Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,547 members, 7,816,330 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers (31305 Views)

How To Brood Poultry Chicks In Nigeria / Gas Brooder Can Brood 1000 Birds For Sale 07062828943 / Dont Be Fooled, Here Is A Practical Cost Analysis Of Raising 100 Layer Birds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by OlujobaSamuel: 9:51pm On Aug 30, 2023
zhirkovrado:

It ok, we all know everything is possible now.
Abi na. Na when I just started me too dey find Agrited, as my eyes clear, I stick to a product that has been giving me result always Cockerel, Broiler n Pullet
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by 21NAUGHTYUTY(m): 9:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
My dad bought 40 broilers, 1 died so far, how many weeks is yours please? As for the feed we bought ours for around 11k, it last us for a week and a half .. oh before I forget, we have rabbits too, the feed from the chicken feed too though most times they eat leaves... It's fun rearing the young ones, wahala starts when they are grown and u hv to deal with their big excretion....and constant perking on you when u put your hand in their cage... Poultry farming is great to be honest.

6 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 9:58pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:
- Putting feed on the bare litter material for day old chics to "snack" on was and is a poultry practice that defies logic. If those birds were not properly vaccinated from the hatchery, you'd have had more deaths for that very mistake.

- Tray feeders are no longer advisable for brooding. The idea of chics stooling in their feed and pecking in it, is partly responsible for early coccidiosis. There are modified chic feeders that are price friendly.

- Even if electricity cannot be afforded, kerosene lamps are bad for chics. They're very contributory to Chronic respiratory disease. Small solar lights are serving that purpose now.

- You're wasting medications with the amount of water you're using for your brooding. One drinker of water is enough to meet any round of watering for all 200 chics. A tablespoon of medicine in a drinker, stirred, then shared into other drinkers can serve the purpose, since the water gets replaced three times daily.

- Your vaccination process is a bit worrisome, especially looking at that black container you're mixing it in, which is the same you use to wash drinkers. You're setting yourself up for fowl typhoid, and believe me, that's one illness that 80percent of inorganic veterinary medicines cannot treat.

- Agreeably, heat is important to regulate their temperature, but be certain to properly ventilate that brooding pen whenever the sun starts to come up. Circulation of that "smokey" heat not only causes CRD, but hampers proper growth.
You seem to know a lot about poultry bizz but i can tell you that my mum started this business when she was still backing me and stopped when i was in ss2 to venture into other things. she was very successful while at it.

Now...

-If you look well youd see a led bulb in their house.
Those lamps you see there are not cheap. It cost 12k to get the both of them. The lamps were bought the evening the chicks arrived so It was a hasty decision.

- ogbeni you are wrong. One drinker is not enough for 200 birds. Haba !

-you need to be calming down bros. We didn't use the black bucket for mixing the vaccine. We used the white one.

- we always ventilate their house when necessary.

Thank you for your advice. We learn every day

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by SaLongs1(m): 10:01pm On Aug 30, 2023
bluefilm:
Man's inhumanity to powerless and defenseless animals.

Imagine being raised so that you will be eaten at the end of it all?

You this woke generation perhaps you prefer the world to eat sand and drink water on it so as not to cause pain to anything.

4 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by UmehzEmmanuel(m): 10:02pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Ultima is not a fine feed for day old brooding. Chikun works better. Has more nutrients for muscle mass and bone activity. Ultima serves on the same level as Vital feed.

You're right.
Though I prefer New Hope to Chikun.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:02pm On Aug 30, 2023
Shampoo77:

You rear broilers for 3-4 months and expected to make profits? You can only raised broilers for 3-4 months and make profits only December period. It is advisable you se broilers between 8-10 weeks.
Yes i know. We will be selling them of after 4 weeks. Thats why the title of my thread says brooding.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 10:03pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

Consumable size in six weeks ? That is not proper. Brooding alone is 3-4 weeks

The moment your newspapers or carton litter materials are replaced with wood dust and your birds moved to larger spaces, you're done with brooding. And no professional commercial poultry farmer broods for more than 10 days.

That guy was right. Broilers should be ready for sale from 7 weeks.

2 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by SaLongs1(m): 10:04pm On Aug 30, 2023
Wokeness is a modern malaise of this generation.
cris83:

The meat and fish that YOU yourself eat on a daily basis, wasn't the cow and fish also rared from when they were small?? Inhumanity my foot!!!

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:05pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Properly raised broilers should be ready for sale from exactly 8 weeks, that's about 2 months. If over 60percent of your 200 broilers do not weigh 2.8kg upwards at week 8, then your practices were wrong. No commercial poultry farmer keeps broilers for more than 10 weeks, not to talk of 3 months.
Calm down and read. We are selling them after 4 weeks. We are not rearing them for Christmas
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Freeko4: 10:07pm On Aug 30, 2023
Educative

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:08pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

The moment your newspapers or carton litter materials are replaced with wood dust and your birds moved to larger spaces, you're done with brooding. And no professional commercial poultry farmer broods for more than 10 days.

That guy was right. Broilers should be ready for sale from 7 weeks.
Says who grin
it seems like youre a trouble maker. I wont reply you again
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by legba1(m): 10:10pm On Aug 30, 2023
Hallams:
Ultima is a nice brand. I haven't tried Ross 308 before but I hope to try my hands on them soon. Keep updating us sha. God bless you!

Ross 308, thats Agrited breed, i still prefer it to Abbor Acre + .
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:11pm On Aug 30, 2023
superjaks:

Wait o

Are you rearing the birds for personal or commercial consumption?

If it's for the later, then I think you won't be in profit on the long run
They will be sold after 4 weeks and a lot of profit would be made
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 10:11pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

Calm down and read. We are selling them after 4 weeks. We are not rearing them for Christmas

You should actually be the one to calm down and read.

Someone asked you how long you raise broilers before they're ready for sale, and you said 3 to 4 months. And I'm letting you know again, that no commercial poultry farmer raises broilers beyond 7 to 8weeks. At that point, they should be very ready for sales.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by SaLongs1(m): 10:12pm On Aug 30, 2023
Very educative post. I once read ogwu leaf gardening on this forum and tried it step by step with robust success. Please you guys should keep it up.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by superjaks(m): 10:13pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

They will be sold after 4 weeks and a lot of profit would be made

Yes that's better

Goodluck 👍
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Abbeytoy(m): 10:13pm On Aug 30, 2023
cris83:

The meat and fish that YOU yourself eat daily, wasn't the cow and fish also rared from when they were small?? Inhumanity my foot!!!

Even the vegetables if he wants to claim vegetarian.

Abi he dey go inside the bush to pluck the Gods own

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 10:14pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

Says who grin
it seems like youre a trouble maker. I wont reply you again

Oga, I don't know how and where you're seeing trouble in my responses. Like others, I'm following your updates and chipping in corrections where necessary, but you seem to have problems with being corrected.

There's nowhere poultry brooding is done for 3 to 4 weeks. NOWHERE! Not even in the US.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by SaLongs1(m): 10:14pm On Aug 30, 2023
[ quote author=BoldBrainz post=125473730]

Someone asked you how long you raise broilers before they're ready for sale, and you said 3 to 4 months. And I'm letting you know again, that no commercial poultry farmer raises broilers beyond 7 to 8weeks. At that point, they should be very ready for sales. [/quote] His, probably got stunted.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:15pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Someone asked you how long you raise broilers before they're ready for sale, and you said 3 to 4 months. And I'm letting you know again, that no commercial poultry farmer raises broilers beyond 7 to 8weeks. At that point, they should be very ready for sales.
Did you see where i also said depending on how big you want them. What is wrong with me wanting to rear them for 3 months ?

Go and sleep

2 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by aysnoopy(m): 10:15pm On Aug 30, 2023
Kingsnairaland:
what is the substitute for kerosene lamp.

Use normal rechargeable lamp for lightening and use charcoal for heat

2 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by SaLongs1(m): 10:17pm On Aug 30, 2023
Abbeytoy:

Even the vegetables if he wants to claim vegetarian.

Abi he dey go inside the bush to pluck the Gods own
That fellow should be eating sand drinking water only with his wokeness.

4 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Biodun556(m): 10:17pm On Aug 30, 2023
I have 50 and they 10 days old.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:18pm On Aug 30, 2023
superjaks:

Yes that's better

Goodluck 👍
Thanks man
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 10:20pm On Aug 30, 2023
SaLongs1:
[ quote author=BoldBrainz post=125473730]

Someone asked you how long you raise broilers before they're ready for sale, and you said 3 to 4 months. And I'm letting you know again, that no commercial poultry farmer raises broilers beyond 7 to 8weeks. At that point, they should be very ready for sales. His, probably got stunted.

That's most likely the case.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 10:26pm On Aug 30, 2023
UmehzEmmanuel:

You're right.
Though I prefer New Hope to Chikun.

Never heard of the New Hope feed before, but I'll research on it and probably use it subsequently, if it's up to standard.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:26pm On Aug 30, 2023
adeoba2008:
Nice but I have some observations bed on your pictures. Stop using lantern for them and make sure your charcoal does not have dusts. By now once they have wings they need fresh air. You over-covered their house

I have 100 that am breeding presently including 5 Turkey
Okay. Thanks for sharing the bolded
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by azikiweironsi(m): 10:27pm On Aug 30, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:
Well done op.
However, something is wrong with the birds having cough at that early stage, and I don't think your handling of it is poor, so I'm not sure it's from your handling.
Checking the birds and the carton, I doubt it's from Agrited. Kindly check the seal by the carton side if it's intact, also, Agrited normally dye their birds, so you can easily confirm if the color you got tally with the date, your birds do not looked dyed, so I doubt the source.
Btw, next time, don't insist on a product except you want to go to the hatchery yourself for such product, don't trust any agent. Just request for prices of different product and make your decision from there, if you prefer Agrited, call them to request for the agent or rep in your state.
I don't know your state, but considering the weather, 2½ bag of charcoal is a little much, try save cost, the temperature from day 1 is around 36⁰ then it reduces gradually. I used 1bag for for 3cycles(200, 100, 100) here in Lagos.
The tylo you are giving them, kindly stop it so they don't build resistance against it, give them a lighter drug, so if they should fall sick tomorrow, you can easily use it and they will respond.
Tylo and Amoxicol are little too strong for baby birds.
You can get doxycycline and administer only prevention dose for them, it will treat them, no need to use treatment dose, as that's a double dose which might be too strong.
Well done once again, dey no go die, and you go live to eat your reward.
Regards to Mama. God bless all mothers.

Nice submission.
If you don't mind, I would love to have your contact as regards a reputable and trusted Agrited Agent that you can vouch for preferably in Ibadan.
Thank you sir.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 30, 2023
Coldzobo your thread is very educative, interesting and inspiring! More powers to your elbow.
However, I think you should be more open-minded and embrace constructive criticisms and divergent, but sensible views.
Surely you and your mom cannot claim to know it all, even if you have been in the business for decades.
But good job so far!
grin

3 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:31pm On Aug 30, 2023
ojun50:
Good job, keep it up and greet mumC she is doing well, but take note of the observation and corrections too.
Thank you. Will sure do
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Sprints3: 10:31pm On Aug 30, 2023
I will encourage people to encourage and emulate the OP agriculture is good keep the good work we need more food and more animals we don't want a situation where later humans will be more than animals.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by DrDax: 10:32pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Never heard of the New Hope feed before, but I'll research on it and probably use it subsequently, if it's up to standard.

That's the best feed in the market for now.

Especially their 'yellow bags'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Obiano Flags-off Construction Of N15bn Poultry Farm(Photos) / Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis / Does Apple Grow In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.