Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:10 PM

Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? (40857 Views)

Onyeama Knocks South African Minister Who Described Nigerians As Drug Dealers / Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? / Salary: A Nigerian Senator Vs An Average Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 8:52pm On Aug 17, 2023
fergie001:
A Minister, 200 times.....

I beg to disagree.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by jubrilELsudan: 8:52pm On Aug 17, 2023
YOUR WIFE AND GIRLFRIENDS KUKUNASE

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by ckc(m): 8:53pm On Aug 17, 2023
IAMBOSS1990:
Senators are only relevant when they function as a group but a Minister is enjoys real power over a sector, patronage, money, respect etc. The mere fact that senators are giving up their elected seats for mere political appointments that they can be sacked from at any time should give you a clue of what's in it.
Exactly what prompted my question in the 1st place.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by jumper524(m): 8:54pm On Aug 17, 2023
ckc:
I ask this innocent question cos I have been wondering why a serving senator like Dave Umahi would leave his senatorial seat and "demote" himself to ordinary Minister that needs to pass through the Senate before resuming. Political gurus educate me please.
as a minister, you run the affairs on a solo mode, but as senator, there's too much eyes when see.
Even house of rep go collect share.
Also depending on ministry too.
Some are just there and not real ministry.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Belawy(m): 8:56pm On Aug 17, 2023
Igbo and alcohol na 5 and 6. Even if nah urine that is bottle inside bottle and sachet Una go still rush ham like say nah beer.
BoldBrainz:

Yoruba people and herbal drinks. Una no dey carry eye see container with herbs and water..😂. Even if na flood person fetch put for transparent bottle, na so your men dey rush am. No wonder them dey give you 360 degrees kuntus stretching.

I don't drink concoctions abeg! Distilled and refined gin works better. Vodka preferably.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 8:57pm On Aug 17, 2023
Princeton92:

very funny... tell me na i wanna know atleast lemme learn

I wanted to replace him but since you've begged me, I'll reconsider.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by noobody(m): 8:59pm On Aug 17, 2023
This goes back to secondary school subject called government.

The 3 arms of govt.

Legislature (where senators belong)

Executive (where ministers belong)

Judiciary (judges and co)

So as for who is more superior you have to go back to understanding the functions of the 3 arms of govt.

Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by fergie001: 8:59pm On Aug 17, 2023
BoldBrainz:
I beg to disagree.

Kukutente23:

How
It's just like saying VP and Gov which is higher?

A Senator is only known in averagely one-thirds of his State whilst a Minister has a bogus budget that he can flex with and fly around the whole Country if he deems fit.

There is no Senator you will give a Ministerial Position and he will reject it except he is President of the Senate.

Even Senators run to Ministers to get one or two things to help sort out.

The fear always is that he can be fired anytime by the President, but trust me what a Senator will make in 4 years, a Minister will make in less than two years.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 9:00pm On Aug 17, 2023
Belawy:
Igbo and alcohol na 5 and 6. Even if nah urine that is bottle inside bottle and sachet Una go still rush ham like say nah beer.

😂😂.

The next civil war, we'll put you Yorubas and Igbos in different Stadiums in the South East and South West. Whoever survives from the bloodbath can now join the rest of us in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Remijuice: 9:03pm On Aug 17, 2023
So who now succeeds Umahi as senator or will there be a re-run
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2023
fergie001:

A Senator is only known in averagely one-thirds of his State whilst a Minister has a bogus budget that he can flex with and fly around the whole Country if he deems fit.

There is no Senator you will give a Ministerial Position and he will reject it except he is President of the Senate.

The fear always is that he can be fired anytime by the President, but trust me what a Senator will make in 4 years, a Minister will make in less than two years.

I'm all for job security.
The processes required to recall a Nigerian Senator are bogus and can be circumvented before they ever even take shape.

A bloody Minister can be fired with a 4naira text message from the President.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Kukutente23: 9:04pm On Aug 17, 2023
fergie001:

So we all agree it's all about money and not political position.
But in terms of politics, which is higher?
I don't agree with the VP Gov comparison though. Most people will go for VP for the prestige not the money. I believe govs make more money than VP
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by SMARTMOTORS(m): 9:08pm On Aug 17, 2023
The question is silly!... How can you compare an individual appointee with democratically elected officer......have you Ever heard that a minister called a senator to panel for questioning? They don't have such powers but senators do! A senator is way higher than a minister in every aspect.
ckc:
How is what you wrote related to anything? In your mind you are smart?
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Okoronkwow(m): 9:09pm On Aug 17, 2023
Labour party won the election... He forge BVAS and result... Linus Abaa okorie Defeated him... But due to shame... Made him write result.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by jaksmillioniar: 9:09pm On Aug 17, 2023
iLoveYouToo:
Irrelevant argument by the average Nigerian man.

Next one would be, Dangote and Otedola who get money pass?
are u an animal. Comment with sence
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by iLoveYouToo(m): 9:10pm On Aug 17, 2023
jaksmillioniar:
are u an animal. Comment with sence

Why are you hurt? Read my signature on repeat
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by jaksmillioniar: 9:10pm On Aug 17, 2023
iLoveYouToo:

Why are you hurt? Read my signature on repeat
ignore
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by seniorgozman(m): 9:11pm On Aug 17, 2023
ckc:
I ask this innocent question cos I have been wondering why a serving senator like Dave Umahi would leave his senatorial seat and "demote" himself to ordinary Minister that needs to pass through the Senate before resuming. Political gurus educate me please.
You should have asked people in Ebonyi State why Dave did what he did.
The fact is that he lost his election into senate, he came a distant 3rd. Now Labour Party is very certain to win in court so he grabbed the minister
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Thislifesef: 9:11pm On Aug 17, 2023
tunize:

Ministers are like managers, Senators are like shareholders of a company.
Ministers are answerable directly to president and also to the higher chamber if them nor perform well.
How possible is it for you to be higher than someone you are answerable to if and when the need arises.
Abi you nor know say senator fit sack minister if elected senate president.
Abi you nor still know say senator fit reject appointment of minister?
Senate president can be made a president when a sitting president dies?
A minister that can be fired at anytime with the blink of an eye, but for a senator you can’t wake up and send them home.
Appointed and elected difference plenty ooh
Minister na upgraded PA level with style, class and many money to steal.
I rest my case here.
But for money level “Minister” they control so many things sometimes self those senators need to Lobi for contract from those ministries.
grin grin grin grin
The op said in "Nigeria". My brother, in Nigeria a senator to a minister is just like a boy scout to a military officer.

"in Nigeria, the executive is the ONLY powerful arm of government" and the minister is part of the executive arm.
It's just like comparing a state house of essembly member to a commissioner grin grin

The Nigerian senator has no power, influence except when they are in group or committee.

A Nigerian minister can do and undo, the whole ministry is under his personal watch and baba controls annual budgetary allocations and everything that comes with it.

You can't compare a senator to a junior minister and it's not possible for a minister to leave his ministerial position for the senate but a senator can leave his seat to be a junior minister.

Hor is worse, a house of reo member can relinquish his position to be a commissioner in his state.

*the only difference between the Senate president and floor member is his hierarchy in govt.
Some floor member senators are more Influential than the Senate president.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by warlordd(m): 9:11pm On Aug 17, 2023
I guess u are asking who is higher thief because both of them are criminals.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by eneyoduke(m): 9:11pm On Aug 17, 2023
ISLAMBAD:
A minister, especially the one with a good portfolio Just a good analysis

Minister heads a ministry..

They steal through inflated costs of projects..

A senator is just there depending only on his income ..

As a minister, if 200Billion is allocated to your ministry annually, there is chances you will corner 50 billion then use the rest to work..

But a senator depends on their 36 million naira monthly salary and 1.2 billion naira annual constituency allowance..

Unless if you are a Senate President..

Infact all of them are criminals!! undecided
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by garfield1: 9:14pm On Aug 17, 2023
omamokta:
Dave is definitely going to loose at the tribunal and he doesn’t want to be outside power, that’s the honest truth

He would trash Linus okorie
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by thesolutions(m): 9:16pm On Aug 17, 2023
ckc:
The senators earn more than minister. But senators hardly interface with people so their popularity is limited. For a career politician, a minister position exposes you to both service to the people and continual interaction with the public. This increases one's chance of being relevant in national politics.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by garfield1: 9:16pm On Aug 17, 2023
fergie001:
A Minister, 200 times.....

You sabi.even akpabio will never make what umahi will make in 4 years

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by garfield1: 9:18pm On Aug 17, 2023
BoldBrainz:

I'm all for job security.
The processes required to recall a Nigerian Senator are bogus and can be circumvented before they ever even take shape.

A bloody Minister can be fired with a 4naira text message from the President.

In Nigeria politics,it's all about the money.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by garfield1: 9:20pm On Aug 17, 2023
seniorgozman:

You should have asked people in Ebonyi State why Dave did what he did.
The fact is that he lost his election into senate, he came a distant 3rd. Now Labour Party is very certain to win in court so he grabbed the minister

You lie,he won well.in works,his yearly budget is 500 bil.in senate,1 bil a year
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Allisgud: 9:22pm On Aug 17, 2023
For power and money I think is a minister,an individual senator does not have mouth unless they are majority
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by donproject2(m): 9:23pm On Aug 17, 2023
ckc:

That you were screened by an HR during job interview doesn't mean the HR will be above you when you resume the office.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by NOU169705536: 9:25pm On Aug 17, 2023
As Minister you can employ alot people from your state into federal agencies under your ministry during employment or placement. But you also be sacked by the president. Rationally I go for Minister!!!
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by ORIAYO70(m): 9:27pm On Aug 17, 2023
Puss360:
In my opinion I believe Senator is higher..
But as for money, I think minister is more....

Let's wait for others sha

1. Minister big pass senator.

2. Senator is answerable to senate president

3. Minister is answerable to President.

4. Senator is been elected

5. Minister is been nominated directly.

6. Senator does not have independent jurisdiction power.

7. But minister does.

E plenty....

Constitutionally Minister is more more bigger than senator.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Thislifesef: 9:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
Ahmed0336:

You must be kidding right?
Fear who no fear principal officers in the senate. Fear chairman senate committee on appropriation, that one will paddle budget like say tomorrow no dey. You see chairmen of senate committees? During budget presentations, alot of things goes down grin likewise during oversight functions. Guy na senators wey no Sabi road get wahala grin

Politically, in a state like Edo for example, Oshiomole is the leader of the party in that state and not the minister from that state.
grin grin
Many Nigerians only know the senators that represents their constituencies but do not know the other two.

The only influence a senator is supposed to have over the three to eight local govts he represents is been enjoyed by the state governors of their states.

A senator has no single influence except when they are in group as in a sitting.
You want to compare a senator to a minister that controls an annual budject for his ministry

The minister of water resources determines who and who handles contracts pertaining to his ministry in the whole country o, na dat kind person you dey use senator compare.
Whatever money a senator makes in 4 year tenure a corrupt minister can make it just within a year.

A house of rep member can even leave his position to be a commissioner in his state.
And oshiomhole is the leader of APC in edo because he was a former gov and national chairman and his personal attributes not because he's a senator.
He was already the state leader when he was not in govt at all.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by sonofthunder: 9:30pm On Aug 17, 2023
ckc:

We should stop thinking of who is higher and start holding all of them accountable when they err.

From councillor to LGA to Governor to State HOR Member.

It's unfortunate how we most times hide behind the cowardice of comparing faliures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Throwback Photo Of President Buhari Eating As A Soldier / Onyeama Knocks South African Minister Who Described Nigerians As Drug Dealers / Lai Mohammed: My Grandson Asked Why They Call Me 'Liar' Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.