Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,175 members, 7,811,418 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers (31248 Views)

How To Brood Poultry Chicks In Nigeria / Gas Brooder Can Brood 1000 Birds For Sale 07062828943 / Dont Be Fooled, Here Is A Practical Cost Analysis Of Raising 100 Layer Birds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:34pm On Aug 30, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:
Well done op.
However, something is wrong with the birds having cough at that early stage, and I don't think your handling of it is poor, so I'm not sure it's from your handling.
Checking the birds and the carton, I doubt it's from Agrited. Kindly check the seal by the carton side if it's intact, also, Agrited normally dye their birds, so you can easily confirm if the color you got tally with the date, your birds do not looked dyed, so I doubt the source.
Btw, next time, don't insist on a product except you want to go to the hatchery yourself for such product, don't trust any agent. Just request for prices of different product and make your decision from there, if you prefer Agrited, call them to request for the agent or rep in your state.
I don't know your state, but considering the weather, 2½ bag of charcoal is a little much, try save cost, the temperature from day 1 is around 36⁰ then it reduces gradually. I used 1bag for for 3cycles(200, 100, 100) here in Lagos.
The tylo you are giving them, kindly stop it so they don't build resistance against it, give them a lighter drug, so if they should fall sick tomorrow, you can easily use it and they will respond.
Tylo and Amoxicol are little too strong for baby birds.
You can get doxycycline and administer only prevention dose for them, it will treat them, no need to use treatment dose, as that's a double dose which might be too strong.
Well done once again, dey no go die, and you go live to eat your reward.
Regards to Mama. God bless all mothers.
Wow, Thanks. I learnt a lot from this
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:35pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Oga, I don't know how and where you're seeing trouble in my responses. Like others, I'm following your updates and chipping in corrections where necessary, but you seem to have problems with being corrected.

There's nowhere poultry brooding is done for 3 to 4 weeks. NOWHERE! Not even in the US.
If he broods for 4 weeks and still makes good profit, how is that a problem for you?
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by bluefilm: 10:41pm On Aug 30, 2023
SaLongs1:
You this woke generation perhaps you prefer the world to eat sand and drink water on it so as not to cause pain to anything.

This is not about being woke.

This is about showing your conscience.

How can another person or animal's pain bring you so much joy and relief?

Does it sit well with you?
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Emzzy(m): 10:41pm On Aug 30, 2023
Great work. I'm following 👍

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 10:45pm On Aug 30, 2023
OgogoroFreak:
If he brood for 4 weeks and still makes good profit, how is that a problem for you?

When you're giving the public a step-by-step approach towards actualizing any initiative, you have to differentiate between standard practices and personal specifications. That's the mistake he's making that has to be corrected.

Standard practice does not put brooding at 3 to 4 weeks. That's his personal approach to brooding and he has to specify that to the audience.

8 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by limitless777(m): 10:46pm On Aug 30, 2023
Blitzking:
That's great..200birds for 74k that good

Guy stop deceiving people here abeg.
200 day old chicks for 74k?
HABA!!!

A chic as at last week was N250. The highest in three months. Three weeks and back a chick was just N200.

Na wah O. 🚶🏼‍♂️ 🚶🏼‍♂️ 🚶🏼‍♂️
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by SaLongs1(m): 10:47pm On Aug 30, 2023
bluefilm:

This is not about being woke.

This is about showing your conscience.

How can another person or animal's pain bring you so much joy and relief?

Does it sit well with you?
Yes it sits well with me, in fact the only animal exempt from my teeth is the human being all others when we'll cooked, fried, barbecued, skewered are fair game.

2 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Paracetamol01: 10:47pm On Aug 30, 2023
I wish you well

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:47pm On Aug 30, 2023
FOJEM:
Coldzobo your thread is very educative, interesting and inspiring! More powers to your elbow.
However, I think you should be more open-minded and embrace constructive criticisms and divergent, but sensible views.
Surely you and your mom cannot claim to know it all, even if you have been in the business for decades.
But good job so far!
grin
Trust me. I have learnt a lot from this thread.
The guy quotting me upandan was out for my head. He sounded passive aggressive.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:48pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

When you're giving the public a step-by-step approach towards actualizing any initiative, you have to differentiate between standard practices and personal specifications. That's the mistake he's making that has to be corrected.

Standard practice does not put brooding at 3 to 4 weeks. That's his personal approach to brooding and he has to specify that to the audience.
He stated his own practice that worked for him step by step.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by coldzobo: 10:49pm On Aug 30, 2023
OgogoroFreak:
If he broods for 4 weeks and still makes good profit, how is that a problem for you?
Bros shey you don see problem ? grin

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Abbeytoy(m): 10:50pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Standard practice does not put brooding at 3 to 4 weeks. That's his approach to brooding and he has to specify that to the audience.
What's standard practice required
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by limitless777(m): 10:50pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
Day 2
One of the birds died sad

We heated up their house this morning because it rained.

We changed thier drinking water and gave them vitamins + antibiotics. One spoon each in two full drinkers.

Glucose is for Day 1 for stability.
Antibiotics from Day 2 to 6.
Multivitamins from Day 7 to 8.
Anticocci from Day 9 to 14.
Lassota Vaccination on the 15th Day.

I don't understand how or where you got your calendar from.

Mixing Antibiotics and Multivitamins from Day 2??

CHAI!!!
🚶🏼‍♂️ 🚶🏼‍♂️ 🚶🏼‍♂️

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Covid19is4real: 10:52pm On Aug 30, 2023
Nice one coldzobo. Hope i didn't come late. I'm Abbey, I sell all kinds of the old chicks (originals) would be glad if i could be patronized. I have made a post about the advert before.
I'm based in Obasanjo farm, oluyole ibadan. Thanks all, & God bless.
Keep up the good work
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by limitless777(m): 10:59pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:
Day 8
Today makes it a week since the birds arrived so we got them vaccinated.

The name of the vaccine we gave them is called Gomboro. It costs #1,100

Giving your birds vaccine can be very, very dangerous if you're not careful. Like, it can actually kill them.

Gomboro Vaccination isn't until the Day 20 Sir. You got me lost completely.
Here are some tips to your birds vaccine the right way:
1. Open the bottle of vaccine inside the bucket of water. (See pic below)

2. deprive your chicks of water the night before. This makes them so thirsty that they drink the vaccine in a short period of time.

3. Its advisable to give your birds vaccine in the morning before the sun makes their house hot.

4. Keep heat away from their house during vaccination. If you can, open their doors for proper ventilation.

5. Their vaccine should be administered in a Maximum of 2 hrs. Wether they finish or not, one its two hours, remove it. (This is why you need to starve them)

6. Dont pour the vaccine on the ground when administering. This could lead to overdose and then kill your birds.

7. Dispose left over water outside your house. including the one you used to wash the drinkers after giving the the vaccine

8. After giving them the vaccine, wait for like an hour before giving them ordinary water (no drugs inside)

Pic 1 Gomboro vaccine
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by OlujobaSamuel: 10:59pm On Aug 30, 2023
azikiweironsi:

Nice submission.
If you don't mind, I would love to have your contact as regards a reputable and trusted Agrited Agent that you can vouch for preferably in Ibadan.
Thank you sir.
I don't have any agent contact. I stopped using agent. I do only Zartech and I go direct.
If you are in Ibadan, you can easily get Agrited although you might spend a little.
Go to their hatchery (around Alomaja, Idi Ayunre road) on market day (Mon and Thursday), you will see willing agents outside ready to sell on the spot there, they add their mark-up and sell to you.
The disadvantage is that if there is high demand, the markup will be higher than booking ahead with the agent, but it is worth it.
You can easily select and remove any weak bed unlike when they send to you through drivers.
To get a reliable agent, check their site for contact, call them to request for approved agent around you, they will give you the contact
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by limitless777(m): 11:03pm On Aug 30, 2023
BoldBrainz:

Agrited chics are way better than Olam. If you're having good sizes, it's all down to your feeding commitment and level of attention. Chikun makes good feed, but they don't hatch quality chics.

What of Y2Farm?
It's been a sad story 😞 from some people who patronise them, according to.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by azikiweironsi(m): 11:04pm On Aug 30, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

I don't have any agent contact. I stopped using agent. I do only Zartech and I go direct.
If you are in Ibadan, you can easily get Agrited although you might spend a little.
Go to their hatchery (around Alomaja, Idi Ayunre road) on market day (Mon and Thursday), you will see willing agents outside ready to sell on the spot there, they add their mark-up and sell to you.
The disadvantage is that if there is high demand, the markup will be higher than booking ahead with the agent, but it is worth it.
You can easily select and remove any weak bed unlike when they send to you through drivers.
To get a reliable agent, check their site for contact, call them to request for approved agent around you, they will give you the contact

Okay. Thank you sir.
I really appreciate your response.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 11:07pm On Aug 30, 2023
limitless777:

What of Y2Farm?
It's been a sad story 😞 from some people who patronise them, according to.

Never patronised Y2farms, so I can't give any recommendations or observations in that regard.
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 11:15pm On Aug 30, 2023
OgogoroFreak:
He stated his own practice that worked for him step by step.

He did. Which was fine. Until people started to ask questions to know more, and his subsequent responses prompted readers like me and a few others to begin putting in corrective statements. It is supposed to be an interactive thread. And you might argue that poultry farming is done according to the discretion of the farmer, but you cannot negate what has long been standard practices.

I know a farmer who doesn't use veterinary medications from week 3. He has his organic combinations of herbs, leaves and certain seeds/fruits that he blends and administers to fight poultry ailments, and it works for him. Doesn't mean he has to put that up in a public conversation forum as a standard farming practice.

Personally, I don't even use manufactured medications to combat fowl typhoid or manage newscastle disease. I have tested and proven remedies that I cannot pass off as standard practices.

Hope you dig??

9 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by BoldBrainz(m): 11:20pm On Aug 30, 2023
Abbeytoy:

What's standard practice required

Brooding lasts between 7 to 10 days. Once the first vaccination is done, chics can be relocated to the permanent pen.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by ellizy(m): 11:20pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

3-4 months depending on how big you want them to be
Aren't they broilers??
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by OlujobaSamuel: 11:22pm On Aug 30, 2023
azikiweironsi:

Okay. Thank you sir.
I really appreciate your response.
Thanks. Uwc
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by EwuuGambia: 11:39pm On Aug 30, 2023
Mention me when they are ready to be eaten abeg.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by westfield: 11:43pm On Aug 30, 2023
You are trying but there is still more to learn.....first lantern in a brooding house not advisable because of the smoke......and you are pumping your birds too much antibiotics its not good for human consumption.

Cough or CRD you can treat with ginger, garlic, pepper and acv....with this you reduce the intake of antibiotics

The food tray for the birds really small am sure you noticed most of the birds are not uniformed

Anyways nice one on your journey

3 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by papilo90(m): 11:46pm On Aug 30, 2023
coldzobo:

You seem to know a lot about poultry bizz but i can tell you that my mum started this business when she was still backing me and stopped when i was in ss2 to venture into other things. she was very successful while at it.

Now...

-If you look well youd see a led bulb in their house.
Those lamps you see there are not cheap. It cost 12k to get the both of them. The lamps were bought the evening the chicks arrived so It was a hasty decision.

- ogbeni you are wrong. One drinker is not enough for 200 birds. Haba !

-you need to be calming down bros. We didn't use the black bucket for mixing the vaccine. We used the white one.

- we always ventilate their house when necessary.

Thank you for your advice. We learn every day

Op Weldone. You and your mum are doing a great job. However I implore you to open to criticisms and corrections. Your mum might have been doing this before you were born, but it doesn’t mean what she’s doing is the best practice.
I think the aim of that project is profit, and if it is, then you should open up to take some corrections. I actually have quite a number.
First thing I’ll like to tell you is that you can raise your birds to whatever age you desire, but note that profitability is at its peak when you raise broilers at the highest of 6 weeks, 7 weeks max.
You should have a target weight you’re looking at. And that will determine the amount of feed to allocate to the birds.
The correlation of your final average weight to the feed consumed (FCR feed conversion ratio) will tell you how well you have done.
Like I said earlier, if your aim is profit, please take the following corrections.
1. Your brooding “like people said” should be between 5-10 days depending on the weather condition. Most times, I don’t use charcoal beyond 6 days. Only in cold seasons I use up till 10 days.
2. Your pen needs to be well ventilated, even if in the first few days of brooding, you might need ventilation especially during the hot hours of the day. That’s why you see farms use nylons. So that it can be raised and dropped to control the temperature.
3. I’m against the use of those tray feeder beyond a max of 48hrs after chicks arrival. I’ll explain why. I personally use them for just 24 hrs, after which I switch to other chicks feeders which I use till the birds are 10-13 days old before I change to the common adult feeders. Note birds will clog together and sleep inside the tray feeders. They will also poo inside it. The feed inside will become moist and eventually cake. Thereby making you scrape it off. That’s feed wastage.
4. You need to get a small sensitive scale to ensure precision and avoid overdose when administering drugs. All drugs have its dosage and it’s important you follow that.
I have a lot more to say, but ruminate on the above first.
I raise my broilers for a max of 42 days, we start culling at 4 weeks 4 days. And it’s a continuous cycle all year round.
Note I do 8k birds.
If you need pictures, ask I’ll send to you. If you need to come to the farm too, I’ll grant you, in as much as you’re willing to learn. My farm is in Ibadan.
Once again WELDONE.

Before I forget, you were most probably overcharged for the DOC, birds have been selling for btw #200 - #280 in the past few months.

13 Likes

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Hallams(m): 12:17am On Aug 31, 2023
legba1:

Ross 308, thats Agrited breed, i still prefer it to Abbor Acre + .
maybe I'll try Ross this for December. I've heard so much good things about the breed
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Hallams(m): 12:30am On Aug 31, 2023
DrDax:

That's the best feed in the market for now.

Especially their 'yellow bags'.
New hope is a very good brand! Expensive but worth the price
Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by Hallams(m): 12:33am On Aug 31, 2023
BoldBrainz:
- Putting feed on the bare litter material for day old chics to "snack" on was and is a poultry practice that defies logic. If those birds were not properly vaccinated from the hatchery, you'd have had more deaths for that very mistake.

- Tray feeders are no longer advisable for brooding. The idea of chics stooling in their feed and pecking in it, is partly responsible for early coccidiosis. There are modified chic feeders that are price friendly.

- Even if electricity cannot be afforded, kerosene lamps are bad for chics. They're very contributory to Chronic respiratory disease. Small solar lights are serving that purpose now.

- You're wasting medications with the amount of water you're using for your brooding. One drinker of water is enough to meet any round of watering for all 200 chics. A tablespoon of medicine in a drinker, stirred, then shared into other drinkers can serve the purpose, since the water gets replaced three times daily.

- Your vaccination process is a bit worrisome, especially looking at that black container you're mixing it in, which is the same you use to wash drinkers. You're setting yourself up for fowl typhoid, and believe me, that's one illness that 80percent of inorganic veterinary medicines cannot treat.

- Agreeably, heat is important to regulate their temperature, but be certain to properly ventilate that brooding pen whenever the sun starts to come up. Circulation of that "smokey" heat not only causes CRD, but hampers proper growth.
Boss, Can you recommend the best drugs for CRD? I occasionally have issues with it in some of my productions

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by AutomaticMotors: 12:52am On Aug 31, 2023
bluefilm:
Man's inhumanity to powerless and defenseless animals.

Imagine being raised so that you will be eaten at the end of it all?

[center][/center] grin grin

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by OgogoroFreak(m): 2:18am On Aug 31, 2023
BoldBrainz:

He did. Which was fine. Until people started to ask questions to know more, and his subsequent responses prompted readers like me and a few others to begin putting in corrective statements. It is supposed to be an interactive thread. And you might argue that poultry farming is done according to the discretion of the farmer, but you cannot negate what has long been standard practices.

I know a farmer who doesn't use veterinary medications from week 3. He has his organic combinations of herbs, leaves and certain seeds/fruits that he blends and administers to fight poultry ailments, and it works for him. Doesn't mean he has to put that up in a public conversation forum as a standard farming practice.

Personally, I don't even use manufactured medications to combat fowl typhoid or manage newscastle disease. I have tested and proven remedies that I cannot pass off as standard practices.

Hope you dig??
I don't remember him saying his method is the standard or official practice.

This thread is about him showing and letting us know how he does it.

1 Like

Re: A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers by seanery: 2:23am On Aug 31, 2023
Las Las na chemical we dey eat

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Great Money Making Opportunity: Tap Into This Under Exploited Goldmine / Thunder Kills 23 Cows In Ekiti / A Beekeeper's Trip To Okaka, Oyo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.