Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:04 PM

Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? (40859 Views)

Onyeama Knocks South African Minister Who Described Nigerians As Drug Dealers / Senator Vs Governor: Who Has More Powers? / Salary: A Nigerian Senator Vs An Average Nigerian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by phemray(m): 11:26pm On Aug 17, 2023
ISLAMBAD:
A minister, especially the one with a good portfolio

Minister heads a ministry..

They steal through inflated costs of projects..

A senator is just there depending only on his income ..

As a minister, if 200Billion is allocated to your ministry annually, there is chances you will corner 50 billion then use the rest to work..

But a senator depends on their 36 million naira monthly salary and 1.2 billion naira annual constituency allowance..

Unless if you are a Senate President..

Infact all of them are criminals!! undecided

Our mindset is all about money and fraud, naija youth sha??

Anyway, for me a minister is bigger and better cos it covers 36 states while senator is just representing a constituency in a state.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by micday81(m): 11:36pm On Aug 17, 2023
Minister is higher than Senator. A minister has influence across the country but a senator gets his influence just from his constituency /Senatorial District.

A senator's constituents demand more from him because he was directly elected by them. Hence, a senator is always held responsible by his people. This is not applicable to a minister, infact most ministers are not too much electorally popular in their constituency because most minister are technocrats and may not necessarily be active politically.

I can strongly say that a minister is more powerful than a Senator aside the senate President and the deputy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by basedonbelieff(m): 11:40pm On Aug 17, 2023
You can’t even compare when it comes to money. Even minister of the worst ministry makes much more money than Senator. Minister for 18months will make more money than Senator for 4years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Thislifesef: 11:42pm On Aug 17, 2023
tunize:

Per head we know a single senator has less power over a single minister, but then senators are like “pack of wolfs” collectively comparing group of senators to group of ministers its the Senator. Same senators can also play a role in the impeachment of a sitting president of Nigeria.
Same budgetary allocation also passes through the Senate abi you forget.
A single senator can’t dismiss or sack a minister but in groups a minister can be summoned and be sacked, while a single or group of ministers can’t summon or sack a senator
grin grin
All what you wrote are mere imaginations and future Impossible tense in Nigeria.
The Senate as a whole cannot sack a minister,i mean the whole house of senate cannot sack a minister.

In Nigeria, the power to sack a minister lies fully with the executive, in naija, only the president can sack a minister, you can take that to the bank.

About a budget passing through the Senate, a senator can only pad the budgets which many of them cannot even do.
But a minister oversees the whole budgetary allocation for his ministry.
Take this same umahi for example, the budget for the ministry of works for one year can be up to 800 billion naira in the next annual budget and umahi will be in charge of how this whole money will be spent but when he was a senator he only works with about one billion constituency allowance in a year.

And there's nothing like a group of ministers and a group of senators.
Stop deceiving yourself that the Senate can sack a minister, in Nigeria the power to sack a minister belongs to the executive alone.

The money a senator makes in four years can be made by a minister within a year without any trace.

Comparing a Nigerian senator to a minister is like comparing a dove to an eagle, dem no be mate at all at allllllll.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Phred1717: 11:47pm On Aug 17, 2023
It's only the Senate President that is higher than the Minister. Ministers are equivalent to Secretary of state(US) where we practice almost same system of government
Puss360:
In my opinion I believe Senator is higher..
But as for money, I think minister is more....

Let's wait for others sha
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by basedonbelieff(m): 11:57pm On Aug 17, 2023
Access to President: Through out a Senators tenure he may never have the chance to meet the president one on one. Ministers interact with the President on a daily basis
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Thislifesef: 12:07am On Aug 18, 2023
franchasofficia:
Kids talking.

How can any sensible human being compare an elected office to a mere political appointment that you can be sacked at any time without explanation?

A minister is nothing, the only thing that make Nigerian political criminals prefer being a minister to being a senator is because of the corruption and looting they plan to engage in as Minister since they will be controlling ministry's budget.

An elected office is far bigger than a mere appointment which a Minister is.
you are the kid here.

Can you compare a house of assembly member to a commissioner, would you pick a house of assembly member over a commissioner just with the excuse that he was elected.

Being nominated directly for an appointment and been elected which do you think is more prestigious?

How would an acclaimed sensible man compare a senator representing just few local govts of his state to a whole minister of the federation, una normal sef.

From influence to power to money, a minister dwarfs a senator in all ramifications.

Baba say "mere appointment" have you forgotten that positions like, AGF, CBN gov, SGF are also mere appointments.

If we should even talk about money, what a senator makes in four years in govt can easily be made by a minister within just a year.

Dem no be mate abeg.
A senator to a minister is just like a dove to an eagle.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by ab1x: 12:13am On Aug 18, 2023
Senator
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by haybhi1(m): 12:14am On Aug 18, 2023
Puss360:

Hey God... Vodka is too expensive sorry.. grin grin
Is it that you lack attention so much that you can take such insult from that dolt, BoldBrainz? The fact he found a place in an innocent convo to strew his vile should have told you he's a nitwit and deserves no attention. Yet it remained a fun for you. Make una dey get values na, Yorubas I know epitomize value and self-respect, and have no room for rubb.ish.

Only God knows the kinds of grooming our Yoruba girls are getting these days. Won't be surprised if it's one impersonator from the fooll's side sha
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 12:32am On Aug 18, 2023
haybhi1:

Is it that you lack attention so much that you can take such insult from that dolt, BoldBrainz? The fact he found a place in an innocent convo to strew his vile should have told you he's a nitwit and deserves no attention. Yet it remained a fun for you. Make una dey get values na, Yorubas I know epitomize value and self-respect, and have no room for rubb.ish.

Only God knows the kinds of grooming our Yoruba girls are getting these days. Won't be surprised if it's one impersonator from the fooll's side sha
So what's your problem now??
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 12:33am On Aug 18, 2023
Puss360:

So what's your problem now??

Your kinsman just called me a dolt. A low blow, that was.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 12:34am On Aug 18, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Your kinsman just called me a dolt. A low blow, that was.
Lol... I don't even understand him sef...
Effects of free data...
They'll misbehave online...
And a matured adult for dat matter o...
Don't mind him
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 12:39am On Aug 18, 2023
Puss360:

Lol... I don't even understand him sef...
Effects of free data...
They'll misbehave online...
And a matured adult for dat matter o...
Don't mind him

See your life?
Just small "hello" and your hoard of testosterone agents are lining up to have me stripped for parts.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 12:43am On Aug 18, 2023
BoldBrainz:

See your life?
Just small "hello" and your hoard of testosterone agents are lining up to have me stripped for parts.
Testosterone ke? grin grin...
Oya go and sleep.. see time... Be an gentle man and go sleep.. grin

Sorry for the stripping aparts...

grin grin
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 12:45am On Aug 18, 2023
Puss360:

Testosterone ke? grin grin...
Oya go and sleep.. see time... Be an gentle man and go sleep.. grin

Sorry for the stripping aparts...

grin grin

Sleep's not for me.
Like you, I'm on night duty..😂.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 12:46am On Aug 18, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Sleep's not for me.
Like you, I'm on night duty..😂.
Gbam...
Oya hustle...
Heaven is the goal... But we must do what?? cheesy grin grin
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 12:48am On Aug 18, 2023
Puss360:

Gbam...
Oya hustle...
Heaven is the goal... But we must do what?? cheesy grin grin

Don't start!
Before you make me scream and wake the neighbours..😂. Stop blaspheming, you sinner!
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Puss360(f): 12:49am On Aug 18, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Don't start!
Before you make me scream and wake the neighbours..😂. Stop blaspheming, you sinner!

Okay.. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Nobody: 1:27am On Aug 18, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Yoruba people and herbal drinks. Una no dey carry eye see container with herbs and water..😂. Even if na flood person fetch put for transparent bottle, na so your men dey rush am. No wonder them dey give you 360 degrees kuntus stretching.

I don't drink concoctions abeg! Distilled and refined gin works better. Vodka preferably.

Everything must be tribal for people like you with a bigoted and myopic mind. How do you live with yourself ? From one person you are chatting with to "Yoruba people".

Wtf!
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Nobody: 1:30am On Aug 18, 2023
BoboNogoDie:

We can know how stupid yhu are by your moniker.
Or deh way ray

Why are you mad at the guy? His moniker is the capital of Pakistan!

Do you have anything against Pakistan?
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by bdon123(m): 1:39am On Aug 18, 2023
Ahmed0336:

You must be kidding right?
Fear who no fear principal officers in the senate. Fear chairman senate committee on appropriation, that one will paddle budget like say tomorrow no dey. You see chairmen of senate committees? During budget presentations, alot of things goes down grin likewise during oversight functions. Guy na senators wey no Sabi road get wahala grin

Politically, in a state like Edo for example, Oshiomole is the leader of the party in that state and not the minister from that state.
Minister can be sacked,senate cant be.minister has more prestige...than a senator .
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by rickleye: 2:07am On Aug 18, 2023
Senator - one is elected the other appointed.
Senator can serve as stipulated by law .
Minister can be fired or replaced at will.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by rickleye: 2:09am On Aug 18, 2023
basedonbelieff:
Access to President: Through out a Senators tenure he may never have the chance to meet the president one on one. Ministers interact with the President on a daily basis

Senators can summon the President to appear before the chambers . Who does the president go through to pass legislature . The senate !! So who cares about interaction - it’s about power and it lies with senate .
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by BoldBrainz(m): 2:11am On Aug 18, 2023
Skyview01:

Everything must be tribal for people like you with a bigoted and myopic mind. How do you live with yourself ? From one person you are chatting with to "Yoruba people".

Wtf!

Dahfvck are you going on about?!
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by sageb: 3:38am On Aug 18, 2023
mrksquare:

The difference is that a minister controls a budget head. Can corner contracts through fronts. He can also dish out patronage to his political underlings and can also influence Board appointment under his ministry.

You can imagine being a Minister of Education were Tetfund, UBEC fund, overseas scholarship unit are under your direct supervision. The head of these organizations always dispense largess to the honourable Minister so as to be in his or her good book.

Whereas a senator only relies on his salary and allowance and some crumbs from the ministry he is oversighting as committee chairman. Senators goes cap in hand begging for contracts through fronts from the ministry they are oversighting.

So true

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by wildernessVoice: 3:45am On Aug 18, 2023
Minister represent the entire nation in a particular sector while Senator represent one third of a state.
Moreso, minister a major share of the national. In a sane country, senators has no budget at all except allowance.
But in Nigeria; senators demand cornered constituency projects, demand share of budget from minister in the course of oversight functions, allocate burgous allowance for themselves.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by nick50(m): 5:05am On Aug 18, 2023
op u already answered ur question the very moment u mentioned dave umahi an igbo man doesn't go where is not profitable to him that's why other tribes always say that igbo people too like money
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by jahsharon: 5:46am On Aug 18, 2023
ckc:
I ask this innocent question cos I have been wondering why a serving senator like Dave Umahi would leave his senatorial seat and "demote" himself to ordinary Minister that needs to pass through the Senate before resuming. Political gurus educate me please.

Minister for Works oooo, not Minister for Special Duties. He can use his position to fix all South East bad roads. Use your head nah. Are you cursed with negativity ni?
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Abiodunstephen(m): 6:20am On Aug 18, 2023
First of all David umahi is a politician that striving to be president in future, he believe he needed to show case his talent to entire Nigeria and also let nation see his magic touch.
If he has to do this he must gain his popularity from a position that has to involve the nation not just ordinary district.
You should know Akpabio forsake his minority leader in order to get to where he is now.
When a politician is aspiring for something big you will see them taking a risk for the future.
If not for the Tinubu influence Amechi due to the popularity he gain when he was a minister would have been on the sit of president now.

So to umahi getting Ministerial appointment is a promotion for his presidential ambition not a demotion.

ISLAMBAD:
A minister, especially the one with a good portfolio

Minister heads a ministry..

They steal through inflated costs of projects..

A senator is just there depending only on his income ..

As a minister, if 200Billion is allocated to your ministry annually, there is chances you will corner 50 billion then use the rest to work..

But a senator depends on their 36 million naira monthly salary and 1.2 billion naira annual constituency allowance..

Unless if you are a Senate President..

Infact all of them are criminals!! undecided
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by franchasofficia: 6:40am On Aug 18, 2023
Thislifesef:
you are the kid here.

Can you compare a house of assembly member to a commissioner, would you pick a house of assembly member over a commissioner just with the excuse that he was elected.

Being nominated directly for an appointment and been elected which do you think is more prestigious?

How would an acclaimed sensible man compare a senator representing just few local govts of his state to a whole minister of the federation, una normal sef.

From influence to power to money, a minister dwarfs a senator in all ramifications.

Baba say "mere appointment" have you forgotten that positions like, AGF, CBN gov, SGF are also mere appointments.

If we should even talk about money, what a senator makes in four years in govt can easily be made by a minister within just a year.

Dem no be mate abeg.
A senator to a minister is just like a dove to an eagle.
In the hierarchy of political offices in Nigeria are:

Federal Level
President
Senators
Reps

State Level
Governor
HoAs

LGA Level
Chairman
Councilors

SGF, CoS, Ministers, SAs, PAs, Commissioners, etc are mere appointees who are at the mercy of their principals that appointed them.

This is just like comparing a UK Member of Parliament with those Secretaries that function like Ministers in Nigeria, they are not comparable.

The only reason Ministers and other appointees of the President of Nigeria wield so much power and influence in Nigeria is because Nigeria is a corrupt country that thrive on corruption and rotten system.

Ordinarily, a Minister is not supposed to talk where a Senator is talking because they are not mates. A Minister cannot be appointed if Senators say no to his or her appointment, that alone should tell you who has more power.

Senators can remove the person that appointed the Minister aka President through impeachment, but President cannot remove a Senator legally unless through corruption in Nigeria through election rigging and political witch hunting.

You guys don't know the power of a Senator. Senators are the representatives and mouthpiece of the citizens who employed the President through their votes and they can remove the President through impeachment. Senators are very powerful in every nation, its just that Nigeria is so corrupt that makes Senators to look ordinary to you guys.

Just imagine the comparison, a Senator with an Ordinary appointed Minister who can be fired by the President's kitchen cabinet the next day he was appointed without any reason.

A House of Assembly member is also bigger politically than a mere Commissioner.

My uncle was once a House of Assembly member of my state and later became The Speaker and when he couldn't win reelection, the Governor whom he was loyal to when he was speaker of house settled him with a Commissioner appointment and believe me that was the end of his political career.

Anywhere in the world, you do not compare an elected office holder with an appointed official who can be fired at any time.

Senators are very powerful, but in Nigeria, due to corruption, a Minister have more opportunities to loot more money than a Senator but politically, a Senator is bigger than an ordinary Minister.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by deltateam: 6:41am On Aug 18, 2023
ckc:
I ask this innocent question cos I have been wondering why a serving senator like Dave Umahi would leave his senatorial seat and "demote" himself to ordinary Minister that needs to pass through the Senate before resuming. Political gurus educate me please.

Senator without doubt. Senator stood election while minister was appointed.
Re: Nigerian Senator Vs Minister: Who Is Higher? by Father4all: 7:06am On Aug 18, 2023
Senators are far higher. They too received money for projects. Like Senator heading finance ministries

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Soldiers Withdrawn From Amaechi's Governor's Lodge / Cute Photo Of Osinbajo In Bayelsa State / Isiaka Adeleke's Death: His Doctor Alfred Aderibigbe Pictured

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.