Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,663 members, 7,816,704 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers (31309 Views)

How To Brood Poultry Chicks In Nigeria / Gas Brooder Can Brood 1000 Birds For Sale 07062828943 / Dont Be Fooled, Here Is A Practical Cost Analysis Of Raising 100 Layer Birds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:21pm On Aug 30, 2023
2Radii:
grin grin grin grin Vawulence
Broilers are something else grin
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by adeoba2008(m): 9:22pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

3-4 months depending on how big you want them to be
6weeks is okay but food and water must be with them always

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:24pm On Aug 30, 2023
Kingsnairaland:
So they don't like cold environments

I thought they need ventilation to survive
They are warm blooded so its better to keep them warm.

They do need ventilation but that would be when they grow older.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:26pm On Aug 30, 2023
adeoba2008:

6weeks is okay but food and water must be with them always
Consumable size in six weeks ? That is not proper. Brooding alone is 3-4 weeks
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Xkale1996(m): 9:28pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
Day 6
We changed the newspapers on the floor today.

Gave them food and water. (Same mixture of drugs)
why do use newspaper to cover the floor
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by zhirkovrado(m): 9:29pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Agrited chics are way better than Olam. If you're having good sizes, it's all down to your feeding commitment and level of attention. Chikun makes good feed, but they don't hatch quality chics.
Man the agrited we once knew is not what we have now. My aunt brood them the last time and we saw too many variable growths, it may look normal but it's not so. Some where sold but there are still some we are feeding uptill date cos they were like having stunted growth. We went out to observe and realized it was same with other farmers of the product. We realized not all the hybrids are the same. Besides I knew Olam right from the time I graduated from secondary school. I was even a sales boy to a vet dealing strictly with Olam products and the customers testimonies were highly positive. That's why I opted for them. Mind you it's my first time of doing it practically ever since then. Meanwhile my aunt is a pro in the system.

2 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Shampoo77: 9:30pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

You rear broilers for 3-4 months and expected to make profits? You can only raised broilers for 3-4 months and make profits only December period. It is advisable you se broilers between 8-10 weeks.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by ojun50(m): 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2023
Good job, keep it up and greet mumC she is doing well, but take note of the observation and corrections too.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2023
zhirkovrado:
Yeah it's quite nice but I think you really need to consider feeding costs before deciding on the number of chicks you need to brood so as avoid stories that touches the heart. From what I could observe from the above data, the competition amongst them is really high, within a while now they'll start having insufficient feed supply and that will really affect their growth and health. I'm brooding mine too but the quantity is just like half of what you stocked, but they are doing very fine, no death recorded so far and they are 12 days old.
That wouldn't be an ussue wink
We are brooding for a month
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

Properly raised broilers should be ready for sale from exactly 8 weeks, that's about 2 months. If over 60percent of your 200 broilers do not weigh 2.8kg upwards at week 8, then your practices were wrong. No commercial poultry farmer keeps broilers for more than 10 weeks, not to talk of 3 months.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:34pm On Aug 30, 2023
Mccullum:
Fantastic... may God bless your business.
Thank you. may he bless yours too
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:34pm On Aug 30, 2023
viyon02:
Good job bro. I love hard working dudes like you.
Thank you
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by isabi2lof: 9:35pm On Aug 30, 2023
Nice one
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 9:36pm On Aug 30, 2023
zhirkovrado:

Man the agrited we once knew is not what we have now. My aunt brood them the last time and we saw too many variable growths, it may look normal but it's not so. Some where sold but there are still some we are feeding uptill date cos they were like having stunted growth. We went out to observe and realized it was same with other farmers of the product. We realized not all the hybrids are the same. Besides I knew Olam right from the time I graduated from secondary school. I was even a sales boy to a vet dealing strictly with Olam products and the customers testimonies were highly positive. That's why I opted for them. Mind you it's my first time of doing it practically ever since then. Meanwhile my aunt is a pro in the system.

Points duly noted.
Quick question though: does your aunt buy her Agrited chics by herself from the hatchery in Ibadan, or does she order her purchase through a high-end agent/distributor?
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by HRHKingOliver(m): 9:36pm On Aug 30, 2023
bluefilm:
Man's inhumanity to powerless and defenseless animals.

Imagine being raised so that you will be eaten at the end of it all?

grin grin grin ;DVery funny comment here
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Box34: 9:37pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
After over 10 years of abandoning this business, my mum has decided to pick it up again (yes, she is the one brooding not me).

Ive decided to post this here for possible future reference. I didn't pay much attention when i was younger

On this thread, i will share what is cost to start this business from scratch, and i will also share daily updates to enable anyone to use this as a practical guide to start their own business.

Follow this thread if you're interested

Thanks for the knowledge

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 9:38pm On Aug 30, 2023
Xkale1996:
why do use newspaper to cover the floor

Same reason you put socks on the feet and mittens on the hands of babies. Prevent them from cold and germs.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Papayaayasager(m): 9:40pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
Items bought to start the busines

1 four cartons of agrited broilers - 74,000
2 charcoal pit - 1500
3 feed - 11500
4 Feeder(6) & drinker(5) - 6600
5 1 bag of charcoal - 6000
6 1 and half divider board - 4500
7 kerosene lamps(2) - 6000
8 drugs (glucose, vitamin, antibiotics) - 3100
9 iron net for covering pit (2) - 1000
10 old newspapers - 500

Pics of their home

Which of the feed is it starter?

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by OlujobaSamuel: 9:40pm On Aug 30, 2023
Well done op.
However, something is wrong with the birds having cough at that early stage, and I don't think your handling of it is poor, so I'm not sure it's from your handling.
Checking the birds and the carton, I doubt it's from Agrited. Kindly check the seal by the carton side if it's intact, also, Agrited normally dye their birds, so you can easily confirm if the color you got tally with the date, your birds do not looked dyed, so I doubt the source.
Btw, next time, don't insist on a product except you want to go to the hatchery yourself for such product, don't trust any agent. Just request for prices of different product and make your decision from there, if you prefer Agrited, call them to request for the agent or rep in your state.
I don't know your state, but considering the weather, 2½ bag of charcoal is a little much, try save cost, the temperature from day 1 is around 36⁰ then it reduces gradually. I used 1bag for for 3cycles(200, 100, 100) here in Lagos.
The tylo you are giving them, kindly stop it so they don't build resistance against it, give them a lighter drug, so if they should fall sick tomorrow, you can easily use it and they will respond.
Tylo and Amoxicol are little too strong for baby birds.
You can get doxycycline and administer only prevention dose for them, it will treat them, no need to use treatment dose, as that's a double dose which might be too strong.
Well done once again, dey no go die, and you go live to eat your reward.
Regards to Mama. God bless all mothers.

16 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Tijani009: 9:40pm On Aug 30, 2023
zhirkovrado:
My chicks are from Olam(Chikum) and their feeds also Chikum. Still less than two weeks old but bigger than your above chicks. I'm not capping, just an update I'm not trying to advertise any company but try Olam(Chikum) products next time and the results will speak for you. Also feeds are really costly now so try going for the quantity of chicks you can afford to feed at a time to avoid stories that touches the heart.

Cani get contacts to buy from them
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Tosin4luv(m): 9:41pm On Aug 30, 2023
Well done, we are learning
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by bestbenbb: 9:44pm On Aug 30, 2023
God bless your hussle. No be small thing broilers rearing take my eye see. Well all the best .

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by OlujobaSamuel: 9:45pm On Aug 30, 2023
zhirkovrado:

People are buying so many fake Agrited ooo, thinking it's original. Agrited don't sell 100/200birds so you have to go through agents whose integrity you can't vouch for
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by superjaks(m): 9:46pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

Consumable size in six weeks ? That is not proper. Brooding alone is 3-4 weeks

Wait o

Are you rearing the birds for personal or commercial consumption?

If it's for the later, then I think you won't be in profit on the long run
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by HRHKingOliver(m): 9:48pm On Aug 30, 2023
I need a poultry farmer that can be supplying broilers around Enugu. Hit me up with your WhatsApp/phone number.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Tijani009: 9:48pm On Aug 30, 2023
Shampoo77:

You rear broilers for 3-4 months and expected to make profits? You can only raised broilers for 3-4 months and make profits only December period. It is advisable you se broilers between 8-10 weeks.
Non festive period what should be the cost of 10 weeks boiler, and are there market for them when its not festive period?
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by zhirkovrado(m): 9:49pm On Aug 30, 2023
Tijani009:

Cani get contacts to buy from them
Look for trusted dealers closer to you and tell them you wish to book for Olam chicks. Include their feeds too.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by JOSBOLA(m): 9:49pm On Aug 30, 2023
Well done bro

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by zhirkovrado(m): 9:49pm On Aug 30, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

People are buying so many fake Agrited ooo, thinking it's original. Agrited don't sell 100/200birds so you have to go through agents whose integrity you can't vouch for
It ok, we all know everything is possible now.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by zhirkovrado(m): 9:50pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

That wouldn't be an ussue wink
We are brooding for a month
That's nice!
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Clinghton: 9:50pm On Aug 30, 2023
Nice
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Newyorkitis(m): 9:51pm On Aug 30, 2023
Following this lovely, profitable thread diligently.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Me Working On My Melon (egusi) Farm This Morning / Obiano Flags-off Construction Of N15bn Poultry Farm(Photos) / Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.