you, but you see those bastavds, dem for shoot one for yansh.

31 Likes

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by YouAreNobody: 6:14pm On Aug 15, 2023
useless country

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Starships4u(m): 6:14pm On Aug 15, 2023
Family affairs....

Walksaway....

4 Likes

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by 90dbest: 6:14pm On Aug 15, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Why can't they fight the soldiers back? Is not as if the soldiers are carrying weapons while attacking them
it's like you don't know why Yoruba are called cowards.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by IdowhatUneed(m): 6:15pm On Aug 15, 2023

Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Yusufisraelj(m): 6:15pm On Aug 15, 2023
Wahala
Re: 15 LASTMA Officials Wounded In Clash With Soldiers: LASTMA Vacates Duty Posts by Skillsnigeria: 6:15pm On Aug 15, 2023
Hmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

President Buhari Jokingly Snatches His WAEC Certificate From SGF Mustapha / Kingsley Moghalu Quits Partisan Politics / Invictus Obi: Nigerians Drag Forbes, Atiku, Others For Promoting Fraudster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.