Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,265 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers (31304 Views)

How To Brood Poultry Chicks In Nigeria / Gas Brooder Can Brood 1000 Birds For Sale 07062828943 / Dont Be Fooled, Here Is A Practical Cost Analysis Of Raising 100 Layer Birds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by SoftP(m): 8:47pm On Aug 30, 2023
W
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by McBluemoon(m): 8:48pm On Aug 30, 2023
Nice thread
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by CARLOSZ: 8:49pm On Aug 30, 2023
More
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by aysnoopy(m): 8:54pm On Aug 30, 2023
The kerosene lantern you're using is one of the major reasons for their CRD
And please remove that tray, they are now older than that. Their food should be clean, so use the aluminium feeder

8 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 8:56pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hallams:
Ultima is a nice brand. I haven't tried Ross 308 before but I hope to try my hands on them soon. Keep updating us sha. God bless you!

Ultima is not a fine feed for day old brooding. Chikun works better. Has more nutrients for muscle mass and bone activity. Ultima serves on the same level as Vital feed.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Wainey: 8:56pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
Day 13
Do you know what happens when you starve your broilers of food for too long ?

They begin to eat themselves... Literally.

They pick a target chick and pick its skin till breaks and blood starts oozing out, then they guzzle it down like vampires grin

We had an incident today so we had to quickly apply Gv on the affected bird.

Later, we found out that they picked on the same bird again and feasted on it.

we had to apply Gv on quite a number of them so they wouldn't be able to identify that particular one.

Broilers !!! grin

We gave them food and mixed multi vitamins, and super tylosin in their water
Weldon, hope u will be updating this thread?

2 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by NSK4U(m): 8:57pm On Aug 30, 2023
Great one thanks
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Emmanuel602(m): 8:57pm On Aug 30, 2023
Quite informative, nice one.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by ellizy(m): 8:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
After over 10 years of abandoning this business, my mum has decided to pick it up again (yes, she is the one brooding not me).

Ive decided to post this here for possible future reference. I didn't pay much attention when i was younger

On this thread, i will share what is cost to start this business from scratch, and i will also share daily updates to enable anyone to use this as a practical guide to start their own business.

Follow this thread if you're interested
How many weeks does it take them to maturity, I mean a sellable and consumable size?

2 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by bluefilm: 8:59pm On Aug 30, 2023
Man's inhumanity to powerless and defenseless animals.

Imagine being raised so that you will be eaten at the end of it all?

11 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by 2Radii: 9:01pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
Day 13
Do you know what happens when you starve your broilers of food for too long ?

They begin to eat themselves... Literally.

They pick a target chick and pick its skin till breaks and blood starts oozing out, then they guzzle it down like vampires grin

We had an incident today so we had to quickly apply Gv on the affected bird.

Later, we found out that they picked on the same bird again and feasted on it.

we had to apply Gv on quite a number of them so they wouldn't be able to identify that particular one.

Broilers !!! grin

We gave them food and mixed multi vitamins, and super tylosin in their water
grin grin grin grin Vawulence
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by smokinloud(m): 9:01pm On Aug 30, 2023
God bless you sir!.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by cris83: 9:02pm On Aug 30, 2023
bluefilm:
Man's inhumanity to powerless and defenseless animals.

Imagine being raised so that you will be eaten at the end of it all?

The meat and fish that YOU yourself eat on a daily basis, wasn't the cow and fish also rared from when they were small?? Inhumanity my foot!!!

13 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by zhirkovrado(m): 9:03pm On Aug 30, 2023
Yeah it's quite nice but I think you really need to consider feeding costs before deciding on the number of chicks you need to brood so as avoid stories that touches the heart. From what I could observe from the above data, the competition amongst them is really high, within a while now they'll start having insufficient feed supply and that will really affect their growth and health. I'm brooding mine too but the quantity is just like half of what you stocked, but they are doing very fine, no death recorded so far and they are 12 days old.

6 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by emekajacobogbon(m): 9:03pm On Aug 30, 2023
Same level with my farm

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by viyon02: 9:08pm On Aug 30, 2023
Good job bro. I love hard working dudes like you.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Mccullum: 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2023
Fantastic... may God bless your business.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Kingsnairaland(m): 9:11pm On Aug 30, 2023
So they don't like cold environments

I thought they need ventilation to survive.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Kingsnairaland(m): 9:11pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
After over 10 years of abandoning this business, my mum has decided to pick it up again (yes, she is the one brooding not me).

Ive decided to post this here for possible future reference. I didn't pay much attention when i was younger

On this thread, i will share what is cost to start this business from scratch, and i will also share daily updates to enable anyone to use this as a practical guide to start their own business.

Follow this thread if you're interested
So they don't like cold environments

I thought they need ventilation to survive
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 9:12pm On Aug 30, 2023
- Putting feed on the bare litter material for day old chics to "snack" on was and is a poultry practice that defies logic. If those birds were not properly vaccinated from the hatchery, you'd have had more deaths for that very mistake.

- Tray feeders are no longer advisable for brooding. The idea of chics stooling in their feed and pecking in it, is partly responsible for early coccidiosis. There are modified chic feeders that are price friendly.

- Even if electricity cannot be afforded, kerosene lamps are bad for chics. They're very contributory to Chronic respiratory disease. Small solar lights are serving that purpose now.

- You're wasting medications with the amount of water you're using for your brooding. One drinker of water is enough to meet any round of watering for all 200 chics. A tablespoon of medicine in a drinker, stirred, then shared into other drinkers can serve the purpose, since the water gets replaced three times daily.

- Your vaccination process is a bit worrisome, especially looking at that black container you're mixing it in, which is the same you use to wash drinkers. You're setting yourself up for fowl typhoid, and believe me, that's one illness that 80percent of inorganic veterinary medicines cannot treat.

- Agreeably, heat is important to regulate their temperature, but be certain to properly ventilate that brooding pen whenever the sun starts to come up. Circulation of that "smokey" heat not only causes CRD, but hampers proper growth.

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by MedicTechie01(m): 9:12pm On Aug 30, 2023
Wonderful
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Kingsnairaland(m): 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2023
aysnoopy:
The kerosene lantern you're using is one of the major reasons for their CRD
And please remove that tray, they are now older than that. Their food should be clean, so use the aluminium feeder
what is the substitute for kerosene lamp.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by zhirkovrado(m): 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2023
My chicks are from Olam(Chikum) and their feeds also Chikum. Still less than two weeks old but bigger than your above chicks. I'm not capping, just an update I'm not trying to advertise any company but try Olam(Chikum) products next time and the results will speak for you. Also feeds are really costly now so try going for the quantity of chicks you can afford to feed at a time to avoid stories that touches the heart.

8 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by FRANKOSKI(m): 9:14pm On Aug 30, 2023
Nnaa u de try ooo
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by MrsTblooms: 9:14pm On Aug 30, 2023
So educative!!!! Please, do well to continue updating us. God bless you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by adeoba2008(m): 9:18pm On Aug 30, 2023
Nice but I have some observations bed on your pictures. Stop using lantern for them and make sure your charcoal does not have dusts. By now once they have wings they need fresh air. You over-covered their house

I have 100 that am breeding presently including 5 Turkey

2 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by bluefilm: 9:18pm On Aug 30, 2023
cris83:
The meat and fish that YOU yourself eat on a daily basis, wasn't the cow and fish also rared from when they were small?? Inhumanity my foot!!!

You can only try to deny it as much as you might wish to.

But deep down in your soul, you know that I am right.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 9:18pm On Aug 30, 2023
zhirkovrado:
My chicks are from Olam(Chikum) and their feeds also Chikum. Still less than two weeks old but bigger than your above chicks. I'm not capping, just an update I'm not trying to advertise any company but try Olam(Chikum) products next time and the results will speak for you. Also feeds are really costly now so try going for the quantity of chicks you can afford to feed at a time to avoid stories that touches the heart.

Agrited chics are way better than Olam. If you're having good sizes, it's all down to your feeding commitment and level of attention. Chikun makes good feed, but they don't hatch quality chics.

3 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by adeoba2008(m): 9:18pm On Aug 30, 2023
You can use Rechargable lamps instead of Lantern.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:19pm On Aug 30, 2023
Wainey:
Weldon, hope u will be updating this thread?
Yes i would

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:19pm On Aug 30, 2023
ellizy:

How many weeks does it take them to maturity, I mean a sellable and consumable size?
3-4 months depending on how big you want them to be
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by adeoba2008(m): 9:21pm On Aug 30, 2023
Kingsnairaland:
what is the substitute for kerosene lamp.
Rechargeable lamps.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obiano Flags-off Construction Of N15bn Poultry Farm(Photos) / Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.