Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,739 members, 7,813,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? (40853 Views)

Onyeama Knocks South African Minister Who Described Nigerians As Drug Dealers / Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? / Salary: A Nigerian Senator Vs An Average Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Badguy77(m): 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2023
One is an higher thief while the other passes through people to thief.. My point they are both thieves

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Kobicove(m): 8:17pm On Aug 17, 2023
In my opinion I think a senator is higher because he was elected to the post unlike a minister who is appointed by the president and can also be removed at the whim of the president
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by sammirano: 8:17pm On Aug 17, 2023
Minister na
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by josilcool(m): 8:17pm On Aug 17, 2023
Senators were elected by the people while Ministers were appointed by the president

But when we talk of money, I think is Minister
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Way4orward: 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2023
Senator
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by SMARTMOTORS(m): 8:19pm On Aug 17, 2023
U for ask us Nigerian Governor and a commissioner who is bigger
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by RaptorX: 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2023
Ministers even the junior Ministers are more influential than Senators, and they have access to more inflated contracts than Senators.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Teymanhenry(f): 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2023
A senator steals from his states allocation while a minister steals from his ministry all around the country
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by ekins71: 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2023
Elected before appointed. The Senator is higher.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by MoneySavannah: 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2023
Let me have a rethink.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Goodlady(f): 8:23pm On Aug 17, 2023
ISLAMBAD:
A minister, especially the one with a good portfolio

Minister heads a ministry..

They steal through inflated costs of projects..

A senator is just there depending only on his income ..

As a minister if 200Billion is allocated to your ministry annually, there is chances you will corner 50 billion then use the rest to work..

But a senator depends on their 36 million naira monthly salary and 1.2 billion naira annual constituency allowance.. Unless if you are a Senate President..

Infact all of them are criminals!! undecided
In your explanation, I saw how corruption thrives. Imagine a minister cornering N50b out of a N200b budget. Must he corner anything?
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by ChristianMuslim: 8:23pm On Aug 17, 2023
E be like commissiner and house of assembly.. house of assembly pass dem, commissioner na just compensation.. likewise minister is just a compensation.. who dem dey minister.. buhbit depend on the ministry sha.. some minister na just figure head.. like WIKE now is just a figure head
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by KingAzubuike(f): 8:24pm On Aug 17, 2023
In terms of power, senators are higher. They are lawmakers now I don't even need to say more.

It terms of money, a minister is far higher.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by IamHonourable1: 8:24pm On Aug 17, 2023
Everybody is on his lane
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by maticar: 8:25pm On Aug 17, 2023
Can a senator represent the president?

But a minister can represent the president in official capacity.

All of you just capping and talking about money as a yardstick....too bad

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Nathaniel23: 8:26pm On Aug 17, 2023
In real sense senator is higher but in financial sense Minister is better because you will be in charge of huge amount of money.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Judolisco(m): 8:27pm On Aug 17, 2023
Desammyst:
A senator is higher than minister. Considering remuneration and office requirements.
how now? Do u knw a minister represents d president?
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by mrksquare: 8:27pm On Aug 17, 2023
ckc:
I ask this innocent question cos I have been wondering why a serving senator like Dave Umahi would leave his senatorial seat and "demote" himself to ordinary Minister that needs to pass through the Senate before resuming. Political gurus educate me please.

The difference is that a minister controls a budget head. Can corner contracts through fronts. He can also dish out patronage to his political underlings and can also influence Board appointment under his ministry.

You can imagine being a Minister of Education were Tetfund, UBEC fund, overseas scholarship unit are under your direct supervision. The head of these organizations always dispense largess to the honourable Minister so as to be in his or her good book.

Whereas a senator only relies on his salary and allowance and some crumbs from the ministry he is oversighting as committee chairman. Senators goes cap in hand begging for contracts through fronts from the ministry they are oversighting.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Nathaniel23: 8:28pm On Aug 17, 2023
Teymanhenry:
A senator steals from his states allocation while a minister steals from his ministry all around the country
A senator does not have access to money more than constituency allocation which isn’t that much while minister has access to huge amount of budgetary allocation which can be stolen as it’s done in Africa

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by prophetfire: 8:28pm On Aug 17, 2023
ckc:
I ask this innocent question cos I have been wondering why a serving senator like Dave Umahi would leave his senatorial seat and "demote" himself to ordinary Minister that needs to pass through the Senate before resuming. Political gurus educate me please.
A minister controls money and can dish out favours more than a senator. A senator has legislative powers over a minister and is independent but a minister has fat budget that he can steal from and you know what money means in Nigeria politics.
It's the stealing of money that they are going for.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by AwkaFinest: 8:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
Too much ignorance here. A minister is a representative of the president, meaning if you see the minister you've seen the president and whatever he does is said to be done by the president.

A minister is bigger than the senator. The only advantage A senator has is that his position is an elected position as compared to the minister that's appointed.

Furthermore, a senator is powerless without the group aka his colleagues, but a minister doesn't need a group to be effective.

As a twist, if you look at it from the point of the 3 arms of government based on the books, the legislative is the most powerful arm aka the senators or HOR members, but Nigeria does not really work like that. Note that a single senator can't be compared to a single minister at all.... Minister pass am by farrrrrŕr

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by IAMBOSS1990: 8:29pm On Aug 17, 2023
Senators are only relevant when they function as a group but a Minister enjoys real power over a sector, patronage, money, respect etc. The mere fact that senators are giving up their elected seats for mere political appointments that they can be sacked from at any time should give you a clue of what's in it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by maticar: 8:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
HenryTimes:
Politics is not about the pocket, it is a call to serve. The op is not asking who will be a bigger theif.

A senator can only be removed through a recall by his constituents which usually is very difficult but a Minister can be sacked without a notice.

A minister is bigger in terms of portfolio

This is common sense actually but It seems difficult to comprehend here.

Some are super ministers and very close to presidency, same can't be said of the senator

The minister wields more powers too, unlike the senator who has to pass through votes to get his desire
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Elsueno: 8:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
Ahmed0336:

You must be kidding right?
Fear who no fear principal officers in the senate. Fear chairman senate committee on appropriation, that one will paddle budget like say tomorrow no dey. You see chairmen if senate committee? During budget presentations, alot of things goes down grin likewise during oversight functions. Guy na senators wey no Sabi road get wahala grin

Politically, in a state like Edo for example, Oshiomole is the leader of the party in that state and not the minister from that state.

Lmao 🤣 🤣 🤣 dis bros doesn’t know what's up woh, did u know even as a director in a ministry or agency d amount of gifts both in cash & kind would be enough for u to live peacefully monthly..And if u wanna corner cash , some can corner as high as billion naira & settle those around them, so nothing hardly comes out...Now IMAGINE A WHOLE MINISTER grin grin

Baba, forget woh, I have heard things..personally I believe na God Almighty that is keeping Nigeria from collapse..
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by IAMBOSS1990: 8:32pm On Aug 17, 2023
ChristianMuslim:
E be like commissiner and house of assembly.. house of assembly pass dem, commissioner na just compensation.. likewise minister is just a compensation.. who dem dey minister.. buhbit depend on the ministry sha.. some minister na just figure head.. like WIKE now is just a figure head
Omo the FCT in terms of everything is one of the best places to work as a Minister o.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by etrange: 8:33pm On Aug 17, 2023
ISLAMBAD:
A minister, especially the one with a good portfolio

Minister heads a ministry..

They steal through inflated costs of projects..

A senator is just there depending only on his income ..

As a minister if 200Billion is allocated to your ministry annually, there is chances you will corner 50 billion then use the rest to work..

But a senator depends on their 36 million naira monthly salary and 1.2 billion naira annual constituency allowance.. Unless if you are a Senate President..

Infact all of them are criminals!! undecided

They didn't ask who earns more. They asked who's position is higher. The senate is the upper chamber and senstors are democratically elected. Ministers are members of the president's cabinet. They are people the democratically elected president has picked to help him carry out his duty. They are employees. They cannot be higher than the national upper chamber.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by sparko1(m): 8:33pm On Aug 17, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
I want to believe it's senator

Ministers are just errand boy of the president

In the case of death of president and vice president death the Senate president will assume command

This not about the senate president, this is about the senator and a minister
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by brainhgeek(m): 8:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
Ministerial work is by appointment. If they are fired today, everything goes. Senators have more higher assurance of their tenure unlike ministers who can be fired at the slightest provocation or carelessness.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by etrange: 8:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
When they ask y'all to borrow Political Science 101, you complain that the Nigerian education system is making you learn irrelevant things. Now see y'all on this thread embarrassing yourselves.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Thislifesef: 8:35pm On Aug 17, 2023
ckc:
a Nigerian senator has no single power or value except when they are in group or a committee.
Comparing a senator to a minister is like comparing a boy scout member to a military officer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch / Zahra Buhari's Cinderella-Themed Royal Ball Cake (Photos) / Emefiele's Tenure Expires, Asked To Proceed on Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.