Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,940 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? (40816 Views)

Onyeama Knocks South African Minister Who Described Nigerians As Drug Dealers / Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? / Salary: A Nigerian Senator Vs An Average Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by ckc(m): 5:42pm On Aug 17, 2023
I ask this innocent question cos I have been wondering why a serving senator like Dave Umahi would leave his senatorial seat and "demote" himself to ordinary Minister that needs to pass through the Senate before resuming. Political gurus educate me please.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by ISLAMBAD: 5:43pm On Aug 17, 2023
A minister, especially the one with a good portfolio

Minister heads a ministry..

They steal through inflated costs of projects..

A senator is just there depending only on his income ..

As a minister, if 200Billion is allocated to your ministry annually, there is chances you will corner 50 billion then use the rest to work..

But a senator depends on their 36 million naira monthly salary and 1.2 billion naira annual constituency allowance..

Unless if you are a Senate President..

Infact all of them are criminals!! undecided

702 Likes 60 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 5:44pm On Aug 17, 2023
In my opinion I believe Senator is higher..
But as for money, I think minister is more....

Let's wait for others sha

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Desammyst(m): 5:47pm On Aug 17, 2023
A senator is higher than minister. Considering remuneration and office requirements.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Canwebefriends: 5:47pm On Aug 17, 2023
Let me wait for the elders

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Ahmed0336(m): 5:53pm On Aug 17, 2023
ISLAMBAD:

Minister heads military..

A senator is just there ..

As a minister if 200Billion is allocated to your ministry annually, there is chances you will corner 50 billion then use the rest to work..

But a senator depends on their 36 million naira monthly salary and 1.2 billion naira annual constituency allowance.. Unless if you are a Senate President..

You must be kidding right?
Fear who no fear principal officers in the senate. Fear chairman senate committee on appropriation, that one will paddle budget like say tomorrow no dey. You see chairmen of senate committees? During budget presentations, alot of things goes down grin likewise during oversight functions. Guy na senators wey no Sabi road get wahala grin

Politically, in a state like Edo for example, Oshiomole is the leader of the party in that state and not the minister from that state.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 5:53pm On Aug 17, 2023
Puss360:

For once I agree with your coconut head.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by truthhurtsnaira: 5:55pm On Aug 17, 2023
Recycled politicians… that all they are..

Thieves, criminals,

But can you blame them. The people themselves are the same thing…. And dont take anything serious…

Everything is comedy and pleasure for them….

That’s how. BBNaija show produced by South Africans can be trending in the zoo.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by DMerciful(m): 6:15pm On Aug 17, 2023
Nigerians are totally corrupt. See how corrupt you are! How can a country be so corrupt and expect development?
ISLAMBAD:

As a minister if 200Billion is allocated to your ministry annually, there is chances you will corner 50 billion then use the rest to work..

But a senator depends on their 36 million naira monthly salary and 1.2 billion naira annual constituency allowance.. Unless if you are a Senate President..

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2023
BoldBrainz:

For once I agree with your coconut head.
Aww.. you are making me shy...
No worry I owe you one big bottle of Action Bitters😜

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by fergie001: 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2023
A Minister, 200 times.....

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 6:20pm On Aug 17, 2023
It seems the OP is talking about money aspect...
If that's the case, minister...
My reason being that the jurisdiction of a senator doesn't go beyond his constituent... which itself is in a state...
So allowance, project allocation and other financial issues are limited to him and his constituent...
But you see minister, lol... The whole country ooo is under your care oo as regards to your ministry....
Fiscal budget of a ministry is far above that of a senatorial District....
If care is not taken sef, na small thing Governor take pass Minister...
Especially those ministry wey we no dey ever see progress... Eg, ministry of water resources, ministry of women affairs...

117 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:22pm On Aug 17, 2023
grin grin Even a minister of a State is bigger than a senator in terms of illegal remuneration.

75 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 6:24pm On Aug 17, 2023
Puss360:

Aww.. you are making me shy...
No worry I owe you one big bottle of Action Bitters😜

Yoruba people and herbal drinks. Una no dey carry eye see container with herbs and water..😂. Even if na flood person fetch put for transparent bottle, na so your men dey rush am. No wonder them dey give you 360 degrees kuntus stretching.

I don't drink concoctions abeg! Distilled and refined gin works better. Vodka preferably.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by yemex04(m): 6:24pm On Aug 17, 2023
ISLAMBAD:

@the bolded.
The OP asked a good & innocent question.. why not answer the question without the assumption they would steal, just purely on the job description of the two offices.

@OP... I think the executive arm of Government part of which is a federal minister in case of FG is more influential given the fact that the minister represent the President in ministry for implementation of Govt policies which will have impact all through the whole Nation... A senator as an individual may not be as influential as a Minister.. Senators are influential more only when they take a decision as "Nigerian Senate". My take

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 6:26pm On Aug 17, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Yoruba people and herbal drinks. Una no dey carry eye see container with herbs and water..😂. Even if na flood person fetch put for transparent bottle, na so your men dey rush am. No wonder them dey give you 360 degrees kuntus stretching.

I don't drink concoctions abeg! Distilled and refined gin works better. Vodka preferably.
Hey God... Vodka is too expensive sorry.. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 6:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
Puss360:

Hey God... Vodka is too expensive sorry.. grin grin

Mess up!
Make your clients dey pay well nau .
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Svoboda(m): 6:31pm On Aug 17, 2023
Puss360:

Youre right. In hierarchy, senators are higher. Basically, they oversight the ministers and they are also elected and not appointed, which is the true essence of democracy.

But a ministers budget is overwhelming.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Putinofrussia: 6:34pm On Aug 17, 2023
Minister is like the president in his ministry.
Sometimes,he doesn't touch his or her emoluments because of lobbyist's massive 'gifts' and other extras in order than they can get contracts and favours from him.
Minister has a lot of people that he controls and affects more than a senator.Think about the convoys and most especially his closeness to the federal power.
They are just almost as powerful as the governor.Governors can control senator mildly and he can cause his downfall in elections.
Not so with a minister.You remember Amaechi and Wike as a minister. grin
A senator will rather even be a junior minister than a senator.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by HenryTimes: 6:37pm On Aug 17, 2023
Politics is not about the pocket, it is about the people, it is a call to serve. The op is not asking who will be a bigger theif.

A senator can only be removed through a recall by his constituents which usually is very difficult but a Minister can be sacked without a notice.

ISLAMBAD:

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 6:44pm On Aug 17, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Mess up!
Make your clients dey pay well nau .
Lol... Change begins with you...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 6:47pm On Aug 17, 2023
Puss360:

Lol... Change begins with you...

God abeg o..😂!
I'll rather masturbate than pay for kuntus.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by wwwkaycom(m): 8:13pm On Aug 17, 2023
Minister is higher than Senator. The minister represents the President in his or her ministry so anytime a minister speaks or do anything, he does it on behalf of the president

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Chibuzoripob: 8:14pm On Aug 17, 2023
sad
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Winters23: 8:14pm On Aug 17, 2023
angry
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by AmazingELixir: 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2023
Ok guys let's analyse it this way,

The constitution does not contain any recognized pecking order in terms of hierarchy for ministers and senators but we can start by looking at it from their governmental arms.

A senator belong to the legislative arm of government and duly elected by process of election while a minister belongs to the executive arm with existence brought about by appointment subject to the approval of the upper chamber (senators).

On the above premise one can argue that a senator is higher in hierarchy since they cannot be summarily sacked the way a minister can.

Conversely, while a senator represents a portion of the the country otherwise referred to as district, the minister's reach is nationwide furthermore the minister is a microcosm of the president in that they control enormous resources which the senator can only dream of...on the basis of these a typical politician will readily jettison a senatorial seat for that of a minister just as Umahi did not because he loves the country.....but rather he simply loves his pocket more and he by virtue of this executive existence stands to command far more influence than a senator.

In conclusion what a politician aims at is influence in term of power and resources and between a minister and a senator the former stands head and shoulder above the latter. grin

25 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by MorataFC: 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2023
Senators will put heads together to decide on issues but the minister can take a unilateral decision.
In terms of decision-making concerning their ministerial duties, ministers have an edge, they can give orders and they can change existing rules or laws but a senator can not enact laws or orders but by consensus orders and laws by the house.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by illicit(m): 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2023
Senators

Ministers work for the president

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by oluwaseyi0: 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2023
I want to believe it's senator

Ministers are just errand boy of the president

In the case of death of president and vice president death the Senate president will assume command
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by iLoveYouToo(m): 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2023
Irrelevant argument by the average Nigerian man.

Next one would be, Dangote and Otedola who get money pass?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Aisha Buhari Ordered Closure Of Villa Chapel Children’s Church - Daily Post / PDP Mocks Dolapo Osinbajo For Agatu Visit & Donating Only 8 Bags Of Rice / Throwback Photo Of Rabiu Kwankwaso With His Gun During Obasanjo's Tenure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.